Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Vipp 2nd August 2014 02:25 PM

I was perusing the 100 greatest horror thread and saw BE had left his list of 100 films. I saw a few titles i didn't know and chose one to watch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 412901)
Updated list (not a massive change from my last posted list):

14. The Tenant (1976)

I saw this on Youtube just now and have to say it was brilliant.The whole film is disarming but builds tension that builds up to an odd and satisfying climax. just brilliant. :) Thanks BE!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd August 2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 412970)
Go for Fascination.

It's probably Rollin's most accessible work. The scenes featuring Brigitte Lahaie and the scythe are iconic in horror cinema.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 412971)
Everyone has their own taste but The Night of the Hunted does absolutely nothing for me.

The Iron Rose and Grapes of Death are both fantastic. I'm not sure i'd recommend The Iron Rose to a Rollin newcomer though as it could be quite easily seen as boring.

I know what you mean about The Iron Rose as, unless you really love the ambiguity, mystery and atmosphere, you could mentally switch off. I second your recommendation of Fascination though.

nosferatu42 2nd August 2014 02:57 PM

I'd recommend Rollin's 'Iron Rose' and 'Fascination' as well.:nod:
But i also quite like 'Shiver of the vampires' and 'Requiem for a vampire' myself.:)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 2nd August 2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 412973)
I was perusing the 100 greatest horror thread and saw BE had left his list of 100 films. I saw a few titles i didn't know and chose one to watch.

I saw this on Youtube just now and have to say it was brilliant.The whole film is disarming but builds tension that builds up to an odd and satisfying climax. just brilliant. :) Thanks BE!

Glad you enjoyed it, Vipp. :)

J Harker 2nd August 2014 03:44 PM

Watched the RoboCop remake last week. Basically what you'd have left if you took the humour, violence and social commentary out of the original.
Entertaining enough but easily forgettable. Joel Kinnamon wasn't great casting either.

This morning I watched Ice Cold in Alex for the first time. What a great film, I'm only recently starting to get into war films and this one was excellent.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd August 2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 412986)
This morning I watched Ice Cold in Alex for the first time. What a great film, I'm only recently starting to get into war films and this one was excellent.

Did it leave you wanting a cool drink of Carlsberg?

Carlsberg 'Ice Cold In Alex' TV ad - 30 sec advert - YouTube

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd August 2014 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Blind Date (1984)

Another of Greek director Nico Mastorakis's films for Omega Pictures. Joseph Bottoms (The Black Hole) stars as a man who goes blind following an accident. Doctors find nothing wrong with his eyes and so offer him an experimental method of sight using brain electrodes and a computer like walkman device which enables him to see electronic outlines of objects in his brain. Meanwhile a taxi driver is abducting and murdering young women by performing amateur surgery on them. Naturally the two strands of the story converge into one come the last third of the film.

Mastorakis was on a fine streak of film making in his days with Omega Pictures. Blind Date was his first for the company and he never looked back, directing sterling efforts such as Nightmare at Noon and Edge of Terror along the way. Blind Date is a stylish horror thriller with added sci-fi elements. Quite disturbing in places, the kills, although blood is never seen, are protracted scenes and quite methodical and sleazy in their approach.

Mastorakis in only his second film after Island of Death brings together a good cast in the aforementioned Bottoms, Keir Dullea, Kirstie Alley and Marina Sirtis of soon to be Star Trek fame. As a nice exploitation trick he also manages to get each of his many actresses, including Alley, to go topless at some stage or another, mainly in their death scenes. As for the sci-fi experimental sight device, it's quite primitive in it's use and definitely dates the film yet also comes across as a decent tension grabber when Mastorakis uses it in that respect.

Blind Date is a fast moving film and has a giallo style aproach to it, where we never see the killer until the final reel although there are clues throughout.

Another cheap as chips release from Hollywood Dvd. Blind Date has a fine looking 1:88:1 print and is certainly worth the time for most giallo / slasher fans.

VeZius 2nd August 2014 04:30 PM

Thanks for the Jean Rollin tips guys. :) I think I'll get the Fascination BD from Redemption at some point.

No one mentioned The Living Dead Girl, what do you guys think of it? Since I have that one already. I got the DVD for 3€ and Rape of the Vampire DVD for 1€, so no huge losses(?) there anyways.

keirarts 2nd August 2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeZius (Post 412989)
Thanks for the Jean Rollin tips guys. :) I think I'll get the Fascination BD from Redemption at some point.

No one mentioned The Living Dead Girl, what do you guys think of it? Since I have that one already. I got the DVD for 3€ and Rape of the Vampire DVD for 1€, so no huge losses(?) there anyways.

I agree with a lot of the reccomendations.

I really enjoyed living dead girl and rape of the vampire.

I should also add here that as a teenager I hated Rollin and Jess Franco. Now I love their work. They are directors you can grow into over time.

demonknight 2nd August 2014 06:22 PM

Sometimes They Come Back (1991);

Watched the German Blu release last night. Decent enough transfer but definitely not 'top notch'. An okay flick, not quite how I remembered it from years ago. Still, it was nice to see it again. Amicus giant, Milton Subotsky, acted as co- producer on STCB. Director, Tom McLoughlin's wife gets a cameo like she did in Friday the 13th part VI. Good movie, not a bad way to spend ninety eight minutes ;)