Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

trebor8273 28th February 2020 08:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd2szjVdrpg

Bought this for no knowledge and low expectations, was very pleasantly surprised . A seven year old girl has been raised by her farther in their house and told never to go outside as it's dangerous and she will be killed , the farther seems unhinged and dangerous and no.danger seems apparent. That's all I will say anything else will spoil the film. Had me gripped from beginning to end and well acted especially from actresses playing the girl. 8.5/10

Demoncrat 29th February 2020 10:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Specters (1987, Marcello Avallone)

Donald Pleasence heads up a team investigating catacombs underneath Rome. Have they uncovered an ancient evil by mistake? Why else am I here? A rather murky print hides the budgetary restrictions here thankfullly. Needs a rewatch, as it didn't seem to amount to much before that obligatory awful Rawk song at the end. Hmmm.

Proteus (1995, Bob Keen)

You know how it is. when you find an abandoned oil rig and that ... directed by a special effects maestro, though there's little of that on show cough. Pinhead turns up briefly, playing a human! :lol:
Craig and company are being naughty when they come across one of those pesky experiment gone 'orribly wrong scenarios replete with maaad scientists and all that. Very third tier. This was during his "popular" phase :laugh: what with Beyond Bedlam and Darklands and all that.
Ahem.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th February 2020 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Crawl (2019)

Hurricanes, rising water levels, submerged houses and alligators, Alexandre Aja's Crawl may not be high art or indeed an original film but i did find it very entertaining, occasionally tense, a couple of times gorily grim, but above all a lot of fun.

The alligators, which are the star of the show, looked very realistic to say they were computer generated throughout and the story moved along nicely and never became dull even though there were mainly only two characters in it, played believably enough by Kaya Scodelario and Barry Pepper. Other characters were introduced throughout but were there purely as gator bait (Now that's a prime slice of exploitation i must revisit soon - 1974's Gator Bait).

Crawl is no Jaws, it's probably not even as good as the original Lake Placid, but it's still a mighty fine creature feature in it's own right and i'm pleased to add it to my collection.

Deadite 29th February 2020 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 621440)
Asylum. A psychiatrist visits a mental asylum to interview for a job, and is asked to evaluate four patients, each of whom has a very disturbing story to tell. Robert Powell, Charlotte Rampling, Peter Cushing and Herbert Lom star in this creepy early 70s British horror anthology that I really enjoyed. This is by far the best of the Amicus anthologies I've seen so far - Tales from the Crypt was middling, and neither Torture Garden nor Vault of Horror did anything for me at all - with all four stories being enjoyable (the Rampling one, despite being obvious, being my favourite). Very good. :nod:

This is one of those films that were the talk of the school the day after it was on tv. One of my favourite films. Did you watch the Second Sight Blu-ray? I haven't watched mine yet.

Dave Boy 29th February 2020 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 222884
DRUMS OF FU MANCHU (1940)

REPUBLIC SERIAL 15 CHAPTERS

A race against time to stop the villainous Fu Manchu from acquiring the sceptre of Genghis Khan and conquer the world..

Very good movie serial and considered to be one of the best.
As usual for these serials, lots of fights and action. The highlights of this serial for me has our heroes enter caves in the search of the sceptre and Fu Manchu's deadly pendulum is just one of the great cliffhangers.

Demoncrat 29th February 2020 06:41 PM

.... I'm watching Dead Of Night (1945, Various dir)

Mervyn Johns swears he has visited the house he's just arrived at? In a dream? What is this? Ionesco?? :lol:
The party within all profess ignorance, but all have a tale of their own to impart. A professorial type holds sway over the overall atmosphere, what with the reverence for the educated that only British cinema of the period upheld as a virtue. Ahem. Some segments work more fluidly than others. Such is the fate of the compendium though ....
But if you haven't seen it, where you at blood?? :laugh:

trebor8273 29th February 2020 07:28 PM

Storm Of the Century Part One.

A small Maine town is preparing for huge storm coming their way, when a old lady is killed by a stranger, this stranger seems too know the townsfolk darkest secrets and has the ability to apparently control others. The

Now watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTnkLTRR6v8

Demoncrat 29th February 2020 07:36 PM

Well, I'm gripped.

The ???? ;)

trebor8273 29th February 2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 621488)
Well, I'm gripped.

The ???? ;)

End of part one!

Demoncrat 29th February 2020 09:13 PM

Phew then! :lol: