Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

bdc 20th May 2012 07:31 PM

Make certain you mention your location when asking about prices though. ;)
So he can calculate the correct shipping.

Just watched Cash Chin's The 3DD Invader (2011). :)

Nice light-hearted college sex comedy with some scifi influences and some patented old school HK craziness.

Obviously made on a relatively small budget,it's not his best work but still very enjoyable considering "HK's golden age of Cat III" was some time ago. ;)

'The 33D Invader' trailer - YouTube

Nordicdusk 20th May 2012 07:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 65394

Attachment 65395 2011

tollickd 20th May 2012 09:47 PM

https://www.planetaxel.com/resources...29_300x200.jpg

fuzzymctiger 20th May 2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 243479)
inception 8/10
apartment 143 6/10
outpost: black sun 6/10

I didn't think Outpost Black Sun was out yet.

Just watched Outpost last night, fantastic effective and atmospheric zombie film with a likable cast. Will gladly watch the sequels, but the ending in the first was a bit of a downer.

artisturn 21st May 2012 04:11 AM

The Manster (1962)

Kyle 21st May 2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 243656)
I didn't think Outpost Black Sun was out yet.

Just watched Outpost last night, fantastic effective and atmospheric zombie film with a likable cast. Will gladly watch the sequels, but the ending in the first was a bit of a downer.

it was dvd-r :fear:

last night i watched

mutants 7/10
drive 8/10

darthelvis 21st May 2012 06:53 AM

The Sect 7/10

mark meakin 21st May 2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 243061)
Orca - I faintly remember seeing this back in the very early days of video rental and seeing a silly, throwaway Jaws rip-off. Over the subsequent years I have read the critical slaughtering the film has had and seen the contempt in which it is held.

However, I am addicted to "monster of the water" films so bought the Italian DVD and rewatched it.

Well...I really liked it! Sure, I can see what people find silly about it, but I let myself buy it and let the film operate within its own world. Clearly it was intended to cash in on Jaws but it is quite different. The big, bitey dolphin is not really the bad guy and this adds a nice element to the story. It seems perfectly well made to me also and has decent performances - despite many internet critics lambasting the FX and Richard Harris's turn. Again, I really liked it.

So...yay, Orca!

Great film:rockon:.Hugely underrated with better modelwork than Jaws when the fake whale is used (Hard to tell when most of the time).Superb & haunting Ennio Morricone score too though the vocal version at the end grates !.If anything more of a 'rip-off' of Moby Dick than Jaws (Though even that steals from MD)

Gojirosan 21st May 2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 243695)
Great film:rockon:.Hugely underrated with better modelwork than Jaws when the fake whale is used (Hard to tell when most of the time).Superb & haunting Ennio Morricone score too though the vocal version at the end grates !.If anything more of a 'rip-off' of Moby Dick than Jaws (Though even that steals from MD)

Yep, HUGE dollops of Moby Dick...er...so to speak!

Love Morricone's score, but that vocal version is. well, "of its time", shall we say! :lol:

The Italian DVD looks great too, and is very cheap.

Regarding the fake orcas, found this one Wikipedia the other day:

Quote:

The main orca used for filming was a trained animal from the San Francisco aquarium, though artificial whales of rubber were used also. These models were so lifelike that several animal rights activists blocked the trucks transporting them, confusing them for real orcas.

Criterion7 21st May 2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 243697)

Love Morricone's score, but that vocal version is. well, "of its time", shall we say! :lol:

The Italian DVD looks great too, and is very cheap.

Regarding the fake orcas, found this one Wikipedia the other day:

Love Orca though I'm kinda biased since it was partly filmed here in Newfoundland.

keirarts 21st May 2012 09:47 AM

Machine gun preacher.

Not as bad as I'd thought it would be, they actually make the main character something of an a$$hole! Dose not flinch for one second in portraying the genuine horrors of the ugandan civil war and the brutality involved. Not the greatest movie ever or anything but worth watching, Michael shannon is very underused imo.

James Morton 21st May 2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 243562)
Nice DePalma double bill. What did you think of Body Double?

imo BODY DOUBLE is a very underrated film and Craig Wasson an underrated actor
one of De Palma's best and one of my fave films of all time
got the R1 sp.ed and R2 dvds

Baseball Fury 21st May 2012 02:17 PM

Anyone seen Dark Shadows yet? Might go watch it tonight.

Susan Foreman 21st May 2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 243697)

Oooh-er! That sounds a bit rude!!!

Presumably you are not referring to the Led Zeppelin song of the same name, which consisted of a John Bonham drum solo (stretched out to over 30 minutes when played live)

James Morton 21st May 2012 02:35 PM

THE FLESH AND BLOOD SHOW - wasn't bad but I still think Pete Walker's best film is SCHIZO

Hawkmonger 21st May 2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 243751)
Anyone seen Dark Shadows yet? Might go watch it tonight.

It's a bit naff. But if you can stand the excentricities of both it's director and lead you'll find it entertaining enough.

Susan Foreman 21st May 2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 243751)
Anyone seen Dark Shadows yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 243768)
It's a bit naff. But if you can stand the excentricities of both it's director and lead you'll find it entertaining enough.

I have not seen it, but considering it's based on a 1960's/70's American television show that (apparently) bordered on being a soap opera, I think that it won't be as well received in the UK as it is in the USA

Gojirosan 21st May 2012 11:01 PM

The Raid - a really quite exceptional film. Transgresses the action genre into something far more. Camerawork, editing, plotting/pacing, acting, FX...everything is just top notch. The last time I saw a film of this ilk that was this impressive was Hard Boiled, twenty years ago. Yes, it is that good. See it at the cinema, there probably won't be a better film this year.

Croc - very enjoyable entry to the "Maneater" series. killer croc in Thailand, Michael Madsen...sweet.

Shark Swarm - another SyFy Maneater. This time relatively epic! Nearly 3 hours in length (was it a mini-series?) with a more impressive cast than usual. Good laugh, and pretty well done. In-jokes for horror fans (locations called "Spivey Point" and "Bodega Bay", a character called Bill Girdler, that kind of thing).

Frankie Teardrop 21st May 2012 11:20 PM

THE RAVEN - People denounce Ulli Lommel as a purveyor of unwatchable trash - they're forgetting he directed the utterly harrowing 'Tenderness of Wolves' and the still great IMO 'The Boogeyman'. Detractors won't revise on the basis of this offering, which does at least manage to be head spinningly bizarre. I can't really sum up the plot of a movie which is more like a collage of 'arty' video sequences, but it has something to do with the singer of an all girl rock band trying to fathom her relationship to E A Poe whilst running from the clutches of the bald slasher who's offing her mates. The film certainly leaves many questions unanswered - for instance, who is the clawed figure who does nothing but drive around for the entire duration? Why does the bald slasher resemble a black nail varnished Irving Welsh lookalike in Rupert the Bear pants at points? Why all the nuns? Maybe just 'Why?' But I really liked it, I love the idea of Ulli cutting loose with a dodgy vid cam and basically doing a Jess Franco in indulging his warped fantasises (not that this is particularly Francoesque, but it has that combination of trash aesthetic and personal touch if you know what I mean).

keirarts 22nd May 2012 12:03 AM

Dodgy but fun monster movie THE OGRE. From the director of the new I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE remake. Not as good as that one and the ogre looks like its from a computer game. I watched this for the gorgeous Katherine isabelle (ginger snaps) and of course the legend JOHN SCHNEIDER. (origional Dukes of hazzard, Smallville and the new killer shrews sequel.) Actually a lot of cheesy fun.

Then HERCULES IN THE HAUNTED WORLD.

Fantastic looking sword and sandal odyssey from the genius mario bava. A lot of fun and the disc looks amazing.

gaahl07 22nd May 2012 09:46 AM

Watched ADAM CHAPLIN at the weekend. All i can say is MENTAL. It is an entertainingfilm to watch that has all the over the top gore of films like Bad Taste and Brain Dead. Worth a watch.

Rhodes 22nd May 2012 09:49 AM

wha..what? vertigo is...what? but...it's one of the best films ever made...
i don't understand.

Demoncrat 22nd May 2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhodes (Post 243932)
i don't understand.

Yes, i know. Whippersnappers eh?;)

fuzzymctiger 22nd May 2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhodes (Post 243932)
i don't understand.

Look, I agree that it's probably one of the best films every made, but best doesn't always mean interesting, and frankly I got bored and I got a bit annoyed with James Stewart, especially after having seen him give a terrific performance in Rear Window one hour earlier to Vertigo.

Now Rear Window, I would say is one of the best films ever made.

Demoncrat 22nd May 2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 243953)
Look, I agree that it's probably one of the best films every made, but best doesn't always mean interesting, and frankly I got bored and I got a bit annoyed with James Stewart, especially after having seen him give a terrific performance in Rear Window one hour earlier to Vertigo.

Now Rear Window, I would say is one of the best films ever made.

I'm a huge Hitch fan, and i love Rear Window (though not as much as Brian De Palma does haha) but it's a thriller pure and simple, Vertigo is a story about an obssessed individual who ruins everything in his pursuit of a unobtainable fantasy (proto giallo anyone?)....this plays against JS' "good guy" image for a start, a brave and subversive move at the time. give it a year and watch it again..........

Please.

Rhodes 22nd May 2012 11:33 AM

i'd say vertigo is hitch's best like chinatown is polanski's best. two perfect perfect top ten 11/10 films for me.

Gojirosan 22nd May 2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhodes (Post 243958)
i'd say vertigo is hitch's best like chinatown is polanski's best. two perfect perfect top ten 11/10 films for me.

I love both those films and rate them very, very highly indeed, but it's Shadow Of A Doubt and The Tenant for me, because I'm twisted like that.

:lol:

Rhodes 22nd May 2012 04:20 PM

what's that kitty cat? you know what happens to people who disagree with my choice of best polanski film? huh? no? :)

Hawkmonger 22nd May 2012 04:21 PM

The Raid: Drokk me sidways with a dyson ball......without a doubt one of the best movies I have seen in a loooooong time. Hype is perfectly justified here people, go and watch it! A* :popcorn:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd May 2012 04:24 PM

Rosemary's Baby is my favourite Polanski film, and as for Hitchcock, it's almost too close to call... a toss up between The Lady Vanishes and Psycho.

Hawkmonger 22nd May 2012 04:25 PM

Polanski: China Town
Hitchcock: Psycho

pedromonkey 22nd May 2012 04:51 PM

Hmmm...

Polanski: China Town
Terrific direction, expert screenplay by Robert Towne, wonderful twisty turny plot and two great performances from both Jack Nicolson in his least over acting role and Faye Dunaway. Brilliant Stuff.

Hitchcock: North By North West
It was a hard choice but it was between NBNW, The Birds and Rope for me, Never really been a fan of Psycho :eek:. NBNW is almost 99.9% relentless thriller that never lets up from the get go. For me it's Cary Grant's best performance and the ending on Mount Rushmore is unbelievably tense.

Gojirosan 22nd May 2012 05:06 PM

Took me a long time to fully appreciate North By Northwest. One of my faves now though.

Kyle 22nd May 2012 05:13 PM

i didn't realize that Chinatown was made by Polanski! why didnt i notice in the credits? :doh: ,makes me glad i didn't pay for the film though, i will take the same stand as i did for clownhouse.

Rhodes 22nd May 2012 05:15 PM

oh kyle how could you! oh well, i suppose i'll let you off because you have such a nice collection of palace vhs.

Kyle 22nd May 2012 05:19 PM

probs messing on my phone during the credits :P

Does what he did put anyone else of buying his films? or is it just me?

PaulD 22nd May 2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 244061)
probs messing on my phone during the credits :P

Not me. Personally, I can seperate the art from the behaviour of the artist. Are Chinatown/Repulsion/Rosemary's Baby/The Tenant/etcetc excellent films? Yes they are. Do the actions of the director detract from that? For me personally, no. I can totally see the other side of the argument though.

Rhodes 22nd May 2012 05:31 PM

ahh..i dont think it's a good idea to start a polanski debate here, but oh well... he did it and it was absolutely disgusting. he went to prison for it, he came out and they tried to put him in prison again, at which point he fled, but he had served his time so..anyway the lady in question long since publically forgave him and there's been no reports of repeat offences. i think the world is safe from him and he doesn't need to be in a prison, and god knows hes been punished plenty, having your wife and unborn child brutally murdered cant be too good for the brain. anyway, that's how i feel about his crime, and that has absolutely zero bearing on what i think of his films. i dont need to like a person to like the films they make.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd May 2012 05:34 PM

I take the same stance as Paul.

Although, I consider Clownhouse to be a different case entirely, as the actual molestation occurred on set at the time of filming.

Gojirosan 22nd May 2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 244061)

Not in the slightest. The art can be appreciated regardless of the artist.

I'm not going to stop listening to Wagner because he was a vile anti-Semite who inspired the Nazis. Nor can I disregard the power and skill of "Birth Of A Nation" or "Triumph Of The Will". Still watch Disney films too!

It's a can o' worms!