Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

TonyBalongi 2nd February 2012 11:34 AM

I watched dawn of the dead city of the dead day of the dead and Caligula

antmumford 2nd February 2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyBalongi (Post 213634)
I watched dawn of the dead city of the dead day of the dead and Caligula

All Arrow Blu's I take it? ;)

TonyBalongi 2nd February 2012 12:12 PM

Yes they where I own most of the films arrow have released I'm waiting for street trash and island of death now

DaveJ.W 2nd February 2012 12:33 PM

Warrior (2011)

**** out of ****

gag 2nd February 2012 01:21 PM

Watched

kill list wasnt realy that impressed took ages to get to going or for anything to happen... i slowly lost interest and just watched for sake of watching

Drive such a long gap in the middle where it was zzzzzzzzzzzz inducing that i realy couldnt be bothers to watch rest because id become so bored...

Demoncrat 2nd February 2012 01:25 PM

also watched Drive....liked, great for a hangover etc.
The Shining (long version)....ah, need i say im very fond of this film? for all it's "faults" i see something new every time....

Make Them Die Slowly 2nd February 2012 01:45 PM

"Beyond Re-Animator". Much better than I expected though it could have done with more sex and gore.

BioZombie 2nd February 2012 01:48 PM

This is about as far from horror as you can get, but I saw The Artist at the cinema last night and it was fantastic!!!

Make Them Die Slowly 2nd February 2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 213668)
This is about as far from horror as you can get, but I saw The Artist at the cinema last night and it was fantastic!!!

Tis certainly that. One of the best films I've seen in ages.

sawyer6 2nd February 2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 213670)
Tis certainly that. One of the best films I've seen in ages.

They've made this film virtually for me :)

Make Them Die Slowly 2nd February 2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 213671)
They've made this film virtually for me :)

How so? Are you either hard of hearing or very old and remember the coming of the talkies?;)

sawyer6 2nd February 2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 213673)
How so? Are you either hard of hearing or very old and remember the coming of the talkies?;)

I love silent films and I love the period!!!!!:)

damek 2nd February 2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler (Post 213651)
Warrior (2011)

**** out of ****

It's always **** out of **** for you, isnt it?

antmumford 2nd February 2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damek (Post 213678)

Was gonna say the same thing but to be honest warrior deserves that score and more. 5 out of 4 in my eyes ;)

Baseball Fury 2nd February 2012 03:44 PM

I finally got round to joining the Cineworld £15 a month deal (unlimited films? Go on then!)

So I'm going to go watch The Artist tonight I think.

I watched A Clockwork Orange for probably the 15th time the other night, because my girlfriend had never seen it. First time on blu, looked and sounded lovely. I think the HD-DVD just pipped it for picture quality though.

James Morton 2nd February 2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 213674)
I love silent films and I love the period!!!!!:)

haven't seen THE ARTIST
but the best silent film I've seen is Mel Brooks' SILENT MOVIE years ago
except one word 'Non' from mime artist Marcel Marceau

DaveJ.W 2nd February 2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damek (Post 213678)

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 213689)
Was gonna say the same thing but to be honest warrior deserves that score and more. 5 out of 4 in my eyes ;)

It just so happens that I've watched a lot of great films lately. Guess I've just been lucky. I have a feeling my good run will come to an end soon though. ;)

nekromantik 2nd February 2012 06:26 PM

Just went to see Underworld Awakening.
I thought it was great. Enjoyed it more then Rise of the Lycans.
Beckinsale as always is awesome in it and the new guy Theo James is great too.
The hybrid little girl is awesome!

If your a Underworld fan go see it otherwise not sure if it will be that entertaining for you.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd February 2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 213668)

I saw on Sunday and thought it was outstanding. I'd seen The Descendants on the Friday before and thought George Clooney would be a cert for the Best Actor Oscar, but my opinion changed whilst watching The Artist as Jean Dujardin was clearly the best actor in this 'Oscar year'.

Even if you don't like silent movies, it's highly enjoyable and the dog is just fantastic!

DaveJ.W 2nd February 2012 09:01 PM

Metal: A Headbanger's Journey (2005) :rockon:

Oh look, a...

*** out of ****

:tongue1:

wongfeihung62 2nd February 2012 09:19 PM

Godzilla 2000. This is the American re edited version of 1999's Godzilla 2000 Millenium. To be honest I prefer the US version over the original Japanese version. (shock horror). Exra sound effects such as more roars and inclusion of G's footsteps add to the movie.
Some of the dialogue has been tightened and some non essential scenes shortened.
overall 100 mins of rubber-suited fun for all you Kaiju fans out there.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/taj-hob/g2000.jpg

Susan Foreman 2nd February 2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler (Post 213768)
Metal: A Headbanger's Journey (2005) :rockon:

Oh look, a...

*** out of ****

:tongue1:

Nah - it's definately a **** out of ****!

pedromonkey 2nd February 2012 10:11 PM

yesterday's viewing pleasures...

KISS KISS BANG BANG!: Brilliant Noir/comedy hybrid from writer director Shane Black set in hollywood and involving a murdered sister and daughter. Some genuine laugh out loud moments courtesy of a bumbling crook played by Robert Downey Jr and a brilliant performance from Val Kilmer as a gay Private Eye called Gay Perry. Love this film, Downey Jr's Narration adds alot too.

KINJITE: FORBIDDEN SUBJECTS: Spot on Cannon actioner with Bronson as the veteran Vice cop trying his damnedest to stop a child prostitution ring. Bronson is cool as usual and there's the right level of sleaze through out to keep fans happy. God I miss the days of Cannon films.

Gojirosan 2nd February 2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 213785)
yesterday's viewing pleasures...

KISS KISS BANG BANG!: Brilliant Noir/comedy hybrid from writer director Shane Black set in hollywood and involving a murdered sister and daughter. Some genuine laugh out loud moments courtesy of a bumbling crook played by Robert Downey Jr and a brilliant performance from Val Kilmer as a gay Private Eye called Gay Perry. Love this film, Downey Jr's Narration adds alot too.

Still no mention of the divine Michelle Monaghan? She was the highpoint of the film for me!

pedromonkey 2nd February 2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 213788)
Still no mention of the divine Michelle Monaghan? She was the highpoint of the film for me!

she was great, and looked fantastic dressed in the Santa-esq constume...

Gojirosan 2nd February 2012 11:13 PM

Dagon - yep, still think it's a cracker. One of the finest Lovecraftian films to date. Wonderful atmosphere.

Frankie Teardrop 3rd February 2012 01:17 AM

Had a good time with a DePalma double bill - BLOW OUT and BODY DOUBLE, both of which were twisty and stylised enough to hold my attention. Liked the John Lithgow character in the first one and was intrigued by the whole 'fake serial killer' subplot. Quite a charged ending as well. Watching BODY DOUBLE again was taken with the Holly Johnson cameo and was surprised when the Jack Klugman bit only lasted a couple of seconds (in the ten years since I last saw it my memory must have engineered an entire subplot based on him... had an unhealthy Quincy fixation at one point, unfortunately).
On to FUNHOUSE. Found I really enjoyed it after being quite dismissive of it in the past. This time I really got into the garish grotesque of the funfair scenario, which made up atmospherically for the slight lack of full on brutality (which maybe I felt a little short changed by last time). Those mutant cows really gave me the creeps, too. Discovered a wicked and slightly off kilter art house thriller type flick in the form of RED LIGHTS (thanks to Slippery Jack for mentioning this one). Mesmerising and intense, it charts mild mannered insurance guy's transition from booze addled mid-life crisis to harsh dealings with a sinister prison escapee. It's all about atmosphere, anticipation and dread... I've never been so gripped by an unbroken 15 minute sequence of a man making telephone calls as I was when the protagonist had to ring round a load of places to find out what'd happened to his wife. I don't know why, but I kept questioning whether everything that happened was or wasn't in the main character's head... there's only one overt 'fake reality / wake up from dream' moment, but the whole film has a subtly hazy / detached quality to it, as if it's all the desperate fantasy of a man at the end of his tether. Really liked it, highly recommended.

Demoncrat 3rd February 2012 10:32 AM

Eat The Rich enjoyed this ramshackle assault on Thatcherism rather more than i did back in the day, would make a great double pack with The I:censored:Y to my mind....now where DID i put Sammi & Rosie Get Laid at??;)

Gojirosan 3rd February 2012 10:41 AM

I love Eat The Rich. I must get it again.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 213788)

You like your Michelle's don't you?:lol:

Baseball Fury 3rd February 2012 10:54 AM

Yeah, The Artist was great (I expected as much). I thought Maclom McDowell might have been in it a little longer though!

Handyman Joe 3rd February 2012 12:10 PM

Martha, Marcy, May, Marlene. A simmerer of a movie that never quite reaches bubbling point. Performances all good, looks good but the cutting edge tension never really arrived for me and it ends up more of a character study than a thriller. This would make a great pilot for a TV series but as a stand alone movie - not so much. Definitely worth seeing though and the cult leader and the Olsen girl are first rate. Hopefully a sequel will arrive down the line so we can see how it turns out for these characters.

Handyman Joe 3rd February 2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 213832)
Eat The Rich enjoyed this ramshackle assault on Thatcherism rather more than i did back in the day, would make a great double pack with The I:censored:Y to my mind....now where DID i put Sammi & Rosie Get Laid at??;)

I was thinking about this movie and also Strike (the pinnacle for me) with this new Thatcher movie/hagiography out - we badly need a new Comic Strip for these desperate times (although Brooker did pretty well with that Black Mirror series)

Rik 3rd February 2012 09:35 PM

I watched Hostel 3 last night, not half as bad as the reviews suggest, yeah, it's not a patch on the first 2, but I still enjoyed it and thought it had some decent twists, bit lacking in the gore department for a Hostel film but still a decent enough entry in the series. I'd recommend renting it and seeing for yourself instead of forking out for it though, because I also enjoyed the remakes of Halloween and Elm St so my opinion is definitely different to a lot of you guys ;)

Frankie Teardrop 3rd February 2012 11:09 PM

Watched DARK FLOORS which was OKish but really didn't do much with a conceptual backbone that was better served by the likes of 'Triangle' or 'Time Crimes'. Still, the latter pair didn't have a bunch of Finnish Eurovision trashing rockers dressed as demons to contend with, so were obviously missing something. Apart from that, it kind of boiled down to a bunch of people running around in a hospital with some occasional monsters and confusion, which was, y'know... turned to VIDEODROME in an attempt to redeem my Friday night in. Still a beguiling vision of wonderment after all these years, felt almost as electrified by its spiraling reality warp as I did as a callow 17 yr old.

sawyer6 4th February 2012 12:03 AM

Watched The Freshman,a nice comedy starring Marlon Brando and Mathew Broderick and rewatched The Tin Drum, a great German movie ,provocative and raw !

nekromantik 4th February 2012 01:57 AM

Just seen We Need To Talk About Kevin.
Its a good drama. Interesting that its BBC film set in the US and with US actors,
Acting was good all round and the story interesting. Its mostly made up of flashbacks so you understand the back story while you present day and the aftermath.

mercury 4th February 2012 02:18 PM

Husk.....a decent watch:)

Priest.... Some nice action etc, but felt it was a little thin on emotion; I mean I didn't feel a connection with any characters:(

Wild Cherry.... Not bad, but for what I saw as a cross between Mean Girls and American Pie it just didn't cut the mustard. It was also shot in what I would call (low budget film)for a lack of technical terms, which gave it the ambiance of a tv series:(

Nordicdusk 4th February 2012 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Watched Rolling Thunder for the first time this morning. Wow i can not believe i have never seen this before what a great movie. I love that Tommy Lee Jones only smiles or seems content in this movie when he is holding a gun.

Attachment 42683

Gojirosan 4th February 2012 04:02 PM

For various reasons, I became intrigued, fascinated, by a film called Dead Of Night when I was young. This was due to reading about it in Alan Frank books and finding it mentioned when trying to discover more about Dan Curtis's Dead Of Night (which terrified me into illness when I was 12 or so).

It is, of course, slightly better known as Deathdream and I singularly failed to ever come across a copy in my subsequent years of film obsession.

Well, today, perhaps 30 years after I first heard of it, I finally saw it for the first time.

Wow. Wow.

Was that ever worth the wait! One of the very finest and most intelligent vampire films I have ever encountered.

Wow.