Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th August 2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 359254)
I've just realised, I actually have this! God, that's an indictment of my "To Watch" pile isn't it? Will bump it up in the priority list now

At least you haven't done what I have so many times, which is to forget you own something and buy another copy.

Rik 16th August 2013 06:31 PM

Watched Evil Dead again today-Still think it's a great film and one I'm more than happy to have in my collection. It looks really good on Blu Ray (to be expected because it's a new film) and the featurettes are pretty good too, shame Sam Raimi wasn't involved, but it was good to see Rob Tapert and Bruce Campbell chatting about the film, along with Director Fede Alvarez and star Jane Levy. Haven't checked out the features on the extra disc yet (a DVD I should add), but I will do over the next day or two.
Like I said on the bought thread, I'm glad I decided not to go for the steelbook seeing as everyone's seems to be scratched, a clear manufacturing error-poor show from SC!

trebor8273 16th August 2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 359244)
The Last House in the Woods (2006)

Another in the Ghosthouse Underground series. This is as far away from yesterdays Brotherhood of Blood as you can get in levels of enjoyment. Again, a second viewing, but this is a film likely to receive many more.

You can tell from its title, Italian film The Last House in the Woods would have loved to been made thirty years ago and been a house on the left, the beach or on the edge of the park. Its a film which is heavily influenced by all these other sleaze classics not to mention The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Burial Ground. The film pays its dues to these films whilst carving an identity all of its own.

The Last House in the Woods is a film populated by normal folk who turn out to be wierdo's and wierdo's who turn out to be, well, wierdo's. On the reverse of the sleeve horror geek Chas Balun calls this the "Goriest Italian film in years". For fifty minutes of the films duration i was beginning to suspect he'd been watching another film entirely then it suddenly leaves the woods and becomes The Last House in Texas as chainsaws are wielded, stomachs are gutted, and much, much more. Special effects genius Sergio Stivaletti really has fun from this point onwards. As AC/DC declared "If You Want Blood...You've Got It".

Recommended to fans of Italian horror and gore hounds alike.

Another too add at some point to my to watch pile:lol:

troggi 16th August 2013 07:41 PM

The Last Man on Earth (1964)
Richard Matheson's novel "I am Legend" has certainly caught the attention of Hollywood!

"The Last Man on Earth" (1964)
"The Omega Man" (1971)
"I Am Legend" (2007)
"I Am Omega" (2007)

I have only seen 3 of the 4 so cannot comment on "I Am Omega" but out of the other three there isn't a bad film among 'em!

Vincent Price is as good as ever in the 1964 offering which I watched last night and I was not surprised to find myself enjoying it as much as the 1971 Chuck Heston film. I found myself more sympathetic towards Price's character than either Heston's angry and belligerent one or Smith's more smug and self assured one. I might, just for the sake of OCD, pick up the straight to video "I am Omega" to round off the character comparison!

demonknight 16th August 2013 07:43 PM

Watching Re-Animator now :)

SShaw 16th August 2013 07:56 PM

Foxy Brown. Enjoyable, but IMHO not the best of the Blacksploitation films.

Rik 16th August 2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 359378)
Watching Re-Animator now :)

I keep wanting to watch this again, but I'm holding off until the Blu comes out from Second Sight (that and the fact my copy is buried at the back of my cupboard due to its size)

Rondadoronron 16th August 2013 08:12 PM

omega

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 359375)
Richard Matheson's novel "I am Legend" has certainly caught the attention of Hollywood!

"The Omega Man" (1971)
"I Am Legend" (2007)
"I Am Omega" (2007)

I have only seen 3 of the 4 so cannot comment on "I Am Omega" but out of the other three there isn't a bad film among 'em!

Vincent Price is as good as ever in the 1964 offering which I watched last night and I was not surprised to find myself enjoying it as much as the 1971 Chuck Heston film. I found myself more sympathetic towards Price's character than either Heston's angry and belligerent one or Smith's more smug and self assured one. I might, just for the sake of OCD, pick up the straight to video "I am Omega" to round off the character comparison!

Personally I prefer Chucks character,he just wants to kill and shag,Lets be honest who doesn't.

Rik 16th August 2013 09:23 PM

Been trying to decide which film out of The Unholy, Necromentia and The Goatman Murders to watch tonight. After reading the following review on IMDb for The Goatman Murders, my decision has been made :nod:

I honestly have no words to describe how unbelievably terrible and wasteful the last 75 minutes of my life have been watching this. I got it for £5 and thought it would be a funny film to watch and didn't have high expectations going into to it, If you see it for cheap and think 'it will be worth a laugh' you're wrong just save yourself the money and go buy a packet of cigarettes it will be better for your health. Not to mention the ridiculous sound and deaths in the film just the entire atmosphere within the film itself was on par with with what you leave in the toilet after your first cup of coffee in the morning. I believe on the box it states 'Gore fans will love this' you won't, you will hate it with every fibre of your being and wish you spent the last hour and 15 minutes of your life eating glass, it truly is terrible, 1/10 is generous. Do not buy !

Judging by that, I reckon I'll love it :lol:

Rik 16th August 2013 10:49 PM

The Goatman Murders- This film cost me £1.27, that's exactly £1.26 more than the films budget :lol:
Gotta admit, it was enjoyable enough shite, with some crazy assed kills, a cheapo rubber masked killer and a shot of a bloke having a piss :confused:
I actually laughed out loud during the end scene, brilliant! It's back in it's case now, where I reckon i will stay for a long time :lol:

troggi 16th August 2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 359469)
The Goatman Murders- This film cost me £1.27, that's exactly £1.26 more than the films budget :lol:
Gotta admit, it was enjoyable enough shite, with some crazy assed kills, a cheapo rubber masked killer and a shot of a bloke having a piss :confused:
I actually laughed out loud during the end scene, brilliant! It's back in it's case now, where I reckon i will stay for a long time :lol:

I don't want to say "I told you so!"

troggi 16th August 2013 11:07 PM

Just remembered that I didn't rate "The Last Man on Earth". I use such films as "The Omega Man" and "Soylent Green" as standard 10/10 movies. Vincent Price, as I mentioned before plays the part of Morgan with great sympathy and makes us feel for him in a way that Chuck Heston couldn't do if he tried. 14/10 for that sympathy and ladies with far too much hairspray!

Rik 16th August 2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 359472)
I don't want to say "I told you so!"

I knew what I was letting myself in for, don't worry :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th August 2013 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 359332)
Another too add at some point to my to watch pile:lol:

Me too - it looks interesting. :nod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 359375)

"The Omega Man" (1971)
"I Am Legend" (2007)
"I Am Omega" (2007)

I love The Last Man on Earth, not only for Price's more forlorn, under-stated performance, but because the film just imbibes the feeling of loneliness throughout. I find The Omega Man to be a bit more hokey and cheesy, but it still manages to entertain. I didn't care much for I Am Legend - awful effects that can't help but distract, plus I'm not a fan of Smith as an actor at all really. Like you, I also haven't seen I Am Omega.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 359394)
Foxy Brown. Enjoyable, but IMHO not the best of the Blacksploitation films.

It's a decent entry into the sub-genre, but my favourite remains Cohen's Black Caesar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 359474)
I knew what I was letting myself in for, don't worry :)

I am still yet to be a victim of the Goatman. I'm sure it won't be too long before I am drawn into his evil clutches, though.

keirarts 17th August 2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 359484)
Me too - it looks interesting. :nod:

I love The Last Man on Earth, not only for Price's more forlorn, under-stated performance, but because the film just imbibes the feeling of loneliness throughout. I find The Omega Man to be a bit more hokey and cheesy, but it still manages to entertain. I didn't care much for I Am Legend - awful effects that can't help but distract, plus I'm not a fan of Smith as an actor at all really. Like you, I also haven't seen I Am Omega.

Curiously Richard Matheson didn't work on Last man on earth and he actually didn't care for the film either. A shame really as I fully agree that it's probably the closest version of the book. Really hated the Will Smith one, the vampires looked too much like monsters. The point is they should should still look very human.
Fortunately Matheson didn't hold too much of a grudge because at this point he was doing some incredible work with AIP writing screenplays and had worked on a lot of the Corman Poe films. He'd also write COMEDY OF TERRORS which has one of the best screenplays in my opinion.

Rondadoronron 17th August 2013 06:25 AM

survival of the fittest

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 359473)
Just remembered that I didn't rate "The Last Man on Earth". I use such films as "The Omega Man" and "Soylent Green" as standard 10/10 movies. Vincent Price, as I mentioned before plays the part of Morgan with great sympathy and makes us feel for him in a way that Chuck Heston couldn't do if he tried. 14/10 for that sympathy and ladies with far too much hairspray!

PAH,moaning around being all lonely and trying to find a cure to save humanity is all very well,but the bottom line is when the shit goes down whats important is food and procreation,so grab them guns and get out there and kill them mutants and don't come back untill there all dead,now thats a movie.

trebor8273 17th August 2013 06:18 PM

The incredible melting man.

Ok but the real star is the makeup effects of the melting man. 6.5/10

City of lost children

Truly amazing, fantastic acting with absolutely stunning visual style and very disturbing and creepy. Watched the French version as heard bad things about the English dub. 10/10

gag 17th August 2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 359599)
The incredible melting man.

Ok but the real star is the makeup effects of the melting man. 6.5/10

City of lost children

Truly amazing, fantastic acting with absolutely stunning visual style and very disturbing and creepy. Watched the French version as heard bad things about the English dub. 10/10

Incredible melting man watched few week back on horror channel , seem before its real cheese but entertaining cheese, city of lost children is a fantastic film.

J Harker 17th August 2013 06:49 PM

Watched The Incredible Melting Man a few nights back after recording off the horror channel a few weeks ago. First time. Really enjoyed it, great effects and very corny cheesy script. I was expecting something a little nastier but I actually found it to be quite fun.

Alien Nation with James Caan and Mandy Patinkin. Decent 80's sci-fi variation on the buddy cop movie.

trebor8273 17th August 2013 08:10 PM

Deranged

Highly disturbing and scary, but also I found very funny in places a wonderful performance from Robert blossom as he slowy descends further and further in to madness. To anyone like me who has not seen it before to yourself a favour a buy this classic, I dare say I enjoyed this more than Texas chainsaw massacre 10/10

Just remember The wages of sin is gonorrhea, syphilis, and death!

Deranged - "The wages of sin is gonorrhea, syphilis and death!" - YouTube

Next I shall watch the first film in the coffin joe box set.

SShaw 17th August 2013 08:41 PM

Another trip to the cinema this evening, this time to see Elysium which I really liked. Simple but effective narrative, it didn't have the twist at the end I expected and the political subtext is not rammed down the audiences throat. Good, effective SF entertainment.

And I watched Romper Stomper on blu earlier. O forgot how good thesis and I am a huge fan of the soundtrack.

gag 17th August 2013 09:09 PM

Snake in the eagles shadow never seen this before quite enjoyed it highly entertaining, also listening to the music surprising how many very famous tracks there are in the film. Tbh I can see the similarities of This and karate kid REALY being a Hollywood remake of this film

nosferatu42 17th August 2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 359618)
Deranged

Highly disturbing and scary, but also I found very funny in places a wonderful performance from Robert blossom as he slowy descends further and further in to madness. To anyone like me who has not seen it before to yourself a favour a buy this classic, I dare say I enjoyed this more than Texas chainsaw massacre 10/10

Just remember The wages of sin is gonorrhea, syphilis, and death!

Deranged - "The wages of sin is gonorrhea, syphilis and death!" - YouTube

Next I shall watch the first film in the coffin joe box set.

I really like Deranged too, has it got the brain scooping scene in the print ?,i know this scene isn't in my American version but it was in an old u.k version by Exploited films( although this version slightly censored the final scene with the upside down woman in the barn.):pop2:
A great film anyway, like you say very funny too, the performances are all spot on and this in my opinion is closest to the real Ed Gein story.

Let us know what you make of Coffin joe. :)

troggi 17th August 2013 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 359621)
Snake in the eagles shadow never seen this before quite enjoyed it highly entertaining, also listening to the music surprising how many very famous tracks there are in the film. Tbh I can see the similarities of This and karate kid REALY being a Hollywood remake of this film

"Snake in the Eagle's Shadow" is one of my all time favourite films and I watch it at least once a year!

Attachment 117560
"Rocky Jones, Space Ranger: Crash of Moons" (1954)
The blurb in the "SCI-FI CLASSICS" booklet says that this was originally a
Quote:

2 part episode from the syndicated 1954 television series
why weren't they broadcasting this during the school holidays instead of "Champion the Wonder Horse"! It goes on to to add that
Quote:

The series was cancelled after a single season because the costly special effects made it unprofitable.
:shocked:

I loved it: hokey science, terrible acting, worse dialogue, even worse special effects and very short skirts! 15/10 for the little Prince who wouldn't shut up!

"Dr Terror's House of Horrors" (1965)
I quite like "portmanteau movies" and this offering from Amicus is great BUT am I missing something? Where's the titular "House"?

16/10 for that great double act, Roy Castle and Kenny Lynch!

"Deathwatch" (2002)
I'd forgotten that I'd already seen this some time ago and really didn't twig it until Kris Marshall (Pvt. Barry Starinski) started masturbating!

Solid film, Andy Serkis' psychotic soldier is as stand-out as all his psychotic characters are but his ending is worth watching!

17/10 for the best trained barb wire in films!

trebor8273 17th August 2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 359630)
I really like Deranged too, has it got the brain scooping scene in the print ?,i know this scene isn't in my American version but it was in an old u.k version by Exploited films( although this version slightly censored the final scene with the upside down woman in the barn.):pop2:
A great film anyway, like you say very funny too, the performances are all spot on and this in my opinion is closest to the real Ed Gein story.

Let us know what you make of Coffin joe. :)

Yes brain scooping scene is there.

At midnight I will take your soul

Ze has to be one of the most evil and unpleasant characters to grace celluloid, also very blasphemous and anti relgion maybe not too us but I can see it being in brazil at the time. Very atmospheric and just goes to show you don't need a huge budget to make a truly chilling and effective film. 8/10

trebor8273 17th August 2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 359631)
"Snake in the Eagle's Shadow" is one of my all time favourite films and I watch it at least once a year!

Attachment 117560
"Rocky Jones, Space Ranger: Crash of Moons" (1954)
The blurb in the "SCI-FI CLASSICS" booklet says that this was originally a why weren't they broadcasting this during the school holidays instead of "Champion the Wonder Horse"! It goes on to to add that :shocked:

I loved it: hokey science, terrible acting, worse dialogue, even worse special effects and very short skirts! 15/10 for the little Prince who wouldn't shut up!

"Dr Terror's House of Horrors" (1965)
I quite like "portmanteau movies" and this offering from Amicus is great BUT am I missing something? Where's the titular "House"?

16/10 for that great double act, Roy Castle and Kenny Lynch!

"Deathwatch" (2002)
I'd forgotten that I'd already seen this some time ago and really didn't twig it until Kris Marshall (Pvt. Barry Starinski) started masturbating!

Solid film, Andy Serkis' psychotic soldier is as stand-out as all his psychotic characters are but his ending is worth watching!

17/10 for the best trained barb wire in films!

Spooky I'm watching dr terror at the moment !!

nosferatu42 17th August 2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 359633)
Yes brain scooping scene is there.

A midnight I will take your soul

Ze has to be one of the most evil and unpleasant characters to grace celluloid, also very blasphemous and ant relgion maybe not too us but I can see it being in brazil at the time. Very atmospheric and just goes to show you don't need a huge budget to make a truly chilling and effective film. 8/10

Might just have to pick up Deranged again then at some point,thanx.:nod:
Glad u liked 'midnight', and if u liked that you should love the next one.:)

J Harker 17th August 2013 11:55 PM

Just finished watching Ben Wheatleys A Field In England.
I'm not entirely sure what was going on but I really enjoyed it. Some brilliant imagery in there.

demonknight 18th August 2013 12:51 AM

The Evil Dead Remake and Creepshow. Two movies thirty years apart but both excellent ;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th August 2013 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 359633)
At midnight I will take your soul

Ze has to be one of the most evil and unpleasant characters to grace celluloid, also very blasphemous and anti relgion maybe not too us but I can see it being in brazil at the time. Very atmospheric and just goes to show you don't need a huge budget to make a truly chilling and effective film. 8/10

Glad you enjoyed this one, trebor.

As nosferatu mentioned, you should enjoy the next one too. :nod:

grim 18th August 2013 06:07 AM

Watched The Conjured in the cinema last night, to be honest it bored the s**t outta me. Yet another "scariest movie" comment that was total BS. Didn't jump once. More of the same tripe from Hollywood. In fact the only film that truly gave me the creeps in the last few years was Rec and if anyone wants to see a good few jump scares watch that. They were done perfectly in it.

My highlight of this week was Jay and Silent Bob Get Old: Tea Bagging in the UK and Ireland. 7 hours with Smith and Mewes is sure to lift anybodies mood and these live on stage recordings are top notch. Absolutely p*ssed myself.

Sam 18th August 2013 08:21 AM

Watched The Horseman last night, which was my attempt to put something on that me and my other half would 'both enjoy'! Turns out it was every bit as cruel and sadistic as any 'torture porn' film ... oh well :rolleyes:.

As a film, I thought it was OK but it lost something in adhering too much to its linear structure (despite attempting to vary things by altering the time structure). In the end, all that's left is a series of set pieces, where the protagonist hunts down and kills one bloke before moving onto the next. Those who made the film would probably argue that that this portrays the single-minded obsession of Christian, and maybe they'd be right, but it never seems to get under the skin of any of the characters or the seedy industry Christian is trying to destroy, which feels like a wasted opportunity to me. That said, those set pieces are fairly well executed and it's a pretty good time-filler.

gag 18th August 2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 359660)
Watched The Horseman last night, which was my attempt to put something on that me and my other half would 'both enjoy'! Turns out it was every bit as cruel and sadistic as any 'torture porn' film ... oh well :rolleyes:.

As a film, I thought it was OK but it lost something in adhering too much to its linear structure (despite attempting to vary things by altering the time structure). In the end, all that's left is a series of set pieces, where the protagonist hunts down and kills one bloke before moving onto the next. Those who made the film would probably argue that that this portrays the single-minded obsession of Christian, and maybe they'd be right, but it never seems to get under the skin of any of the characters or the seedy industry Christian is trying to destroy, which feels like a wasted opportunity to me. That said, those set pieces are fairly well executed and it's a pretty good time-filler.

I quite like this seen it a few times, one of those films where it's a hidden under rated Australian gem , yes there better but it ain't rubbish by far, quite violent and brutal.

troggi 18th August 2013 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 117593

"Rocky Jones, Space Ranger: Menace from Outer Space" (1956)? Mmm! The last Rocky Jones film on the same disc said that the series only lasted one season yet there's two years between that and this. Maybe the date is from when it was re-edited and stitched together to make this film. Whatever!

Still a lot of fun in that hokey 1950s way, Flash Gordon without rockets with a farting sparkler up the spout! 15/10 for short skirts and bare midriffs!

Rondadoronron 18th August 2013 12:15 PM

doggy style

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 359680)
Attachment 117593

"Rocky Jones, Space Ranger: Menace from Outer Space" (1956)? Mmm! The last Rocky Jones film on the same disc said that the series only lasted one season yet there's two years between that and this. Maybe the date is from when it was re-edited and stitched together to make this film. Whatever!

Still a lot of fun in that hokey 1950s way, Flash Gordon without rockets with a farting sparkler up the spout! 15/10 for short skirts and bare midriffs!

All I wanna know Is how do you operate dvd player with paws?

troggi 18th August 2013 12:19 PM

Almost f'got! Couldn't sleep last night so watched "Batman: Gotham Knight" (2008)
IMDB says:
Quote:

A collection of key events mark Bruce Wayne's life, as he journeys from beginner to Dark Knight.
Short segments from different directors and animators, some better than others. Because of this it is quite difficult to rate but overall I think it deserves a solid 10/10 as it neither adds to nor subtracts anything from the mythos!

troggi 18th August 2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rondadoronron (Post 359681)
All I wanna know Is how do you operate dvd player with paws?

'S not easy I can tell y'! 'E doesn't 'alf fidget when y' put the disc in and it needs a wipe off when and if y'can eject it! :shocked:

Wes 18th August 2013 12:26 PM

Manhattan Baby (DVD).... When Gasteropod called this out a few posts back I thought it was high time to dust this one off and give it a spin, so with great enthusiasm I slammed this in the player but after one tortuous hour I called it a day. This one has always been considered something of a dud and it's reputation is entirely deserved - it's real lukewarm stuff. I'll put most of the blame for this on the Sacchettis - there's just no story here, just a string of wishy-washy set pieces, and while Fulci's direction has it's moments, his obsession with close-ups of eyes - there must be over a dozen cutaways to furrowed brows in this film - becomes really irritating...

trebor8273 18th August 2013 12:35 PM

Fire in the sky

One of the best alien abduction movies no speilberg whimsy here, great acting and the last ten minutes is very terrifying and disturbing. 9/10

SShaw 18th August 2013 02:44 PM

It was raining this afternoon so I sat down with some drinks and snacks and watched Warm Bodies. Isaw this back in January at the cinema and really enjoyed it. This will probably earn me a ban from these parts but I see no reason to change my mind on a repeat viewing. Its smart script makes it stand out from the usual mainstream teen dreck. Recommended for those looking for something a bit lighter and probably girlfriend/wife friendly.