Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Slippery Jack 3rd September 2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyscreams (Post 270478)
The Cremator (1969 Juraj Herz )

(IMDB says it's a horror/comedy. If you agree with the comedy tag, there is definitely something wrong with your perception of mankind.)

Blackly comic for sure! I remember smiling at least :crazy: . . .

monkeyscreams 3rd September 2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 270680)
Blackly comic for sure! I remember smiling at least :crazy: . . .

Yes, I agree. It certainly has blackly comic scenes. But as the movie progressed, the tone got darker and the last part where he talks about building the most efficient crematorium in nazi germany and killing his family was very disturbing.

Vampix 3rd September 2012 11:49 PM

Saw The Grey, with Liam Neeson.A group of oil workers survive a terrifying plane crash only to end up in the freezing wilderness being hunted down by a pack of wolves.Not bad IMO.

mercury 4th September 2012 09:54 AM

Inception

Invid Ninja 4th September 2012 12:01 PM

Watched the odd thing on Netflix along with some of my new Blus: Cruising, Dead Man's Shoes and Witchfinder General. All good. :)

Rik 4th September 2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 270745)
Watched the odd thing on Netflix along with some of my new Blus: Cruising, Dead Man's Shoes and Witchfinder General. All good. :)

Dead Man's Shoes is an awesome film, as is Witchfinder General :nod:

g053584398 4th September 2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 270629)
Portrait in Crystal (1983)

Shaw fantasy/thriller/swordsplay (with horror elements!) exploitationer that delivers. :)

Definitely has a similar feel as Human Lanterns imho.

Bloody/gory and even has full frontal female nudity...this one would get slapped with a Cat III rating for certain a few years later!

Check out this "soft" trailer and then look at some caps (courtesy of Coolasscinema) and you'll notice the trailer is not showing any of the "harder" stuff (and there's plenty!).

Sounds good Bruno. Where did you get the DVD from?

Rik 4th September 2012 04:14 PM

Watched the Arrow BD of A Bay of Blood today, looked absolutely fantastic. Followed it up with one of my favourite films from the 90's, Toy Soldiers starring Sean Astin, Will Wheton, Denholm Elliot, Andrew Divoff and Lou Gossett Jnr. First time I've seen it in years and still as enjoyable now as it was in 1991 when I first saw it, highly recommended Toy Soldiers (1991)

Hawkmonger 4th September 2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 270812)
Followed it up with one of my favourite films from the 90's, Toy Soldiers starring Sean Astin, Will Wheton, Denholm Elliot, Andrew Divoff and Lou Gossett Jnr. First time I've seen it in years and still as enjoyable now as it was in 1991 when I first saw it, highly recommended Toy Soldiers (1991)

WHHHHHEEEEEETOOOOOOONNNNNN!!!!!!
http://scifimafia.com/wp-content/upl...am-sheldon.jpg

Rik 4th September 2012 04:35 PM

My first thought when he walked on screen!

VicDakin 4th September 2012 05:23 PM

What films have you seen recently?

2 Attachment(s)
I literally could'nt think what i wanted to watch tonight,so i closed my eyes and grabbed the first thing that came my way,although i would advise not doing that in HMV as that was how i got banned.

bdc 4th September 2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 270767)
Sounds good Bruno. Where did you get the DVD from?

Hong Kong.
If you want to know more just pm me. ;)

Prince_Vajda 4th September 2012 10:27 PM

El Mariachi. * * * * out of * * * *

I really don't know the last time I've watched a movie from the very first second to the end... but it must have been months... quite a few of you know why... :sad:
I decided to start the comeback to a normal life (I'll give it a try - what more can I do...) with a movie that I already knew and loved, and it was a wise choice.

20,000 bucks, a head full of ideas, and a heart full of enthusiasm - that's enough to shoot a wonderful movie. Is it an Action movie? I don't think so. It's a melodrama and a tender love story, with a wonderful soundtrack and unknown but dedicated actors and actresses - that's why I had tears in my eyes more than once. I can't help but cry whenever the Mariachi (Gallardo) sings this beautiful song in the bar... :cry:
There are quite a few shootouts, yes, but the violence's never the most important thing in this movie. It's about the most natural things in life: love, hate, trust, betrayal, hope and despair...

I'm not hesitating when I say that this is Rodriguez' masterpiece. Almost all of his later movies are well-made, entertaining, and genuine, but he never ever reached the level of veracity and straightforwardness of El Mariachi again.

Greetings!

Nordicdusk 5th September 2012 12:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 78363

A fantastic film and one more to add to my all time fav films. Korean films are really starting to dominate this list :lol:

Frankie Teardrop 5th September 2012 01:07 AM

THE SHOUT - I don't know why, but I've always avoided watching this until now. Maybe I first heard about it back when I'd only watch 'Cannibal Holocaust' or something. I wish I'd seen it sooner, because it's marvelous. Wanderin' Alan Bates insinuates himself into life of experimental muso John Hurt and wife Susanah York, who are obviously charmed by the man's dinner table anecdotes about murdering his children in the outback. It turns out that Bates can kill simply by shouting, which freaks Hurt out even more than when trampy Bates shags his wife. 'The Shout' has a cryptic, elliptical feel to it, full of glimpses and symbols, quite like N Roeg to reach for a lazy comparison. Real seventies stuff. I loved it. Has the unnatural atmosphere of rural England metaphysically nailed.

Handyman Joe 5th September 2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 270979)
THE SHOUT - I don't know why, but I've always avoided watching this until now. Maybe I first heard about it back when I'd only watch 'Cannibal Holocaust' or something. I wish I'd seen it sooner, because it's marvelous. Wanderin' Alan Bates insinuates himself into life of experimental muso John Hurt and wife Susanah York, who are obviously charmed by the man's dinner table anecdotes about murdering his children in the outback. It turns out that Bates can kill simply by shouting, which freaks Hurt out even more than when trampy Bates shags his wife. 'The Shout' has a cryptic, elliptical feel to it, full of glimpses and symbols, quite like N Roeg to reach for a lazy comparison. Real seventies stuff. I loved it. Has the unnatural atmosphere of rural England metaphysically nailed.

I was praying BFI might blu ray this one but getting fed up waiting, might just have to regress to DVD for the first time since The Devils!

Beyond72 5th September 2012 09:14 AM

Assault on Precinct 13 / Night of the Living Dead

Rik 5th September 2012 09:25 AM

Thought I'd watch the pilot episode of The Walking Dead last night, ended up watching the entire 1st Season! I'm on with Season 2 again now in preparation for next months Season 3 premiere. There's so many good storylines from the comic once they arrive at the prison, so I've got a feeling this is going to be the best one yet(if they do it right)

Demoncrat 5th September 2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 270992)
Thought I'd watch the pilot episode of The Walking Dead last night, ended up watching the entire 1st Season! I'm on with Season 2 again now in preparation for next months Season 3 premiere. There's so many good storylines from the comic once they arrive at the prison, so I've got a feeling this is going to be the best one yet(if they do it right)

Ssssssssssshhh!!! ;)

Rik 5th September 2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 270993)
Ssssssssssshhh!!! ;)

Don't worry, I've no intention of revealing any potential spoilers :)

mercury 5th September 2012 10:55 AM

Taxi Driver.......If I wasn't bald I would be sporting a mohawk today:lol:

Beyond72 5th September 2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 270999)
Taxi Driver.......If I wasn't bald I would be sporting a mohawk today:lol:

You could still change your cereal :tongue1:

James Morton 5th September 2012 12:11 PM

THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT
very good thriller from Renny Harlin
this and DIE HARD 2 are his best films

Daemonia 5th September 2012 02:10 PM

The Funhouse (1981)

Four teens decide to hide out in the Funhouse at the local carnival and spend the night there together. But when they witness a murder by a deformed man they become the prey to this beast. It's not a great film but I don't mind it. The Blu-ray from Arrow does look terrific though. Glad to have it as I do rather like it.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2010)

Remake of the 70's TV movie which ain't too bad, surprisingly. A young couple, Alex and Kim (Guy Pearce and Katie Holmes), move into an old house with Alex's daughter Sally (Bailee Madison). But Sally quickly realises they are not alone in the house and these tiny visitors are not friendly - and they want her for themselves.

It's not bad overall, but I guess that's to be expected with Guillermo Del Toro being involved - it was at least going to be fairly respectable with him involved. I found myself really enjoying this and it doesn't take away from the original. Even though the two share many similarities, the remake adds enough inventive juice to keep it interesting and allows it to stand on its own two feet. Well worth a look.

Puppet Master (1989)

I've always liked this first film in Charlie band's long running series and decided to pick up the new Blu to see how it fares in HD. Well, it does look head-and-shoulders above every previous DVD release and, for the first time, is presented in its originally intended theatrical widescreen ratio. I quite enjoyed seeing this again and this presentation did give me a new appreciation of this killer-dolls-on-the-rampage romp. It's very silly, but I like it all the same. The same can't be said of the sequels, save for Part 3, which did at least try and deliver some kind of interesting backstory to Toulon. Glad to have it in the BD collection though.

The Saint Valentine's Day Massacre (1975)

Roger Corman directs this retelling of the events leading up to and including the massacre itself. He gets a good cast to work with, including George Segal and Jason Robards. It tells of how Capone's gang want to control all of Chicago but the Northside Gang won't relinquish control of their territory. When threats are made on Capone's life he determines that the Northside Gang must be put out of business - permanently.

Corman handles the material extremely well, but I did feel that Segal was a little miscast and didn't come over as menacingly as he could have. That aside, it's well done, well acted and looks more expensive than it probably was, thanks to Corman's brilliance at producing great films at low cost. Worth a look.

Green Lantern (2011)

The Green Lanterns are an elite superforce that guard the universe from harm. But when their mortal enemy, Parallalax, is released from the prison the Lanterns confined him in, it's all systems go. However, one of their number dies and it's up to his Lantern ring to choose a successor and that fate befalls the hapless Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds). Hal soon proves he's worthy though and ends up defeating Parallalax in order to save Earth. It's all CGI nonsense and comic book adventure, but I really enjoyed it.

In the Electric Mist (2009)

Dave Robicheaux (Tommy Lee Jones) is the Louisiana cop trying to solve the murders of local prostitutes. He also harbours the knowledge of a lynching many years ago that still haunts him. As he investigates the case he begins having odd encounters with long dead Confederate soldiers - but that's probably because of the LSD he was spiked with. It's all very strange and the film has an almost intangible quality to it but keeps you interested. Worth a look.

Haywire (2011)

Mallory Kane (Gina Carano) is a special ops operative who is set up by the company she works for, who are trying to take her out. She's having none of it and decides to hit back and sets out for revenge. Not a bad action thriller and Carano is certainly more than capable as the action heroine. The fight sequences are superbly choreographed and rather more rough than in usual Hollywood fare, so that caught my attention. Overall it's not bad at all.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010)

Jake Gyllenhaal is Prince Dastan, the adopted street orphan who became a Prince. However, he soon uncovers a plot by his uncle to kill the King and take control by using a special dagger that can reverse time. It's big on CGI and low on intelligence, but sometimes I like something a bit mindless. It's enoyable enough on its own terms, but it's not a film I'd ever watch again in all probablity. Ideal popcorn fodder and if you don't expect anything too taxing on the brain it's an entertaining ride.

Demoncrat 6th September 2012 10:43 AM

Giallo A Venezia (1979, Mario Landi)

Since I watched this after TGGG, I was fairly acclimatised to nastiness, but this takes some beating (literally)! I can think of at least 2 sequences that would still be trimmed (going by bbfc "standards" so far), a pity that it's not more easily available as it features a great turn from american actor Jeff Blynn as Inspector De Paul, one of cinema's more "relaxed" detectives, imo, tries to solve a bizarre double murder in the floating city......

Reco-fr*cking-mmended!!!!

:)

Justin101 6th September 2012 10:46 AM

I watched Inglourious Basterds last night for the first time ever! Really enjoyed it a lot, some amazing set-pieces and scenes, but the stand out for me was the bloody shoot-out in the projection room to the music of Morricone.
I'll be revisiting the disc later on this evening to watch 'Nation's Pride' on the extras list.

Has nothing to do with the original version :D

Eurosleaze 6th September 2012 10:47 AM

http://i.imgur.com/Q9cgc.jpg

Il Figlioccio del Padrino (English: The Godson of the Godfather) | 1973 | Italy

A mostly very unfunny parody take on Francis Ford Coppola's seminal The Godfather that was quickly put together and released in order to capitalise on the former film's worldwide success. This 'comedy' basically centres around a grotesquely clownish, irritating, apparently irresistible Mafia womaniser (played by Franco Franchi) who flees America and returns to Sicily due to upsetting all the Mafia bosses back home in New York. His Mafia don godfather is there to take him under his wing. He eventually falls in love with one of the daughters of the boss who has had a succession of grooms murdered at the church on wedding day. There's lots of speeded-up film, lots of silly hijnks, lots of wooden chemistry between the romantic interest and our 'hero' and not a lot else. The film's musical score is quite monstrously grating - for me, as soon as I heard it I developed an intense dislike of it, and it pops up throughout the movie. I wouldn't recommend this film at all - I chuckled slightly twice all the way through and I couldn't wait for oit to finish.

As for Raro's Italian DVD - well, it's OK I guess. The film is mostly progressive (it's in anamorphic widescreen at the correct aspect ratio) and the picture quality is mostly quite good, although there are a fair few short sequences which do show poorer quality interlaced footage as well. The subtitles are dreadful and are actually nonsensical in parts and impossible to follow, so littered are they with spelling errors and grammatical errors as they are (English is clearly not the first language of the subtitler!). Extras? There aren't any. No extras here.

Quite honestly I'd give this one a miss. There's a lot better films out there from Raro.

Rik 6th September 2012 11:06 AM

After I'd finished my 2 day The Walking Dead marathon I decided to continue with the zombie theme and watch [REC] Genesis, which arrived on Blu Ray yesterday. Fans of the first two films in the series may be a little disappointed in the direction this entry has taken, because after the first 20 minutes of handheld, shaky cam filming is over, the film switches to standard 35mm film(with the odd sequence of CCTV footage mixed in) and plays out like a typical film. Saying that though, the film is still highly enjoyable, with plenty of cracking gore effects, some great shots and some likeable characters. Another thing that separates this from the previous instalments is the use of comedic elements, which make it feel more like Shaun than Dawn of the Dead, not a bad thing really, but I feel it may annoy hardcore [REC] fans. It doesn't contain any of the scare elements that made the first two so successful(especially the Kate Moss lookalike from the end of part 1!), but it does provide enough entertainment to last it's "over before you know it" 80 minute running time.
Extras on the disc are a selection of outtakes and deleted scenes, plus a 2 hour making of documentary(which, I ended up turning off after 10 minutes because I was tired).
Overall, it's a highly enjoyable film with plenty to keep gorehounds happy and well worth picking up, just don't expect it to follow the same pattern as parts 1 & 2. 4/5

Beyond72 6th September 2012 11:45 AM

Inferno

Rik 6th September 2012 05:36 PM

Carrie-I haven't watched this in years and today was the first time I'd watched it upscaled using my blu ray player, with exceptional results I might add. This is easily Brian De Palma's greatest film and one of the best Stephen King adaptions, of which there are far more bad than good(The Shining anybody...). The end scene right from the start of the slow-mo action is one of the finest scenes ever in a horror film and the performances from Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie were definitely worthy of their Oscar nominations.
I've never seen the sequel, is it at least worth a rental?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th September 2012 06:03 PM

Recent viewings:

http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://elephant.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.cf1.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.cf1.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://elephant.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...0-222-crop.jpg

Justin101 6th September 2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 271312)
Carrie-I haven't watched this in years and today was the first time I'd watched it upscaled using my blu ray player, with exceptional results I might add. This is easily Brian De Palma's greatest film and one of the best Stephen King adaptions, of which there are far more bad than good(The Shining anybody...). The end scene right from the start of the slow-mo action is one of the finest scenes ever in a horror film and the performances from Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie were definitely worthy of their Oscar nominations.
I've never seen the sequel, is it at least worth a rental?

I watched Carrie on Netflix the other week and was blown away by it, watching it as an adult rather than a teenager I took more away from it, De Palma is a great film maker - I marked it 4.5/5 on Letterboxd because I thought the first 20-30 mins were way too pervy haha.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th September 2012 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paris When it Sizzles (1963)

A screenwriter out of ideas, and a deadline in three days enlists the help of his secretary to concoct ideas.

A hugely entertaining film in which William Holden and Audrey Hepburn sparkle as the screenwriter and secretary, both stars seem to play well off each other and gel perfectly. The film plays with the ideas of screenwriting, employing many of its techniques as the film hurtles along at breakneck speed without actually going anywhere.

The clever script by George Axelrod encompases everything from car chases and fist fights to fleeing horses and vampires, and has fun with its many guest stars such as Frank Sinatra, Marlene Dietrich, Mel Ferrer and in an uncredited large cameo as "cop number two with an unspeaking role" which naturally means he never shuts up, Tony Curtis.

keirarts 6th September 2012 10:02 PM

The Raid.

Enjoyable ultra-violent slice of no-nonsense old-school action. Any more stabbings and it would feel like stepping out my front door! Highly entertaining.

How I spent my summer vaction.

Hmm decent enough but unmemerable mel gibson movie. Nothing really wrong (aside from the main star being a bit of a wanker) just not really great either.

Night of the lepus.

Giant bunnies and Deforest kelly, not much more you could ask for in a movie really.

Pete 6th September 2012 10:52 PM

BLUE TORNADO (Antonio Bido, 1991) - A movie which can't decide whether it wants to be a drama, an action thriller or science fiction film. Really poor and a waste of adecent-ish cast (Dirk Benedict, Patsy Kensit, David Warner, Ted McGinley (Al Bundy's Next door neighbour Jefferson), and the guy who plays the Terminator in Mattei's SHOCKING DARK)

THE FORGOTTEN PISTOLERO (Ferdinando Baldi, 1969) - Solid SW which is really well shot and has a excellent score by Roberto Pregadio. Also features one of the most beautiful actresses I've seen in a long time.

SUPER (James Gunn, 2010) - Great fun, Ellen Page is 'super' sexy in it.

Frankie Teardrop 7th September 2012 01:06 AM

GHOSTWATCH - The infamous BBC pseudomentary from 1992, which was massively controversial at the time for convincing the nation that the likes of Michael Parkinson and Craig Charles were really at the centre of a supernatural maelstrom. I've seen it a couple of times over the years but decided to give it another go as I basically couldn't remember much of what went on. I was really quite impressed on viewing it tonight, because, although some things didn't really work or seemed a bit clunky (the direct depictions of weird stuff, the 'this is really happening' posturing), I did catch a real vibe of looming unease, mostly stemming from anticipation of bad shit happening but also connected with the gradual emergence of the house's eerie back story, the dodgy undercurrents ("stop touching me" said the little girl to the nasty ghost) and the notion of an evil spreading out into the nation via the telecommunications network. Having said all this, the spookiest bit for me was watching Parkinson alone in the studio at the very end, clearly a man adrift. There were intrigueing echos of Nigel Kneale at points, and I actually think 'Ghostwatch' is a very worthy successor to 'The Stone Tape' and other highlights of weird UK TV. Was waiting for C Charles to transform into some kind of demonic rapist, but it didn't happen.

the blob 7th September 2012 02:34 AM

Just watched DJANGO in Italian for the first time. Always found it strange watching a western set in America in Italian and have watched it plenty of times in English but this was way way better and much more convincing.

Justin101 7th September 2012 09:39 AM

Watched Jason X on DVD and Prom Night on Youtube... both were pretty ****ing shit lol.

Demoncrat 7th September 2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 271455)
Watched Jason X on DVD and Prom Night on Youtube... both were pretty ****ing shit lol.

Which PN btw?

Justin101 7th September 2012 09:57 AM

Jamie Lee disco dancing! Nothing happened haha then they had a dance and some dude got his head lopped off - the end.