Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 31st March 2019 01:01 PM

The Wall (Alan Parker)

Bleak is it? Well strap in for this beauty then ....

Roger Waters & Gerald Scarfe exorcise some demons. Disguised as popular entertainment ... This Freudian mish mash of rank misogyny and bombast is easily the Suspiria of rock films. Tis relentless. Relentlessly self pitying that is. Hands up, I always hated the record. And the comm?? Tis the reason I will be keeping this. Fascinating look into the English post war psyche ... Ahem.
The semi portentous tone of the making of is hysterically apt :nod:

Demoncrat 31st March 2019 01:45 PM

Tear down the wail ....

Did I say Suspiria? :laugh:

I meant Nil By Mouth :lol::behindsofa:

Funnily enough ... the sun is shining now it's over ....

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2019 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Swamp Thing (1981)

This DC Comics film is fairly atypical for Wes Craven and although it isn't bad there's always the feeling it could have been much better, from the bad Doctor Who style man in a rubber suit creatures to a nice sequence of Adrienne Barbeau bathing, it's tone is all over the place and very uneven.

However the acting just about hits the the right notes with Louis Jourdan and David Hess avoiding self parodying campness and Barbeau is on top form as a tough yet tender CIA agent heroine.

It smacks of laziness that 88 Films couldn't put the commentary and forty minutes of interviews on the dvd as well as the blu-ray. Other companies manage it with dual formats. They really should take more care with these things.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 31st March 2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 600846)
It smacks of laziness that 88 Films couldn't put the commentary and forty minutes of interviews on the dvd as well as the blu-ray. Other companies manage it with dual formats. They really should take more care with these things.

Yeah, wouldn't want to annoy the seven people who actually watched the DVD over the BD, two of whom were interested in the commentary. :tongue1: ;)

I know what you mean though.

Paul Zombie 31st March 2019 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Demonia(1990)

in medieval Italy, a bunch of Satanic nuns are punished with crucifixion. and years later they come back from the dead after a team of archaeologists, including Catriona McColl wannabe Liza(meg Register) start digging up under the old church.

this is one of lucio Fulci's later works that was part of the nose dive in his career. the film isn't actually terrible but it pales to his classics like Zombie flesh Eaters and the Beyond.
on paper it sounds very interesting with a good story, but it's all a bit bland with lack lustre cinematography and poor music.
but even average Fulci is always worth a look and he does still manage to pull off a creepy atmosphere at times.
Actress meg Register does her best as the leading lady and is rather cute as well, but isn't the greatest actress unfortunately. and old favourite al Cliver gets a cameo role before abruptly being harpooned by a ghost nun. :lol:

Some of Fulci's trademark gore still is evident as well, but the effects are pretty poor compared to his earlier films, including a hilarious scene were a chap gets caught in a trap and pulled apart Cut and Run style. :laugh:

not bad, and still worth a watch for Fulci fans 68 out of 100.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 600850)
Yeah, wouldn't want to annoy the seven people who actually watched the DVD over the BD, two of whom were interested in the commentary. :tongue1: ;)

I know what you mean though.

Just think, those same seven won't contribute to the restoration campaign because they couldn't be arsed to make Beatrice Cenci dual format.

Hide and Go Shriek and Mighty Peking Man yes, Beatrice Cenci no. :rolleyes:

Demoncrat 31st March 2019 09:48 PM

Some People (1962, Clive Donner)
Fascinating wee obscurity I found 'sorting' last week. Semi legal is putting it mildly cough :lol: so putting it out isn't strictly kosher.

Ray Brooks and David Hemmings are bikers in Bristol. Yeah. They wanna be free ... but end up in the dock. Grounded as such, they turn to rocking out with Kenneth More's solid support. Yeah. Colour and all. Lovely time capsule. Angela Douglas as well. Network!!!! ;);)

iank 31st March 2019 10:06 PM

Wild Things. Matt Dillon is a high school guidance counsellor accused of rape by one of his female students (Denise Richards), the daughter of one of his small town's richest and most influential families, and his chances of surviving the scandal decrease further when another girl (Neve Campbell) comes forth to MeToo him. But nothing and no one in this town is quite as it appears... Kevin Bacon co-stars in this steamy late 90s thriller that has more twists than something very twisty indeed, but it's a typically funny Bill Murray who threatens to steal the movie as Dillon's cocky lawyer. Good naughty fun. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st April 2019 03:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kolobos (1999)

A strange film to be sure, part My Little Eye, part slasher, part Saw trap style movie (Before Saw even existed) part supernatural thriller, with motifs from Suspiria and other classic Italian horrors thrown in.

The story line is fragmented and the whole outcome rather on the vague side, in fact you could argue that all, or some or even possibly none of the events occurred, it could even be suggested that the film is Pulp Fiction like in it's editing and events that happen at the finale actually take place time wise earlier in the film.

Despite or maybe because of this the film is an easy watch, you can really make it as complex as you wish though, the acting is decent and the gore effects work very good.

Last night was the third time i've seen the film, i got rid of the dvd twice previously, but i'll be keeping it this time round.

MrBarlow 1st April 2019 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Suckling (Sewage Baby) 1990.

A young girl goes to house that's part brothel part abortion clinic. When the fetus is flushed down the drain it mutates with toxic waste.

I don't think I have laughed at a horror movie since watching Bad Taste, even from the start it felt like one of those Troma movies, it fits into the category of so bad it's good and comical, Its not one to be taken seriously. The special effects/make up were good but not great that if CGI effects were in use it would mess up badly. The acting wasn't great, everyone tried to help along but with a bad script it's failed but it was fast paced which benefits the movie. 5 out of 10.