Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th November 2009 10:02 PM

Frankenstein and The Wolf Man for me.They still rated 15?

vincenzo 16th November 2009 10:09 PM

Both PG-rated now. Interestingly both were 'A' rated back in the 30's too though Frankie had a few minor snips.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th November 2009 10:11 PM

Baffling,as you said Vince,as to why THE MUMMY is a 15.....:confused:

vincenzo 16th November 2009 10:16 PM

The Black Cat and The Raven are also 15-rated today. Murders In The Rue Morgue is a 12.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th November 2009 10:18 PM

Anyone seen MANHUNT or THE HILLS RUN RED?
I'm gonna give one of those a whirl shortly....

Gojirosan 16th November 2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 48641)
THE HILLS RUN RED

Yeah, this is on BT Vision at the moment and I am wondering if it's worth a rental.

Kyle 17th November 2009 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 48641)
Anyone seen MANHUNT or THE HILLS RUN RED?
I'm gonna give one of those a whirl shortly....

ive seen both, mahunt is a great film and hills run red is quite good too. manhunt is the best out of the two

Kyle 17th November 2009 12:23 AM

just watched rogue 7/10

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...11_1081400.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6QSy4ZBwKg

Gigantor 17th November 2009 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitchslicer (Post 48547)
i loved it, its acting is a bit naff and the croc looks a bit naff too but its a very fun film defo worth owning i think

where did you get it? and how much was it? ive been trying to find a copy of both to buy and no luck

DAMN YOU for saying any harsh words about the CRoc in this movie.As it may not be top notch its 100% CGI free
I will take clunky and plastic over CGI any day of the week.

I also enjoyed ROGUE right up until the ending.I HATED the ending It almost ruins the movie.

Gigantor 17th November 2009 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 48580)
"Memories Of Murder " is one of the Korean films that really got me hooked on the films from that country. I have to agree that the quality of Korean films has certainly improved over the past decade. The thrillers in particular are hard hitting and completely engrossing.

Yes Korea films have gotten alot better recently .alot of the older Korean films weren't that great in my opinion.One thing I have noticed with Korean movies is the ones I like I tend to really like.

Kyle 17th November 2009 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 48699)
DAMN YOU for saying any harsh words about the CRoc in this movie.As it may not be top notch its 100% CGI free
I will clunky and plastic over CGI any day of the week.

I also enjoyed ROGUE right up until the ending.I HATED the ending It almost ruins the movie.

yep the ending was ridiculous

:behindsofa: with the killer croc it did look naff but i defo prefered it to the one in rogue beacuse of the CGI , like you said anything over CGI

mark meakin 17th November 2009 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 48611)
I can't understand the '15' either.
I assume it's actually for the extras. But I can't see anything there either!
Actually "The Invisible Man" is more violent and generally nasty and that only gets a '12'.

Re: "Don't go in the House". Sadly the newer anamorphic DVD cuts off much of the full frontal nudity during that sequence.
But is is intact on the older, cheaper, full screen DVD.

I thought the '15' was for the extras on The Mummy too,I recall reading somewhere.Probably the Gods & Monsters footage,but I don't recall seeing footage worthy of a higher classification.

Gigantor 17th November 2009 07:45 AM

Probably had a rating for whatever reason back in the day and no one bothered to/cared about changing it .Then again maybe its slapped on there to make it sound more "appealing" than it is.

mark meakin 17th November 2009 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitchslicer (Post 48707)
yep the ending was ridiculous

:behindsofa: with the killer croc it did look naff but i defo prefered it to the one in rogue beacuse of the CGI , like you said anything over CGI

There's been some damn good 'Croc' films lately.I'd also recommend BLACK WATER & PRIMEVAL.BW is the best of the bunch,but Primeval was far better than I expected & pretty gory.

mark meakin 17th November 2009 07:53 AM

The Free To Air satelite channel FILM 24 also has some interesting offerings:-
IMAGES (Robert Altman)
HOLLYWOOD GHOST STORIES (Narrated by John Carradine.I had the Warner video of this,so I'll tape it when it's on again next week)
NUDE FOR SATAN (Though in the BBFC approved version)
THE NAKED FACE (Bryan Forbes thriller starring Roger Moore)
GORGO (I thought their W/S print was better than the VCI dvd release.)
They are also screening the old kids series THE FLOCKTON FLYER with Peter Duncan & THE CAPONE INVESTMENT starring John Thaw.On Friday it's that the entertaining Jimmy Sangster scripted horror BLOOD OF THE VAMPIRE (1958) starring Barbara Shelley.(7.40 PM I think)

Gigantor 17th November 2009 07:54 AM

There has has been a ton of Crocodile/Alligator movies come out over the past couple years.BLACK WATER was decent and I look forward to seeing the directors next film THE REEF .Also I can't wait for DARK AGE to come out on DVD.Has anyone seen that film?

mark meakin 17th November 2009 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 48716)
Probably had a rating for whatever reason back in the day and no one bothered to/cared about changing it .Then again maybe its slapped on there to make it sound more "appealing" than it is.

If Universal did not bother resubmitting it for the dvd then that would explain why it's still a '15'.The audio commentary however was given a PG:-

mark meakin 17th November 2009 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 48719)
There has has been a ton of Crocodile/Alligator movies come out over the past couple years.BLACK WATER was decent and I look forward to seeing the directors next film THE REEF .Also I can't wait for DARK AGE to come out on DVD.Has anyone seen that film?

I saw DARK AGE years ago on video,but I don't remember much about it.If you've not seen Primeval,it's worth a look & has a decent cast including the always reliable Jurgen Prochnow.John Jarrat who was also of course in ROGUE (As well as WOLF CREEK) is also in DARK AGE.

Gigantor 17th November 2009 08:11 AM

HA I saw DARK AGE on VHS way back in the day .It as on the shelf with GREAT WHITE DEATH and TIGERSHARK.GWD had the most misleading cover and TIGERSHARK had a shoddy half ass black and blue cover.I wish I knew what happened to the GWD and DARK AGE tapes?

broonage 17th November 2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitchslicer (Post 48547)
i loved it, its acting is a bit naff and the croc looks a bit naff too but its a very fun film defo worth owning i think

where did you get it? and how much was it? ive been trying to find a copy of both to buy and no luck

Ordered it from a seller on ebay France. It's the Neo package, think it was €5.

Philleh 17th November 2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponga (Post 48540)
Memories of Murder

This movie directed by Bong-Joon-Ho and for my opinion it's
one of the best Asia film of all time! Before I see I know it's
good movie...but after I've finished it...this movie better than
my expected.:woot:

Present day I think Korean filmmakers are the best in Asia.They combine mainstream-film with art-film together and that make it's original!

Highly recommend! :popcorn:

Ponga, high-five! I think this is one of the finest movies made, wordwide, this millennium!

mark meakin 17th November 2009 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 48725)
HA I saw DARK AGE on VHS way back in the day .It as on the shelf with GREAT WHITE DEATH and TIGERSHARK.GWD had the most misleading cover and TIGERSHARK had a shoddy half ass black and blue cover.I wish I knew what happened to the GWD and DARK AGE tapes?

Yes I can remember Tigershark if it's the one starring Mike Stone who should've been the lead in Enter The Ninja originally.

Gigantor 17th November 2009 08:33 AM

Like I said saw TIGERSHARK on VHS back in the day and then later on DVD and yowza what a difference!:shocked:

Angel 17th November 2009 11:29 AM

I asked the BBFC sometime ago why the Mummy was rated 15 in 2002. This is what they said:

The version that was submitted in 2002 was identical to the previous video version so we weren't allowed to downrate it (a film has to be somehow different in terms of content or ratio - to allow a down rating). As for the PG on the audio commentary, that was probably a mistake before we introduced our current policy of not allowing commentaries to go out at lower categories than features. As to why it was rated 15 (1989)- there was no 12 at the time and it was considered too scary for PG.

42ndStreetFreak 17th November 2009 11:32 AM

Interesting Angel. Shows just what a farce the whole BBFC set-up is.

"The Wolf Man" - (1941)
http://www.beardyfreak.com/rvwolfman.php

With the very groovy looking (and actually valid) re-make coming up I took another look at the 'Universal' original.

Thanks to the truly superb scripting and then revolutionary folklore creation by Curt Siodmak The Wolf Man has in fact become the most culturally influential of all Universal's monsters.

Lon Chaney he does everything that needs doing as far as essaying a likeable character caught in a web of tragedy.
But his general hulking physicality and distinctive drawl do not remotely work as far as him being a credible, (estranged or not) son of the slight, very English, very sophisticated, Claude Rains.
As The Wolf Man though, Chaney does a wonderful job and his bulk and physicality are a bonus here.

Claude Rains yet again does a wonderful job as the intelligent, caring, grounded father.
And the unforgettable Maria Ouspenskaya helps to create one of Universal's most iconic non-monster characters as the wise but mysterious foreteller of doom.

For all it's classic status I have to say though that the design of The Wolf Man is for me the least successful of make-up legend Jack Pierce's creations.
The dog snout nose and rather comical bouffant hairdo that the Werewolf sports have dated badly and take away some of the viciousness of the creature, despite the effective looking fangs.

A few logic holes in the plot, but basically thanks to the otherwise effective screenplay, wonderful monster lore, good support characters, wonderfully atmospheric sets and cinematography, tight direction and genuinely effective and tragic lead character, "The Wolf Man" manages to retain much of its classic status historically speaking, and also manages to be an enjoyable fright film in its own right.

I'd still put this behind "Dracula", "Frankenstein", "Son of Frankenstein" and especially "The Invisible Man", but The Wolf Man manages a very respectable placing in Universal's classic monster canon.

vincenzo 17th November 2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 48764)
The version that was submitted in 2002 was identical to the previous video version so we weren't allowed to downrate it (a film has to be somehow different in terms of content or ratio - to allow a down rating). As for the PG on the audio commentary, that was probably a mistake before we introduced our current policy of not allowing commentaries to go out at lower categories than features. As to why it was rated 15 (1989)- there was no 12 at the time and it was considered too scary for PG.

Strange explanation. To be honest I don't think it should have been rated 15 in the first place. It was only an uncut 'A' when it first appeared back in 1933.

How do you rate Bride Of Frankenstein, 42nd?

Gojirosan 17th November 2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 48768)
How do you rate Bride Of Frankenstein, 42nd?

I was just going to ask that! Beat me to it! :lol:

42ndStreetFreak 17th November 2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 48769)
I was just going to ask that! Beat me to it! :lol:

Hmm.....Not sure.
I'll have to watch it again (I'm slowly going through some of the 'Universal' films), but as far as I remember I disliked the campy/parody aspect and thought that utterly stupid 'people in jars' sequence was a turkey.

But I have to admit I can't fairly judge it until I pop my peepers over it again.

vincenzo 17th November 2009 11:58 AM

Many regard it as the be-all and end-all classic of the Universal years, but watching it again recently I find it pales in comparison with the original Frankenstein (and many other Universal films to be honest). The last 15 mins are brilliant but the humour descends into pure daftness and seems completely out of place. The air of menace from the first film is totally missing and even the murder of Hans during the monster's revivial, which should have been a powerful moment, is completely invalidated by the appearance of the incredibly irritating Una O'Connor.

Herecy I know but still...... :ohwell:

Gojirosan 17th November 2009 12:02 PM

I'm all about The Old Dark House. A superb film. Ernest Thesiger has me in hysterics every time I see it!

I wish I knew what 1932 American audiences made of Charles Laughton's accent!

:lol:

42ndStreetFreak 17th November 2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 48773)
Many regard it as the be-all and end-all classic of the Universal years, but watching it again recently I find it pales in comparison with the original Frankenstein (and many other Universal films to be honest). The last 15 mins are brilliant but the humour descends into pure daftness and seems completely out of place. The air of menace from the first film is totally missing and even the murder of Hans during the monster's revivial, which should have been a powerful moment, is completely invalidated by the appearance of the incredibly irritating Una O'Connor.

Oh yes, I agree. It was the one always held up as not only the best 'Universal' horror, but one of the best horror films full stop.
Never agreed.
But I also tend to disagree about what most people call the best 'Hammer' films too.

I have to say I have a soft spot for good old Una!
But yes...serious drama she does not add.

I'll have a double bill of the first 2 ASAP and get some thoughts down.

mark meakin 17th November 2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 48773)

The missing footage does not help,but I agree the first is the best.I also like Son Of Frankenstein which has one of Bela Lugosi's best performances.Of all the Universal classics of the 1930s I think James Whale's INVISIBLE MAN is the best.The humour works better here than in the later Bride.

Kyle 17th November 2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broonage (Post 48730)
Ordered it from a seller on ebay France. It's the Neo package, think it was €5.

thanx mate , i will be ordering it from them soon i think

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th November 2009 08:05 PM

MANHUNT
Brutal,violent,gory.
Seek it out now.:laugh:

mbv 18th November 2009 09:26 AM

Cannibal women in the Avocado jungle of death

Oh dear, had to sky+ this when I saw the title but such a waste of my time, its a comedy but not very funny at all.

Have XTRO 2, Dust Devil, Outpost and Flesh for Frankenstein 3D to watch so they should ease my pain

Philleh 18th November 2009 11:48 AM

I watched The Signal last night. It's a great little film that could have been a modern cult-classic hadn't the second part of the film been such an oddity!

Still recommended though.

Vampix 18th November 2009 01:10 PM

Watched Night of the Creeps last night and, to be honest, it wasn't quite as good as I remembered it, still glad to have it though.Also, I couldn't help noticing one of the police patrolmen who nearly has his head sliced off by the axe-wielding zombie in Creeps was none other than Robert Kerman (aka Professor Harold Monroe of Cannibal Holocaust). :cool:

vincenzo 18th November 2009 01:19 PM

Kerman also turned up as the NY harbour tugboat captain in the first Spider Man.

broonage 18th November 2009 02:07 PM

I watched Creeps recently too. I enjoyed it, the bonus stuff is fun too.

I watched Season of the Witch last night.

Halloween_22 18th November 2009 09:36 PM

Saw Harry Brown last night, absolutely stunning film! Bleak, dark, depressing, controversial and extremely violent. One of the best films to come out in a long time, Michael Caine's performance is absolutely superb :cool: