Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd April 2019 03:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Doghouse (2009)

Danny Dyer, Noel Clarke, Stephen Graham et al are geezers on the lash for the weekend in the arse end of nowhere who find the place deserted except for the women folk who seem to have all gone Evil Dead with a wild hatred of men.

I've a lot of time for Jake West's horror comedy, i find it a lot of fun with definite rewatch value. The dialogue crackles along and Danny Dyer sparkles in the role of Danny Dyer. The action comes thick and fast with some delightfully gory set pieces.

Anyone who liked Severance (2006), The Cottage (2008) or 2012's Cockneys Vs Zombies should definitely give this a go.

Demoncrat 3rd April 2019 08:49 PM

Hellraiser (1987)

Larry & Frank are brothers. Hilarity ensues when one raises the others demons :rolleyes::pound:
Jaded pervert seeks 'the ultimate experience' ... having never read any Lovecraft, he opens more than just a puzzle box ...
Straitlaced brother and family pick up the pieces ... literally :lol:.
If only it didn't pander so much to Murica .... :whip:

MrBarlow 3rd April 2019 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The House With A Clock In The Walls. 2018

Recently orphaned Lewis goes to live with his estranged uncle in a house of mystery and magic.

I'm not a fan of Jack Black but this was enjoyable, Eli Roth has taken a step back from his usual blood and guts side to a family friendly movie but still has a dark gothic tone.

Jack Black and Cate Blanchett play the wizardly neighbours who seem to bicker and hurl insults at each other like a married couple. The film looks great as it's set in the 1950s with good special effects and funny moments and a good small appearance by Kyle MacLachlan blends in the darker magic. 8 out of 10.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd April 2019 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 601068)
The House With A Clock In The Walls. 2018

Recently orphaned Lewis goes to live with his estranged uncle in a house of mystery and magic.

I'm not a fan of Jack Black but this was enjoyable, Eli Roth has taken a step back from his usual blood and guts side to a family friendly movie but still has a dark gothic tone.

Jack Black and Cate Blanchett play the wizardly neighbours who seem to bicker and hurl insults at each other like a married couple. The film looks great as it's set in the 1950s with good special effects and funny moments and a good small appearance by Kyle MacLachlan blends in the darker magic. 8 out of 10.

If Tim Burton wants to stay in the PC world of elephants with big ears then Eli Roth would be the perfect candidate to replace him in the quirky Gothic style.

MrBarlow 3rd April 2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 601074)
If Tim Burton wants to stay in the PC world of elephants with big ears then Eli Roth would be the perfect candidate to replace him in the quirky Gothic style.

What has happened to Tim Burton most of his movies were dark gothic styled themed now he is doing Dumbo, is he changing his ways??

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd April 2019 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 601081)
What has happened to Tim Burton most of his movies were dark gothic styled themed now he is doing Dumbo, is he changing his ways??

I really don't know.

I quite liked Alice Through the Looking Glass as that was suitably dark in places, then found out as the end credits rolled that it wasn't him :lol:

MrBarlow 3rd April 2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 601082)
I really don't know.

I quite liked Alice Through the Looking Glass as that was suitably dark in places, then found out as the end credits rolled that it wasn't him :lol:

I haven't watched that yet, it is on the watch list at some point next week when Angie is at home

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd April 2019 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last Train from Gun Hill (1959)

A cracking John Sturges thriller.

Full review here, on the Western thread.

https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/wes...tml#post601079

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd April 2019 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 601084)
I haven't watched that yet, it is on the watch list at some point next week when Angie is at home

I only saw it at Christmas. I easily preferred it to the first film. Hope you both enjoy it as well.

MrBarlow 3rd April 2019 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 601087)
I only saw it at Christmas. I easily preferred it to the first film. Hope you both enjoy it as well.

Cheers Dem :thankingyou: