Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Justin101 28th July 2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 544068)
Manhattan Baby.
All I will say this time is this ....

If you are watching this and what draws your eye is the decor in the apartment
You aint watching it properly
:lol:

I got really stressed out that the aupair just dropped the polaroid on the floor because it was faulty - like more than I should have done :lol:

Demoncrat 28th July 2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 544069)
I got really stressed out that the aupair just dropped the polaroid on the floor because it was faulty - like more than I should have done :lol:

Well
She pays a heavy price for littering
So there is that ;)

gag 29th July 2017 08:20 AM

They released the tv 3 part documentary of Dunkirk with benedict cumberbatch onto DVD , saw it yesterday while in Asda , I'm pretty sure it was Arrow that released it

J Harker 29th July 2017 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 544084)
They released the tv 3 part documentary of Dunkirk with benedict cumberbatch onto DVD , saw it yesterday while in Asda , I'm pretty sure it was Arrow that released it

You seen it gag?

gag 29th July 2017 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 544085)
You seen it gag?

No, only saw it for sale yesterday by of chance while browsing but if anyone else has would like their thought on it .

Demoncrat 29th July 2017 10:21 AM

saw the Johnny Mills film in Tesco ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th July 2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 544085)
You seen it gag?

I got it earlier in the week for £7 from Asda.

Thought i'd watch one episode tonight and two tomorrow.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th July 2017 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Can I Keep It Up for a Week? (1974)

Can You Keep it up for a Week?

For sexy Sue Longhurst, i'd certainly try!

trebor8273 29th July 2017 07:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyUqIuwOEzI

8/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NT4C1F_HZE

8/10

Now watching Life.

J Harker 29th July 2017 08:17 PM

Good call Treb. I haven't seen any of the Police Academy films in yonks, the first is easily the best but i used to love them all even the supremely silly Miami and Moscow instalments. I will have to pick the boxset up sometime.

trebor8273 29th July 2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 544168)
Good call Treb. I haven't seen any of the Police Academy films in yonks, the first is easily the best but i used to love them all even the supremely silly Miami and Moscow instalments. I will have to pick the boxset up sometime.

The quality dropped dramatically when Steve Guttenberg left but the others are still fun.

Demoncrat 29th July 2017 08:57 PM

The Black Cat (1981, Lucio Fulci)

Hello. I may have never really been 'me' here tbh. You'll get a whiff tonight as I received some stimulus tonight ... outside miner and all that :drool:
David Warbeck & Patrick Magee stumble around in an miasma of Poe and Lovecraft and FULCI. Artist. Van Gogh was a cnut ahem.

Bit pissed btw :lol:

trebor8273 29th July 2017 09:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aailc2X3u88

Not hard to see why it was compared to alien and gravity. On the international space station a group of scientist and astronauts study a life form brought back from mars by a probe. Its not long before we find the lifeform is unlike any other knowing life form and is intelligent and its not long before it escapes and the crew are fighting to stay alive and stop the creature which is evolving at an alarming rate from getting to earth. With the setting of the space station its very tense and claustrophobic film. 7.7/10

Now watching Wayne's World.

J Harker 29th July 2017 09:56 PM

Martin. George A.Romero. 1978.

Given Romero's recent passing i thought it was time i reappraised this one. Its been about 12 years since i last watched it and i found it rather dull then.
Most will be familiar but the basic plot goes like this Martin has the appearance of a young man, yet he believes himself to an 84 year old vampire. He arrives in a small rundown Pittsburgh town to live with his highly superstitious, possibly equally mad Uncle Tata Cuda. Oddly Cuda clearly believes Martin is indeed a vampire, he refers to him as Nosferatu and warns him that he will save his soul and then destroy him.
He also tells him that he is free to come and go but that if he kills anyone in the town he will destroy him without question or any chance of salvation.
Thats pretty much it. Although it is worth mentioning, and i don't consider this a spoiler, that Martin isn't your conventional bloodsucker. He sedates his victims via syringes and draws blood with razor blades rather than fangs.
I still think Martin is a somewhat slow clunky film. Though i did find more to appreciate this time round. The score for one is in places eerily gothic in contrast to the industrial wasteland the film seems to take place in. I hadn't really considered before the implications of Cuda's belief in Martins claim, not to mention the faith he has in the whole mythology of fighting vamps with crucifixes and garlic. Add to that the b&w sequences and i suppose to begs the obvious question, is there any truth to it all. The film at least to my interpretation remains ambiguous but i certainly left more to the viewers discernment this time round. Also of merit are the performances. Typical of Romeros films (for me at least) none of the characters are particularly likeable or endearing but that doesn't mean they aren't played very well, particularly John Amplas as Martin who really does look as if he could be an aging vampire in a young body. Lincoln Maazel too plays Cuda very straight, balancing the character between madness and devout integrity.
Romero himself turns up as a local priest and actually comes across as a decent actor.
The problems with Martin are that its a little too inconsistent for my liking. Why has Martin not been caught? He's a bit sloppy. Doesn't seem to have ever heard of fingerprints. Also why do his victims take so long to go to sleep? Should he not be upping the dose? The other characters he has to bounce off such as Cuda's daughter Christina and local housewife Mrs.Santini a lonely lady whom Martin does oddjobs for, are well played but lack any real charisma making Martins interactions feel a little lacking in depth.
I only have the older original Arrow dvd containing a single cut of the movie presented in 4:3. I'd be interested to know what the later 2 disc edition contains.
Anyway I'm rambling a bit. Martin, not a bad film. Nowhere near as good as Romeros debut or the rest of the original dead trilogy but far far better than The Crazies.

Demoncrat 29th July 2017 09:59 PM

Liked Life and made me less angry in hindsight than Alien Covenant ;)

Demoncrat 29th July 2017 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 544183)
Martin. George A.Romero. 1978.

Given Romero's recent passing i thought it was time i reappraised this one. Its been about 12 years since i last watched it and i found it rather dull then.
Most will be familiar but the basic plot goes like this Martin has the appearance of a young man, yet he believes himself to an 84 year old vampire. He arrives in a small rundown Pittsburgh town to live with his highly superstitious, possibly equally mad Uncle Tata Cuda. Oddly Cuda clearly believes Martin is indeed a vampire, he refers to him as Nosferatu and warns him that he will save his soul and then destroy him.
He also tells him that he is free to come and go but that if he kills anyone in the town he will destroy him without question or any chance of salvation.
Thats pretty much it. Although it is worth mentioning, and i don't consider this a spoiler, that Martin isn't your conventional bloodsucker. He sedates his victims via syringes and draws blood with razor blades rather than fangs.
I still think Martin is a somewhat slow clunky film. Though i did find more to appreciate this time round. The score for one is in places eerily gothic in contrast to the industrial wasteland the film seems to take place in. I hadn't really considered before the implications of Cuda's belief in Martins claim, not to mention the faith he has in the whole mythology of fighting vamps with crucifixes and garlic. Add to that the b&w sequences and i suppose to begs the obvious question, is there any truth to it all. The film at least to my interpretation remains ambiguous but i certainly left more to the viewers discernment this time round. Also of merit are the performances. Typical of Romeros films (for me at least) none of the characters are particularly likeable or endearing but that doesn't mean they aren't played very well, particularly John Amplas as Martin who really does look as if he could be an aging vampire in a young body. Lincoln Maazel too plays Cuda very straight, balancing the character between madness and devout integrity.
Romero himself turns up as a local priest and actually comes across as a decent actor.
The problems with Martin are that its a little too inconsistent for my liking. Why has Martin not been caught? He's a bit sloppy. Doesn't seem to have ever heard of fingerprints. Also why do his victims take so long to go to sleep? Should he not be upping the dose? The other characters he has to bounce off such as Cuda's daughter Christina and local housewife Mrs.Santini a lonely lady whom Martin does oddjobs for, are well played but lack any real charisma making Martins interactions feel a little lacking in depth.
I only have the older original Arrow dvd containing a single cut of the movie presented in 4:3. I'd be interested to know what the later 2 disc edition contains.
Anyway I'm rambling a bit. Martin, not a bad film. Nowhere near as good as Romeros debut or the rest of the original dead trilogy but far far better than The Crazies.

Oi!!! :lol:

I find that the uneasiness of tone is what makes (emphasis) both TC & Martin imhsto. In context with concurrent Waters productions, they paint a vulgar picture of a broken America indeed (YES ... The Slayer as well :nod:)

I digress ....

Kudos

Great reappraisal ...

J Harker 29th July 2017 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 544185)
Oi!!! [emoji38]

I find that the uneasiness of tone is what makes (emphasis) both TC & Martin imhsto. In context with concurrent Waters productions, they paint a vulgar picture of a broken America indeed (YES ... The Slayer as well :nod:)

I digress ....

Kudos

Great reappraisal ...

You're an odd fella Demoncrat. But thankyou.

Make Them Die Slowly 29th July 2017 10:17 PM

AĹL THE COLOURS OF THE DARK

A white face Michael Jackson lookalike played by Edwige Fenech whimpers around London in the early 70s...

This starts out in blinding fashion with cheap looking pop art surrealism a go go before turning into a turgid and dull thriller with embarrassing Black Masses, and enough stairs and lifts to keep psychoanalytic film critics going for years.

Giallo truly is the hipster's beard of genre. I can't for the life of me figure out how I used to rate it so highly.

Demoncrat 29th July 2017 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 544187)
AĹL THE COLOURS OF THE DARK

A white face Michael Jackson lookalike played by Edwige Fenech whimpers around London in the early 70s...

This starts out in blinding fashion with cheap looking pop art surrealism a go go before turning into a turgid and dull thriller with embarrassing Black Masses, and enough stairs and lifts to keep psychoanalytic film critics going for years.

Giallo truly is the hipster's beard of genre. I can't for the life of me figure out how I used to rate it so highly.

No no no
The impact of the opening sends you reeling ... jigsaw feeeling ;)....so you spend the rest of it resusitating your own sense of reality ....
That's what happened the last time I scrutinised this. Look forward to getting my greasless mitts on this blu ;);)

nosferatu42 29th July 2017 10:31 PM

I saw it a couple of months back for the first time and really enjoyed 'Colours', i was pretty drunk at the time and it didn't make a lot of sense storywise but really enjoyed the atmosphere and images on display.:pop2:

Make Them Die Slowly 29th July 2017 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 544188)
No no no
The impact of the opening sends you reeling ... jigsaw feeeling ;)....so you spend the rest of it resusitating your own sense of reality ....
That's what happened the last time I scrutinised this. Look forward to getting my greasless mitts on this blu ;);)

90 minutes of Edwige whimpering is too much reality for me.

Make Them Die Slowly 29th July 2017 10:42 PM

TAKEN 2 and 3

Liam Neeson staggers around like an arthritic cow about to give birth in a couple of bloodless follow ups to the rather good original film.

I enjoyed the first film as Neeson's age added to the character but here it very much detracts as he looks knackered carrying the weight of his own clothing.

Demoncrat 29th July 2017 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 544189)
I saw it a couple of months back for the first time and really enjoyed 'Colours', i was pretty drunk at the time and it didn't make a lot of sense storywise but really enjoyed the atmosphere and images on display.:pop2:

Exactly.
Miasma and morass are very easily confused ;)

Film. :nod:
In the sense of cinematic phantasmagoria that is ;);)

Demoncrat 29th July 2017 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 544194)
TAKEN 2 and 3

Liam Neeson staggers around like an arthritic cow about to give birth in a couple of bloodless follow ups to the rather good original film.

I enjoyed the first film as Neeson's age added to the character but here it very much detracts as he looks knackered carrying the weight of his own clothing.

:laugh::hail:

Kudos.

Very apt reviews of both.
Carpe Diem and all that ;)

J Harker 29th July 2017 10:53 PM

Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children. Tim Burton. 2016.

When Florida teen Jacob's supposedly barmy grandfather Abe dies under (highly) mysterious circumstances he leaves behind a series of clues leading Jacob to set off for a remote island off the coast of Wales in search of the orphanage Abe was raised at. Only he arrives to find a derelict bombshell of a building and more mystery.
I wanted to say this is the best film Burton has knocked out in a while but to be fair double checking his filmography he hasn't really done anything i didn't like. Big Eyes was quite weak i thought but was still watchable and prior to that was Dark Shadows which i loved.
I think its more that he just slowed down some.
I've no idea how idea how this film compares to the source novel but i really enjoyed it. Its perfect Tim Burton material,a kind of Burtonised version of X Men with the in no way attractive Eva Green taking on the Professor Xavier role.
The cast of kids is impressive too in that there isn't a single irritating little bugger. I want to praise the level of imagination on show but to be fair for all i know it could be entirely down to Ransom Riggs the author of the novel.
Very dark and somewhat creepy in places Miss Peregrine is well worth a watch and almost essential for Burton fans.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th July 2017 10:55 PM

Hands up if anyone has any idea what Demoncrat is on about tonight?

Make Them Die Slowly 29th July 2017 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 544197)

When Florida teen Jacob's supposedly barmy grandfather Abe dies under (highly) mysterious circumstances he leaves behind a series of clues leading Jacob to set off for a remote island off the coast of Wales in search of the orphanage Abe was raised at. Only he arrives to find a derelict bombshell of a building and more mystery.
I wanted to say this is the best film Burton has knocked out in a while but to be fair double checking his filmography he hasn't really done anything i didn't like. Big Eyes was quite weak i thought but was still watchable and prior to that was Dark Shadows which i loved.
I've no idea how idea how this film compares to the source novel but i really enjoyed it. Its perfect Tim Burton material,a kind of Burtonised version of X Men with the in no way attractive Eva Green taking on the Professor Xavier role.
The cast of kids is impressive too in that there isn't a single irritating little bugger. I want to praise the level of imagination on show but to be fair for all i know it could be entirely down to Ransom Riggs the author of the novel.
Very dark and somewhat creepy in places Miss Peregrine is well worth a watch and almost essential for Burton fans.

Haha! I was just about to post that this was bollocks along with everything else I have seen this last week.

Make Them Die Slowly 29th July 2017 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 544198)

He's the new gag.

J Harker 29th July 2017 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 544198)

I suspect he's pissed. Or stoned. Or both.

J Harker 29th July 2017 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 544200)
He's the new gag.

That's harsh. At least i'm interested in what Demoncrats on about.

Demoncrat 29th July 2017 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 544200)
He's the new gag.

Or just 40 years of pop culture jammed in my cranium

;);)

Night all

Dougal And The Blue Cat tis .... :lol:

Demoncrat 29th July 2017 11:37 PM

Still Buzzcocking

AAWIL Comm (with subtitles :lol:)

A-hem.

J Harker 29th July 2017 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 544205)
Still Buzzcocking

AAWIL Comm (with subtitles [emoji38])

A-hem.

Nah, what the feck you talkin about man??

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th July 2017 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 544197)

We are on the same wavelength with this film. :nod:

Sadly you fail to mention Blackpool though.

nosferatu42 29th July 2017 11:46 PM

Listening to the Buzzcocks:cool: and American Werewolf commentary maybe??

Demoncrat 29th July 2017 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 544208)
Listening to the Buzzcocks:cool: and American Werewolf commentary maybe??

Good man. Nice to see tis not all in vein ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th July 2017 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 544211)
Good man. Nice to see tis not all in vein ;)

Course not... nos will be arseholed as well!

J Harker 29th July 2017 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 544207)
We are on the same wavelength with this film. :nod:

Sadly you fail to mention Blackpool though.

Thats cos I'm crap at reviews. However the rather splendid Harryhausan/Jason and the Argonauts inspired finale on Blackpool pier was both surreal and gorgeously played out. The scene where Enoch first demonstrates his peculiarity was brilliant too. Reminded me of Stuart Gordon's Dolls meshed with Toy Story.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th July 2017 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 544213)
Thats cos I'm crap at reviews.

Wrong again i'm afraid.

I like reading your reviews.

nosferatu42 29th July 2017 11:59 PM

Only moderately to be sure.:nod:

But having said that i do struggle with abbreviations normally.;)

And inebriations too.:lol: