Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

keirarts 27th May 2013 02:58 PM

Hangover 3.

Not as good as the first but for me better than the second. If you hated the last two then it isnt going to win you over. No hangover in the film as such, instead the wolf pack have to deal with blowback from plots in the first two, mainly the fault of Chow (who steals the film incidentally)

pedromonkey 27th May 2013 03:17 PM

watched Despicable Me with my little brother, he loved it, i'd seen it before and i liked it the first time. I say little brother, he's 26.

Dave Boy 27th May 2013 05:04 PM

Hammer Films

The Steel Bayonet (1957)

Yesterday's Enemy (1959)
Fantastic film. Highly recommended !

Linbro 27th May 2013 08:40 PM

There was a Polanski night on one of our non commercial stations, on Sunday night. I watched a doco - 'Polanski - Wanted & Desired', which was excellent. I recorded 'The Tenant' and will watch tonight. Have only seen it once - on the big screen, as part of a horror marathon. Really looking forward to re-visiting it.

Nordicdusk 27th May 2013 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 111614

I dont usually say much about films i have watched just a group of pictures but wow this is a fantastic film. I didnt know what to expect from it just went in blind i knew it was highly taught of but that was it. I was gripped from the moment it started until the very end. Im looking forward to watching the rest of the films in the Film Noir boxset even more now.

Whats the Blu Ray of this like ? Its well worth a double dip in my eyes.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th May 2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 344004)
Attachment 111614

I dont usually say much about films i have watched just a group of pictures but wow this is a fantastic film. I didnt know what to expect from it just went in blind i knew it was highly taught of but that was it. I was gripped from the moment it started until the very end. Im looking forward to watching the rest of the films in the Film Noir boxset even more now.

Whats the Blu Ray of this like ? Its well worth a double dip in my eyes.

An all time classic noir. :nod:

Wait till you watch The Big Steal.

Colorized noir. :shocked: :doh:

Nordicdusk 27th May 2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 344005)
An all time classic noir. :nod:

Wait till you watch The Big Steal.

Colorized noir. :shocked: :doh:

Im really new to this genre but i think ill be digging right into it now. Any other good collections i should look out for or just films.

Yeah the color had me a little confused.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th May 2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 344006)
Im really new to this genre but i think ill be digging right into it now. Any other good collections i should look out for or just films.

Yeah the color had me a little confused.

That set is excellent and features some classics of the genre.

I would also recommend off the top of my head

The Asphalt Jungle
Gilda
Laura
In a Lonely Place
Dead Reckoning
Dark Passage
Murder My Sweet
Touch of Evil

I trust you have The Big Sleep and The Maltese Falcon already from some of your earlier posts.

Slippery Jack 27th May 2013 09:08 PM

Criterion Blu of Kiss Me Deadly...mmmmmmmmm :woot: . . .

Nordicdusk 27th May 2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 344007)
That set is excellent and features some classics of the genre.

I would also recommend off the top of my head

The Asphalt Jungle
Gilda
In a Lonely Place
Dead Reckoning
Dark Passage
Murder My Sweet
Touch of Evil

I trust you have The Big Sleep and The Maltese Falcon already from some of your earlier posts.

Yes i have both those films. Cheers for the suggestions ill keep an eye out for the ones you listed.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th May 2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 344009)
Criterion Blu of Kiss Me Deadly...mmmmmmmmm :woot: . . .

Would you really recommend Kiss Me Deadly to someone starting in the field?

All those weird camera angles and as for the plot? :loco:

Slippery Jack 27th May 2013 09:23 PM

I would recommend Kiss Me Deadly to anyone who likes SUPER FREAKIN' AWESOME FILMS :tongue1::cool: . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th May 2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 344014)
I would recommend Kiss Me Deadly to anyone who likes SUPER FREAKIN' AWESOME FILMS :tongue1::cool: . . .

Try as i might, i can't really argue with that.

Slippery Jack 27th May 2013 09:29 PM

Jacques Tourneur's Out of the Past would be another stone cold classic not yet mentioned :nod: . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th May 2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 344016)
Jacques Tourneur's Out of the Past would be another stone cold classic not yet mentioned :nod: . . .

Its in the box set Nordic picked up. :)

Slippery Jack 27th May 2013 09:34 PM

Good. Well then why hasn't he watched it yet :tongue1: . . . ?

Nordicdusk 27th May 2013 09:35 PM

Cheers SJ i have added that first one to the list :)

Nordicdusk 27th May 2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 344019)
Good. Well then why hasn't he watched it yet :tongue1: . . . ?

So much for going to bed for work in the morning ill watch it now if that makes you happy :tongue1:

:lol:

Slippery Jack 27th May 2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 344021)
So much for going to bed for work in the morning ill watch it now if that makes you happy :tongue1:

:lol:

I demand it. Work shmork . . .

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th May 2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linbro (Post 344003)
There was a Polanski night on one of our non commercial stations, on Sunday night. I watched a doco - 'Polanski - Wanted & Desired', which was excellent. I recorded 'The Tenant' and will watch tonight. Have only seen it once - on the big screen, as part of a horror marathon. Really looking forward to re-visiting it.

Polanski: Wanted and Desired is a brilliant documentary and compulsory viewing for anyone who has an interest in the rape case which now sees him unwilling to return to the US.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 344012)
Would you really recommend Kiss Me Deadly to someone starting in the field?

All those weird camera angles and as for the plot? :loco:

I would recommend Kiss Me Deadly to anyone who likes films!

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th May 2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 344024)
I demand it. Work shmork . . .

I've heard he has ways of checking Nordic. :spy: :eek:

Slippery Jack 27th May 2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 344025)
I would recommend Kiss Me Deadly to anyone who likes films!

Is there an echo in here ;)

And yes, I DO have ways of checking. I call it... looking at this thread same time tomorrow night. Don't let me down, Nordicdusk . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th May 2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 344027)
I Don't let me down, Nordicdusk . . .

I saw that. ;)

Slippery Jack 27th May 2013 09:59 PM

What are you talking about, you damn loon :tongue1: . . . ?

troggi 27th May 2013 11:03 PM

Some months agone I wandered into that wonderful emporium "The Works" and picked up a bargain bundle of classic British (hold that chin high, laddie, if you have one that is) Comedy.

I believe that I have already spoken of some of the wonders contained within this trilogy of digital versatile discs namely; "Sir Henry at Rawlinson End" (there are two compact discs, you know like dvds without the visual capacity, about this rumbunctious chap), and the very wickedly naughty political satire "The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer".

The third volume was entitled "Futtock's End" which was written by and starred the late, great giant of British entertainment Ronnie Barker. The blurb on the rather flimsy part carton that contained the three dvd cases said so, the cover of the dvd said so, the illustration and the writing on the disc itself said that this, indeed, was "Futtock's End", written by and starring Saint Ronnie Barker.

Was it buggery! it was a documentary about Stewart Suttcliffe: the "Lost Beatle". So I gave it to "t' Daughter o' Darkness" 'cause she likes those cheeky scallys (I can call them that without being racist, can't I?)

Demoncrat 28th May 2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 344034)
Some months agone I wandered into that wonderful emporium "The Works" and picked up a bargain bundle of classic British (hold that chin high, laddie, if you have one that is) Comedy.

I believe that I have already spoken of some of the wonders contained within this trilogy of digital versatile discs namely; "Sir Henry at Rawlinson End" (there are two compact discs, you know like dvds without the visual capacity, about this rumbunctious chap), and the very wickedly naughty political satire "The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer".

The third volume was entitled "Futtock's End" which was written by and starred the late, great giant of British entertainment Ronnie Barker. The blurb on the rather flimsy part carton that contained the three dvd cases said so, the cover of the dvd said so, the illustration and the writing on the disc itself said that this, indeed, was "Futtock's End", written by and starring Saint Ronnie Barker.

Was it buggery! it was a documentary about Stewart Suttcliffe: the "Lost Beatle". So I gave it to "t' Daughter o' Darkness" 'cause she likes those cheeky scallys (I can call them that without being racist, can't I?)

The Works!! Are they still open??

Slippery Jack 28th May 2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 344061)
The Works!! Are they still open??

What you going on about? They're all over the place! The Wolverhapmton one is good - they get a cool selection of graphic novels every now and again. I got both League of Extrordinary Gentlemen books for £2.99 each. Also got Watchmen and Batman: Arkham Asylum from there . . .

Prince_Vajda 28th May 2013 12:21 PM

This may sound like a stupid question on the wrong thread, but...I fell in love with Veronica Lake's looks...can anybody recommend a few nice films with her (apart from I Married a Witch which I already ordered)?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 28th May 2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 344076)
This may sound like a stupid question on the wrong thread, but...I fell in love with Veronica Lake's looks...can anybody recommend a few nice films with her (apart from I Married a Witch which I already ordered)?

I'd personally recommend 'This Gun for Hire'. A very good Noir with a decent central performance from Lake.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th May 2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 344076)

You can't go wrong with Sullivan's Travels.

demonknight 28th May 2013 03:23 PM

Burial Ground aka The Nights of Terror :crazy:

sawyer6 28th May 2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 344020)
Cheers SJ i have added that first one to the list :)

This box set is very good also Play.com - Buy The Film Noir Classics (4 Discs) online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

troggi 28th May 2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 343812)

No, sorry Nos, this was way back in my early teens, the BG years (Before Guinness). It may have been called something else but was the same story from the book.

But, then again in the intervening PG years (guess) things may have become messed up in the decaying brain cell dept. and I just read the book as if I was "lucid dreaming".

Thank you all the same for looking.

:clap:

Dave Boy 28th May 2013 07:11 PM

Attack Of The 50 Foot Woman (1958) :happy:

Chrispyduck 28th May 2013 07:16 PM

Watched Cannibal Apocalypse last night, superb FX and superb cheesy 70's soundtrack recommended viewing.

Zann 28th May 2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrispyduck (Post 344128)
Watched Cannibal Apocalypse last night, superb FX and superb cheesy 70's soundtrack recommended viewing.

Great cast too :)

Zann 28th May 2013 08:10 PM

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

Leatherface reminds me a lot of the monster in The Funhouse in this one. Also funny how Tobe Hooper opted to give the family the name Sawyer in the sequel when there was no reference (at least to my memory) in the first.

Nordicdusk 28th May 2013 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 111731

I cant say if this was a good film or not because the accents just kept taking me out of the film. No matter how hard i tried i just could not focus on the film its so hard to take it serious with all the German officers being English. Maybe next time i watch it ill know what to expect and pay more attention to the actual film.

Slippery Jack 28th May 2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 344160)
I cant say if this was a good film or not because the accents just kept taking me out of the film.

Absolutely. That would be something I'd stick on my 'unbearable' list. It's like a big flashing neon sign saying "you are clearly too dumb to watch actual foreign films. Here's a simplified version so you don't have to read" :doh: . . .

Nordicdusk 28th May 2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 344161)
Absolutely. That would be something I'd stick on my 'unbearable' list. It's like a big flashing neon sign saying "you are clearly too dumb to watch actual foreign films. Here's a simplified version so you don't have to read" :doh: . . .

My GF kept saying " yes i know you keep saying that over and over " :lol: