Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 4th June 2019 08:09 PM

True. I tried to couch it in terms that weren't spoilery etc. It is only a film after all. I was given a book about him ... as a Xmas present :laugh:. So I read it.
The earlier film they made (90s?) was an oddity, trying to relieve the mayhem with humour, unsuccessfully in my opinion.
Enjoy!!

Graveyard 4th June 2019 09:47 PM

Good Will Hunting

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1MGY4cCrWL.jpg

Re-watched, because the misses never saw it. Still a good movie, but not has good when I watched the first time.

Fandango - 1985

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...3NzY@._V1_.jpg

Quote:

Five college buddies from the University of Texas circa 1971 embark on a final road trip odyssey across the Mexican border before facing up to uncertain futures, in Vietnam and otherwise.
The other day on Channel 5 - was airing the Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves, watched that movie so many times when I was a kid - so went to investigate more info about the director Kevin Reynolds, and found his first movie "around" - it's no masterpiece, but it's one of that movies that leaves with you with a good feeling, only 1 hour and 27 minutes fly over - Recommend.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th June 2019 10:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anzio (1968)

When the Allies led by US General Lesley (Arthur Kennedy) land at Anzio, Italy, it seems they are unopposed. A war correspondent (Robert Mitchum) and a battle hardened Corporal (Peter Falk) take a jeep and drive to Rome and back without coming across a single German soldier. However when they report to Lesley he dismisses their claims and decides to dig in at Anzio rather than moving on to Rome. When the Germans hear of the landing, their leader in Italy, Field Marshal Albert Kesselring, calls in the Panzer divisions from elsewhere and counter attacks.

Anzio is a US / Italian co-production depicting one of the fiercest battles of the Second World War. Filmed in and around Rome itself the location work is excellent as is Riz Ortolani's booming score. Director Edward Dmytryk keeps the film moving so much that it feels like the pace sags whenever there is time for contemplation. There are some strong battle sequences involving German Tiger tanks. One scene as Mitchum and his men try and escape a shelled out house across a minefield as a Tiger approaches from the other side is nail biting stuff. In fact Dmytryk excels in the staging of battles.

Robert Mitchum is the obvious star of the show but Peter Falk runs him close. His dodgy corporal, (based on a real life person) seemingly into anything illegal, in fact he even runs a prostitution ring from the back of an army ambulance. Arthur Kennedy also does well with his portrayal of the timid General whose cautious attitude cost almost 50,000 Allied lives. Kennedy often plays the role where you wish his character dead after five minutes but here you just feel sorry as he's so out of his depth.

Whilst Anzio isn't the best film about the Second World War it is a good one and a film i recommend.

Dave Boy 5th June 2019 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 215540

Well, I really enjoyed that. That was bloody good.
Non stop frantic action from the start.
.. and it was fracking loud. :thumb:

MrBarlow 5th June 2019 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lifeforce 1985.

A space shuttle is sent out to find a lost crew, on board the missing shuttle, the crew find a young girl in a pod and return to earth, once she is awake all hell breaks loose.

First time seeing this film and enjoyed it, the acting is a bit thin and seems wooden in parts or trying hard to over act other actors. Mathilda May who plays the female vampire is practically in the nude throughout the film (not complaining). Peter Firth and Frank Finlay seem to be more calm and act decently. Henry Mancini's score and the special effects do manage to keep the entertainment alive with Tobe Hooper's direction.. 6-7 out of 10.

Demoncrat 5th June 2019 08:19 PM

Well, tis a Cannon movie after all ;)
Railsback is a scream in it. Rewatch.

MrBarlow 5th June 2019 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Haunted House of Horror (Horror House) 1969.

A group of teenagers decide to leave a party and go to a haunted house for a seance only for one of their group to die, they decided cover up is easy but then guilt and intruige become them and decide to go back.

This was a fairly decent British film, being a child of the 80s, did people have that type of wallpaper they had in the film?? Singer Frankie Avalon seems to be the group leader, decision maker and ladies man. The film does seem to have a few messy bits with the script and direction but does play off well with the kills and plot twists. Worth a watch. 6out of 10.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th June 2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 604802)
The Haunted House of Horror (Horror House) 1969.

A group of teenagers decide to leave a party and go to a haunted house for a seance only for one of their group to die, they decided cover up is easy but then guilt and intruige become them and decide to go back.

This was a fairly decent British film, being a child of the 80s, did people have that type of wallpaper they had in the film?? Singer Frankie Avalon seems to be the group leader, decision maker and ladies man. The film does seem to have a few messy bits with the script and direction but does play off well with the kills and plot twists. Worth a watch. 6out of 10.

I had this blu-ray in my basket a few weeks back. The art cards and free poster almost won me over but when it came down to it £25 was a lot for a film i couldn't actually watch and in truth isn't actually that special. Yes it has it's moments but it also has it's fairly flat parts too. I know Michael Armstrong bloody loves it but it is his film. :lol: Ended up happy to just have my Odeon dvd.

Rik 6th June 2019 10:39 AM

According to posts online, there’s a major issue with the audio on the blu ray, some kind of noticeable scratching that Screenbound claim to be on the actual film, yet others say that all other releases don’t have this problem i.e they aren’t fixing it!
It’s on Amazon Prime Video for those that want to watch it without spending 20 odd quid on a faulty disc :thumb:

gag 6th June 2019 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 604831)
According to posts online, there’s a major issue with the audio on the blu ray, some kind of noticeable scratching that Screenbound claim to be on the actual film, yet others say that all other releases don’t have this problem i.e they aren’t fixing it!
It’s on Amazon Prime Video for those that want to watch it without spending 20 odd quid on a faulty disc :thumb:

Problem & faults seem to slowly becoming the norm these days.