Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

gag 3rd January 2020 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 618064)
Give me Drive Angry over Avengers Endgame any day. Sorry.

It ain't three hours long for a start.

Snap and I'm not a fan of nic cage lol .

Deadite 3rd January 2020 07:20 PM

Drive Angry is quite good fun.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 3rd January 2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 618064)
Give me Drive Angry over Avengers Endgame any day. Sorry.

It ain't three hours long for a start.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 618068)
Snap and I'm not a fan of nic cage lol .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 618069)
Drive Angry is quite good fun.

It seems I'm the odd one out here because I thought it was boring!

Demoncrat 4th January 2020 10:13 AM

If .... (1968, Lindsay Anderson)

Malcolm McDowell's first film is still a landmark of British Cinema. Ably presented by esteemed theatre director Anderson, with a cast of stalwarts representing the hidebound Establishment which ends in our current situation tbh cough. Surviving attacks, both physical and mental, an unlikely band of rebels seek revenge on their "captors", which caught the mood of the time quite fortuitiously. The Eureka BD looked reasonably decent. It's not The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg this one, so wasn't expecting miracles :laugh:
Highly Recommended.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th January 2020 02:09 PM

Decemberdike # 27

1 Attachment(s)
In Fabric (2018)

Essentially a psychological horror film with a wicked streak of black humour about a haunted red dress bought from a London department store.

I've loved all of director Peter Strickland's previous films and In Fabric is no exception. It's perhaps funnier than what has come before but it's no less surreal. Often it feels, style wise, like an Italian film from the early seventies, but here the focus is on satirizing consumerism rather than gory murders by black gloved killers.

The colour's of the film are reminiscent of Suspiria with it's gaudy reds and greens and yellows as are the repetitive synth motifs on the soundtrack.

At almost two hours it is about twenty minutes too long and isn't as good on first watch as Katalin Varga, Berberian Sound Studio or The Duke of Burgundy, but it is an intriguing and often beguiling watch and i'm sure more of it's secrets will be revealed on further viewings.

gag 4th January 2020 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 618084)
In Fabric (2018)

Essentially a psychological horror film with a wicked streak of black humour about a haunted red dress bought from a London department store.

I've loved all of director Peter Strickland's previous films and In Fabric is no exception. It's perhaps funnier than what has come before but it's no less surreal. Often it feels, style wise, like an Italian film from the early seventies, but here the focus is on satirizing consumerism rather than gory murders by black gloved killers.

The colour's of the film are reminiscent of Suspiria with it's gaudy reds and greens and yellows as are the repetitive synth motifs on the soundtrack.

At almost two hours it is about twenty minutes too long and isn't as good on first watch as Katalin Varga, Berberian Sound Studio or The Duke of Burgundy, but it is an intriguing and often beguiling watch and i'm sure more of it's secrets will be revealed on further viewings.

I really enjoyed this great how it felt 100% like some lost 70s film that been rediscovered, give me this over 99% of today's films, love something that strays away from the usual same old same old. That's why I seek films out like this instead of the mainstream stuff. It's was great joy to watch 1 I'd defiantly recommend.

trebor8273 4th January 2020 09:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eorGWaZfKcM

Works better than I thought it would with the two parts made into a seamless movie. A great superman movie that's better than the recent offerings . A lot of changes seem to have been made for the better to the second half compared to what I remember from reign of the supermen. 8/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0osGZGwFNkk

Bruce Wayne has been retired for 10 years as the Batman , but with a new gang called the mutants terrorising th citizens of Gotham , he dones the mantle of the Bat once more. But does a 60 year old Bruce still have what it takes? 9/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUyQlvdbANQ

Taking place straight after part one, the return of the dark knight , has awakened his greatest foe, the Joker who is looking for a final showdown, if the Batman survives this be will have to face one who was once his greatest friend Superman who's now a lacky of the government. 9/10

Now watching Aquaman.

Nostalgic 4th January 2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 618049)
Avengers: Endgame (2019)

The cinematic equivalent of a child banging it's action figures together in a three hour clip show.

These movies began as intelligent, occasionally sophisticated, superhero films with warmth and humour but have now become solely an exercise in money making for Disney.

Still, it was better than Infinity War.

I received Captain Marvel for Christmas. From what i saw of her here i don't think it's ever going to be a film i want to watch.

I liked infinity war more, endgame was a bit like return of the king; emotional moments but overlong!

Captain marvel was very disappointing (and I LIKE lots of the marvel films), best thing in it is the 90s setting, sam jackson & the stan lee cameo.

Lets hope Guardians 3 and Black Widow improve the formula!

Deadite 4th January 2020 10:15 PM

The only Marvel film i'm looking forward to is the 2nd Dr Strange one.

Dave Boy 5th January 2020 11:17 AM

23 Attachment(s)
And on those notes..
It took some time doing this due to things going on here but just finished the run.
For me, Captain America Winter Soldier is still the best Marvel film.

Attachment 221803Attachment 221804Attachment 221805Attachment 221806Attachment 221807

Attachment 221808Attachment 221809Attachment 221810Attachment 221811Attachment 221812

Attachment 221813Attachment 221814Attachment 221815Attachment 221816Attachment 221817

Attachment 221818Attachment 221819Attachment 221820Attachment 221821Attachment 221822

Attachment 221823Attachment 221824Attachment 221825