Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th May 2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 574934)
When Evil Calls
An unpopular girl, gains a wish from a clown after her phone was broken by bullies. She wishes to be popular. Setting off a series of events which harms and kills fellow classmates.
This is awfully good, most of the acting is laughable, Chris Barrie seems to be uncaring which is great (I'm pretty sure I pissed him off at comic con a couple years ago when I mentioned this). And I'm curious if Dominic Pinon was actually drunk. Also Sean Pertwee is great.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

I have this. It's decent enough and a bit of fun considering what it actually is.

It's not a film you know? It's a series of 2 minute mini movies originally for mobile phones that was edited together to get a dvd release.

bleakshaun 8th May 2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 574947)
I have this. It's decent enough and a bit of fun considering what it actually is.

It's not a film you know? It's a series of 2 minute mini movies originally for mobile phones that was edited together to get a dvd release.

I know but there isn't a what mobile shorts have you seen recently [emoji23]

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

ArgentoFan1987 8th May 2018 10:09 AM

Having fun with my 7 day free trial for Shudder.

First I watched Lake Mungo (2006)

A "Documentary" about a family dealing with their teenage daughter's drowning as they discover she lead a double life.

A definite allusion to Twin Peaks. The documentary style of this film really gripped me from the beginning. Its almost a film of two half's with the second half being the superior half. Jump scares don't affect me much, but that scene (you'll know what I mean if you've seen this) actually made my shout out loud because it genuinely frightened me. My heart was racing!!! Right after the shock, I let out a laugh, because the film actually got me! I'd love to feel that again. The shock was genuinely. Makes a change from all the cheap scares films try to pull off nowadays. It may be far too slow for some, but I really enjoyed this. 8/10

Crimson Blade 8th May 2018 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Snorkel (1958).

Early Hammer thriller about a man who fakes his wife's suicide by gassing her in a sealed room whilst he hides under the floorboards using a snorkel to breathe. Looking like he's got away with it, he doesn't count on her daughter spoiling his plan.

Overall, The Snorkel is another great little suspense film, in the Hitchcock type style.
Released as part of Indicator's recent Hammer vol 2 boxset, with excellent picture and sound.

An essential purchase for Hammer fans 8/10.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th May 2018 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Stake Land II (2017)

Much like the original Stake Land this is basically The Walking Dead lite. However this sequel to the much hyped 2010 effort loses points due to much of the pivotal action sequences taking place in near impenetrable darkness.

Justin101 8th May 2018 03:21 PM

https://image.ibb.co/nPacm7/recent_movies.png

I watched a few films recently, I'm not good at reviewing so here are my scores and a brief synopsis. Pluto is a Korean school drama about the competitive nature of being top of the class, pretty melodramatic but has a nice violent conclusion!
The Muthers is on the Vinegar Syndrome bluray set, essentially a prison bust out movie that actually 3 genres for the price of one, Pirate, WiP and Jungle, pretty good fun! Murder on the Emerald Seas sees a cop going deep undercover as a beauty pageant contestant in very unconvincing drag :lol: to find out who is murdering the winners of the pageant days after them claiming the crown, stupid but fun!
The other 4 don't really need an introduction. Black Panther was great fun, really enjoyed that one. Garden State was not as good as I remember, Multiple Maniacs far better than I remember and Two Thousand Maniacs was a first viewing and it wasn't the best thing I've seen, it was a bit tedious between the set pieces, however, the barrel roll was particularly good :lol:

My star ratings are;
* - Hated It
** - It was OK
*** - Liked It
**** - Loved It
***** - Amazing!

Demoncrat 8th May 2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 574967)

A "Documentary" about a family dealing with their teenage daughter's drowning as they discover she lead a double life.

A definite allusion to Twin Peaks. The documentary style of this film really gripped me from the beginning. Its almost a film of two half's with the second half being the superior half. Jump scares don't affect me much, but that scene (you'll know what I mean if you've seen this) actually made my shout out loud because it genuinely frightened me. My heart was racing!!! Right after the shock, I let out a laugh, because the film actually got me! I'd love to feel that again. The shock was genuinely. Makes a change from all the cheap scares films try to pull off nowadays. It may be far too slow for some, but I really enjoyed this. 8/10

I quite liked this one. At least it does try something different within the genre ....

Linbro 8th May 2018 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 574967)

Really good film, was very suprised how good it was when I first saw it. Pretty sure there's a US remake...don't know why, but I've given up trying to figure out things like that!

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th May 2018 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Eye of the Devil (1966)

That stalwart of horror, David Niven, plays the wealthy owner of a vineyard who is called back to the wine growing region from his palatial Paris apartment when the crop fails again. Deborah Kerr plays his wife who Niven tells to keep away from the vineyard along with their children. However due to Niven's erratic behaviour she naturally joins him there and falls head first into a nightmarish world of pagan ritual and human sacrifice.

J. Lee Thompson's film is a star studded affair. As well as the already mentioned Niven and Kerr, we are treated to Donald Pleasence, Flora Robson, Sharon Tate and an especially sinister David Hemmings. Playing out in an almost dreamlike world of creepy castles, dead doves, satanic rituals and one especially eerie sequence of Kerr alone in the woods haunted by hooded figures which grasp at her at every turn, the film is actually a bit of a treat.

Whilst in 2018 Eye of the Devil may give off Wicker Man type vibes it came a good seven years prior, so on release must have felt a wholly fresh, utterly downbeat, viewing experience which it still exudes today, especially with the black and white photography which adds to the foreboding and sinister nature of the film.

Recommended.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th May 2018 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 575029)
Eye of the Devil (1966)

Really enjoyed this one when I saw it a few years ago. :nod: