Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Rik 31st August 2012 09:57 AM

Got about half an hour into Phantasm 2 last night before I had to turn it off due to the annoying triple narration, I don't mind one narrator but 3 was doing my head in.

Justin101 31st August 2012 11:19 AM

So I got around to Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood. In my opinion it was the worst one so far! The deaths were exciting, especially the yellow sleeping bag whacked against the tree, and Kane Hodder is definitely a menacing Jason, but the story was pants even by the usual standards - Telekinetic girl resurrects Jason rather than her dead father, then the dead father comes out of the lake only to drag Jason back in?!? And Dr. Cruz... what was all that about haha.

Also, why is it Camp Crystal Lake again, I thought they changed the name in part 6...

So, still 3 more to go and I might also watch Freddy Vs Jason and the remake, but not entirely sure yet though :D

James Morton 31st August 2012 02:25 PM

FLIGHTPLAN
seen it before but its a good thriller with Jodie Foster trying to find her missing her daughter on board a plane, but of course no one believes her
O LUCKY MAN
Lindsay Anderson's 70's Brit satire on the establishment, Malcolm McDowell is good as Mick Travis now out of prison after IF...and determined to make it big

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st August 2012 06:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Unhinged (1982)

I'm sure when the DPP added this to their infamous list they did so without actually viewing the movie. It is of course a very slow moving affair with only a miniscule amount of blood and guts, most of the running time is taken up with conversation. The final kill following the surprising twist finale is done off screen with only blood splatter actually shown and none of the other kills would frighten Gianetto Di Rossi in the slightest.

The film is really a little gothic pot boiler rather than a gore classic and fits in with films like Girly rather than the more famous titles of the early eighties, seen in that light, it isn't a bad little film and worth a watch. Just don't expect too much.

Graduation Day (1981)

A fun slasher film that unfortunately doesn't really have a lot of slash. A couple of kills aside it isn't very bloody but remains fairly interesting.

The plot is nicely paced and characters reasonably brought to life. Killing off the main star in Christopher George, with twenty minutes remaining was a nice touch.

Frankie Teardrop 31st August 2012 06:35 PM

CRADLE WILL FALL - AKA 'Baby Blues'. Surprisingly harsh watch for a Poundland lucky dip. Based, very loosly, on Andrea Yates, this well made low budgeter follows a young mother's descent into fatal brood-bashing and sustains a convincingly harrowing tone throughout. OK, it's not a nuanced portrait of post-partum psychosis, and, with its stylised lighting, 'the voices are calling you...' type sound fx and cat & mouse slash by numbers climax, it plays too many genre moves to get even close its subject matter. But it doesn't flinch either, and several sequences are just really difficult to watch. So, a definite success at the level of stripped down exploitation with a grim attitude, whereas the answer to the question 'Who can kill a child?' is located in a far more tragic reality to the one occupied by this film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st August 2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 269944)
CRADLE WILL FALL - AKA 'Baby Blues'. Surprisingly harsh watch for a Poundland lucky dip. Based, very loosly, on Andrea Yates, this well made low budgeter follows a young mother's descent into fatal brood-bashing and sustains a convincingly harrowing tone throughout. OK, it's not a nuanced portrait of post-partum psychosis, and, with its stylised lighting, 'the voices are calling you...' type sound fx and cat & mouse slash by numbers climax, it plays too many genre moves to get even close its subject matter. But it doesn't flinch either, and several sequences are just really difficult to watch. So, a definite success at the level of stripped down exploitation with a grim attitude, whereas the answer to the question 'Who can kill a child?' is located in a far more tragic reality to the one occupied by this film.

I liked Cradle will Fall.

Once it got going which didn't take long it was relentless. Some of the scenes on the porch were pretty harrowing as you say.

A great pick up for £1

Frankie Teardrop 31st August 2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 269942)
Unhinged (1982)

I'm sure when the DPP added this to their infamous list they did so without actually viewing the movie. It is of course a very slow moving affair with only a miniscule amount of blood and guts, most of the running time is taken up with conversation. The final kill following the surprising twist finale is done off screen with only blood splatter actually shown and none of the other kills would frighten Gianetto Di Rossi in the slightest.

The film is really a little gothic pot boiler rather than a gore classic and fits in with films like Girly rather than the more famous titles of the early eighties, seen in that light, it isn't a bad little film and worth a watch. Just don't expect too much.

Graduation Day (1981)

A fun slasher film that unfortunately doesn't really have a lot of slash. A couple of kills aside it isn't very bloody but remains fairly interesting.

The plot is nicely paced and characters reasonably brought to life. Killing off the main star in Christopher George, with twenty minutes remaining was a nice touch.

I really quite like 'Unhinged'. Don't you think there's something quite weird about the atmosphere in places?
I can't explain why at all, but it made me think of 'House of the Devil' at points. A totally different film... but one with an odd sense of 'presence' about it.

Mojo 31st August 2012 06:50 PM

Prime Cut
Excellent performances from Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman in this early 70s cult thriller ( also starring a pre-Carrie Sissy Spacek ), culminating in that wonderful combine harvester chase sequence! Great stuff.

:)

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st August 2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 269948)
I really quite like 'Unhinged'. Don't you think there's something quite weird about the atmosphere in places?
I can't explain why at all, but it made me think of 'House of the Devil' at points. A totally different film... but one with an odd sense of 'presence' about it.

Yeah it has a certain atmosphere to it.

House of the Devil has that feel to it, If i remember rightly Axe was a little simillar.

Definitely more gothic horror than "video nasty"*

*copyright Pete.

Make Them Die Slowly 31st August 2012 07:51 PM

WAR OF THE DEAD. Messy fun as the Nazis turn Russian troops into superhuman soldiers, zombies to you and I. This is pretty gun ho from the start and never really lets up on the action front as hordes of zombies get wasted by 3 soldiers. The plot is an absolute mess with loads of ideas hinted at or randomly thrown into the mix never to be explored or mentioned again.

OUTPOST II. Bigger, louder and more action packed than the first film but full of plot holes and endless conversions explaining the back story to the film. Still, the zombie Nazis look cool. I preferred the first film.

Justin101 31st August 2012 09:11 PM

Friday the 13th part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan.
Pretty much relentless killing from start to finish! I did start to wonder around the 70 minute mark whether or not Jason actually gets to New York but it seems he does for the last 25-30 mins haha - better than part 7, but I have come to the realisation that it's starting to lose it's charm since part 6!

Two more to go, if it's raining tomorrow they'll get watched :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 31st August 2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 269967)
Two more to go, if it's raining tomorrow they'll get watched :)

Watch them anyway: sunshine is overrated! ;)

pedromonkey 31st August 2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 269960)
WAR OF THE DEAD. Messy fun as the Nazis turn Russian troops into superhuman soldiers, zombies to you and I. This is pretty gun ho from the start and never really lets up on the action front as hordes of zombies get wasted by 3 soldiers. The plot is an absolute mess with loads of ideas hinted at or randomly thrown into the mix never to be explored or mentioned again.

OUTPOST II. Bigger, louder and more action packed than the first film but full of plot holes and endless conversions explaining the back story to the film. Still, the zombie Nazis look cool. I preferred the first film.

i love my Nazi Zombies but wasn't bowled over by War Of The Dead, i thought Andrew Tiernan was misscast as Stone and while it was well made, i thought they could have done more, but i guess that's what you get for a script written in 3 days. As for Outpost 2, i loved every minute of it, they went into more detail about the backstory of the machine and the ending was good leaving it open for a third.

Justin101 1st September 2012 04:59 PM

Jason Goes to Hell... wtf lol, how did they come by such a bullshit premise for a story, Jason shouldn't be supernatural and 'only a Vorhees can kill him'. Not even any memorable death gags...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...es_to_hell.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st September 2012 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Straight on till Morning (1972)

What a total let down this film was.

Step forward Mr. Shane Briant.

Shane Briant is completely unconvincing and overplays constantly without an established star like Peter Cushing to reel him in. To cap his disasterous performance off he has the look of a drummer rejected by Poison. He seems to play the same pompous, slightly crazed, and detached role that he adopts for the far superior Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell. No wonder he ends up in tv mini series hell for the rest of his career. His most deranged moment comes as he smudges Tushingham's lipstick when she has her hair done.

Leading lady Rita Tushingham has no appeal whatsoever, simpering about all over the place.

Unfortunately Straight on till Morning is just a typical down in the dumps kitchen sink drama, alas without the blackly comedic dramatic touch applied by someone like Mike Leigh.

Baseball Fury 1st September 2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 270163)
Jason Goes to Hell... wtf lol, how did they come by such a bullshit premise for a story, Jason shouldn't be supernatural and 'only a Vorhees can kill him'. Not even any memorable death gags...

We did say it was shit, haha.

Susan Foreman 1st September 2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 270190)
Straight on till Morning (1972)

What a total let down this film was.

Step forward Mr. Shane Briant.

Shane Briant is completely unconvincing and overplays constantly without an established star like Peter Cushing to reel him in. To cap his disasterous performance off he has the look of a drummer rejected by Poison. He seems to play the same pompous, slightly crazed, and detached role that he adopts for the far superior Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell. No wonder he ends up in tv mini series hell for the rest of his career. His most deranged moment comes as he smudges Tushingham's lipstick when she has her hair done.

Leading lady Rita Tushingham has no appeal whatsoever, simpering about all over the place.

Unfortunately Straight on till Morning is just a typical down in the dumps kitchen sink drama, alas without the blackly comedic dramatic touch applied by someone like Mike Leigh.

Sadly, my landladies daughter seems to be be living this film at the moment. But no matter how hard you try to tell her that her boyfriend is no good, she just doesn't listen, and digs her heels in even more!

gag 1st September 2012 10:13 PM

Wrong turn 4 ... Wrong choice of film that got turn-ed off,
So stuck with what you know and can't go wrong superstitions a old classic horror with great atmospheric music,

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st September 2012 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Laura (1944)

Excellent noir thriller about a murdered girl who turns out to be alive, but who is dead and who killed her?

Probably the best film of Vincent Price's career, everything about Laura positively oozes class. First rate direction, a killer script, and some great performances, Dana Andrews as the lovestruck detective excels. No wonder, if i gazed at that sumptuous painting of Laura i too would be in love.

Although its a script starved of action until the final scenes it remains enthralling as there are no real clues to the killers motives or indeed who they are, you have to work things out along with Andrews detective.

If i was to compare it to something from recent decades i may well suggest Twin Peaks , as everyone including the detective has an agenda and could be the murderer including Laura herself.

Highly recommended to all.

keirarts 2nd September 2012 07:58 AM

HUNGER GAMES.

After all the 'this years twighlight hype' I was expecting more inane drivel spewed forth from the mind of a middle-aged woman in the grips of a full blown mid-life crises, instead this is actually quite entertaining.

Think Logans run meets battle royale, but not as good as either of those, Hunger games is still a surprisingly entertaining slice of sci-fi.

The script could have used some tweaking and I could have done without some of the stupid character names, but overall this one was better than I was expecting.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd September 2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 270278)
Laura (1944)

If i was to compare it to something from recent decades i may well suggest Twin Peaks , as everyone including the detective has an agenda and could be the murderer including Laura herself.

Laura is known to be a massive influence on David Lynch when he was writing and making Twin Peaks, hence the similarities you picked up – the name of the victim, the detective and myriad suspects.

mercury 2nd September 2012 09:56 AM

Cable Guy
Planet of the Apes

Rik 2nd September 2012 10:11 AM

Watched the BBC adaption of Dracula yesterday starring Louis Jourdan and Frank Finlay. This is one of my favourite versions of the age old story, but the barebones DVD isn't up to much, really poor quality for the outdoor scenes and not much better for the scenes on the cardboard BBC sets, shame really because this is one of the more faithful adaptions of Stoker's classic novel

Make Them Die Slowly 2nd September 2012 12:50 PM

THE VINEYARD. Utterly crazed, mad doctor seeks eternal youth flick. It's a weird jumble of 80s US, anything goes, horror and Hong Kong supernatural/black magic horror, which positively throbs with a mutant libido. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if a drugged up James Hong who wrote the script and directed it, was in some kind of psychic contact with his penis throughout the whole process. Highly recommended.

Bringer Of Funerals 2nd September 2012 01:00 PM

And old film (1994) but ive been watching Clerks and I know my friend hates it for some reason but I love it. Its the type of thing that i'd do if I worked in a convienice store. I also think the b&w visuals work for it.

I don't know what the PQ of the blu is like but im thinking of buying it

James Morton 2nd September 2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 270163)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...es_to_hell.jpg

i enjoyed this film
got the R1 dvd
but come on, after being killed countless times, theres something supernatural about him!
you have to admit JGTH is a damn sight better than F13 Jason Takes Manhattan - a bore

g053584398 2nd September 2012 04:54 PM

Last night I watched the French thriller En Face, starring Jean Hugues-Anglade, the utterly bewitching Clotilde Courau and Christine Boisson who I remember from Emmanuelle. It is a film that has been on my radar for years, and I finally picked up the DVD as part of a bundle from a French seller on Ebay a short while ago. I enjoyed the film, which has many twists and turns, is well shot, features a great cast and has a great sense of erotic menace. The French DVD features optional English subtitles, a good quality anamorphic transfer and a number of interesting special features.

Before watching En Face I watched Cloverfield on TV. I remember the film coming out at the time and almost went to the cinema to see it because of the involvement of J.J. Abrams who produced the TV drama Lost, which I used to watch with my ex-girlfriend. I have to say that I was very impressed indeed. I really enjoyed the hand-held faux documentary concept of the film, thought the set design was fantastic, the special effects worked well and the sense of dread and powerlessness was very pervasive.

I recently watched the Female Prisoner Scorpion #701 quadrilogy. I had seen the first couple of films once before but I'd never previously seen the third and fourth films. In short they are very well scripted, exciting, sleazy, wonderfully shot and inventive exploitation films. In a sense referring to them as exploitation does them a disservice because they are genuinely well made and interesting films. Meiko Kaji's performance as the wronged woman looking to survive and kept going by her desire for revenge is first-rate. She is a very attractive lass as well!

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd September 2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 270316)
Laura is known to be a massive influence on David Lynch when he was writing and making Twin Peaks, hence the similarities you picked up – the name of the victim, the detective and myriad suspects.

I didn't know that. That was the first time i'd seen Laura.

I have the first series of Twin Peaks and enjoyed it alot but never bothered with the second series yet. Strange really as i like Fire Walk with Me immensely.

Baseball Fury 2nd September 2012 06:32 PM

Well, FWWM has certainly taken the mystery of out of Series 2, haha.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd September 2012 07:05 PM

Yeah, seeing Fire Walk with Me before watching the first two seasons of Twin Peaks is definitely not the way to go as it takes all of the mystery and intrigue out of series one and the first half of the second series!

keirarts 2nd September 2012 08:16 PM

Pirahna 3DD.

Perhaps the most grossly offensive, unashamedly sexist and genuinely fun movie i've seen in a while. It's trash, but funny, kitch and outrageous trash that will probably alienate the majority of its audience but left me chuckling. I really want to see David Hasselhoff make a tv series called fish hunter now!

Boogens.

Probably the total antithisis of Pirahna. A reasonably classy, atmospheric horror with interesting characters, great atmosphere and storytelling. Olive films blu-ray looks amazing and is well worth picking up!

Frankie Teardrop 2nd September 2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 270348)
THE VINEYARD. Utterly crazed, mad doctor seeks eternal youth flick. It's a weird jumble of 80s US, anything goes, horror and Hong Kong supernatural/black magic horror, which positively throbs with a mutant libido. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if a drugged up James Hong who wrote the script and directed it, was in some kind of psychic contact with his penis throughout the whole process. Highly recommended.

Thank god this film actually exists! I was beginning to think I made it up!

Make Them Die Slowly 2nd September 2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 270461)
Thank god this film actually exists! I was beginning to think I made it up!

I'd hate to spend any time in your mind then. One of the many perverse delights I got from the film is the fact that for the past week I've watched James Hong in "Kung Fu Panda" on a daily basis with my son. Hong's nothing if not versatile.

Nordicdusk 2nd September 2012 11:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 78144

Attachment 78145

Attachment 78146

Attachment 78147

Showed my mate Bronx Warriors and Pieces last night. Was his first time seeing them both. He loved them and ordered them online this morning. Trying to get him addicted to Arrow and Shameless now. He also has more money than me so he might have both of the collections complete in a few months :)

monkeyscreams 3rd September 2012 12:13 AM

The Cremator (1969 Juraj Herz )

A man (kind, but a bit strange in the beginning of the film) turning into a monster because of opportunism. Words fail me (and my English is not good enough) to describe this film. Go see it if you are interested in the darker side of mankind.

(IMDB says it's a horror/comedy. If you agree with the comedy tag, there is definitely something wrong with your perception of mankind.)

chrisjay 3rd September 2012 09:28 AM

I bought yesterday Safe by Jason Statham, very cool movie, i like the storyline.

Demoncrat 3rd September 2012 09:37 AM

Watched
Gu aka Bewitched (1981). And I thought the Boxer's Omen was odd. recounting the story make just rob it of it's dowright strangeness, I feel. Mates thought same, tee hee. Result!!

Foxes (1980) Could you get two more different films? Jodie Foster more or less outs herself with this "teen comedy" to my mind. Interesting(?) to see Adrian Lyne was helming, as it was nothing but gloss and tripe, ah childhood memories...they are all lies I tells ye!!!

Started watching Touch Of Death, but felt sleepy, so Il finish that later. At least I have it back:laugh:

Rik 3rd September 2012 09:59 AM

I gave the Day of the Dead remake another watch last night, enjoyed it more this time round, I just think it shouldn't be called DOTD as its not really a remake other than a few character names and certain scenes.

James Morton 3rd September 2012 01:20 PM

saw CLOVERFIELD with my girlfriend, she liked the crap i didn't
seen it before of course but its very overrated and i found the guy with the camcorder funny considering if the city is being blown up, attacked whatever, no one in their right mind would carrying on filming!
they would run for their lives!
the ending was very abrupt and dumb
i remember the publicity or should i say non publicity surrounding the hype
overall boring and crap

last night saw the brilliant NUDE NUNS WITH BIG GUNS on the horror channel
sex, nudity, violence, the lot in this fun exploitation film

bdc 3rd September 2012 06:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Portrait in Crystal (1983)

Shaw fantasy/thriller/swordsplay (with horror elements!) exploitationer that delivers. :)

Definitely has a similar feel as Human Lanterns imho.

Bloody/gory and even has full frontal female nudity...this one would get slapped with a Cat III rating for certain a few years later!

Check out this "soft" trailer and then look at some caps (courtesy of Coolasscinema) and you'll notice the trailer is not showing any of the "harder" stuff (and there's plenty!).

CCM SG Jul- Portrait In Crystal - YouTube