Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

PaulD 2nd August 2012 03:28 PM

I'm with Hawk on this one. The Omen's a fantastically crafted classic!

Hawkmonger 2nd August 2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 262837)
Actually, as confusing and surprising as I find them, so do I. There is no malice at all and Hawkface is such a lovely chap.

:)

What's all this then? Time of the year to compare certain unfortunate individuels to animal's is it. The bloody Dolphin didn't even win!:loco:

But in all honesty, that's fair enough. For me The Omen is the 'how to' guide for making a horror movie. Suspensful, creepy, menacing and completely un-forgetable. Doesn't stop me taking the piss out of it. Esspecialy when Patrick Troughten cop's it.:lol:

Gojirosan 2nd August 2012 03:32 PM

OMENGATE!

:lol:

Gojirosan 2nd August 2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 262841)
What's all this then? Time of the year to compare certain unfortunate individuels to animal's is it. The bloody Dolphin didn't even win!:loco:

Ah, soz. I have a habit of adding suffixes to people's names as a nickname thing. My last girlfriend was often "Rachface" and I have a friend called Ginny who I call "Ginforth" and so on.

You must remember I am an eccentric old man with a lot of time on his hands!

Slippery Jack 2nd August 2012 03:34 PM

I hope we can all agree the remake was... unnecessary . . . ?

Hawkmonger 2nd August 2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 262843)
Ah, soz. I have a habit of adding suffixes to people's names as a nickname thing. My last girlfriend was often "Rachface" and I have a friend called Ginny who I call "Ginforth" and so on.

You must remember I am an eccentric old man with a lot of time on his hands!

Ah!.........I see...........'Dial's mental help line'

James Morton 2nd August 2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 262834)
It's not like I consider the Godzilla films on a par with Once Upon A Time IN The West or Shadow Of A Doubt or anything (except for the first one, which I do consider a powerful and moving classic film). They are enjoyable trash too. Better than The Omen though.

I disagree with everything you just said about The Omen. It's made adequately but nothing more (like a fancy TV film) and other than Billie Whitelaw the acting is sub-par across the board. It's cheese, plain and simple. Enjoyable cheese, but undeniably cheese. Nowhere near the first rung of horror films.

I remember when THE OMEN first was released and the publicity surrounding it.
I enjoyed the film and w/scenes like David Warner's decapitation, Patrick Troughton impaled, these were considered well executed/directed and I agree.
Some time ago Allan Bryce of THE DARKSIDE mag considered this better than THE EXORCIST, Mark Kermode's fave film
But the sequels to both films are no where as good esp TE
My only criticism is with what years are they suppoes to be?
THE OMEN in 76, OMEN 2 IN 78 and OMEN 3 in 81 and Sam Neill looks in his 30's - he's aged a lot since a teenager in 78!

Gojirosan 2nd August 2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 262846)

I didn't realise it was so unusual!

Mind you, I didn't think anyone could consider The Omen a high quality bit of cinema...:tongue1::happy:

Hawkmonger 2nd August 2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 262857)
Mind you, I didn't think anyone could consider The Omen a high quality bit of cinema...:tongue1::happy:

Got to your room, sir! I'll tell Sleazy Pete not to give you any supper!

Gojirosan 2nd August 2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 262856)
I enjoyed the film and w/scenes like David Warner's decapitation, Patrick Troughton impaled, these were considered well executed/directed and I agree.

Oh yeah, some of the set pieces are well handled, true. But you could say that of the lift scene in the 2nd one.

I don't like The Exorcist, but I can see why people rave about it and rate. I cannot say the same of The Omen. It's fun that I have enjoyed many times, and not a bad film (so I guess I prefer it to The Exorcist too, even though it's not as well made). But it's still cheesy trash and that is the level upon which I appreciate it. Don't make the mistake of thinking "cheesy trash" is a negative statement, the majority of the films we all wax lyrical about on here are cheesy trash.

Gojirosan 2nd August 2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 262858)
Got to your room, sir! I'll tell Sleazy Pete not to give you any supper!

SEE! You do it too!

Hawkmonger 2nd August 2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 262861)
SEE! You do it too!

That's not a suffix, Pete's really is THAT Sleazy!..........plus it's on his birth certificet.

In other new's I was planning to go and watch Ted last night but the cue was insane so I came home and watched Beaves and Butt Head do America. Comedy gold.:rockon:

James Morton 2nd August 2012 04:10 PM

[QUOTE=Gojirosan;262860]Oh yeah, some of the set pieces are well handled, true. But you could say that of the lift scene in the 2nd one.

I saw that scene last night on Film4
I forgot about that one and it was well filmed and the guy's body split in half was goof sfx

Pete 2nd August 2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 262863)
That's not a suffix, Pete's really is THAT Sleazy!..........plus it's on his birth certificet.

I don't know if I should be happy or offended by that!:eek:

Slippery Jack 2nd August 2012 04:14 PM

My main memory of the second one is the eye plucking, lorry smushing double whammy :clap: Final Destination be damned :lol: . . .

Hawkmonger 2nd August 2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 262867)

I'D Take it as a compliment.

Susan Foreman 2nd August 2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 262846)

Very much off-topic, and bad-taste alert:

"Hello, and welcome to the mental health helpline.

"If you are an obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly.

"If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2 for you.

"If you have multiple personalities, press 3, 4, 5 and 6.

"If you are paranoid, we know who you are and what you want. Stay on the line so we can trace your call.

"If you are delusional, press 7 and your call will be transferred to the mother ship.

"If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a small voice will tell you which number to press.

"If you are a manic-depressive, it doesn't matter which number you press, no one will answer.

"If you are dyslexic, press 9696969696969.

"If you have a nervous disorder, please fidget with the hash key until a representative comes on the line.

"If you have amnesia press 8 and state your name, address, phone, date of birth, NI number, your mother's maiden name, where you were this time last week, and the week before, the last five US Presidents and the capital of every former British Colony.

"If you have post-traumatic stress disorder, slowly and carefully press 000.

"If you have bi-polar disorder, please leave a message after the beep or before the beep, or after the beep. Please wait for the beep.

"If you have short-term memory loss, press 9 If you have short-term memory loss, press 9 If you have short-term memory loss, press 9 If you have short-term memory loss, press 9

"If you have low self-esteem, please hang up. All our operators are too busy to talk to you."

-If you have seen this joke before, press the 'like' button.

-If you have never seen this joke before, press the 'like' button.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd August 2012 04:52 PM

I imagine everyone knows how I feel about The Exorcist, but did a chapter on The Omen for my MA dissertation and it was basically a cash in on the success of certain religiously themed horror films in which I noted screenwriter David Seltzer admitting "I did it strictly for the money" and how it hasn't been studied in any great length and depth by film scholars – Reynold Humphreys mentions it only once in The American Horror Film: An Introduction, where he says "I see nothing to redeem The Omen whose crassness and incompetence I can only take at face value: objectionable."

He criticised the gender politics but, as that was the point of my dissertation, I found his objection to the "powerful, all-knowing male" to be extremely illustrative in terms of how the film depicts the American family.

Putting all that to one side, I think the term 'trash' can apply to The Omen as it isn't high art and made with the same intelligence, theological insight and realism as The Exorcist. However, I really like Jerry Goldsmith's score and some of the set pieces – especially those in which David Warbeck, Patrick Trout and Lee Remick are dispatched and consider it good fun.

The remake was good fun as well, but completely pointless and clearly made for the money rather than artistic merit or because it had anything to say.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd August 2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 262867)

Return to Zero started it.

Gojirosan 2nd August 2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 262882)
I imagine everyone knows how I feel about The Exorcist, but did a chapter on The Omen for my MA dissertation and it was basically a cash in on the success of certain religiously themed horror films in which I noted screenwriter David Seltzer admitting "I did it strictly for the money" and how it hasn't been studied in any great length and depth by film scholars – Reynold Humphreys mentions it only once in The American Horror Film: An Introduction, where he says "I see nothing to redeem The Omen whose crassness and incompetence I can only take at face value: objectionable."

He criticised the gender politics but, as that was the point of my dissertation, I found his objection to the "powerful, all-knowing male" to be extremely illustrative in terms of how the film depicts the American family.

Putting all that to one side, I think the term 'trash' can apply to The Omen as it isn't high art and made with the same intelligence, theological insight and realism as The Exorcist. However, I really like Jerry Goldsmith's score and some of the set pieces – especially those in which David Warbeck, Patrick Trout and Lee Remick are dispatched and consider it good fun.

The remake was good fun as well, but completely pointless and clearly made for the money rather than artistic merit or because it had anything to say.

I would like to note that The Omen was one of "The 50 Worst Movies Of All Time" in the book of that name.

However, that book was by The Medved Brothers, so pinch of salt...

Pete 2nd August 2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 262884)
Return to Zero started it.

The fiend!

Rik 2nd August 2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 262882)
I imagine everyone knows how I feel about The Exorcist

I was going to chip in with my two-pence worth here about The Omen being an Exorcist cash-in, beat me to it Nos. And for the record, The Omen isn't even that great, which is why I don't even own it. :peep:

Nordicdusk 2nd August 2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 262863)

In other new's I was planning to go and watch Ted last night but the cue was insane so I came home and watched Beaves and Butt Head do America. Comedy gold.:rockon:

You cant go wrong with Beavis and Butt-head. I remember going to the cinema to see it and laughing even when nothing was happening just knowing the were going to be on screen was enough to have me in bits :lol:

Rik 2nd August 2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 262905)
You cant go wrong with Beavis and Butt-head. I remember going to the cinema to see it and laughing even when nothing was happening just knowing the were going to be on screen was enough to have me in bits :lol:

I have the Beavis & Butthead theme tune as my ringtone, I wish they'd release the series' on DVD with all the music videos in them, I have to make do with my "taped off the telly" VHS for now :rockon:

stefanmetal 2nd August 2012 05:35 PM

Finally got round to watching Caniche. Directed by Bigas Luna. Enjoyed it. A nice little weird film with a slight hint of bestiality.

Nordicdusk 2nd August 2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 262907)
I have the Beavis & Butthead theme tune as my ringtone, I wish they'd release the series' on DVD with all the music videos in them, I have to make do with my "taped off the telly" VHS for now :rockon:

I didnt know the music videos were not on the DVDs thats a shame. Each episode must be about a minute long each without them :lol:

Rik 2nd August 2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 262910)
I didnt know the music videos were not on the DVDs thats a shame. Each episode must be about a minute long each without them :lol:

Apparently so, due to the various licences from the bands/record companies etc.

Nordicdusk 2nd August 2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 262912)
Apparently so, due to the various licences from the bands/record companies etc.

Can understand that there would be a hell of alot of music in just one episode so how many in an entire season.

Nordicdusk 2nd August 2012 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 75131

Just started on TCM thats me sorted for the next two hours :clap:

PaulD 2nd August 2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 262910)

You do get a decent range of selected music videos as extras although it's not quite the same. Can usually pick up the 10 disc collection for just over a tenner these days which is pretty sweet - includes the film too.

Nordicdusk 2nd August 2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 262999)
You do get a decent range of selected music videos as extras although it's not quite the same. Can usually pick up the 10 disc collection for just over a tenner these days which is pretty sweet - includes the film too.

Last time i was in HMV it was €70 for it :eek:

antmumford 2nd August 2012 09:25 PM

Just watching The Horde again, been meaning to import the Blu as the UK only got a DVD release but found its in Full HD on Netflix, looks fantastic too. That's saved me a few bob

wonderlust 2nd August 2012 09:27 PM

The Aggression Scale, 2012. Just brilliant.
Cell Count, 2012. Amusing.
Mr Hush, 2010. Awful.

Rik 2nd August 2012 09:47 PM

Currently watching a film that needs a decent HD release, La Chiesa aka The Church

antmumford 2nd August 2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderlust (Post 263016)
The Aggression Scale, 2012. Just brilliant.
Cell Count, 2012. Amusing.
Mr Hush, 2010. Awful.

The Aggression Scale sounds great, I'll be renting that as soon as it's out

Gojirosan 2nd August 2012 10:57 PM

I have just got back from the cinema. Went to see Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom.

I can't find a fault with it. Really. Nothing. It's just utterly superb on every single level.

I'm pretty sure it is the best film yet from Anderson. Also it completely changed my mind over Ed Norton: I have never been a fan, always found him annoying. Here he is as good as the rest of the exceptional cast.

Just brilliant. Brilliant.

Splat 2nd August 2012 11:02 PM

'Fetus'...simply amazing, Brian Paulin's best movie to date. Bloody gory insanity:rockon:

'The God Memoirs'...yadyadayada I like the sound of my own voice:doh: Actually pretty good. Beautifully shot with some nice gore. Just felt a lot of the film was wasted on the guy talking all the time.

'Black Ice'... I really enjoyed this beauty. A woman's first time leads to necrophilia:cool:

Demoncrat 3rd August 2012 12:06 AM

REC 3. Oooooh, you're all in for a wee shock with this one. Thumbs up from me regardless.....;)

Rik 3rd August 2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 263056)
REC 3. Oooooh, you're all in for a wee shock with this one. Thumbs up from me regardless.....;)

I've got it pre-ordered, can't wait to watch it, I loved the other 2

clare 3rd August 2012 04:55 AM

Street Trash. & Motel Hell.