Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

SShaw 12th November 2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 377417)
NUDE NUNS WITH BIG GUNS. Rather smart rape revenge film with a real flavour of 70s exploitation without being wank. Excellent wailing saxophone rock sludge music heightens the sleaze of the multiple rape scenes. Pretty good.

Great. I keep on picking this up and then putting it back down because I doubt the film can live up to the title (see for example Strippers vs. Werewolves). I will perhaps give it a chance based on your recommendation.

trebor8273 12th November 2013 08:56 PM

Lord of the rings return of the king

Great end too a perfect trilogy, great battles fantastic music and acting. I too love the central theme of the movie that proves that even the smallest and weakest of us has the power to change the world for the better, this is showing with the hobbits who evolve more than any other character, none more than Sam I just find the scene near the end were Sam says

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

To be very emotional and always brings a lump to my throat, ok it might be corny but it's a wonderful scene that shows the true meaning of friendship and courage. 10/10

Next up the wolf man(remake) I actually really enjoy this movie and found it too be the best of all the remakes of the classics universals.

PaulD 12th November 2013 09:16 PM

Sitting down to watch my Arrow BD of TCM2 with a glass of red wine :pop2:

nosferatu42 12th November 2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 377438)
Lord of the rings return of the king

Great end too a perfect trilogy, great battles fantastic music and acting. I too love the central theme of the movie that proves that even the smallest and weakest of us has the power to change the world for the better, this is showing with the hobbits who evolve more than any other character, none more than Sam I just find the scene near the end were Sam says

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

To be very emotional and always brings a lump to my throat, ok it might be corny but it's a wonderful scene that shows the true meaning of friendship and courage. 10/10

Next up the wolf man(remake) I actually really enjoy this movie and found it too be the best of all the remakes of the classics universals.

I like Return of the king but find the final scenes really drag, i mean it goes on for about half an hour after the ring has been disposed of and the slow motion reunion makes me wanna puke. Still say 2 towers is the best.:)

PaulD 12th November 2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 377441)
Sitting down to watch my Arrow BD of TCM2 with a glass of red wine :pop2:

Said glass. Meant bottle. I luv you guyzzzsshhhhh

keirarts 13th November 2013 07:26 AM

Oasis of the Zombies.

Uneven and quite dull, I still managed to sit my way through all of Franco's living dead in the desert odyssey without clawing my eyes out. I actually like the look of the zombies and all the people who show up at the Oasis to get eaten are annoying enough to deserve it. It looks good on Blu, Redemption's refusal to do restorations is actually not a bad thing for some of the films they release and with oasis the scratchy yet detailed looking print gives it a real 'revival screening' feel. The odd music and weird atmosphere are interesting but this is still a hard film to recommend as it's a real slog to get through.

Runaway train.

A real find for me as this is one I missed out on first time round. Very well crafted and some great performances including an almost unrecognizable Rebecca De mornay. A sleek well acted melodrama becomes something more thanks to the great direction. Glad I bough this!

ArgentoFan1987 13th November 2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 377447)
I mean it goes on for about half an hour

This sums up every scene from every LOTR film! (Actually, just the first two. I couldn't bring myself to watch third one).

Rik 13th November 2013 09:41 AM

After reading loads of good reviews, many of which written by members here, I decided to give Byzantium a watch last night.
Wow, definite top 5 film of 2013 for me, I loved absolutely everything about it.
I like how the filmmakers ditched the usual conventions for vampire films-no reflection, allergy to sunlight and water, sharp teeth, but kept the rule of "you're not allowed in unless I invite you". And, the way the two leads differ in how they feed was excellent, real breath of fresh air for the genre.
I was worried that it was going to turn into something resembling a recent franchise I refuse to name in the same post of this excellent film, especially with teenage love story element of the plot, but thankfully it didn't.
If you haven't seen this, then I highly recommend you do as it really is fantastic.
10/10

PaulD 13th November 2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 377539)
I like how the filmmakers ditched the usual conventions for vampire films-no reflection, allergy to sunlight and water, sharp teeth,

Yeah but when Twilight does that people start to complain... :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th November 2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 377545)
Yeah but when Twilight does that people start to complain... :)

I think the poor acting, plot, effects, and dialogue may have also had a teensy bit to do with it ;)