Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st May 2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 342935)
I'd say it's as good as the 4th (Fast & Furious).

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 342938)
Don't say that Stephen, 4 is the worst one.

:lol: Conflicting views - Great stuff.

pedromonkey 21st May 2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 342940)
Nope, that would be 2 Fast 2 Furious. :D

4 really annoyed me with the finale through the tunnels, far too much CGI, i actually quite like 2 Fast 2 Furious, but Tokyo Drift has become my favourite.

Frankie Teardrop 21st May 2013 07:43 PM

ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS 3 - Or 'Zombi 4' or whatever it's called. I do really like scraping the bottom of the barrel of late eighties Italian schlock. This is pretty action packed, with some gore and loads of pumpin' era-appropriate electro rock. Yes, it's bad. Really quite bad. I enjoyed it, though.

BABYCALL - Frosty and alienating take on bereavement and madness. I thought it was excellent, bleak, genuinely unsettling and actually pretty heart-rending. Others have compared it to Polanski.... 'Repulsion' isn't far away. Very much recommended.

LET ME IN - It's been ages since I saw the original, but this follow-on seems pretty impeccable in terms of summoning a grim atmosphere but still managing to seem bitter-sweet. The ghostly mist of Reagan era America is really well evoked. Sad and disturbing, and thankfully some mainstream movies these days are prepared to be both.

COME OUT AND PLAY - Those pesky kids are at it again, and this time they're really kickin' ass. Essentially a remake of 'Who can Kill a Child?'. It really brings home how disturbing its subject matter is. I mean, it's not just 'Night of the Living Dead' with kids instead of zombies. I don't know how much this update actually adds to the original beyond some more graphic violence, but it's well made and frightening. I recommend it.

Delirium 21st May 2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 342957)
COME OUT AND PLAY - Those pesky kids are at it again, and this time they're really kickin' ass. Essentially a remake of 'Who can Kill a Child?'. It really brings home how disturbing its subject matter is. I mean, it's not just 'Night of the Living Dead' with kids instead of zombies. I don't know how much this update actually adds to the original beyond some more graphic violence, but it's well made and frightening. I recommend it.

Really want to see this, Frankie. I absolutely love the claustrophobic and sunbaked insanity of Who can Kill a Child? - it's one of my favourites, and doesn't pull any punches at all. I've heard conflicting reviews over this one, although the more positive ones have won me over, so it's nice to see your good self giving it a hearty recommendation too!

Frankie Teardrop 21st May 2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 342959)
Really want to see this, Frankie. I absolutely love the claustrophobic and sunbaked insanity of Who can Kill a Child? - it's one of my favourites, and doesn't pull any punches at all. I've heard conflicting reviews over this one, although the more positive ones have won me over, so it's nice to see your good self giving it a hearty recommendation too!

It's definitely in the spirit of the original - a serious horror film, with, as you say, an utterly claustrophobic atmosphere. It doesn't necessarily go anywhere its predecessor didn't, although interestingly the director seems to want to draw socio-political parallels (which were arguably inherent anyway). The ominous synth-drone soundtrack won me over, too.

Edgeworth 22nd May 2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 342943)
4 really annoyed me with the finale through the tunnels, far too much CGI, i actually quite like 2 Fast 2 Furious, but Tokyo Drift has become my favourite.

Gotta agree, 4 was the worst. Tokyo Drift is my 2nd favourite after the original, check out Initial D, it's also a good "drifting movie".

Watched Island of Lost Souls for the first time tonight. Less Lugosi than i'd hoped but enjoyed it anyways.

SCM 22nd May 2013 07:25 AM

Watched Dellamorte Dellamore last night, brilliant film; loved the black comedy and the performance by Rupert Everett

Dave Boy 22nd May 2013 06:43 PM

The Terminator (1984) blu ray

The Omega Man (1971) blu ray

troggi 22nd May 2013 11:38 PM

Been on a second hand buyin' spree. I got some goodies and some average dvds Just finished watching the just above average "Elektra"

Zann 23rd May 2013 06:09 AM

Heroin Busters

Brilliant. Cool Goblin soundtrack. Good locations and action sequences. Ludicruously camp. Fabio Testi looking like he should be in Brokeback Mountain only 25 years + earlier. David Hemmings doing the angry police chief routine and inturn giving a more enjoyable performance than in Deep Red. Think I'll give Almost Human another spin after this...

SCM 23rd May 2013 08:11 AM

I was planning to watch Scary Movie 1 and 2 last night and ended up playing Borderlands 2 instead :blush:

Dave Boy 23rd May 2013 06:34 PM

When Worlds Collide (1951)

War Of The Worlds (1953)

gag 23rd May 2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCM (Post 343217)
I was planning to watch Scary Movie 1 and 2 last night and ended up playing Borderlands 2 instead :blush:

Good choice.

Susan Foreman 23rd May 2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCM (Post 343217)

I never realised that people planned on watching 'Scary Movie 1 & 2'

I thought it just happened!

Edgeworth 24th May 2013 12:30 AM

Watched the first Ninja Turtle movie tonight, one of my favourite childhood movies. Gotta watch 2 and 3 tomorrow.

The blu-ray discs have pizzas on them. Awesome! :thumb:

troggi 24th May 2013 04:32 AM

I'm a "Spawn" again man!
Love that film, dunno why.:peep:

Zann 24th May 2013 05:56 AM

Lake of Fire

Tony Kaye's jaw-dropping feature length documentary about Pro-Choice vs. Pro-Life in America.

klownz 24th May 2013 07:16 AM

Over the last few days I watched:

"The Black Waters Of Echos Pond" staring Danielle Harris & The crazy twins from planet terror!:rockon:

"Delinquent Girl Boss: Worthless To Confess" A Japanese pinky violence film from the 70's

"All About Evil" Really fun film!

"Port Sinister" Very rare sci-fi film from the 50's

"Lepitrica" Horror film from Yugoslavia:cool:

"36 Pasos" Brilliant indie Spanish horror & a must see! Great film for fans of extreme/crazy stuff:cool:

"Midnight" I finally got around to watching my Arrow release! Loved it!:rockon:

gag 24th May 2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgeworth (Post 343379)
Watched the first Ninja Turtle movie tonight, one of my favourite childhood movies. Gotta watch 2 and 3 tomorrow.

The blu-ray discs have pizzas on them. Awesome! :thumb:

Why Do people not have plates in your house ? Hope you don't scratch the disc trying to get the pizza off.

fuzzymctiger 24th May 2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 343398)
Why Do people not have plates in your house ? Hope you don't scratch the disc trying to get the pizza off.

That's what I use my Urban Explorers blu ray for :peep:

gag 24th May 2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 343432)
That's what I use my Urban Explorers blu ray for :peep:

Yes there is a few films that using them as coasters etc and other things is all they are worth.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th May 2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 343436)
Yes there is a few films that using them as coasters etc and other things is all they are worth.

Remember the days when AOL sent you coasters for free? That was good service!

Vampix 24th May 2013 04:03 PM

Watched The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) and The Evil Dead (1982) on Blu-ray. :cool:

Bringer Of Funerals 24th May 2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 342943)

I really like Tokyo Drift.

Metallicbomb 24th May 2013 06:17 PM

Watched an unusual double bill last night
Creep (2004) - Seen it loads of times, one of my favourite modern british horrors, quite a creepy film.
Then watched
That's What I Am - Comedy/Drama i only watched this with it being a WWE film and featuring Randy Orton (In about 2 scenes:rolleyes:) but realy enjoyed it a heartwarming film.

Frankenhooker 24th May 2013 06:47 PM

Michael - Markus Schleinzer worked under Michael Haneke, and the latter's influence is obvious. Very uncomfortable viewing, although, like 'Happiness', it does contain moments of nervous humour. I'm not sure 'enjoy' is the right word, but it was a very well made, powerful film.

U Turn - Oliver Stone's neo-noir romp has a fantastic cast. Sean Penn, Nick Nolte, Powers Booth and Billy Bob Thornton all show up as well as a sultry Jennifer Lopez. It's a very slight film considering it's director, but enjoyable enough all the same.

Not Quite Hollywood - I love this documentary, it basically covers 'Ozploitation' from it's inception (bawdy sex comedies akin to Russ Meyer) to Wolf Creek. Along the way there are plethora of interviews with directors, producers, stars and critics, as a result it's very even-handed with everyone putting there point across well. Everyone's favourite Uber-geek, Tarantino, pops up and typically loves everything. Great film, which leads me on to...

Turkey Shoot - This is only briefly covered in the above and not in a flattering light. In fact, Not Quite Hollywood's director calls it an awful film in the extras, he goes on to say that some may find it entertaining in a 'so bad, it's good' way. I find it entertaining in a 'so great, it's a blast' kind of way. It's just ridiculously entertaining, just a gloriously over the top B-movie. Great fun.

Delirium 24th May 2013 07:13 PM

Caught Society on the big screen last night, with director Brian Yuzna in attendance. This was the 'world debut' of the new HD master, which arrived from Germany that very morning, so even Yuzna hadn't seen it before - needless to say it looks magnificent and Yuzna was thrilled. I hadn't seen it for a couple of decades either, so this was a great way to revisit it.

Telling of a Californian rich kid who starts to suspect something is very off with his wealthy family and their peers, Society delves into the artifice behind Beverly Hills living, stripping away the gloss and decadence to reveal something quite literally slimy underneath. So, is there some kind of political commentary in there? Nah.. (according to Yuzna, when asked the question) - it's just a genre film with an idea. But what an idea; the finale alone being an unforgettable orgy of entwined, goo-laden prosthetic special effects. Extraordinary.

Some tidbits from the Q&A:

- Society 2 is still intended to happen with a rough working title of Society Bitches. The script is being written, and examines what goes on behind the V.I.P curtains and restricted areas of those exclusive, elite nightclubs.

- All being well with Society 2, he still intends to work primarily with prosthetic effects, using subtle CGI to make the effects more seamless.

- Re-animator sequel indefinitely on hold due to funding issues.

troggi 24th May 2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 343484)
Caught Society on the big screen last night, with director Brian Yuzna in attendance. This was the 'world debut' of the new HD master, which arrived from Germany that very morning, so even Yuzna hadn't seen it before - needless to say it looks magnificent and Yuzna was thrilled. I hadn't seen it for a couple of decades either, so this was a great way to revisit it.

Telling of a Californian rich kid who starts to suspect something is very off with his wealthy family and their peers, Society delves into the artifice behind Beverly Hills living, stripping away the gloss and decadence to reveal something quite literally slimy underneath. So, is there some kind of political commentary in there? Nah.. (according to Yuzna, when asked the question) - it's just a genre film with an idea. But what an idea; the finale alone being an unforgettable orgy of entwined, goo-laden prosthetic special effects. Extraordinary.

Some tidbits from the Q&A:

- Society 2 is still intended to happen with a rough working title of Society Bitches. The script is being written, and examines what goes on behind the V.I.P curtains and restricted areas of those exclusive, elite nightclubs.

- All being well with Society 2, he still intends to work primarily with prosthetic effects, using subtle CGI to make the effects more seamless.

- Re-animator sequel indefinitely on hold due to funding issues.

Loved "Society", possibly the best film from Yuzna imo.:nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th May 2013 07:41 PM

I'm also massive fan of Society – it's been ages since I saw it though – and you're right about the SFX make-up or 'the shunting' – Screaming Mad George is a genius.

Interesting to hear about the sequel and it's great news to hear it will keep the 'rubber and Vaseline' effects from the original.

nosferatu42 24th May 2013 08:01 PM

Society is a classic. :nod:

it'smebilly 24th May 2013 08:21 PM

Another fan of society here and certainly yuzna's best film. Roll on the blu ray.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Slippery Jack 24th May 2013 08:33 PM

I liked it, but I'm not sure there's much milage there for a sequel. Thought the idea only just about managed not to outstay its welcome in the original . . .

Nordicdusk 24th May 2013 08:39 PM

33 Attachment(s)
Attachment 111264 Attachment 111265 Attachment 111266 Attachment 111267 Attachment 111268 Attachment 111269 Attachment 111270 Attachment 111271 Attachment 111272 Attachment 111273 Attachment 111274 Attachment 111275 Attachment 111276 Attachment 111277 Attachment 111278 Attachment 111279 Attachment 111280 Attachment 111281 Attachment 111282 Attachment 111283 Attachment 111284 Attachment 111285 Attachment 111286 Attachment 111287 Attachment 111288 Attachment 111289 Attachment 111290 Attachment 111291 Attachment 111292 Attachment 111293 Attachment 111295 Attachment 111296

Vampix 24th May 2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 343498)
Society is a classic. :nod:

It's a fun film for sure.I've got the Tartan DVD which I haven't watched in ages.I'll probably give it another spin before I fork out for the Blu-ray, which is coming from, I think, Second Sight?

Slippery Jack 24th May 2013 09:26 PM

The Devil's Men

Thought the early scenes showed promise, but it quickly descended into sloppily directed hokum. Sad to see Peter Cushing wasted on this tosh, but even here he gives an admirably committed performance. Less could be said about Donald Pleasence, who clearly couldn't give a toss. Speaking with a dodgy broad Irish accent for the opening scenes, he all but gives it up for the rest of the film! As well as that, the 'hero', distractingly a Father Ted lookalike, was a thoroughly unlikable bastard! Not good . . .

Zann 24th May 2013 10:58 PM

The Last House on the Beach

Was mainly interested to see something directed by Franco Prosperi that wasn't Mondo. Not bad, Ray Lovelock was pretty good in it and the soundtrack is pretty cool.

nosferatu42 24th May 2013 11:53 PM

Just finished watching Enzo G. Castellari's The Big Racket, really enjoyed it. Got Django Unchained for tomorrow. :pop2: :dance:

Metallicbomb 25th May 2013 12:42 AM

Just watched another unusual double bill
The Descent
Behind Enemy Lines

fuzzymctiger 25th May 2013 04:24 AM

Haven't posted reviews in god knows how long, but lets see what I can remember from what I've seen

The Godfather - Absolute classic. Nothing more to say. Well, maybe that it was nice to see Joe Spinell at the end.

Drive (or Awkward Silence: The Movie) - A brutal, beautiful film, with a great score, and great driving scenes, well, the two there were.

Trainspotting - Fantastic soundtrack, performances, a hard hitting, yet funny film. A much more light hearted look at the downside of heroin then the next film I watched.

Requiem For A Dream - Wow, I severely underestimated the power of this film. I read a lot about people being distrubed by it, and thought it wouldn't be too bad. My god it was crushing, yet so fantastic. Amazingly made, with a modern classic score. Afronosky gets it right (as usual :) )

House Of 1000 Corpses - Best 70's film not from the 70's since Black Dynamite! Fantastic film, very well shot, with great characters and cast. Best modern horror I've seen in a while.

The Devil's Rejects - Aaaand it's gone. What the hell happened here. The exciting visuals of the first movie are gone to the blandest locations I've ever seen. Pointless and annoying torture and terrorizing. And those freeze shots kept getting annoying. The police character was an absolute joke, and that Groucho Marx scene was so bad it had me in hysterics. An absolute mess, but the final scene was great.

Iron Man 3 - Great fun and fantastic writing SPOILER Not too happy with what they did to The Mandarin, though Ben Kingsly made it work perfectly. Though the end with Pepper jumped the shark.

Identity - Great little thriller with nice characters and a great setting. The first few plot twists were fantastic, but the end is a dump.

The Game - David Fincher does a beautiful fantasticly shot thriller with Micheal Douglas doing a superb job with his character.

Fear And Desire - Kubricks first. Can absolutely understand why he wanted it gone, as it's very amateurish, and the writing is down right hilarious at times. Very interesting though if you imagine it as a bunch of Vets on a camping trip who get lost and think they're back in the war.

The Killers Kiss - Cool little Kubrick Noir, with a great ending chase.

A Clockwork Orange - An absolute masterpiece of every kind. Was not disappointed at all. The first 30 minutes of non stop "ultra violence" must have been shocking at the time. Ends up like a revenge film almost, with him reencountring everyone he terrorized, but then it gets reversed. Malcolm McDowell does an amazing job at Alex.

Full Metal Jacket - R Lee Ermey makes this movie with his terrorising Drill Sergant. Would say amazing writing, except most was improvised! Great film, great soundtrack, great Vietnam war movie. Love the fact that Kubrick did two of my favorite subgenre - Vietnam movie, and Ghost Story.

Spartacus - Saw this at a local cinema in 2K. Theatre owner came out an apologized before the movie started, for what he said was the single worst transfer he'd ever seen. Said it was a disaster, all detail was gone, it was a hazy mess, plagued with DNR, EE and more. And he was right. Ugliest damn thing ive ever seen. Good movie though, if a bit of a downer, and a bit camp at times.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire - If Disney did Indiana Jones. Fantastic, enjoyable movie. Great writing, and nice use of Mike Mignola's art style.

Kill Bill Vol 1 - My god it's been cobbled together from everything I love. A fantastic violent revenge movie, that is also like a Japanese samurai type movie, very similar to Lady Snowblood. Almost the perfect action movie IMO.

Deadly Blessing - Wes Craven is fantastic at doing terror and tension from what I've seen. Nightmare on Elm Street is a classic, and Hills Have Eyes was so goddamn creepy, I didn't even get up to the trailer raid!

Whew, that's all I can remember. There were probably more. Also recently noticed that I cracked the 100 mark for the IMDB top 250. Going to try see the other 150 before I turn 18 :)

keirarts 25th May 2013 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 343523)
The Last House on the Beach

Was mainly interested to see something directed by Franco Prosperi that wasn't Mondo. Not bad, Ray Lovelock was pretty good in it and the soundtrack is pretty cool.

I think its pretty good as well. The only thing that bothered me was the slow motion rape scene :crazy: