Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 13th February 2022 10:08 AM

Nazty Nuisance (1943, Glenn Tryon)

A Hal Roach production.
Adolf and his chums Benito and Suki Yaki :nod::lol::rolleyes: try and negotiate a treaty. As ribtickling as it sounds :pound:
Apparently a sequel!!
The Yanks put a spanner in their plans and it all ends with some slapstick. :behindsofa:

Dave Boy 13th February 2022 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 239051
THE FRENCH CONNECTION (1971)

Based on a true story. New York cops Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider are on the trail to intercept a drug shipment that is coming from France. It becomes a cat and mouse chase as they try to hunt down the boss..
Great movie. Hard hitting and gritty. Brooklyn sure does look like a s**thole in the 1970s. The movie is best known for it's car chase, as Hackman chases a gunman in a subway car under the Brooklyn subway bridges.

Demoncrat 13th February 2022 04:53 PM

The Ambassador (1984, J Lee Thompson)

Cannon.
Robert Mitchum? Fabio Testi?? Ellen Burstyn??? Rock Hudson?????
Bob is the US attache to Israel. He has a dream. If only they could put aside their differences etc.
A fantasy. Was nice to see Rock playing a tougher role for all that. Just at the point where you're thinking "This isn't that Cannon a flick ...", out comes the Cannonest sequence of all :nod::lol:
Ahem.

MrBarlow 13th February 2022 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Supergirl. 1984

Helen Slater In her first feature film role as Kara-El from Argo City who comes to Earth to find a orb that may help save her kingdom and does battle with a witch Faye Dunaway. Peter Cook joins the cast as a high school teacher and warlock who wants to co-rule the world and fails, he does bring some of his humour with sarcasm but isn't really bringing his full comedy. Peter O'Toole plays the founder of Argo who seems to start off straight faced and next time we see him he looks drunk as a skunk.

I never read any of the comics and do wonder if Supergirl battled a witch and how did Selina know about the Phantom Zone? Back in the day the effects were probably decently done and seem daft nowadays but they are more believable than the CGI we get. Originally through people talking about this film the story was to take a different turn with brainiac if Christopher Reeve was to make a appearance but we do see a picture of him as the Man Of Steel. Still helps to pass some time away.

Attachment 239058

MrBarlow 13th February 2022 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alien 2: On Earth. 1980.

I must be loosing my mind or somewhere blinked and miss part of this film, is it ever explained how some people knew when to look in some caves. Alien takes place on a ship in space, this knock off takes place on Earth and may have inspired other movies of a fallen space ship crash landing on Earth and all hell breaks loose as usual. I know what I was getting into with this film but didn't realise they be one or two plot holes, dubbing well and trully out of sync and cheap effects, looks like I have found another guilty pleasure added to the list.

Attachment 239059

MrBarlow 13th February 2022 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Final Exam. 1981.

A killer on a school campus murders the jocks and co-eds.

A guy that looks normal goes on a killing spree without a mask and uses a knife that Norman bates and Michael Myers would be proud of, they really should endorse the 12" kitchen knife or at least have their names on it. Why does the killer attack the teens at this school, it's like what was life like for a Roman in 1200 AD...No F@?king Idea! They play pranks on the police that when the shit hits the fan they get ignored, karma. The acting is typical 80s, guys running about and girls screaming and declaring their love, the tense moments are played out well, worth another watch at some point.

Attachment 239060

nicholasrope 13th February 2022 10:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Running Man

Classic Arnold Scwarzenegger Film in which he is framed by a dystopian government and has to take part in a game, where he his hunted by killers. This Film is awesome, full of classic one-liners. Scwarzenegger at his best.

Gifted

Chris Evans looks after his highly intelligent Niece but has to deal with his Mother who wants custody. I really enjoyed this, it's full of great performances but I did think that there is a plot hole where an agreement could have been put in place at the start of the Court Date. Basically what happened in the final couple of scenes.

Dave Boy 14th February 2022 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 239071
DUNE (2021)

Well, I thought that was bloody good! So much so, I'm looking forward to part 2 whenever that is coming.
I was totally engrossed in it, but you have to be to follow what is going on with all the house names etc..
The effects and visuals are really good but of course this movie is heavy CGI for 2.5 hours.

Justin101 14th February 2022 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 666947)
Attachment 239071
DUNE (2021)

Well, I thought that was bloody good! So much so, I'm looking forward to part 2 whenever that is coming.
I was totally engrossed in it, but you have to be to follow what is going on with all the house names etc..
The effects and visuals are really good but of course this movie is heavy CGI for 2.5 hours.

I’m glad I have at least 1 Dune ally!!

trebor8273 14th February 2022 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 666948)
I’m glad I have at least 1 Dune ally!!

Two I really enjoyed it and can't wait for part 2.