Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 17th May 2012 01:51 PM

I actually quite like the sequels. They became more cartoony and silly. But ASITD is easily the best!

Not so sure about the later sequels - they were total crap that just cashed in on the franchise even after Sellers death. Not good.

sawyer6 17th May 2012 01:54 PM

I think Son Of Pink Panther is the worst and it resulted as the tombstone of the series

Scyther 17th May 2012 02:28 PM

Set aside 3 and a half hours of my life yesterday to watch Apocalypse Now Redux....worth every moment! :)

Kyle 17th May 2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scyther (Post 242763)
Set aside 3 and a half hours of my life yesterday to watch Apocalypse Now Redux....worth every moment! :)

what would you recommend as a 1st time viewing of apocalypse now?
the redux version or the shorter version i have both and im going watch it soon, never seen it before .

the blob 17th May 2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 242842)
what would you recommend as a 1st time viewing of apocalypse now?
the redux version or the shorter version i have both and im going watch it soon, never seen it before .

Original. I personally really like most of the additions in Redux but it's a bit convoluted and is probably better after seeing the theatrical version.

Baseball Fury 17th May 2012 06:27 PM

I agree, the plantation sequence only adds on a 2nd/3rd viewing, it adds to the mood, but only when you're watching at as a mood piece rather than experiencing it for the first time

sawyer6 17th May 2012 06:28 PM

Same here!

Kyle 17th May 2012 07:18 PM

cheers everyone , ill watch the normal version 1st

Paul@TheOverlook 17th May 2012 07:33 PM

I envy you, Kyle. Wish I could way h Apocalypse Now for the first time again. :)

Hawkmonger 17th May 2012 07:42 PM

I could gush for hour's about Apocalypse Now. But I wont.

Grane Torino: First viewing. ****ing loved it! At 78 Eastwood still kick's arse! A

The Dictater: Very crude. Very un-PC. Very funny indeed. A-

Nordicdusk 17th May 2012 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 64830

Watched this last night i can see where some later movies got inspiration from great film.

Nordicdusk 17th May 2012 11:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 64834

Fantastic, great story some very brutal scenes there is no holding back here. Min-sik Choi is amazing as the psycho.

Kyle 17th May 2012 11:40 PM

Just finished apocalypse now, I don't get it! Everyone I talk to says hoe amazing this film is but I found it very average and 1 hour too long.

I suppose I should just put it on my list of films that others think I'm mad for not liking, this list includes withnail and i, 2001 a space Odyssey and this is spinal tap.

:fear:

Susan Foreman 18th May 2012 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 242930)
Just finished apocalypse now, I don't get it! Everyone I talk to says hoe amazing this film is but I found it very average and 1 hour too long.

I was going to give this a 'like', because I also found 'Apocalypse Now' to be over long and over rated.

However, I disagree with the final statement here:

Quote:

I suppose I should just put it on my list of films that others think I'm mad for not liking, this list includes withnail and i, 2001 a space Odyssey and this is spinal tap.

because I love 'Withnail' and 'Spinal Tap', so I can only give you a 'li'!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th May 2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

As I've noted on here a few times, I'm not at all keen on Apocalypse Now either, mate - when you asked the question regarding which version to watch, I was tempted to say 'neither!'. ;)

As for Withnail & Spinal Tap - These are another two films which I don't understand the massive love for.

However, I consider 2001 to be fantastic, and one that falls into my top ten of all time.

I think we may need to ressurect this thread: Classic Films You Love To Hate!

:D

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th May 2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 242938)
I was going to give this a 'like', because I also found 'Apocalypse Now' to be over long and over rated.

However, I disagree with the final statement here:

because I love 'Withnail' and 'Spinal Tap', so I can only give you a 'li'!

I can only give you a 'li' for the opposite reasons in regards to the final statement, suzi (possibly a 'ke' instead, then?) ;)

Stephen@Cult Labs 18th May 2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 242950)
I can only give you a 'li' for the opposite reasons in regards to the final statement, suzi (possibly a 'ke' instead, then?) ;)

Wow. looks like we have a man here with no funny bone! :lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th May 2012 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 242953)
Wow. looks like we have a man here with no funny bone! :lol:

Never! I love a bit of comedy. :D

Burial Ground's a comedy, right? ;)

Make Them Die Slowly 18th May 2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 242955)
Never! I love a bit of comedy. :D

Burial Ground's a comedy, right? ;)

No, it's one of the finest examinations of class struggle ever made. It's the Ken Loach of zombie films.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th May 2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 242950)

Withnail & I and This Is Spinal Tap are two of my all-time favourite films, so we definitely don't see eye to eye there! However, Withnail & I is a perfect example of a cult film and one you either love and now practically word for word or just don't 'get it' and can't understand why people love it so much.

fuzzymctiger 18th May 2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

While I love this movie, I can perfectly understand someone not enjoying it, because it's slow and rather odd for a "war" film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th May 2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 242977)
While I love this movie, I can perfectly understand someone not enjoying it, because it's slow and rather odd for a "war" film.

I guess the same would apply to Terrence Malick's superlative The Thin Red Line, a film I think is a masterpiece and superior in almost every department to Saving Private Ryan, which won at the Oscars and tends to get the popular vote.

It's probably a polarising film, a little like Apocalypse Now, which Roger Ebert has just listed in his top 10 greatest films of all time.

DryJack 18th May 2012 09:19 AM

I recently purchased the Chuck Russell "Blob" remake (for old times sake). Still holds up pretty well and the blob effects are fun (although Kevin Dillon's hair is horrific!). I bought the European release as it was a lot cheaper and the blurb on the back describes the blob as a "kwabbige moordpudding" which apparantly means "flabby murder pudding". Ha.

Demoncrat 18th May 2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 242685)
Vertigo boring?? I must have been watching a different film then. It's his sickest film bar none, just think about it......

AAnyway, since my Attack Of The Herbals still hasn't turned up, i showed someone else God Bless America, and it keeps getting funnier every time i see it.

May watch Alyce (came from Poundland) later.

Alyce was well worth it for a £!! some waffle at beginning leads to an old school finish (and i don't mean Ronseal;);))

Gojirosan 18th May 2012 03:36 PM

Orca - I faintly remember seeing this back in the very early days of video rental and seeing a silly, throwaway Jaws rip-off. Over the subsequent years I have read the critical slaughtering the film has had and seen the contempt in which it is held.

However, I am addicted to "monster of the water" films so bought the Italian DVD and rewatched it.

Well...I really liked it! Sure, I can see what people find silly about it, but I let myself buy it and let the film operate within its own world. Clearly it was intended to cash in on Jaws but it is quite different. The big, bitey dolphin is not really the bad guy and this adds a nice element to the story. It seems perfectly well made to me also and has decent performances - despite many internet critics lambasting the FX and Richard Harris's turn. Again, I really liked it.

So...yay, Orca!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th May 2012 05:11 PM

Recent viewings:

http://brick.app2.srv.letterboxd.com...0-222-crop.jpg http://bullitt.app2.srv.letterboxd.c...0-222-crop.jpg http://up.app2.srv.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://brick.app2.srv.letterboxd.com...0-222-crop.jpg http://brick.app2.srv.letterboxd.com...0-222-crop.jpg http://brick.app2.srv.letterboxd.com...0-222-crop.jpg http://moon.app2.srv.letterboxd.com/...0-222-crop.jpg http://brick.app2.srv.letterboxd.com...0-222-crop.jpg http://up.app2.srv.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://up.app2.srv.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg

Gojirosan 18th May 2012 05:18 PM

What was Hanna D like?

gag 18th May 2012 05:26 PM

Watched

Snowtown wasnt as grim bleak disturbing as the impressions i got from reading people veiws and opinions of the film.......as a stand alone film it was good but because its a true story not the type of film id realy recomend because most disturbing thing about this is the fact it realy happend..

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th May 2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 243094)
What was Hanna D like?

It was pretty good - it makes no excuses that it is playing off Christiane F.'s notoriety, and although makes bold claims in regards to its sleazy nature, is not actually that graphic or sleazy (it's actually pretty cheesy in places).

It is very well acted by Ann Gisel Glass who plays Hanna, the teenage tease turned junky prostitute. This enhances the film's impact in a lot of ways, and actually makes for a quite moody picture in places, which contrasts the overall sleazy euro-trash vibe resonating throughout the bulk of the film.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th May 2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 243099)
Watched

Snowtown wasnt as grim bleak disturbing as the impressions i got from reading people veiws and opinions of the film.......

Really?

Snowtown is probably one of the bleakest films I've ever seen.

sawyer6 18th May 2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 243101)
Really?

Snowtown is probably one of the bleakest films I've ever seen.

I totally agree!!

gag 18th May 2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 243102)
I totally agree!!

The film itself didnt bother r phase me if it was just a stand alone film, But the fact that its true is a different thing all together.

Pete 18th May 2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 243100)
It was pretty good - it makes no excuses that it is playing off Christiane F.'s notoriety, and although makes bold claims in regards to its sleazy nature, is not actually that graphic or sleazy (it's actually pretty cheesy in places).

It is very well acted by Ann Gisel Glass who plays Hanna, the teenage tease turned junky prostitute. This enhances the film's impact in a lot of ways, and actually makes for a quite moody picture in places, which contrasts the overall sleazy euro-trash vibe resonating throughout the bulk of the film.

HANNA D is ok but it's nowhere near as sleazy as some make it out to be.

Didn't I sell it to you?

The film has a big to connection to RATS: NIGHT OF TERROR in that it was produced by the same people, features Ann Gisel Glass and Fausto Lombardi, has the same cinematographer and composer and was edited by Bruno Mattei. :)

sawyer6 18th May 2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 243105)
The film itself didnt bother r phase me if it was just a stand alone film, But the fact that its true is a different thing all together.

Yes being a real story,trully heightens the thrill

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th May 2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 243107)
HANNA D is ok but it's nowhere near as sleazy as some make it out to be.

Exactly :nod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 243107)
Didn't I sell it to you?

I think you may have, mate. :)

Kyle 18th May 2012 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=bizarre_eye@Cult Labs;243092]Recent viewings:

http://moon.app2.srv.letterboxd.com/...0-222-crop.jpg

what is this?

sawyer6 18th May 2012 06:26 PM

[QUOTE=Kyle;243131]
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 243092)

Human Centipede 2

Kyle 18th May 2012 06:28 PM

[QUOTE=sawyer6;243132]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 243131)

Human Centipede 2

ahh cheers, just noticed the HC2 at the bottom :lol:

poster is way to sexy for that film :blush:

gag 18th May 2012 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=Kyle;243131]
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 243092)

I thought that at first but saw the centipede so just guessed, like wise didnt notice writting at bottom

PaulD 18th May 2012 06:32 PM

[QUOTE=gag;243136]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 243131)

I thought that at first but saw the centipede so just guessed, like wise didnt notice writting at bottom

Strange, the bottom was all I could focus on :(