Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

gag 30th July 2017 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 544202)
That's harsh. At least i'm interested in what Demoncrats on about.

Right I'm going to make a complaint I'm sick of you lot bullying and insulting me :-(
I'm in bed and I'm going to cry myself to sleep , being bullied can cause people to do stupid things like top themselves ,and if I do I'm coming back to haunt the fecking lot of you, then you'll be sorry mark my words :nod:bastards :tongue1:

Demoncrat 30th July 2017 02:29 AM

Dracula, Prisoner Of Frankenstein

Goes quite well
with The Fall

Nacht!!

J Harker 30th July 2017 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 544233)
Right I'm going to make a complaint I'm sick of you lot bullying and insulting me :-(
I'm in bed and I'm going to cry myself to sleep , being bullied can cause people to do stupid things like top themselves ,and if I do I'm coming back to haunt the fecking lot of you, then you'll be sorry mark my words :nod:bastards :tongue1:

You jest surely? Thought you were all about a bit of banter??

Mojo 30th July 2017 07:56 AM

TWO MALES FOR ALEXA
First off in a Rosalba Neri double bill, this tells the tale of a young woman ( Neri ) who starts an affair with a younger man after marrying an older ( and wealthier ) gent, who gets his revenge by trapping them inside his house and trying to frame them for murder.
Although not a Giallo per se, this still has plenty to appeal to fans of the genre. Apart from a few location scenes, the finale of this one almost has the feel of a stage play between the two increasingly desperate characters.
Having only seen this on a crappy ( cut ) dvd, needless to say it went straight in the bin after getting this lovely looking Blu ray from X Cult. As well as being fully uncut, it includes a few extra/alternate scenes, including some from the beach scene, which fans of Ms Neri will enjoy ( I know I did ). Recommended.

COLD BLOODED BEAST
Fernando Di Leo's ultra sleazy 1971 Giallo makes its fully uncut debut in the UK, courtesy of 88 Films Italian Collection. The premise of the movie is plainly ridiculous ( violent mental patients being treated in an institution full of medieval torture implements ! ) but it has a great cast, including Rosalba Neri, Margaret Lee and Klaus Kinski.
Di Leo's swirling, in your face camera work is in evidence here, but for such a sleaze fest, it can be quite slow at times. Still, an essential addition to any Giallo collection, 88's edition is the longest available ( meaning a slight drop in quality in one or two short scenes ) and, as mentioned, is fully uncut. This one really does earn its 18 certificate!
Some good extras here, including a 2017 interview with Ms Neri make this one of 88's strongest releases in the collection.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 30th July 2017 09:29 AM

Who needs to actually watch films when you have the entertainment value that is this thread. :D

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th July 2017 09:40 AM

A Man Called Ove (Hannes Holm, 2015)

This Swedish film (original title En man som heter Ove) is based on the 2012 book of the same name by Fredrik Backman follows the titular man, a petty, badtempered widower, who spends his days at work, talking to his recently deceased wife, Sonja, mostly at her graveside, or rigidly enforcing the housing association rules where he lives. When he is unexpectedly laid off after 43 years of good work, he makes the decision to kill himself to be with Sonja, but this turns out to be unexpectedly difficult, due in no small part to the arrival of new neighbours: Patrick, his heavily pregnant Iranian wife and their two daughters.

We are first introduced to Ove in the supermarket where he picks up one bunch of flowers from the 2 for 70 kroner section and is adamant he should only pay 35 kroner for them, not the 50 the cashier demands. When his logical argument is getting nowhere, he asks to see her supervisor and is told he is having his lunch, to which Ove retorts that he should be brushing up on arithmetic rather than eating.

As the film progresses and Ove grows closer to his neighbours, we are shown flashbacks of his life as a child and young man, discovering what happened to his parents and wife, something which coincides with a more human side to him coming through. There is a tonal similarity to the 2013 Swedish film The Hundred Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared as this shifts seamlessly between moving pathos and laugh out loud humour, eliciting both tears and loud laughter from the (admittedly small) audience with whom I saw the film yesterday. Like films which work as both horrors and comedies, making one which is a heartfelt, moving drama and uplifting, endearing comedy is a tough act and one which Holm does with sublime skill. Rolf Lassgård is quite brilliant in the title role and the small supporting cast are equally brilliant.

Much of the humour is based on human interaction and although I found some of the interactions about cars – Ove is a Saab driver who hates Volvos, but not as much as he detests cars made outside Sweden – very funny, it will probably mean more to a Swedish viewer or someone who has spent considerable time there. For one example, he can't stand German cars, summarising his feelings about one acquaintance with the line "If you can make someone who drives an Audi understand. Four zeros on the grill and a fifth at the wheel."

It is a film which will not appear at your local multiplex and is more likely to show what an art centre or independent cinema, and it is worth keeping an eye out for showings, or when it appears to buy or rent for home viewing. I haven't read the novel on which this is based, but I have been told the film is at least its equal, so those of you who have read the book are likely to be disappointed by this adaptation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mls2rlu1w_g

gag 30th July 2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 544238)
You jest surely? Thought you were all about a bit of banter??

I sincerely hope you didn't take a word of that seriously :nod::lol: if so only crying I be doing is crying with laughter and I hope you are scared of ghost for when I come back to haunt you .

nosferatu42 30th July 2017 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 193236;)

J Harker 30th July 2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 544243)
I sincerely hope you didn't take a word of that seriously :nod:[emoji38] if so only crying I be doing is crying with laughter and I hope you are scared of ghost for when I come back to haunt you .

No you're ok, I don't take anything you say seriously gag. [emoji6]

SymbioticFunction 30th July 2017 04:06 PM

Finally got around to rewatching A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge. I ordered Dream Warriors 18 months ago (which I'm a big fan of) and it was an American region friendly, double bill blu-ray. Freddy's Revenge is quite a difficult film to rate as whilst the direction is actually pretty good (by Jack Sholder of The Hidden fame), the shooting script is truly dreadful! The film has it's fans as it still features a non-wisecracking villain and interestingly, like Top Gun, is said to be a highly homoerotic film. Wes Craven was so disappointed with this film that he would return as co-writer for the far superior third entry. Film score - a very grudging 5/10.

trebor8273 30th July 2017 04:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ILz9bC-VU

7.5/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpDaNqSXxp0

9.5/10

Dave Boy 30th July 2017 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 193260
THE LONE RANGER (1956)

A rancher starts stirring up trouble against the nearby Indian tribe. The sacred mountain has silver running through the rock and he wants it for himself..

A First big screen movie for the western hero.
Enjoyable and colourful adventure. :cool:

gag 30th July 2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 544248)
No you're ok, I don't take anything you say seriously gag. [emoji6]

Erm thanks .....I think :lol::tongue1:

Justin101 30th July 2017 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 544266)
Finally got around to rewatching A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge. I ordered Dream Warriors 18 months ago (which I'm a big fan of) and it was an American region friendly, double bill blu-ray. Freddy's Revenge is quite a difficult film to rate as whilst the direction is actually pretty good (by Jack Sholder of The Hidden fame), the shooting script is truly dreadful! The film has it's fans as it still features a non-wisecracking villain and interestingly, like Top Gun, is said to be a highly homoerotic film. Wes Craven was so disappointed with this film that he would return as co-writer for the far superior third entry. Film score - a very grudging 5/10.

I'm a big fan of the 2nd entry in the series and probably have it level pegging with part 3 for enjoyment factor. Although, having watched a marathon of all the films recently part 3 had actually lost a bit of it's shine, it's one that actually feels really dated.

keirarts 30th July 2017 06:51 PM

The Graduate

The local VUE were screening Criterion's new 4K restoration of this so couldn't resist popping down to see it.

I've had a weird relationship with this film. The first time I saw it aged about 14 I absolutely hated it, thought it was gloomy and dull. But with age comes wisdom (hopefully) and a few life experiences that put things into perspective.

Benjamin Braddock has the classic signs of depression. Having been there myself I could see it a lot more clearly than I could at 14. Basically at that age I was somewhat like the middle class suburbanites who surround him. In fairness its something that can be hard to spot, and at the time the film was set not as discussed as it is now. His depression seems to stem at least in part at facing growing up and becoming his parents. I think its this dissatisfaction with the way his life is headed that leads him into the arms of one of his parents friends. Mrs Robinson however is someone who is hitting middle age, she also is depressed, perhaps more accutely than Benjamin. When they discuss her past in one scene its clear that when she was younger she had dreams and aspirations that were quickly snuffed out by pregnancy and marriage. This left a tragic, bitter chain smoking drunk.

The Graduate really works for me more than it ever has. It somewhat worked the first time for me when I left university. Sometimes its a difficult watch but overall I think it genuinely is a brilliant film. The criterion restoration looks stunning btw.

Justin101 30th July 2017 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 544284)
The Graduate

The local VUE were screening Criterion's new 4K restoration of this so couldn't resist popping down to see it.

I've had a weird relationship with this film. The first time I saw it aged about 14 I absolutely hated it, thought it was gloomy and dull. But with age comes wisdom (hopefully) and a few life experiences that put things into perspective.

Benjamin Braddock has the classic signs of depression. Having been there myself I could see it a lot more clearly than I could at 14. Basically at that age I was somewhat like the middle class suburbanites who surround him. In fairness its something that can be hard to spot, and at the time the film was set not as discussed as it is now. His depression seems to stem at least in part at facing growing up and becoming his parents. I think its this dissatisfaction with the way his life is headed that leads him into the arms of one of his parents friends. Mrs Robinson however is someone who is hitting middle age, she also is depressed, perhaps more accutely than Benjamin. When they discuss her past in one scene its clear that when she was younger she had dreams and aspirations that were quickly snuffed out by pregnancy and marriage. This left a tragic, bitter chain smoking drunk.

The Graduate really works for me more than it ever has. It somewhat worked the first time for me when I left university. Sometimes its a difficult watch but overall I think it genuinely is a brilliant film. The criterion restoration looks stunning btw.

This is one of those films I've always wanted to see and just never got around to, the list is shortening all the time though!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th July 2017 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 544285)
This is one of those films I've always wanted to see and just never got around to, the list is shortening all the time though!

The Graduate is a genuinely great film, one where your viewing experience will probably be influenced by Wayne's World 2, which lovingly parodies Mike Nichols' masterpiece.

SymbioticFunction 30th July 2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 544283)
I'm a big fan of the 2nd entry in the series and probably have it level pegging with part 3 for enjoyment factor. Although, having watched a marathon of all the films recently part 3 had actually lost a bit of it's shine, it's one that actually feels really dated.

One of the things that really surprised me about NOES 2 was that a school jock would have a Frank Zappa 'Them Or Us' poster on his wall. :)

trebor8273 30th July 2017 08:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTz_RfgX4JA

8/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ISgM9sjza8

9/10

Demoncrat 30th July 2017 09:41 PM

Ahem....

Edmond (2005, Stuart Gordon)
Now if I say this is an adaptation of David Mamet's own play .... some will instantly know what to expect ;)
For the uninitiated ... a group of folk stand around shouting about how angry they are at having privileged lives :lol:
So William H Macy takes a walk on the wilder side in a tale that is by turn shocking and hysterically funny. Combs does turn up :hail:
Did feel like Mamet was trying to ape Ferrara and Schraeder throughout ....
And due to the still obvious class bias held by the BBFC , this was passed for an 18, whilst Fight For Your Life stays in limbo. Same as it ever was then :rolleyes:
Recommended. Bints galore etc ... Stiles, Suvari etc ;)

Demoncrat 30th July 2017 10:14 PM

Top Gun homoerotic?
I've seen less gayer Jeff Stryker films
:laugh:

Ahem.

And isn't Dweezil in the background somewhere in ANOES II??

Demoncrat 30th July 2017 10:32 PM

Blaxploitation is a broad church
Hear me testify

Willie Dynamite (1974, Gilbert Moses)
Willie is the maaan. But someone's got it in for him .... a gritty tone reveals itself as events unfold.
Plus this film contains many many fashion violations. :pound:
Recommended. The anti Superfly ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th July 2017 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 544285)

Ditto on The Graduate.

Silly thing is i've owned it for years too.

Demoncrat 30th July 2017 11:34 PM

Gwendoline (1984; Just Jaecken)
A film made by and for perverts.
HIGHLY recommended. :dance::laugh::hail::nod:

bioshark 31st July 2017 05:42 AM

Just saw spider-man: Homecoming. Very mediocre. Sam raimi brought a gravitas and horror atmosphere to his trilogy that brought it to a higher level.

Frankie Teardrop 31st July 2017 12:22 PM

ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS – Stuck in bed with a lousy cold, I turned to my pile of discs... it felt like the right time to get into ZFE, held by many to be a classic but a film that I consider to be a bit of a snoozefest. Yes, it's sacrament to some, but my memories are always of me twiddling my thumbs and waiting for someone to get poked in the eye. But something always draws me back in. Images, scenes. It has, near the start, one of my all time fave shots in the history of cinema, the one where the camera zooms in on some worms slithering across the keys of a piano whilst the soundtrack bursts into a throbbing synth pulse. Don't ask me why, but that has to be my most treasured Fulci moment. ZFE approaches a similar level of craziness at other points, too – the shark attack, the rise of the conquistadores. It may suffer from clunky pacing, but there's no doubting its atmosphere in places... images of the walking dead swaying through the windswept streets of Matul have a tendency to linger. As does Fulci's camera – that's what I like about him, he tends to get close to the violence and stays with it, even slows it down. In fact, he's always stepping out of narrative time and searching for something visual or a bit impressive to look at, whether this be the gradual disintegration of a zombie's fingers being crushed by a door, or an airport lounge. There are moments, such as the one when a bored-looking zombie stares sullenly at the floor as Fabio Frizzi's electronics spark up, which seem like the essence of dream, and you can almost sense a new world being born, or at least a new aesthetic.

DRACULA, PRISONER OF FRANKENSTEIN – It's kind of an homage to the old Universal classics of the thirties, a golden era of horror cinema when Frankenstein and Dracula pretty much ruled in their genteel way without having to resort to much blood or cleavage. Here, they've made a comeback in more sexed-up times (1972, to be exact), and who should be at the directorial reins? None other than Jess Franco, lord of delirious erotic overkill. Those expecting a load of throat biting and shagging will be a bit non-plussed, as this is kind of restrained for a Franco movie. It is, however, pretty f8cking weird. It's not entirely silent, but vast portions of it are without dialogue. And although it does in essence tell a story, it's much more about images – images of Howard Vernon climbing out of a coffin, images of a woman in a psychiatric clinic writhing around on the floor, images of some gypsies hanging out, images of a dude turning into a werewolf at the end just because he can. If shots of candles, bats, sinister looking windows and machines with flashing lights don't do it for you, look somewhere else. As a film, you just have to go with it – let it wash over you and go wherever it takes you. Don't fight it, or you'll lose it – big time. Especially, don't ask the question “why does this film seem to be about people going in and out of buildings and not saying anything whilst the wind blows constantly on the soundtrack?” Because there are no answers. Not as wham bam psychedelic as its cousin 'Erotic Rites of Frankenstein', but somehow madder despite being quieter.

FLESH EATER – Does this film reveal Bill Hinzman to be the hidden genius of NOTLD? Maybe not so much, but, in its frenzy of mid-eighties denim and excessive gore, it's paved a way to my heart for one. There are some late teens up in the woods, gathered there to drink beer and dance – they literally do that at one point, just break off from the story and have a bit of a shimmy to Rock FM. You wouldn't get that in a film these days. Anyway, maybe there's a black magic curse on the area or something, because somewhere along the way a walking corpse is disinterred – it's Bill himself, reprising his iconic role from NOTLD! I quite like that, no explanation given or anything, just THAT zombie – and he's back! Did they think the average viewer would get it? I'm not sure I do. Anyway, zombie contagion spreads throughout the region and pretty soon there's a mass panic yada yada. Except it all happens very quietly, in a case of budgetary concerns triumphing over narrative. I quite like what they do here, as the story just basically dissolves into a series of vignettes, mostly involving violent murder by zombies in local houses – beats rounding everyone up in a shopping mall if you don't have that kind of cash. It also gives the film a kind of suspended, unintended dream-like feel, one event following the next along the flimsiest safety rope of causality. The accidental atmosphere is compounded by the bleakish rural-city setting (if that makes sense), and the cheapo film stock, which gives it a feel harking back to more grindhouse times. A blatant, brutal cash-in, 'Flesh Eater' is great stuff and is really what trash cinema's all about.

Justin101 31st July 2017 12:33 PM

https://s25.postimg.org/wjaseihu7/Weekend_Watchings.png

Three first time viewings for me this weekend, first up with Ginger Snaps, it took a few beats to get used to the acting style but once I was in it I was all in and loved this film, it has some flaws (the wig) but over all it was exciting and interesting.

I'm not a Nic Cage fan, let's get that out of the way, his acting in The Rock was hysterically over the top, I tried to zone him out a bit. Other than that it was high octane, fast and action packed! Connery was good and Ed Harris was great too. Not the best 90's actioner out there - perhaps I should have watched Con-Air but I wanted to watch something I'd never seen before.

On to the last episode of Resident Evil - although I don't for one minute believe it's the last one, they even left a not so subtle nod towards keeping the franchise open at the end. Loads of action, loads of zombies, loads of cheesy dialogue, Iain Glenn wiping the floor with everyone else in the film! I enjoyed this quite a bit, good Sunday afternoon viewing :lol:

Justin101 31st July 2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 544354)
FLESH EATER.

Is this the one which VIPCO released as Zombie Nosh? It's been AEONs since I saw that so I can't be sure :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st July 2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 544354)
FLESH EATER – Does this film reveal Bill Hinzman to be the hidden genius of NOTLD? Maybe not so much, but, in its frenzy of mid-eighties denim and excessive gore, it's paved a way to my heart for one. There are some late teens up in the woods, gathered there to drink beer and dance – they literally do that at one point, just break off from the story and have a bit of a shimmy to Rock FM. You wouldn't get that in a film these days. Anyway, maybe there's a black magic curse on the area or something, because somewhere along the way a walking corpse is disinterred – it's Bill himself, reprising his iconic role from NOTLD! I quite like that, no explanation given or anything, just THAT zombie – and he's back! Did they think the average viewer would get it? I'm not sure I do. Anyway, zombie contagion spreads throughout the region and pretty soon there's a mass panic yada yada. Except it all happens very quietly, in a case of budgetary concerns triumphing over narrative. I quite like what they do here, as the story just basically dissolves into a series of vignettes, mostly involving violent murder by zombies in local houses – beats rounding everyone up in a shopping mall if you don't have that kind of cash. It also gives the film a kind of suspended, unintended dream-like feel, one event following the next along the flimsiest safety rope of causality. The accidental atmosphere is compounded by the bleakish rural-city setting (if that makes sense), and the cheapo film stock, which gives it a feel harking back to more grindhouse times. A blatant, brutal cash-in, 'Flesh Eater' is great stuff and is really what trash cinema's all about.

I gave my copy of Flesh Eater away by mistake and didn't have the heart to ask for it back. It was one of those two films on one disc dvd's. I should really buy another copy as it's quite something else. If i recall twas' gory as hell (on a budget).

It came from the same set as one of copies of the wonderful Flesh for the Beast. Yes, one of my copies as i have two. Both are different cuts of the same film which i find a bit odd - both uncut, just different.

Frankie Teardrop 31st July 2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 544360)
Is this the one which VIPCO released as Zombie Nosh? It's been AEONs since I saw that so I can't be sure :lol:

Yes, that's right. I'm pretty sure I had that release at one point. Blue Underground did a better version, and there's another cheap UK disc out there (or there was at the time I bought it, years ago) which might just be a port of the BU. A slightly varied history for a film so obviously destined for the margins.

Justin101 31st July 2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 544366)
Yes, that's right. I'm pretty sure I had that release at one point. Blue Underground did a better version, and there's another cheap UK disc out there (or there was at the time I bought it, years ago) which might just be a port of the BU. A slightly varied history for a film so obviously destined for the margins.

Thanks for the info, I thought it was. I'll try and hunt down a cheap and nasty DVD and give it another go.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st July 2017 12:57 PM

Have you had a look at the quality of Grave of the Vampire yet, Justin?

Frankie Teardrop 31st July 2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 544361)
I gave my copy of Flesh Eater away by mistake and didn't have the heart to ask for it back. It was one of those two films on one disc dvd's. I should really buy another copy as it's quite something else. If i recall twas' gory as hell (on a budget).

It came from the same set as one of copies of the wonderful Flesh for the Beast. Yes, one of my copies as i have two. Both are different cuts of the same film which i find a bit odd - both uncut, just different.

Yeah, it's a film I'd want around - or at least I think so now, as, before 'rediscovering' it the other day, I'd forgotten pretty much everything about it, including the full-on gore that you point out. It's still fairly available, I think, and there's a cheap UK disc that looks pretty good. I can't believe I was scampering around the internet looking for a Blu-ray, really got to stop that kind of shit.

Oh yeah, I forgot we share an appreciation of 'Flesh For The Beast'! I only have the one version, though. Might have to dig it out, now you've reminded me... makes me nostalgic for the time when loads of that kind of stuff seemed to be coming out. Maybe I'm out of touch or something, but I never really seem to find that sort of thing these days. Feel like I'm falling back on old stuff (hence my last review, and the several before that).

Justin101 31st July 2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 544370)
Have you had a look at the quality of Grave of the Vampire yet, Justin?

It's ropey to say the least :lol: There is an American DVD which has been remastered but it's considerably more expensive!

Just picked up this from MM for £1.39, thanks Frankie

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1EPB1754NL.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st July 2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 544371)
Yeah, it's a film I'd want around - or at least I think so now, as, since 'rediscovering' it the other day, I'd forgotten pretty much everything about it, including the full-on gore that you point out. It's still fairly available, I think, and there's a cheap UK disc that looks pretty good. I can't believe I was scampering around the internet looking for a Blu-ray, really got to stop that kind of shit.

Oh yeah, I forgot we share an appreciation of 'Flesh For The Beast'! I only have the one version, though. Might have to dig it out, now you've reminded me... makes me nostalgic for the time when loads of that kind of stuff seemed to be coming out. Maybe I'm out of touch or something, but I never really seem to find that sort of thing these days. Feel like I'm falling back on old stuff (hence my last review, and the several before that).

It does seem like films of that ilk are few and far between. Back in the day i used to buy a bit of tat based purely on what i thought was an interesting or schlocky premise or in some cases, a decent cover. Now i still see this sort of stuff...then notice it has one star on Amazon and a load of scathing reviews from people who watched it on Primetv and get put off a purchase.

I should trust my gut feeling more. :nod:

Rik 31st July 2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 544373)
It's ropey to say the least :lol: There is an American DVD which has been remastered but it's considerably more expensive!

Just picked up this from MM for £1.39, thanks Frankie

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1EPB1754NL.jpg

That's the one I have, had it for years and never watched it (along with a ton of other discs :lol: ) :nod:

Frankie Teardrop 31st July 2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 544374)
It does seem like films of that ilk are few and far between. Back in the day i used to buy a bit of tat based purely on what i thought was an interesting or schlocky premise or in some cases, a decent cover. Now i still see this sort of stuff...then notice it has one star on Amazon and a load of scathing reviews from people who watched it on Primetv and get put off a purchase.

I should trust my gut feeling more. :nod:

I think I've become a bit more cautious in my buying, too, so yeah that's possibly why fewer 'Flesh For The Beast's and 'Goat-man Murder's are turning up for me. There's a vast ocean of modern vid-cam trash on Amazon Prime, and that's where all the goods will be, but I can't be arsed to make any headway with it. MTDS looks into that kind of thing quite often still. I think that maybe, having done this for quite a while, I'm getting a bit tired and expect to be entertained without any effort. This has meant that my choices have become more mainstream in a way, which I'm not proud of.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st July 2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 544376)
I think I've become a bit more cautious in my buying, too, so yeah that's possibly why fewer 'Flesh For The Beast's and 'Goat-man Murder's are turning up for me. There's a vast ocean of modern vid-cam trash on Amazon Prime, and that's where all the goods will be, but I can't be arsed to make any headway with it. MTDS looks into that kind of thing quite often still. I think that maybe, having done this for quite a while, I'm getting a bit tired and expect to be entertained without any effort. This has meant that my choices have become more mainstream in a way, which I'm not proud of.

I do feel slightly redeemed as my first Venezuelan horror film dropped through the letterbox this morning.

La casa del fin de los tiempos (2013) - IMDb

Frankie Teardrop 31st July 2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 544377)
I do feel slightly redeemed as my first Venezuelan horror film dropped through the letterbox this morning.

La casa del fin de los tiempos (2013) - IMDb

Heard some good things about that one. Was going to get it, but didn't, for whatever reason. Let us know your thoughts after you see it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st July 2017 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Vittra (2012)

Vittra must be Swedish for Evil Dead because that's what this film is. A knock off of the Evil Dead remake that came out, er' a year later.

Basically if you like 2013's Evil Dead then i think you'll love this intense and gory rehash.