Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Susan Foreman 5th January 2020 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 618141)
And on those notes..
It took some time doing this due to things going on here but just finished the run

I'm only missing the last four

MrBarlow 5th January 2020 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Caretaker (aka The Guest). 1963.

A quiet man Aston takes in a homeless man who lost his job in a cafe, in time offers him a job as caretaker, yet Aston brother enjoys tormenting the homeless man.

Based on the stage play by Harold Printer, this may not be for everyone, the film relies on good acting from three actors, Robert Shaw plays the quiet man Aston, Mac Davies played by Donald Pleasance and Alan Bates as the bully Mick.

The plot may seem slow and stop at the start of the acting is what helps keep it entertaining from Shaw with his one word answers and Pleasance able to keep the pace and Bates way of playing psychological mind games between the two. Worth a view.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th January 2020 07:40 PM

Lion

This is a film with a beautiful mix of pathos and joy, one based on a true story and beautifully realised by Garth Davis.

Dev Patel plays Saroo (the five-year-old ys astonishingly played by a young Indian boy called Sunny Pawar) who, by an unfortunate circumstance, is on a train travelling at 1600 km across India, ending up in Calcutta and unable to speak the local Bengali language. (He grew up speaking Hindi with an illiterate mother who eked out a poverty wage by moving rocks.)

Adopted into a middle-class Australian by John and Sue Brierley (David Wenham and Nicole Kidman), he accepts Tasmania as his new home and this white couple as his parents until a chance meal at college in Melbourne triggers the search for belonging and his estranged family.

I saw this at the cinema and loved it then, so watching it a little over three years later was both familiar and unfamiliar, some parts of the film had stayed fresh in my mind whereas others had been forgotten. One thing which didn't change was the emotional impact of the ending, sensitively handled by Davis but still very powerful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RNI9o06vqo

bleakshaun 5th January 2020 07:43 PM

Baby Cart to Hades
After being tortured for protecting a prostitute, the Lone wolf is hired to assassinate a governor. Which he does.*
A bigger body count than the previous film and it still is glorious to watch.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th January 2020 07:46 PM

Piranha 3DD

Piranha 3DD is trash. It knows it's trash and seems to want to revel in its own absurdity and stupidity. Any film which brings the vagina dentata myth into the narrative by virtue of a carnivorous fish and the affected male removing the offending object with a kitchen knife shouldn't be taken seriously.

If you treat this as exploitation nonsense and try to have fun with the ridiculous dialogue, David Hasselhoff's self-referential appearance, and a fat guy pulling a piranha out of his own butt, then you're probably going to have a smile on your face for at least some of this film.

However, if you want something slightly better than lowbrow, it's best to avoid this and watch Joe Dante's Piranha (1978) or Alexandre Aja's Piranha 3D (2010) instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBvMWj4O-6I

MrBarlow 5th January 2020 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Scarlet Claw. 1944

When a woman is found dead, local villagers claim a supernatural monster. Sherlock Holmes is drawn into the case suspect something else.

The story does sound like Hound Of The Baskervilles, especially with their bog marshes and dark atmosphere area, Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce team up as Holmes and Watson who seem to have a lot of good chemistry with their characters with Paul Cavanagh who is convinced that evil beast is at work. Classic Holmes film.

Demoncrat 6th January 2020 06:00 PM

Parasite

When an unemployed family find what they hope is an answer to their prayers, just sit back and wonder at their temerity cough. If you know his work, then this will be undemanding. To all the rest, enjoy! It's not a conventional "thriller", but thrilling tis all the same.
Recommended.

Justin101 6th January 2020 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 618220)
Parasite

When an unemployed family find what they hope is an answer to their prayers, just sit back and wonder at their temerity cough. If you know his work, then this will be undemanding. To all the rest, enjoy! It's not a conventional "thriller", but thrilling tis all the same.
Recommended.

I'm really looking forward to this one! Korean cinema is certainly something else and I love it!

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th January 2020 08:01 PM

Decemberdike # 28

1 Attachment(s)
Overlord (2018)

Extremely disappointing WWII horror film that for the most part was simply a WWII war film.

It wasn't exciting, nor was it interesting in the slightest and seemed fairly gore free. Not a patch on Frankenstein's Army (2013) or The Devil's Rock (2011)when it comes to WWII horror.

iank 6th January 2020 08:17 PM

It took way too long to get to the horror part for me, by which time it seemed out of place and silly.