Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

gag 17th May 2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCM (Post 342143)
Blair Witch Project is an amazing film, you should also check out The Last Broadcast, it plays out more as documentary than a found footage but is nevertheless great.
Watched The Woman in Black last night; great horror film, just don't get why it's a 12 though :confused:

I was surprised how well I enjoyed the women in Black, but I detested Blair witch project went pics to watch it, Never seen it since so might give it's whirl and see what I think off it now.

SCM 17th May 2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 342164)
I was surprised how well I enjoyed the women in Black, but I detested Blair witch project went pics to watch it, Never seen it since so might give it's whirl and see what I think off it now.

To be fair when you compare The Blair Witch Project to the newer found footage movies (Paranormal Activity etc.), you'll appreciate it a lot more.

Vampix 17th May 2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 342122)
Love sinbad films They are great.

I love Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion FX; as for the live actors in the films, I can take them or leave them.Mind you, Torin Thatcher and Tom Baker are great in The 7th Voyage and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.

gag 17th May 2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCM (Post 342165)
To be fair when you compare The Blair Witch Project to the newer found footage movies (Paranormal Activity etc.), you'll appreciate it a lot more.

Don't like them either should have stopped after 1st one they are dull boring laughable, my son drags me to pics to watch each one, don't know why because he even walks out by end off film and says that was rubbish, maybe because I pay ..

gag 17th May 2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 342167)
I love Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion FX; as for the live actors in the films, I can take them or leave them.Mind you, Torin Thatcher and Tom Baker are great in The 7th Voyage and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.

I also like Jason and argonauts as well, love these type of films but no so much as the more modern version all the oldies are hundred times better.

gag 17th May 2013 11:34 AM

I don't think they make films as good as they use to, they concentrated on the film, today it's al about cg, special effects, big actors, how much money can they throw at the film, the directors etc etc et the list is endless years ago it wasn't it was just a film with good story plot etc, I've always said the oldies are the best, look at a lot of today's films it's all about making money, look at a film that might get film of the year but few year down the line people have forgot about it or whine it rubbish anyway and a lot of film collectors from yesteryear stick with the oldies even the newbies stick with the oldies and moan so much about the latest releases etc etc. when you went to rent a VHS you barely new what half the films where and spend ages deciding what to watch and chances are you enjoyed more than disliked, now you even know what half the films are before they are even released and you tend to dislike more than you do like.

SCM 17th May 2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 342180)
Don't like them either should have stopped after 1st one they are dull boring laughable, my son drags me to pics to watch each one, don't know why because he even walks out by end off film and says that was rubbish, maybe because I pay ..

you'll like this
Honest Trailers - Paranormal Activity - YouTube

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th May 2013 11:49 AM

Although I liked (and still do), the first Paranormal Activity, that trailer is pretty much spot on.

gag 17th May 2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCM (Post 342190)

:laugh: that is brilliant and so spot on.

Bringer Of Funerals 17th May 2013 12:11 PM

I watched Swimfan which is a teenage remake of Fatal Attraction. I did enjoy it as the girl turned into a right nutjob. For the 12 BBFC rating there was a lot of violence in it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th May 2013 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Dam Busters (1955)

The flypast of the Lancaster bomber at Derwent reservoir yesterday, to mark the seventieth anniversary of the famous Second World War raid on German dams immediately brought the big screen version of events to mind as yesterdays "Must watch film".

The Dam Busters still stands up as a classic WW2 film fifty eight years on. From the stirring theme, The Dam Busters March, to the still excellent cinematography of the low flying raids themselves, The Dam Busters has it all and retains its power to thrill.

Although it clocks in at two hours, and the first hour and a half being mainly talking, the film fairly zips along and is never boring. This first part of the film is based around Barnes Wallis and his idea of the bouncing bomb, followed by his battles with authority figures to get the go ahead and construct them. Michael Redgrave, as Wallis always holds the viewers attention despite playing the role in a fairly restrained manner.

Around the half hour mark we meet Guy Gibson, Wing Commander and all round RAF hero, played with a typical British stiff upper lip by Richard Todd. Todd, who in real life was one of the first British officers to land in Normandy, at Pegasus Bridge during Operation Overlord is just made for these roles and clearly understands the part.

When the mission begins the film suddenly becomes an action packed thrill ride, with classic dialogue between the Lancaster crews and quite jaw dropping aerial photography for the time. The lack of the use of stock footage is a real breath of fresh air. Director Michael Anderson puts the viewer in the Lancaster bombers cockpit as we witness the barrage of anti aircraft fire all around. The end result is impressive today so must have been a real wow to audiences in the mid fifties.

The Dam Busters, a classic of British WW2 cinema, nay, a classic of British cinema full stop.

gag 17th May 2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 342203)
I watched Swimfan which is a teenage remake of Fatal Attraction. I did enjoy it as the girl turned into a right nutjob. For the 12 BBFC rating there was a lot of violence in it.

Yes I've always said that its a remake of fatal attraction and not a bad film either.

Vampix 17th May 2013 12:57 PM

I watched Arrow's ZFE Blu-ray this morning.What can I say, it looks superb! The zombie gut-munching feast, the splinter-skewered eyeball, and the throat-ripping, worm-eyed zombie look glorious in HD. :nod:

troggi 17th May 2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 342167)

I am Ray Harryhausen's biggest fan (apart from all the dweebs who're bigger fans than me) and I totally agree about the actors. BUT (never start a sentence with but except for dramatic effect) Tom baker and Patrick Troughton are exceptions which prove the rule (and both Doctor Who of course). All the ladies seem to be there for A) eye candy, B) a plot mechanism, C) to scream a lot and be "in distress, or D) to be a baddie!

Stop motion is the star and this has been proved by the lack of popularity of the Sky T.V. series of Sinbad with CGI effects.

Am I wrong?

:blush:

Vampix 17th May 2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 342234)
I am Ray Harryhausen's biggest fan (apart from all the dweebs who're bigger fans than me) and I totally agree about the actors. BUT (never start a sentence with but except for dramatic effect) Tom baker and Patrick Troughton are exceptions which prove the rule (and both Doctor Who of course). All the ladies seem to be there for A) eye candy, B) a plot mechanism, C) to scream a lot and be "in distress, or D) to be a baddie!

Stop motion is the star and this has been proved by the lack of popularity of the Sky T.V. series of Sinbad with CGI effects.

Am I wrong?

:blush:

You're not wrong, the monsters were definitely the stars of ALL Ray Harryhausen's films.

JoshuaKaitlyn 17th May 2013 08:49 PM

From 1937:

The Life of Emile Zola Enjoyable biopic
Way Out West Love this movie! From beginning to end a laugh a minute!
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Brings back a few memories of my Mum taking me and my sis to see this in the 70's. Building still there but its a mormon church now (Northenden, Manchester)
Looney Tunes: Porky's Duck Hunt An interesting first

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post342269

artisturn 17th May 2013 09:26 PM

A Cat in the Brain (Uncut) (1990)

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th May 2013 10:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Dinner at Eight (1933)

Based on a Broadway play from the previous year, Dinner at Eight is an all star comedy of manners played out by an all star cast including John Barrymore, Lionel Barrymore, Jean Harlow and Billie Burke.

During the opening act i really wasn't sure i was going to get anything out of the film, its sometimes stagy manner seemed to hamper it. However as you begin to glimpse a small fraction of the lives of the dinner guests in the hours leading up to the dinner party the film begins to get more involving.

The acting is on the whole excellent, its a shame Lionel Barrymore isn't in it more, the same goes for Harlow, as some of the soon to be guests seem more interesting than others. However each has a story to tell as more characterization comes to the fore. As the film nears the climactic dinner party the viewer easily realizes that high society and wealth are no sure means of happiness and the protagonists of this film are no different to those in todays soap operas.

After a slow start Dinner at Eight had me desperate to know how situations would play out, and i would recommend it to all who enjoy films from the golden age of Hollywood.

The film is one of four in the TCM Greatest Classic Legends: Jean Harlow set on region one Warner dvd which looks in excellent shape for a film of this vintage and has a clear crisp soundtrack. I look forward to seeing the other three films in the set.

troggi 17th May 2013 10:25 PM

http://content7.flixster.com/movie/2...854993_det.jpg

"New Police story"

Jacky can't act drunk, he was a more convincing drunkard in "Drunken Master". As for the rest of the movie...TOP NOTCH! You can call me a gay cowboy's spur wheel if you want but I love Jacky Chan and all his films, yes... even "Gorgeous"

"New Police Story" 12/10 for... for... er...Jacky Chan, and if anyone wants to argue about it i'll.... er...I'll cry!

:clap::popcorn::clap::rockon:

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th May 2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 342282)

"New Police story"

Jacky can't act drunk, he was a more convincing drunkard in "Drunken Master". As for the rest of the movie...TOP NOTCH! You can call me a gay cowboy's spur wheel if you want but I love [COLOR="rgb(0, 255, 255)"]Jacky[/COLOR] Chan and all his films, yes... even "Gorgeous"

"New Police Story" 12/10 for... for... er...[COLOR="rgb(0, 255, 255)"]Jacky[/COLOR] Chan, and if anyone wants to argue about it i'll.... er...I'll cry!

:tsk: Please tell us this misspelling is a stab at humour. :madgrin:

troggi 17th May 2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 342283)
:tsk: Please tell us this misspelling is a stab at humour. :madgrin:

No I'm just knackered and full of pain killers an' diazepam. Sorry for that Demkike.

:lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th May 2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 342286)
No I'm just knackered and full of pain killers an' diazepam. Sorry for that Demkike.

:lol:

Don't worry about it Ploggi.

:tongue1:

antmumford 17th May 2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 342282)

"New Police story"

Jacky can't act drunk, he was a more convincing drunkard in "Drunken Master". As for the rest of the movie...TOP NOTCH! You can call me a gay cowboy's spur wheel if you want but I love Jacky Chan and all his films, yes... even "Gorgeous"

"New Police Story" 12/10 for... for... er...Jacky Chan, and if anyone wants to argue about it i'll.... er...I'll cry!

You do realise Jackie was genuinely drunk when shooting those scenes, hence the actual vomiting in the alley :rolleyes:

And what do you mean, even "Gorgeous"? That's not a guilty pleasure film at all, it's great :p

Edgeworth 17th May 2013 11:50 PM

Gotta agree, Gorgeous is an awesome Jackie Chan movie.

Tonight I watched Exiled and Happiness of the Katakuris.

Enjoyed Exiled, gonna pick up some more Johnny To movies I think. Enjoyed all I have seen from him so far.
Katakuris I have seen many times, always makes me laugh.

troggi 18th May 2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 342292)
You do realise Jackie was genuinely drunk when shooting those scenes, hence the actual vomiting in the alley :rolleyes:

And what do you mean, even "Gorgeous"? That's not a guilty pleasure film at all, it's great :p

Okay I'll accept that it is a good film but it could have been anyone (with a little wu shu skill) as the romantic lead.
And now that I know about Jackie bieng "three sheets to the wind" I'll take it back about his drunk acting.

Thankyou chums for putting me right, I can now watch the film with a new respect for one of my favourite action stars!

:doh::blush::nod::clap::rockon:

Demoncrat 18th May 2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 341722)
Is that the Japanese film?

Yes.

SCM 18th May 2013 10:23 AM

Watched The Last Exorcism last night, such a terrible movie :pound:

SCM 18th May 2013 12:40 PM

just started Peeping Tom

monkeypedro 18th May 2013 01:01 PM

Have had a Stephen Chow movie mararthon this morning and just finished watching Chinese Odyssey Part 1: Pandoras Box and Part 2:Cinderella and Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons.

Slippery Jack 18th May 2013 03:13 PM

The Night Visitor

Sort of like one of those shaggy dog tale, murder-revenge shorts in an Amicus portmanteau film, only padded out to feature length, and starring the cast of an Ingmar Bergman film :lol:. Quite good fun, silly fluff performed by a stellar cast. I espeically enjoyed the performances of Trevor Howard as the wily old detective, and Per Oscarsson as the increasingly twitchy murder suspect. Worth a watch . . .

SCM 18th May 2013 03:18 PM

Finished Peeping Tom; loved it, Carl Boehm's performance was magnificent

troggi 18th May 2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCM (Post 342389)
Finished Peeping Tom; loved it, Carl Boehm's performance was magnificent

"Peeping Tom" is a great, a classic, almost a superlative. I, for one, am glad you enjoyed it!

:clap:

tele1962 18th May 2013 06:54 PM

Deadly Blessing last night ( Arrow Blu ), thoroughly enjoyed it, PQ was excellent also.:woot:

demonknight 18th May 2013 07:16 PM

Have Knightriders Bluray lined up for later tonight.

tele1962 18th May 2013 07:21 PM

Been meaning to say that the other day i watched probably one of the best (If not the best) films ever made for the first time.."..To Kill A Mockingbird"...i was left speechless and never wanted it to end, everything about this film is perfect IMHO and should be added to every film collection.

SShaw 18th May 2013 07:32 PM

Strippers vs. Werewolves

The trailer reel shown by production company at Fright Fest in 2011 had what looked like 3 or 4 great home grown genre films. So far I have managed to see two, Elfie Hopkins (dull) and Strippers vs. Werwolves (here on the UK blu). Strippers vs. Werewolves manages to not only be dull but also badly written and badly made. Comic strip is used throughout the film to cover for the lack of budget and also the modesty of the actresses. If you are not prepared to get your kit off and your tits out perhaps its best not to take the role of a stripper in a low budget exploitation film!

One to avoid (even if you can see it for free).

Stephen@Cult Labs 18th May 2013 07:33 PM

Went to see Fast & Furious 6 this afternoon and pretty good it was too. Not quite up there with Fast Five, but a solid entry in the series. Only a few things let it down, a few of the action setpieces were unbelievable (up there with Live Free Or Die Hard), and a totally unneccessary appearance from Rita Ora in her "acting" debut, looking like a $5 hooker into the bargain! However, the mid end credit sequence totally made up for it, finally tying Toko Drift in with the rest of the franchise, and setting up the villain for F&F 7. I really do hope they bring back Lucas Black for the next film, I seem to be one of the few people who actually liked his character (Sean Boswell), and Black as an actor. When mentioned on twitter that someone hoped he might return in a future film, Black replied that he wasn't in Fast 6, so I have a feeling he might return in 7.

PaulD 18th May 2013 07:50 PM

Viewings since last update:

The Simpsons Movie - was on E4 and I, rather like Homer Simpson, couldn't be bothered to get off the sofa. I'd seen it before but had forgotten how solid it is considering how poor the tv show was at that time. It's full of great jokes and while the story is an amalgamation of previous tv episodes and Bart's an annoying whiny baby who craves his daddy's attention throughout the whole thing it works really well as a film in its own right.

The Cottage - Oh Netflix, so much to answer for. David Arquette stars as a romance-writer renting out a family's cottage, with a secret and sinister side to his character. It's all over the place in plot and tone, a lot of the actors have an odd blandness to their look which made me confuse them for each other and it leaves a lot of things unexplained, not out of willful ambiguity but out of an inability to tell a story properly. Would probably work as an exploitation movie where such flaws could be forgiven but not as a glossy thriller which looks like a TV movie. Just terrible.

Super 8 - really loved this. It wears its influence on its sleeve but that's no bad thing as far as I'm concerned. Obvious nods to ET, The Goonies, Stand By Me etc but that just made me love it all the more. The characters were incredible relatable (which impressed me significantly given their ages) and the film handled the elements of mystery well until it was time to let things go off the handle when it goes into blockbuster mode. Excellent stuff

Hold Your Breath - as soon as the title credits started and I saw "An Asylum production" I felt an odd mixture of sadness and joy - I knew the film I was about to watch was going to be rubbish but at least I could try and figure out which film of the same year it was ripping off. Sadly, it turned out to be an 'original' Asylum film. Which was rubbish. Something to do with the spirit of an executed murderer possessing your body when you go past a graveyard and don't hold your breath but even trying to figure this out and explain it makes my head hurt and my eyes water. It starred Katrina Bowden who was so good as the female lead in Tucker and Dale Vs Evil (and excellent in 30 Rock too) that I felt thoroughly depressed at the 90th minute.

I don't get to watch many films at the minute due to work but I am aware of how many I am watching that are clearly rubbish. Damn you Netflix, damn you!

Delirium 18th May 2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCM (Post 342358)
just started Peeping Tom

You don't have to tell us every time you've started something. :tongue1:

Just say what you thought at the end! ;)

sawyer6 18th May 2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 342453)
Been meaning to say that the other day i watched probably one of the best (If not the best) films ever made for the first time.."..To Kill A Mocking Bird"...i was left speechless and never wanted it to end, everything about this film is perfect IMHO and should be added to every film collection.

:nod: