Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Delirium 1st September 2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 362785)
Great review Delirium. You should join in with the monthly Review Club (as should anyone else who is interested).

Oh, thanks. Appreciate it.

Buboven 1st September 2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 362662)
There is Monster Squad graffiti in the toilet in NOTC and one of Tom Atkin's first scenes uses slightly reworded dialogue from MS. Have you seen Dekker's TEEN AGENT recently? I wonder how that holds up these days.

Never heard of TEEN AGENT. Need to check it out. Thx for the heads up.

Buboven 1st September 2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Radley (Post 362691)
The Orphan Killer.

A Matt Farnsworth film. I was surprised by this low budget slasher in that it is far more competent than I hoped. The story is basic, brother and sister are orphaned after their parents are murdered. Sister is adopted, brother beats another kids head in with a bat and is forced to wear a mask and endure many years of torture from the nuns. Then he gets an axe and becomes Marcus Miller, The Orphan Killer.
The film is carried by the female lead (Diane Foster) and I was mightily impressed with her efforts (and her bum!) all the way through. The blood flows thick and fast as Marcus throws that axe about with some mean intent!
I believe Matt wants to make a new franchise with this character.. best of luck to him.

THE ORPHAN KILLER Official Trailer [HD] - YouTube

Edit; German Blu/DVD Mediabook available from D&T, Official Orphan Killer site sold out of Blu's but have DVD's.

My god I thought this film was AWFULL. Couldn't get past the first 30 minutes with the overlong and boring opening shots of the car and the very annoying scream metal music that went with the kills. I could immediately tell this was gonna be a meaningless and very amateurish gorefest.

Make Them Die Slowly 1st September 2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buboven (Post 362799)
Never heard of TEEN AGENT. Need to check it out. Thx for the heads up.

Just checked up on it, Dekker wrote the script but didn't direct as I thought.

PaulD 1st September 2013 04:16 PM

Really tiring day at work so settling down on the sofa to watch The Initiation on Netflix :pop2:

nekromantik 1st September 2013 04:20 PM

Just watched Jurassic Park 3D.
Very good conversion done by Stereo D, same company that did Titanic.
Excellent 3D shots include the TRex attacking the Jeep and Raptors in the kitchen!

I bought the blu ray from Australia for only £14!

J Harker 1st September 2013 05:09 PM

I watched Michael Manns The Keep last night after recording from film4 a few weeks ago.
Not sure what to make of it. Clearly it's a film that had a lot of tampering, it seemed quite incoherent in parts with it's style wandering from subtle eerie imagery to full on creature feature. While I appreciate it isn't it felt quite Lovecraftian as well. The first half hour is the best part of the film before it started to fall apart. That said I'd love to see a revised directors cut or even just the rumoured 4 hour (someone correct me if that's wrong, I'm going from memory here) version that Mann originally filmed.

Invid Ninja 1st September 2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 362820)
I watched Michael Manns The Keep last night after recording from film4 a few weeks ago.
Not sure what to make of it. Clearly it's a film that had a lot of tampering, it seemed quite incoherent in parts with it's style wandering from subtle eerie imagery to full on creature feature. While I appreciate it isn't it felt quite Lovecraftian as well. The first half hour is the best part of the film before it started to fall apart. That said I'd love to see a revised directors cut or even just the rumoured 4 hour (someone correct me if that's wrong, I'm going from memory here) version that Mann originally filmed.

From what I gather, noone quite knows the full extent of Mann's original cut of The Keep as sources do range between the 150 minute to 210 minute mark. Glad more people are giving the film a look at least. Even in a truncated form, I still consider The Keep one of the single most atmospheric films I've ever seen. :popcorn:

troggi 1st September 2013 05:54 PM

"The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh" (2012)

The star of the film was the house. Other than that I don't know. I couldn't understand what kind of film it wanted to be and had problems with choosing a ghost theme, a mental theme or a religious theme. Only 6/10 I'm afraid because all through the film it wanted to say more to me and I wanted it to say more but in the end it failed us both miserably!

"Zombie Flesh Eaters" (1979)

:clap:

19.9/10 because I can!

trebor8273 1st September 2013 06:28 PM

Tales from the crypt

One of my favourite anthology films, poetic justice is still my favourite. Only thing i dont understand why is the crypt keeper from the tv series on the back of the box and on the disc 10/10

Die Nibelungen part one

Amazing especially when you consider when this was made, visual stunning even today and you can see how this has effected every fantasy film since. Amazed how much emotion the actors get from facial expressions and movement. Really has gotten me into silent films. Music was another highlight. 10/10

The unholy
Fun bit of 80s horror. 7/10

Aguirre the wrath of god

Highlight has to be kinkski performance . Beautiful shot 7.5/10

Hammer house of horror. The house that bed to death

Surprisingly good possessed house with a twist ending which I didn't see coming. 7/10

Masters of horror

Cigarette burns 9/10
Dreams of the witch house 7/10
Incident on a mountain road 8/10
Chocolate 5/10

Wes 1st September 2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 362823)
From what I gather, noone quite knows the full extent of Mann's original cut of The Keep as sources do range between the 150 minute to 210 minute mark. Glad more people are giving the film a look at least. Even in a truncated form, I still consider The Keep one of the single most atmospheric films I've ever seen. :popcorn:

Yep... there's obviously a longer version of the film in Paramount's vault (or perhaps all the trims have been destroyed) but I can't imagine Michael Mann delivering a 3 hour cut of a Horror film especially something as out there as The Keep. I read the book recently and there's a lot of good stuff in there. Most interestingly is the character of Mosalar - in the film he's depicted as a slightly silly demonic muscle man, while in the book, he's an associate of Vlad the Impaler and dresses accordingly...

trebor8273 1st September 2013 06:37 PM

I do hope if theirs a longer version out there and it's closer to the book which I love and read once a year.

Dave Boy 1st September 2013 06:41 PM

Son Of Dracula (1943)
Lon Chaney Jr takes the role of Count Dracula....or should that be Count Alucard?. Another atmospheric horror from Universal as the Count rides to the bank of the swamp on the top of his coffin. Oh yes !

Plague Of The Zombies (1966)
Hammer time !
What can you say? Super tale set in Cornwall, of the undead forced to work in an old tin mine. Faultless in my opinion. Classic Hammer.

Make Them Die Slowly 1st September 2013 10:06 PM

BACK TO THE BEACH. Jesus f*ck, if you thought the original Beach films idiotic fluff(I don't, I like them) then avoid this 80s follow up film. It's dire but as with all things there are some saving graces: Dick Dales' permed, backcombed mullet and PeeWee Herman singing "The Surfin' Bird".

Expect more reviews of random shite, I've just got Netflix and I'm working my way through all the films that look awful first. I think it is some form of cinematic self harm.

SCM 2nd September 2013 09:58 AM

Well on Saturday, I tried to watch Mass Effect: Paragon Lost on Lovefilm. God that was a massive regret. Such a terrible animated movie, they can get Freddy Prinze Jr to do the voice of vega but they can't get Keith David, Lance Henrikson or Ali Hillis to do the voices for Anderson, Hackett or Liara. Not worth watching IMHO.

J Harker 2nd September 2013 05:31 PM

This afternoon I watched The Elephant Man.
Magnificent film, excellent in practically every way. And John Hurt did a fantastic job of making you care so much about Merrick despite the fact that he was buried under buckets of latex.
Simply superb.

troggi 2nd September 2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 363003)
This afternoon I watched The Elephant Man.
Magnificent film, excellent in practically every way. And John Hurt did a fantastic job of making you care so much about Merrick despite the fact that he was buried under buckets of latex.
Simply superb.

Bein' a gruff northerner and a roughie, toughie ex-submariner I don't tend t' get emotional but "The Elephant Man" is the straw that broke the whippet's back and made me sniff a tear back!

PaulD 2nd September 2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 362731)
I worked on 'Beetlejuice'!

Ooooh, in what capacity?

troggi 2nd September 2013 05:47 PM

Nearly f'got, I watched "Coraline" (2009) great little story, fun animation and voice acting.

17/10 for some fine characters.

Rik 2nd September 2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 363017)
Ooooh, in what capacity?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...VnM89LzDtu-ZqF

:makelikeatree:

PaulD 2nd September 2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 363023)

Hahaha! You're in for it now!

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd September 2013 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Town (2010)

Ben Affleck directs actor Ben Affleck in a film with a screenplay by Ben Affleck.

If this hasn't put you off then the chances are you will, like me, find The Town a very good thriller.

Set in Boston the film tells the story of a gang of armored car thieves and the FBI personnel out to stop them.

Affleck, the director makes this interesting for the first hour but not particularly involving. He gives the film a near documentary edge to it. The viewer feels they are almost intruding in the characters lives rather than following a linnear plot as we dip in and out of scenes hearing snippets of conversations rather than conventional plot lines.

Its worth the effort though as much of what we hear bears fruit in the second half of the film, as the main story kicks into gear - The robbing of Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox.

The three main action scenes are frenetic and leave the viewer breathless especially the climactic shoot outs around the baseball ground. The film has a great cast - Affleck, Rebecca Hall, John Hamm, Pete Postlethwaite, Jeremy Renner and Blake Lively and Affleck the director gets the best out of them.

The Town is recommended as an intelligent action thriller.

Rik 2nd September 2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 363024)

Yep, haven't offended her in ages too :lol:

Susan Foreman 2nd September 2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 362710)
Watched Beetlejuice last night for the very first time

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 362731)
I worked on 'Beetlejuice'!

Quote:

Ooooh, in what capacity?

Um...I sold tickets to see it when I was working as a cinema usher at the Ritz in Gosport!

Quote:

Ooooh, in what capacity?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 363023)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 363024)

Yes, Rik, you are in for it now!!!!

And you can forget your band EVER playing at my pub now...unless you ask me really nicely

Rik 2nd September 2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 363031)
Yes, Rik, you are in for it now!!!!

And you can forget your band EVER playing at my pub now...unless you ask me really nicely

http://www.yummylaura.com/wp-content...m_sorry_02.jpg

:o

troggi 2nd September 2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 363033)

Creepy, crawly bum-lick Rik!

J Harker 2nd September 2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 363014)
Bein' a gruff northerner and a roughie, toughie ex-submariner I don't tend t' get emotional but "The Elephant Man" is the straw that broke the whippet's back and made me sniff a tear back!

I thought it played on the emotions in a very dignified way. Absolutely sentiment and schmaltz free, just very honest and simple. I don't mind admitting I've shed the odd tear in many a film over the years but this one got to me in a different way.

Susan Foreman 2nd September 2013 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 363033)

Note - this is not suggesting that either you or I have bad halitosis!

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd September 2013 06:20 PM

:focus:

Rik 2nd September 2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 363040)
:focus:

Aye.

I watched Hellraiser:Bloodline the other night, continuing my Pinhead-a-thon, last decentish sequel before the "let's add Pinhead to this bog standard horror script so we don't lose the franchise rights" DTV films. Some cool looking Cenobite's in this one, especially Angelique :nod:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...-1996-04-g.jpg

Delirium 2nd September 2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 363036)
I thought it played on the emotions in a very dignified way. Absolutely sentiment and schmaltz free, just very honest and simple. I don't mind admitting I've shed the odd tear in many a film over the years but this one got to me in a different way.

Blimey, I'm a huge softy when it comes to The Elephant Man and I'm not afraid to admit it.

J Harker 2nd September 2013 07:28 PM

The scenes where Michael Elphicks scheming comes to fruition were heartbreaking and almost unbearable to watch. Which is impressive given that nothing that horrific really happens.

Wes 2nd September 2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 363065)
The scenes where Michael Elphicks scheming comes to fruition were heartbreaking and almost unbearable to watch. Which is impressive given that nothing that horrific really happens.

Yep, incredible, the cruelty of it... Another scene I love is when Anthony Hopkins' character first gazes upon John Merrick and his eyes fill with tears. Fantastic bit of acting from Hopkins (not overdone) and incredible lighting by Freddie Francis to capture that on b/w film...

Make Them Die Slowly 2nd September 2013 08:20 PM

BITCH SLAP! Which is what I'm gonna do as I hunt down ever person involved in this shitefest. Yes, we know you love grindhouse and sleaze but what you miss out is the singular vision that makes great exploitation the mindf*ck it can be.

TUFF TURF. This is better, a mind melting mix of "Rebel Without a Cause" and "Ferris Beuller's Day Off". James Spader is pissed off new kid in town, wilfully looking for trouble in a psychopathic, narcissistic way to channel his parents disapproval of him. Spader is f*cking great, all wedge hair and arrogance pushing his own agenda even as all around him suffer for his acts, his dad and best friend get shot, his girlfriend beaten up but that doesn't stop his floppy haired will to power Hell no, he just gets really hard and mean taking out all the baddies in a wildly over the top ending. Add excessive scenes of 80s American teens dancing, The Jim Carroll Band playing the local club with Robert Downey, in pre-jnr days, playing drums for them and you have one of the best 80s teen drama/musical/comedies ever. I shit and cum at the same time so good is this film.

Wes 2nd September 2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 363079)
I shit and cum at the same time so good is this film.

This should be on the DVD sleeve. Who could pass this up after such an endorsement...

trebor8273 2nd September 2013 08:33 PM

Naked lunch
Surreal and very very weird with great acting all around, blurs the line between realty and fantasy. Burroughs who I didn't know anything about appears a very tragic and dark figure 9/10

Star Trek into the darkness
Improves on the first movie. everyone has settled nicely into there characters apart from pegg who I just don't like as Scotty don't why. Like nods too the originals . A rip roaring adventure that has you on the edge of your seat find cumberbatch khan a lot more believable and human character than ricardo montalbans version. Definitely a bromance movie. 9.5/10

The berserker
Awful acting, story and special effects not worth the 1.49 I paid for it 2/10

Hammer house of horrors silent scream

Great acting from Cushing and cox in this chilling tale with a twist. Must of had a effect on me as I can still remember watching this when I was a child and it was first aired, was terrified of the windows in my house for weeks. 9/10

SShaw 2nd September 2013 08:53 PM

Recent Bluray viewings included:

A Field in England I love this film (more detailed thoughts can be found on my diary thread review of last weeks screening at Fantasy Film Fest Hamburg). I also ordered Down Terrace from Amazon.com to complete my Wheatley collection.

Corman's World a great documentary that I first saw at last years Fright Fest in Glasgow. Recommended for fans of Corman.

Spring Breakers Really disappointed by the latest offering from Harmony Korine which lacks the intelligence and transgressive nature of his earlier films instead providing a pretty bland crime-thriller that could have been made by almost any other director working in Hollywood today.

J Harker 2nd September 2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 363077)
Yep, incredible, the cruelty of it... Another scene I love is when Anthony Hopkins' character first gazes upon John Merrick and his eyes fill with tears. Fantastic bit of acting from Hopkins (not overdone) and incredible lighting by Freddie Francis to capture that on b/w film...

Agreed. Best performance I've seen Hopkins give. Very subdued which meant there was real impact there when he does snap and lose it with Elphick.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd September 2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 363084)

The berserker
Awful acting, story and special effects not worth the 1.49 I paid for it 2/10

Is that Berserker Hells Warrior which is dreadful or The Berserker from 1988 which is a bit of cheezy fun?

trebor8273 3rd September 2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 363130)
Is that Berserker Hells Warrior which is dreadful or The Berserker from 1988 which is a bit of cheezy fun?

The 1988 one.