Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Handyman Joe 22nd January 2012 09:16 PM

Another triumph for blu ray - Manhunter. Last time I saw this I thought it was a garish 80s relic - not any more, picture is superb, even the dodgy fashions seem acceptable in HD. As for the movie - one of the best procedurals of all time, the scene where Graham twigs about the cine film still sends prickles up my spine. And the tiger scene. And the flaming wheelchair. And Iron Butterfly at the end. Tom Noonan and William Peterson - perfect and not forgetting Brian Cox as Lecktor. To sum up - what a movie! buy this blu!

mortisha adams 22nd January 2012 09:40 PM

im watching 127 hours now. not to sure what to make of it. :)

Prince_Vajda 22nd January 2012 10:05 PM

Kiss of the Dragon. An excellent flick. The action is top-notch, the movie's pretty fast-paced, and Arbogast's cinematography is outstanding. Who needs all this 3D crap - simply learn how to handle a camera, boys, and take some lessons from this gifted Frenchman!
As for the cast: Jet Li's performance is cool as usual, Bridget Fonda is a stunner (although she's playing a hooker on drugs), and Tchéky Karyo (one of my favourite actors!) plays an excellent villain.
Look out for Burt 'Cato' Kwouk in a small, but likeable role.

Highly recommended. :smokin:

Greetings!

Frankie Teardrop 22nd January 2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scyther (Post 211021)
Watched The Boogeyman last night. Solid and suspenseful. Definitely enjoyed this ex-video nasty!

An all time fave of mine for sure. For all its generic aspects and obvious steals I've always found it to possess an oddness that defies easy capture, although many others disagree - reckon it gets tarred with the 'hackneyed tripe' brush far too easily.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd January 2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 211059)
Kiss of the Dragon. An excellent flick. The action is top-notch, the movie's pretty fast-paced, and Arbogast's cinematography is outstanding. Who needs all this 3D crap - simply learn how to handle a camera, boys, and take some lessons from this gifted Frenchman!
As for the cast: Jet Li's performance is cool as usual, Bridget Fonda is a stunner (although she's playing a hooker on drugs), and Tchéky Karyo (one of my favourite actors!) plays an excellent villain.
Look out for Burt 'Cato' Kwouk in a small, but likeable role.

Highly recommended. :smokin:

Greetings!

Snap.

Never a star but always adds gravitas to any film. :cool:

pedromonkey 22nd January 2012 11:08 PM

Just finished watching Hatchet 2 and after really enjoying the first film can honestly say it's shit. While the gore towards the end is good, the first 60 minutes is basically Danielle Harris crying followed by some more crying, then some gore. It also looked cheap and after Adam Green's Frozen which had some great cinematography i would have expected better. People talk up Digital and while it can come in handy, Film is how this type of movie should be shot on.

Gojirosan 22nd January 2012 11:32 PM

Gojira/Godzilla (1954)

A superb film. Gets better every time I see it. And I see it a lot. Powerful and downbeat. This is exceptional emotional film-making.

keirarts 23rd January 2012 09:55 AM

Watched my way through everything on my blue velvet blu-ray. The deleted scenes are amazin and definately add more background to the movie. Primarily Jeffrey's dysfunctional relationship with his mother. The level of detail and general picture quality is astounding, I noticed a lot of things in the movie i'd never picked up on before, like the fact jeffrey wears an earring! overall the blu is a must buy!

Then I watched caliber 9 the first of the films on the di leo crime set. Cracking good crime movie with plenty of twists and double crosses. Well worth watching. Great PQ as well!

PaulD 23rd January 2012 01:23 PM

Watched The Resident last night as wanted something not too taxing. Was ok for what it was, been done before and fairly predictable but enjoyable enough. I wanted more out of the ending though, it just sort of finished.

Christopher Lee's character was clearly something of an afterthought though - total waste of time.

Demoncrat 23rd January 2012 02:41 PM

since im a semi invalid at the moment, ive been watching a few things...

The Oblong Box (Optimum UK) great to see again (last time was when twas on itv im sure...) far more bloody than I remember, can easily see why it's a 15...one for the list yadda yadda...

Double Dare (2004) documentary about stuntwomen focusing on Zoe Bell and Jeannie Epper...good enough though could have been longer i felt...

Kill Theory. one of those "with friends like these, who needs enemies?" type films, apart from a rather brutal spade murder, twas rote AND by-the-numbers...pass.

tried to watch VATLD again....thank feck for tramadols i say;);) enjoyed it more...which doesnt really help i suppose.....

pedromonkey 23rd January 2012 03:21 PM

watched Easy Riders, Raging Bulls this afternoon, a very insightful documentary on the hollywood renaissance in the late 60s taking in everything from Dennis Hopper, Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorsese to the amount of drugs that were used during that period. Really good, there should be more docs about cinema like this.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd January 2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 211140)
watched Easy Riders, Raging Bulls this afternoon, a very insightful documentary on the hollywood renaissance in the late 60s taking in everything from Dennis Hopper, Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorsese to the amount of drugs that were used during that period. Really good, there should be more docs about cinema like this.

I didn't know it even existed.

I have the book, but alas, not got round to reading it yet.

Gojirosan 23rd January 2012 03:46 PM

The book is great. READ IT! :lol:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd January 2012 08:55 PM

As I was in a bit of a historical mood yesterday,I watched De Laurentis's take on THE BOUNTY again.
Early signs of Hannibal there Mr Hopkins......

Another title that is long overdue on BD.

Vangelis's score is superb.

Scyther 24th January 2012 12:32 AM

Tony Arzenta: Big Guns. Fantastic, stylish poliziotteshi with a great Gianni Ferrio score! 'Twas a bit cut (Sandra's beating scene), but overall print was in good shape; loved it!

mercury 24th January 2012 09:54 AM

Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th 2
Friday the 13th 3
Friday the 13th 4
Friday the 13th 5
Friday the 13th 6
Hadn't seen some of these for a while but they are still as good as I remember them:)

Adjustment Bureau....I enjoyed this one alot. I thought it was cool how the used all the sci fi to make what is basically to me a love story very entertaining:nod:

True Grit
Say Anything....nice film but not as good as I remember it to be.

stevie21 24th January 2012 10:19 AM

Watched the 2nd Friday the 13th the other night, it was the only one I hadnt seen. I liked it a lot, although as with most film remakes/trilogies etc, the 1st one is always the best in my opinion

James Morton 24th January 2012 03:02 PM

What films have you seen recently?

Peckinpah's CROSS OF IRON
excellent war film and a very good performance from James Coburn
saw this originally on tv a long time ago
eventually bought the R1 Hens Tooth anamorphic release

my Dad saw this when it was first released and thought it was the bloodiest film he had seen

marvinnashsear 24th January 2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 211052)
Another triumph for blu ray - Manhunter. Last time I saw this I thought it was a garish 80s relic - not any more, picture is superb, even the dodgy fashions seem acceptable in HD. As for the movie - one of the best procedurals of all time, the scene where Graham twigs about the cine film still sends prickles up my spine. And the tiger scene. And the flaming wheelchair. And Iron Butterfly at the end. Tom Noonan and William Peterson - perfect and not forgetting Brian Cox as Lecktor. To sum up - what a movie! buy this blu!

Can I ask, does the theatrical cut have the "manufacturing a monster" speech towards the end of the film? I always liked this piece of dialogue and was disapointed it wasn't in the directors cut. I've heard this is the true theatrical cut that I first saw before Mann tinkered with it and just want to make sure before I buy it.

Handyman Joe 24th January 2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvinnashsear (Post 211349)
Can I ask, does the theatrical cut have the "manufacturing a monster" speech towards the end of the film? I always liked this piece of dialogue and was disapointed it wasn't in the directors cut. I've heard this is the true theatrical cut that I first saw before Mann tinkered with it and just want to make sure before I buy it.

To be honest I can't remember hearing that line and it was the theatrical cut I watched - wouldn't swear it wasn't there though, I might've missed it.
Sorry not to be more help!

wongfeihung62 24th January 2012 08:40 PM

SISTER STREET FIGHTER - HANGING BY A THREAD. Another hugely,enjoyable slice of Etsuko Shiomhi. As she slices and dices her way through another collection of weird and wonderful comic-book style martial arts villains. Also stars a young Yasuaki Kurata.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/taj-hob/ssf2.jpg

Nordicdusk 24th January 2012 08:41 PM

I just watched the Exterminator such a great film gotta go and order the Blu Ray now.

pedromonkey 25th January 2012 02:31 AM

recent viewings....

ABDUCTION: Pretty average teen action film starring Taylor Lautner as the kid that former russian black ops soldiers are looking for so they can use him as leverage to get his father (who he doesn't know and happens to be a spy) to hand over a database of names of people who have sold info to the other side. Pretty much your average chase movie with retard face as the main star. Uninspired but if you have 106 minutes free, it's not a bad switch off brain film.

WARRIOR: absolutely brilliant film that focuses on two estranged brothers who both enter an MMA contest. Much more in here than that mini plot synopsis though as the story of their pasts and the relationship with their alcoholic father beats in the background of all the face bashing. Top turns from everyone involved, Tom Hardy, Joel Edgerton and especially Nick Nolte who has been nominated for an oscar for this. Highly recommended.

Handyman Joe 25th January 2012 05:02 AM

Went to the GFT last night to see the 'new digital print' of one of my favs - Herzogs Nosferatu. It looked great, a few degraded scenes but leaps and bounds over the Anchor Bay DVD - amazing detail and colour, will always be a slightly gauzy looking movie but I loved this transfer. Queston is are these new prints (Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo have also been on) indicators of blu rays down the line? (I know there's a French one but it's not even German friendly never mind English) Surely if they've gone to the trouble of digitally restoring these films they'll be blu rayed? A program of Herzog's 70s/80s classics in Hi Def would be my dream, even moreso than the Universal Monsters and Hammer and I'm desperate enough for those.

keirarts 25th January 2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 211494)
Went to the GFT last night to see the 'new digital print' of one of my favs - Herzogs Nosferatu. It looked great, a few degraded scenes but leaps and bounds over the Anchor Bay DVD - amazing detail and colour, will always be a slightly gauzy looking movie but I loved this transfer. Queston is are these new prints (Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo have also been on) indicators of blu rays down the line? (I know there's a French one but it's not even German friendly never mind English) Surely if they've gone to the trouble of digitally restoring these films they'll be blu rayed? A program of Herzog's 70s/80s classics in Hi Def would be my dream, even moreso than the Universal Monsters and Hammer and I'm desperate enough for those.

which version of nosferatu? the anchor bay dvd has two different prints. Either way though I'll definately upgrade to blu-ray for herzogs back catalouge!

Gojirosan 25th January 2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 211518)
Either way though I'll definately upgrade to blu-ray for herzogs back catalouge!

Hell yes!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th January 2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

I'll definately upgrade to blu-ray for herzogs back catalouge!

Same here.

Last night, I watched the Region A Women in Cages Collection (Big Doll House, The Big Bird Cage, Women in Cages). The Jack Hill ones are great with some bizarre humour to go with the tougher aspects of the films but Women in Cages has none of the humour and is a really bleak and tough film with Pam Grier as an incredibly sadistic lesbian matron with a mediaeval torture chamber!

Susan Foreman 25th January 2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 211052)
Another triumph for blu ray - Manhunter...As for the movie - one of the best procedurals of all time, the scene where Graham twigs about the cine film still sends prickles up my spine. And the tiger scene. And the flaming wheelchair. And Iron Butterfly at the end. Tom Noonan and William Peterson - perfect and not forgetting Brian Cox as Lecktor. To sum up - what a movie! buy this blu!

On a par with Skynyrd at the end of 'The Devil's Rejects' I think

Handyman Joe 25th January 2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

which version of nosferatu? the anchor bay dvd has two different prints. Either way though I'll definately upgrade to blu-ray for herzogs back catalouge!

It was the original German rather than the English version. Slightly longer I think - there were a couple of scenes I didn't remember but that could just be incipient senility.

Meant to say, (probably a different thread this) but I think Kinski's performance in this movie is tied with Karloffs Frankenstein as horror's greatest ever performance - they are both incredible at portraying something completely alien yet somehow sympathetic, even tragic.

marvinnashsear 25th January 2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 211461)
To be honest I can't remember hearing that line and it was the theatrical cut I watched - wouldn't swear it wasn't there though, I might've missed it.
Sorry not to be more help!

That's ok, mate.

gag 25th January 2012 08:45 PM

Watched Blood Car

Utter pants one of those films so bad but yet for some strange reason you carry on watching and when the film ends you wish you had turned it off.

Handyman Joe 26th January 2012 07:57 AM

Double bill - I Walked with a Zombie and White Zombie. I love this pair of atmospheric, flickering old movies. Both root the zombie legend in slavery which is as it should be - Romero twigged this in Dawn and gave it a consumerist spin - but the nuances have been lost over the years and now the zombie is just a cannibalistic monster, end of story. Of the two the Lewton is the accepted classic but I think White Zombie is just as good and, in a B-movie way, the more entertaining - the lemming like ending is priceless. The creepy use of music is also fantastic in these films.

DaveJ.W 26th January 2012 10:34 AM

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

**** out of ****

Baseball Fury 26th January 2012 11:04 AM

I'm off work sick, so today I've watched two BD's I've been meaning to get round to.

First up, Al Reinert's majestic For All Mankind (MoC) - An incredible film, some of the imagery in it was so beautiful that at one point I felt tears welling up. Space, eh? What a place.

After a visit from postie with my Neo Giallo Collection (£5.79! Still can't believe it!), I lined up my second film of the day, which was Gore Vidal/Tinto Brass/Bob Guccione's Caligula (Arrow Video). To be honest, it was a bit of a turd. Peter O'Toole wanders round chewing up the scenery, Malcolm McDowell alternates between skipping round like Alan Carr and acting in a full length version of Alex DeLarge's sickbed fantasy and the whole thing looks like the DP dipped his camera in one of the numerous tubs of KY Jelly laying around before rolling. In case you haven't realised, I wasn't a fan.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th January 2012 12:28 PM

Handyman Joe - which edition of White Zombie do you have?

Is it a good print?

I used to have the video from Redemption and need to pick up a decent quality disc of it.

In fact anyone, which edition of White Zombie would you recommend?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th January 2012 01:00 PM

I have the DVD from The Ronan Group, which is the best one available.

Handyman Joe 26th January 2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 211898)
Handyman Joe - which edition of White Zombie do you have?

Is it a good print?

I used to have the video from Redemption and need to pick up a decent quality disc of it.

In fact anyone, which edition of White Zombie would you recommend?

I'm the same - Roan Group. Still jerky in places but as good as its going to get I think. Nice commentary too.

sawyer6 26th January 2012 03:39 PM

Watched Pervert! a true masterpiece with a Career-Defining Role for Mary Carey !

mr 420 26th January 2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 210807)
I watched the Muppet Christmas Carol on Christmas Eve. I bought it on your recommendation Kyle and loved every minute of it. Your post reminded me of it.

I may actually have to pick up another Muppet film, any suggestions?

You can't go wrong with the original Muppet Movie. I adored it as a kid and when I recently revisited it I could not believe the amount of A-listers in it and the gags were brilliant. Well worth a watch.

James Morton 26th January 2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 211550)
It was the original German rather than the English version. Slightly longer I think - there were a couple of scenes I didn't remember but that could just be incipient senility.

Meant to say, (probably a different thread this) but I think Kinski's performance in this movie is tied with Karloffs Frankenstein as horror's greatest ever performance - they are both incredible at portraying something completely alien yet somehow sympathetic, even tragic.

in the R2 Anchor Bay, the Eng edit is 4.25 longer than the German one