Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Make Them Die Slowly 24th October 2011 11:03 AM

"The Song Remains the Same". Led Zeppelin's 1973 concert in New York mixed with fantasy footage of the band. Quite fun in places.

Demoncrat 24th October 2011 11:08 AM

The Rats...high grade cheese (but not if youre rodentally challenged)
Dark night...Scarecrow remembered this from when it was on telly, Durning's best performance id say, shifty, sweaty, sleazy little man...this is on the list, would make a great double bill with Twitch of the Death Nerve but then i would say that ;)
The Wizard of Oz watching this with the comm, informative so far, great archive interviews etc
TBWP...once a year i watch this. have never watched sequel, and dont want to...trailer made me feel icky:rolleyes:
aaaand last AND least is Dagon. wow.never thought id see a HPL comedy....oh, wait it wasnt meant to be funny... pity as i was laughing my arse off. and no offence to the Spanish people, but maybe getting actors who can innuciate english might work better....easily the most let down ive been by a film since....The Dunwich Horror...hmm i see a trend forming...

interesting to see a review of The Woman as this is on the double bill with Tenebrae....:)

PaulD 24th October 2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 192476)
[COLOR="Red"]
TBWP...once a year i watch this. have never watched sequel, and dont want to...trailer made me feel icky:rolleyes:

Forgive the ignorance but what film is this?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th October 2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 192507)
Forgive the ignorance but what film is this?

At a guess, The Blair Witch Project.

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th October 2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 192514)

I had no idea either, Blair Witch sounds right though.

PaulD 24th October 2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 192514)

Ah, of course! Thanks!

Make Them Die Slowly 24th October 2011 11:06 PM

"Paper Moon". Utterly fantastic, it gets better and better with each viewing.:)

Pete 25th October 2011 12:36 AM

Currently watching DON'T GO IN THE WOODS. Oh dear...

Phurious 25th October 2011 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 192138)
Martyrs. Excellent film indeed. Especially the first hour or so before the truth unravels.

Yeh, I was so enthralled by the first half of the film and then it spiralled out of control for me. I was much more intrigued by the questions and less interested in the answers.
Still a powerful film though.

Phurious 25th October 2011 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 192363)
[

Attack the Block - Despite the stereotypical OTT East London accents and slang that plagued the film, I quite enjoyed this one. Well executed with an interesting concept, too.

I wouldn't say they were OTT judging from what I hear every day :) The number of kids who pass by my window 'chatting' like that means I've become inured to it to some degree, but I'd say Cornish and those actors did a spot on job of representing a slice of London youth culture - blud :tongue1:

(The lurking pedant in me wants to say it's south London too ;) )

sjconstable 25th October 2011 05:44 AM

The House of the Devil, what a pleasant surprise! It kept me in suspense throughout, and I do love a good occult horror. The main girl looked just like Suzy Bannion from Suspiria in parts haha! 7.5/10.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th October 2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 192679)
I wouldn't say they were OTT judging from what I hear every day :) The number of kids who pass by my window 'chatting' like that means I've become inured to it to some degree, but I'd say Cornish and those actors did a spot on job of representing a slice of London youth culture - blud :tongue1:

(The lurking pedant in me wants to say it's south London too ;) )

In order to write my review, I went through all the extra features and it's surprising how little acting the kids did in terms of their voices, with some sounding exactly like the characters when casually chatting offscreen.

Also, it was set in South London, where Joe Cornish lived for a while and was mugged, something he used for inspiration.

Make Them Die Slowly 25th October 2011 09:06 AM

"Crypt of Dark Secrets", terribly dull and slow moving witchcraft/voodoo film by the director of "Mardi Gras Massacre" enlivened every so often by a greasy looking witch shaking her hoodoo humps in a series of ritual dances. However this SWV release contains the excellently titled, LSD short film "Acid Skull" which is worth a look for fans of psychedelic bump and grind.

DryJack 25th October 2011 09:43 AM

Watched "Zombie Diaries 2". The acting and story were actually a lot better than I thought they'd be but the zombies were lame. I love slow moving zombies but these guys pretty much stood still!

Also watched "The Pack". I just love French horror at the moment and although this isn't the best film ever it had a great atmosphere and some nice moments. The old woman was a brilliant character and the creatures were cool. The scene when you first see them crawl out of the ground was great.

PaulD 25th October 2011 09:54 AM

Watched Paranormal Activity 1 and 2 late last night as I'm off to see the third one tonight. Still pretty enjoyable and scary even if the jump shock stuff gets a bit forumaulaic after a while. Was surprised how much of the 3rd one seems to be hinted at in the first two, if my suspicions are correct.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th October 2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryJack (Post 192718)
Watched "Zombie Diaries 2". The acting and story were actually a lot better than I thought they'd be but the zombies were lame. I love slow moving zombies but these guys pretty much stood still!

Also watched "The Pack". I just love French horror at the moment and although this isn't the best film ever it had a great atmosphere and some nice moments. The old woman was a brilliant character and the creatures were cool. The scene when you first see them crawl out of the ground was great.

I also enjoyed The Pack. It stands out from the rest as its not the ususal bunch of high school brats in the cast.

InDogWeTrust 25th October 2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 192730)
I also enjoyed The Pack. It stands out from the rest as its not the ususal bunch of high school brats in the cast.

I won The Pack here on Cult Labs a while back...I still have yet to watch it, Should do that sometime soon!

Rik 25th October 2011 03:31 PM

Just had a double bill of kids films with my boys. Flushed Away first, excellent Aardman film with a great cast of voices followed by Wall:E, even though the title character is a rip off of Jonny 5 from the Short Circuit films, still a highly enjoyable film as is to be expected from Pixar, I'm yet to see a bad film from them.

Sometimes, dead is better

Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. 25th October 2011 06:12 PM

Watched The Last Circus the other night, absolutely insane. Wonderful Blu. Easily his most polished film to date. Hopefully it will sell well and lead to more of his films getting awesome high def releases.

pedromonkey 25th October 2011 10:12 PM

what did i watch hmmm....

A Christmas Carol: the new Version directed by Robert Zemekis, boring as chuff, just a straight version of the book and the mocap animation was just creepy, there was no heart in the film, I'll be sticking to the muppet version from now on.

Step Brothers: Normally cannot stand Will Ferrel but i find this film hysterical, i shouldn't but it's that dumb gross out childish comedy that you need sometimes.

The Quest: Jean Claude Van Damme directs this adventure film that's a cross between Mortal Kombat and Allan Quartermain. Dunno why this is an 18, there's barely any violence apart from the fight scenes, but they're really shot, good film though.

platostotal 25th October 2011 11:04 PM

CHILDREN OF THE CORN, one of the 80s horrors that just passed me by(despite coverage in Fangoria) just seemed like a rip on THE OMEN. Never bothered on video, but picked it up on dvd in a Poundshop, turns out it's a pretty good mid-west USA horror more in common with THE WICKER MAN(not in the same league, of course) but much better than I expected. A good double with PHANTASM maybe.

Phurious 26th October 2011 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 192932)
CHILDREN OF THE CORN, one of the 80s horrors that just passed me by(despite coverage in Fangoria) just seemed like a rip on THE OMEN. Never bothered on video, but picked it up on dvd in a Poundshop, turns out it's a pretty good mid-west USA horror more in common with THE WICKER MAN(not in the same league, of course) but much better than I expected. A good double with PHANTASM maybe.

I highly recommend this (it's in two parts) Disciples Of The Crow, one of King's first dollar babies and it was made a year before the Children of the Corn feature:

Stephen King's DISCIPLES OF THE CROW (1983) 1/2 - YouTube

Phurious 26th October 2011 04:37 AM

I saw Videdrome on the big screen at a midnight showing at the weekend.

It's a film that I've seen loads and love, but BIG and LOUD enhanced the experience tenfold.
Shore's score really unpinned Renn's downward spiral and the effects, well they still hold up superbly after all these years (apart from the close ups of the revolver morphing into Max's hands - but it's such an amazing idea you don't care if it looks a tad fake).

It appeared that a number of people in the audience hadn't seen it before judging from the gasps and guffaws - what a film to see for the first time at the cinema?

Tonight I've got a double of The Prowler and the original My Bloody Valentine to look forward to at the cinema! :cool:

Demoncrat 26th October 2011 09:47 AM

watched
North By Northwest and Strangers on a Train both with the comms.
Lehmann's comm for NBNW interesting if repetitive, the Strangers 1 is a mish mash of archive interviews (including hitch himself) and is a great listen if you know the film well (and the book!)
both films look great though i did notice some grain on NBNW...

also watched Dead Birds...a US civil war set haunted house tale....was ok until i realised that the ending was telegraphed severely early on.
Buio Omega a curse on BTD haters....still as repellent as when i first saw it, and it looked quite lovely on me telly...blu-io omega next methinks!!

Wes 26th October 2011 02:01 PM

Saw Exit Throught the Giftshop which I really liked but two complaints - Geoff Barrow's dull soundtrack - I expected better from the Portishead man, and adding Air's Kelly Watch the Stars was a low point... Something along the lines of Burial would have been much better. Second thing I didn't like was the choice of narrator - Rhys Ifans, the Welsh dude from Nothing Hill and Twin Town... Anyway, if you like documentaries this is a threat...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-gift-shop.jpg

mercury 26th October 2011 06:52 PM

Blood From the Mummy's Tomb. Quite liked this one. Oh and Valerie Leon was one hot mummy;)

Make Them Die Slowly 26th October 2011 10:18 PM

"The Smurfs". Sometimes being a parent is the shittiest job in the world.

Phurious 27th October 2011 08:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Saw My Bloody Valentine (original) and The Prowler last night as part of Cigarette Burns Lacerated Lovers double bill at the Prince Charles Cinema in London.

I'd seen neither before, although I had seen the MBV 3D remake at the cinema (the first and only 3D film that I actually enjoyed) and I knew that Savini was behind the effects for TP.

Anyway apart from the twats who kept talking and scrunching their sweet wrappers at the back it was a great night and the films were both thoroughly enjoyable, although I slightly preferred MBV as it had a more unusual setting and featured one of the best lines of dialogue I've ever come across:

Patty talking about a dress to Sarah:

"It's cut down to here (motions to her cleavage) and slit up to here (points to the top of her leg)."

:nod:

MBV was a more light hearted and shonky affair, but the killer looked great in his gas mask and he had a more varied way of despatching his victims, which I liked too.
Also it was amazing to see an X certificate screen opening a film and one of the reels towards the end went lurid pink - all added to the atmosphere.

The Prowler was quite different. It was much slicker and way more abstract, leaving the audience with loads of unanswered questions, but this was no bad thing and Savini's effects were executed with aplomb.
There were some great music cues too that put me in mind of Wendy/Walter Carlo's synth work for Kubrick - droney stabs that were really atmospheric.

So two excellent films and now I can't wait for their next event which is Fulci's House By the Cemetery!

Oh, almost forgot I also picked up one of Cigarette Burns limited edition T-shirts that they print up for their events and this one was designed by this forum's very own Slippery Jack! I think you'll agree it looks pretty damn awesome: :nod:

James Morton 27th October 2011 01:04 PM

What films have you seen recently?

MY BLOODY VALENTINE (original and remake) and THE PROWLER are excellent slahers
the original MBV sp.ed which I've got is one flm I was wanting to see for years uncut

Rik 27th October 2011 01:05 PM

While clearing some space on my Sky + box ready for all the Halloween goodies, I found Childs Play that I recorded months ago. Just finished watching it and I've got to say it's not like I remember it from my younger days! Enjoyable enough but I put that down to the excellent work of Brad Dourif

Sometimes, dead is better

Slippery Jack 27th October 2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 193170)
Oh, almost forgot I also picked up one of Cigarette Burns limited edition T-shirts that they print up for their events and this one was designed by this forum's very own Slippery Jack! I think you'll agree it looks pretty damn awesome: :nod:

Woo hoo! So at least one person bought one - that's good :lol:

What happened to the Videodrome design? I was looking forward to seeing that one . . .

Phurious 27th October 2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 193221)
Woo hoo! So at least one person bought one - that's good :lol:

What happened to the Videodrome design? I was looking forward to seeing that one . . .

Oh, there were a few purchases don't you worry.

No Videodrome one done though :tsk:

Daemonia 27th October 2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 193023)
Anyway, if you like documentaries this is a threat...

Why are you threatening people who like documentaries? :lol:

gag 27th October 2011 03:56 PM

I recorded all the tv series the fades just started watching it,
Not to bad better than i was expecting.

wongfeihung62 27th October 2011 04:58 PM

Just watched "Five Deadly Venoms" again. Always a pleasure to watch and with another informative commentary from the maestro Bey Logan.

pedromonkey 27th October 2011 05:35 PM

recently watched these....

The THING (1982) John Carpenter's version is far superior to the original, although that is still a great film. From the opening to the final scene, it's just masterfully crafted and Rob Botin's FX are unbelievable, the best ive ever seen. The Blu ray looks utterly fantastic and is definitely worthy of an upgrade from Doov'd.

Pretty In Pink (1982): never seen this before, enjoyed it. Good 80s teen comedy from the master of 80s teen comedies, John Hughes starring Molly Ringwald.

Stephen@Cult Labs 27th October 2011 05:46 PM

Glad you enjoyed Pretty In Pink. I'd also recommend another John Hughes written film, Some Kind Of Wonderful starring Eric Stoltz, Lea Thompson and Mary Stuart Masterson. It's basically Pretty In Pink with the roles reversed.

Prince_Vajda 27th October 2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 193286)
The THING (1982) John Carpenter's version is far superior to the original, although that is still a great film.

The THING (1982): the original from 1951 is far superior to John Carpenter's version, although the latter is still a great film.

I took the liberty of correcting your sentence. It must have been a slight slip of the tongue, I guess? ;)

Greetings!

pedromonkey 27th October 2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 193346)
The THING (1982): the original from 1951 is far superior to John Carpenter's version, although the latter is still a great film.

I took the liberty of correcting your sentence. It must have been a slight slip of the tongue, I guess? ;)

Greetings!

how rude....lol, nah, i love the original but i feel Carpenters version is the better of the two, maybe because is the '82 version before the '51 version.

monkeyscreams 27th October 2011 09:50 PM

Eyes without a face (1960)
A real masterpiece this one, with some macabre scenes that you won't forget. And also a sad but wonderful story. I recommend this to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.