Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

troggi 14th August 2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 358791)
The Greatest Show on Earth (1952)

I've owned this film for three years and always put off watching it. A bit of madness on my part because its an absolutely terrific film. It tells the tale of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, and stars Charlton Heston, James Stewart, Betty Hutton, Cornel Wilde, Gloria Grahame and Dorothy Lamour.

In addition to the stars the film also features the real B&B / RB circus of the time, with its complement of 1400 people, hundreds of animals, and 60 carloads of equipment and tents. The actors learned their respective circus roles and participated in the acts.

The acts are phenomenal and really exciting to watch especially Wilde and Hutton on the high trapeze. Cecil B. DeMille's direction is flawless and he ensures a two and a half hour film flies by in a script full of drama, passion and excitement.

I love this movie! It used to be on telly regularly as I was growing up but it never seemed to be that long, I can't even remember going to the loo while it was on, certainly not when I was sat in the living room any way!:doh:

troggi 14th August 2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 358744)
A night of B movie thrills...

The Alligator People (1959)

Devil Girl From Mars (1954)

The Astounding She-Monster (1957)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 358756)
Not seen either of those. I wish you'd write some mini reviews to accompany your lists. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 358760)
Me too!

Yeah throw us a crumb, mate! I hope Dave Boy doesn't think we're ganging up on him and being big bullies 'cos I'm not, don't know 'bout the others though cos they only speak t' me t' tell me off, an they only let me 'ave one sip o' water ev'ry three days, an...no! Don't 'it me again, Mah-thter!

troggi 14th August 2013 08:08 PM

"The Beyond" (1981)
Recorded earlier from the Horror Channel. Many more people have waxed lyrical upon this masterpiece of rigatoni horror cinema and I will not dare to add my insignificant remarks to the experts. What I will say is "fantastic, a treat for the eyes, ears and that blancmange-y bit inside processes all the noises and sights!"

:popcorn:

trebor8273 14th August 2013 08:31 PM

Intruder

Another classic that I had never seen, really enjoyed this lots of gore and great kills, the killer is totally off his rocker and the scene with head was one of many highlights. Great picture quality ang region free will have to pick up some more synapse releases. 9.5/10

sjconstable 14th August 2013 10:29 PM

Kick-Ass 2 - 3.5/5

Very enjoyable sequel, probably funnier than the first one.

keirarts 14th August 2013 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 117210

This got pretty slated on its theatrical run and its easy to see why. Its fairly generic, adds little new to the mix in terms of plot twists. I still liked it however.

Firstly it has an asian actor as the central protagonist who doesn't fill the predictable hollywood stereotypes which is new enough on its own to make the film interesting.

Secondly Stallone is great as the gruff world weary hitman.

Thirdly, unlike a lot of hollywood tat, this one isn't afraid to lay on the brutality. There's plenty of messy deaths and brutal fights and the film doesn't pull its punches for the dreaded pg-13.

Fourthly, Walter hill can still direct action, and this is still very much a Walter hill film. It has the gruff world weary voice over (not overused and coming only really at the end) plenty of Booze and sudden violence. Even the score is classic Walter hill territory.

Honestly the film did more to drag me back to the days of VHS rentals from the local corner shop than either of the Expendables movies ever did. There are no knowing nods or winks to camera and as a result it feels far more like a late eighties early nineties direct to video action film as a result. Leering evil villains, unsympathetic antiheroes... as generic as it is the film is a really fun 90 minutes. :popcorn:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th August 2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 358813)
"The Beyond" (1981)
Recorded earlier from the Horror Channel. Many more people have waxed lyrical upon this masterpiece of rigatoni horror cinema and I will not dare to add my insignificant remarks to the experts. What I will say is "fantastic, a treat for the eyes, ears and that blancmange-y bit inside processes all the noises and sights!"

Am interested to know what your "x"/10 rating would be for this one, troggi.

nosferatu42 15th August 2013 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 358889)

Me too, it's my favourite of the Fulci zombie type films.:pop2:

nosferatu42 15th August 2013 03:01 AM

Watched 'Spider baby' with my daughter at the weekend, she paid attention throughout (hardly texted at all), which was a good sign and seemed to find it quite funny. When it finished i asked what she thought and she said 'it was ok'.
More than ok in my mind, it's a classic.
Love the weird atmosphere, the girls creepy but funny performances and their uncle and his new girlfriend are brilliant too ( sweet and endearing but entertainingly kooky). Lon Chaney gives a nice performance too.
In my mind it's a forerunner to Texas Chainsaw with it's totally bizarre family and seems ahead of it's time. :pop2:
It's been a favourite of mine for a few years now. At the moment i still have the image entertainment disc but am quite tempted to upgrade to the Arrow disc, maybe when i have a bit more money because theres always so many films that i want but haven't got a copy of at all.:)

keirarts 15th August 2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 358895)
Watched 'Spider baby' with my daughter at the weekend, she paid attention throughout (hardly texted at all), which was a good sign and seemed to find it quite funny. When it finished i asked what she thought and she said 'it was ok'.
More than ok in my mind, it's a classic.
Love the weird atmosphere, the girls creepy but funny performances and their uncle and his new girlfriend are brilliant too ( sweet and endearing but entertainingly kooky). Lon Chaney gives a nice performance too.
In my mind it's a forerunner to Texas Chainsaw with it's totally bizarre family and seems ahead of it's time. :pop2:
It's been a favourite of mine for a few years now. At the moment i still have the image entertainment disc but am quite tempted to upgrade to the Arrow disc, maybe when i have a bit more money because theres always so many films that i want but haven't got a copy of at all.:)

If you only have the image disc make sure to keep hold of it if you upgrade. The Arrow version, like the Dark sky is the longer directors cut and has different bonus material. Its worth the upgrade though.

Dave Boy 15th August 2013 09:21 AM

Kick Ass 2

Really enjoyed this, as I knew I would. Builds on the first film really well and there are some great moments as Mindy tries to adjust to school life.Loads more heroes and villians to play with this time as Kick Ass joins the Justice Forever team against The MotherF*%$^r and his team of The Toxic Mega C*%^s. Great action, violence and some gross out moments. Make sure you stay until after the end credits. :yo:

troggi 15th August 2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 358889)

I really do apologise I had meant o give a rating but a little pooch was looking at me longingly for his walk so I felt pressured and forgot!

I think I was going to give it an impressive 18/10 but on reflection I did have some problems with dead blind girls running out of hotels like they had Daredevil's extra-sensory radar gift, only a slight niggle but it did bother me that she wasn't consistent with what she could and couldn't sense; 17/10 especially for the real and toy "jumping" spiders! :pound:

troggi 15th August 2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 358931)
Kick Ass 2

Really enjoyed this, as I knew I would. Builds on the first film really well and there are some great moments as Mindy tries to adjust to school life.Loads more heroes and villians to play with this time as Kick Ass joins the Justice Forever team against The MotherF*%$^r and his team of The Toxic Mega C*%^s. Great action, violence and some gross out moments. Make sure you stay until after the end credits. :yo:

If it is faithful to the comic it should be superb and as Millar worked on the screenplay it should be!

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th August 2013 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Brotherhood of Blood (2007)

I didn't have fond memories of my first viewing of this dvd, part of the Region 1 Ghosthouse Underground range. Sure enough five years after my last viewing it hasn't improved at all. Clearly the producers had a few quid to splash, even though this is a low budget horrror, as they managed to hook Victoria Pratt, Jason Connery, Ken Foree and Sid Haig aboard, yet this film just doesn't work. One of my main issues with it are overlong scenes. Some of them run up to fifteen minutes at a time, which would be fine if they were full of snappy Tarantino-esq dialogue but that isn't the case here. In fact the bulk of the film concerns Pratt talking to Foree who is bound to a table. ken Foree is another problem, his overacting is amateurish at times and fails to build up any tension in scenes whatsoever. Meanwhile Connery and Haig are wasted with very little to do.

The pace of the film whilst pretty much at a standstill most of the time is hardly enlivened by terminally dull flashbacks as we lead up to the table tied situation. The film also has minimal blood which i always find off-putting in a modern vampire film.

I suppose the films main problem is its incredibly boring, which is the worst crime any film, not just horror, can commit. I can safely say there won't be a third viewing for this mess of a bloodless vamp flick.

sjconstable 15th August 2013 06:48 PM

Manhattan Baby - 3.5/5

An underrated gem! Fulci at his most abstract, it made me feel a bit uneasy and creeped out, and it was cool how the soundtrack reused bits from his other horror films, like the evil is linked between them. This is the perfect antidote to all the horribly predictable and clichéd horror films coming out nowadays (like The Conjuring, total yawnfest), this is unpredictable and dream-like. Ancient Egypt is creepy ;)

Wes 15th August 2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 359055)
Manhattan Baby - 3.5/5

An underrated gem! Fulci at his most abstract, it made me feel a bit uneasy and creeped out...

Great, it's the one Fulci I have left on my shelf unseen. Must grab a screening at the w/end...

Make Them Die Slowly 15th August 2013 07:44 PM

THE SEASONING HOUSE. Set in a brothel during the Balkans Conflict, this charts the tale of a deaf mute girl's eventual escape from her keeps and tormentors. Man, I'm getting so jaded, but I want more from a film where teenage girls are tied to beds, shot up full of heroin then raped by lumbering, anonymous hulks with dodgy accents. Too much time is spent in slow motion shots building up atmosphere when sheer, brutal unspeakable acts could have done it in half the time. That said, at around the 50 minute mark it all kicks off in a grand and bloody style that is maintained until the end. Recommended with reservations.

Wes 15th August 2013 07:48 PM

Well I'm just back from 10 days in France and caught a really random selection of late night TV screenings - all of 'em dubbed en Francais but I persevered - among them the original Shaft, a beautiful restoration of Umbrellas of Cherbourg, with Catherine Deneuve at her most stunningly gorgeous, Picnic At Hanging Rock, and a really terrific 1977 French-Canadian thriller called La Menace, which features one of the most spectacular truck-goes-off-a-cliff set pieces I've seen in quite some time...

http://filmsdefrance.com/img/1977_La_Menace.jpg

SShaw 15th August 2013 08:33 PM

Brood arrived so my plans for the evening were cancelled so I could sit down and watch it again. Its a film that gets better with each viewing. Fantastic! Now could we have some of the other early Cronenberg oeuvre on Blu please?!

troggi 15th August 2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 359099)
Brood arrived so my plans for the evening were cancelled so I could sit down and watch it again. Its a film that gets better with each viewing. Fantastic! Now could we have some of the other early Cronenberg oeuvre on Blu please?!

I saw "The Brood" in the cinema when it first hit these shores. Although I did enjoy it I had so many problems with it that I've never thought about getting it on DVD. After reading everyone's reviews though I may have to find it and re-watch it. Maybe I was distracted at the cinema by my companion! ;)

nosferatu42 16th August 2013 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 359104)
I saw "The Brood" in the cinema when it first hit these shores. Although I did enjoy it I had so many problems with it that I've never thought about getting it on DVD. After reading everyone's reviews though I may have to find it and re-watch it. Maybe I was distracted at the cinema by my companion! ;)

I didn't think much of 'The Brood' when i first saw it many years ago, but revisiting it made me appreciate it much more now i'm older. I really liked it last time i saw it although 'Shivers', 'Dead Ringers' and' Videodrome' are my favourite David Cronenberg films.:nod:

Watched 'Cosmopolis' the other day, i started it the first time but only got half an hour into it and decided to go to bed instead, it's filled with dense complicated dialogue that put me off( i'd had a few beers by this time).:wacko:

On my second attempt i was sober and paid attention, i found it interesting but a little dull (mainly because the lead character spends most of the time in his car), i can see how it fit's into Cronenberg's world, being about the decline of a career and in consequence mental disintegration, and the protagonist breaking down the barriers of his rigid overly structured life. (or something like that:))
I think it's worth a watch if you're in the right mood, but don't know if i'd actually go so far as to recommend it to anyone. 5/10 for me :pop2:

I know Cronenberg's older and most people mellow with age, but i wish he would go back to his horror/sci-fi roots. It's sad to see him making mediocre drama films when he is capable of creating really twisted and visionary work.:(

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 16th August 2013 02:40 AM

Agreed on all accounts.

We seem to have similar tastes, nosferatu. :)

troggi 16th August 2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 359126)
I didn't think much of 'The Brood' when i first saw it many years ago, but revisiting it made me appreciate it much more now i'm older. I really liked it last time i saw it although 'Shivers', 'Dead Ringers' and' Videodrome' are my favourite David Cronenberg films.:nod:

I think you've hit the nail on the head; 'Shivers', 'Dead Ringers' and' Videodrome' are my favourite David Cronenberg films too and despite such work as "The Naked Lunch" grabbing headlines!

It would be so good if he revisited his roots and gave us more of his visceral horror like "Dead Ringers" which I feel has a terrifying "normality" about it because of Jeremy Iron's skill as an actor even though his characters are so "out of whack!"

I also think Cronenberg made a a fine psychopathic psychiatrist in "Nightbreed" especially in that creepy mask!:eek:

I am going to re-visit "The Brood" at some point and see if I will appreciate more now than I did when it had a theatrical release! :nod:

Wes 16th August 2013 08:56 AM

Yep, I must revisit The Brood at some stage. It's a fine film but exhausting to watch I think. It's heavy, compared to what I call Cronenberg's punk rock films, Shivers and Rabid. Did anyone dig Fast Company ? I had my eyes peeled throughout that show for Cronenbergisms but honestly I got nothing out of that film. Maybe another one to revisit and reconsider...

trebor8273 16th August 2013 09:30 AM

The pit and the pendulum (full moon)

Not as good as the corman version but still a great film, with have Jeffrey combs and Oliver reed who give great performances but the real star of the film is lance Henriksen who does a amazing job as the evil and terrifying Torquemada. Some great fight scenes and costumes etc look authentic for the time. 8/10

Monty Python and the holy grail

A comic masterpeice, inspired lunacy, for me the best scene is the tale of sir Lancelot. One of my top five comedy's. 10/10

nosferatu42 16th August 2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 359149)
Yep, I must revisit The Brood at some stage. It's a fine film but exhausting to watch I think. It's heavy, compared to what I call Cronenberg's punk rock films, Shivers and Rabid. Did anyone dig Fast Company ? I had my eyes peeled throughout that show for Cronenbergisms but honestly I got nothing out of that film. Maybe another one to revisit and reconsider...

Never seen 'Fast company' have wondered about it but didn't think it was available on dvd, also it's a bit like Argento's 'Milan' film and Cravens 'Music' film where i'm not even sure i want to watch it in the first place. Even to complete a collection and even if i did own it i doubt i'd want them sat on the shelf among the horror films. :eek: :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th August 2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Dead Ringers and Videodrome are probably my two favourite David Cronenberg films and I consider Dead Ringers to be his finest film. I also really love Spider, which is often overlooked.

Quote:

Watched 'Cosmopolis' the other day, i started it the first time but only got half an hour into it and decided to go to bed instead, it's filled with dense complicated dialogue that put me off( i'd had a few beers by this time).:wacko:

On my second attempt i was sober and paid attention, i found it interesting but a little dull (mainly because the lead character spends most of the time in his car), i can see how it fit's into Cronenberg's world, being about the decline of a career and in consequence mental disintegration, and the protagonist breaking down the barriers of his rigid overly structured life. (or something like that:))
I think it's worth a watch if you're in the right mood, but don't know if i'd actually go so far as to recommend it to anyone. 5/10 for me :pop2:

I know Cronenberg's older and most people mellow with age, but i wish he would go back to his horror/sci-fi roots. It's sad to see him making mediocre drama films when he is capable of creating really twisted and visionary work.:(

I didn't care for Cosmopolis when I saw it first but then watched it again about a week later and thought it was brilliant, so your reaction to a film is sometimes dependent on your mood, how tired you are and what distractions can disturb you or prevent you from concentrating.

nosferatu42 16th August 2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 359168)
Dead Ringers and Videodrome are probably my two favourite David Cronenberg films and I consider Dead Ringers to be his finest film. I also really love Spider, which is often overlooked.

I didn't care for Cosmopolis when I saw it first but then watched it again about a week later and thought it was brilliant, so your reaction to a film is sometimes dependent on your mood, how tired you are and what distractions can disturb you or prevent you from concentrating.

I did like 'Cosmopolis' by the time it ended and can see the point it's making about our modern society ruled by money that has lost it's meaning, but it just didn't grab me like his older films.:pop2:
I also would have a problem recommending it because a lot of people i meet these days just wouldn't have the patience to sit through it, being force fed CGI and explosions n all that stuff. ;)
I wonder what the Patterson/Twilight fans made of it? :)

demonknight 16th August 2013 11:20 AM

Slice and Dice documentary. Brilliant stuff.
Emily Booth looks great by the way. She looks good in white!
Not enough of Kevin Tenney though. Night of the Demons is
one of the best horror movies from the 80's IMO. Good to see
Scott Spiegel and his awesome Intruder :)

nosferatu42 16th August 2013 11:23 AM

Scott Speigel and his awesome 'Intruder' (oo-er missus) ;)

PaulD 16th August 2013 11:34 AM

Viewings since my last update:

Shock Treatment - sort of 'sequel' to the Rocky Horror Picture Show which finds Brad and Janet experiencing a marital crisis while involved in an all-consuming tv show which has, quite literally, taken over their small town. A bigger box office flop than even the Rocky Horror Picture show, it never attained the same level of cult acclaim of its predecessor which is a shame because, unfair comparisons aside, it's a really great film. The songs are excellent, the satire on media manipulation and reality TV incredibly prophetic and the fact that it was all shot on a soundstage and we never leave the confines of the tv studio (a decision made possible only by the limitations of the production) gives it an oddly claustrophobic feel. It's not as 'out there' as RHPS but definitely worth a look and Jessica Harper does an excellent job at portraying a more self-assured Janet

Foxy Brown - still think I prefer Coffy but still a thoroughly excellent slice of blaxploitation. Still think the tagline should be "She's a feisty chick and she'll cut off your dick!" though.

Black Sabbath - I foolishly watched the AIP version of this which I gather isn't as good. I was less impressed with the last story but really enjoyed The Drop of Water and even The Telephone, although I gather the alternate version of the latter is very different. I must make an effort to clear my mind and watch the Italian version of the film soon

The World's End - a surprisingly moving and poignant end to Edgar Wright's ice cream-based trilogy. It deals well with the troubles of nostalgia and the unwillingness to grow up and yet manages to mix comedy with a sci-fi plot with some excellent choreographed fight sequences in too.

Hot Fuzz - gave this a watch after The World's End and think this might be my favourite of the three. I can't think of a film in recent years that's more densely packed with jokes and I love the way it takes various genre tropes and puts them all together to create something a bit different

The Evictors
- horror thriller starring Jessica Harper and Michael Parks as a married couple who move into a new house but become terrorised by a mysterious figure who presumably has some connection to the house. It does moments of tension really well and I was surprised at how creepy I found it, although films about home invasion and invasions of privacy always unnerve me

Tell No One - excellent French thriller about a man who starts to believe his murdered wife is still alive. It's very twisty-turning as layers upon layers are uncovered to get to the truth and is also really heart-breaking at the same time. I think I cried at the end. Sue me.

House - the Steve Miner one. The revisitation of a film I hadn't seen since my early teens. Darkly comedic with wonderful 80's plasticy effects and generally very silly. Top stuff.

Sharknado - think I already covered this but just to reiterate, being super-post-post-ironic and self-aware doesn't change the fact it's a tedious film which looks awful and trades off the craziness of its already tired concept. Bilge.

V/H/S
- again, already covered. Headache-inducing found footage film that doesn't have the courage or justification of its main concept and seems only to exist to appeal to genre fans nostalgic of the video format. Verdict: Eject

From Beyond - first time viewing of Stuart Gordon's icky Lovecraft adaptation. I'm quite ignorant of films based on Lovecraft's work but after this will be checking more of them out. I loved the 80s plastic-realism and the icky body-horror stuff makes me squirm in a way nothing else does. It's silly, over the top and at times ineptly directed (with one death scene a baffling case of "Why didn't he move out of the way?!" which so many horror films are guilty of) but it was short, sharp and delivered on the grue and guts.

Satan's Baby Doll - sigh. An all-over-the-place series of sexual set pieces strung together by a hamfisted plot involving possession. It manages to outstay its welcome even in its brief 75 minutes running time and even the most devout Italian exploitation purists will find little to get excited about.

nosferatu42 16th August 2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 359184)
Viewings since my last update:

Shock Treatment - sort of 'sequel' to the Rocky Horror Picture Show which finds Brad and Janet experiencing a marital crisis while involved in an all-consuming tv show which has, quite literally, taken over their small town. A bigger box office flop than even the Rocky Horror Picture show, it never attained the same level of cult acclaim of its predecessor which is a shame because, unfair comparisons aside, it's a really great film. The songs are excellent, the satire on media manipulation and reality TV incredibly prophetic and the fact that it was all shot on a soundstage and we never leave the confines of the tv studio (a decision made possible only by the limitations of the production) gives it an oddly claustrophobic feel. It's not as 'out there' as RHPS but definitely worth a look and Jessica Harper does an excellent job at portraying a more self-assured Janet

Foxy Brown - still think I prefer Coffy but still a thoroughly excellent slice of blaxploitation. Still think the tagline should be "She's a feisty chick and she'll cut off your dick!" though.

Black Sabbath - I foolishly watched the AIP version of this which I gather isn't as good. I was less impressed with the last story but really enjoyed The Drop of Water and even The Telephone, although I gather the alternate version of the latter is very different. I must make an effort to clear my mind and watch the Italian version of the film soon

The World's End - a surprisingly moving and poignant end to Edgar Wright's ice cream-based trilogy. It deals well with the troubles of nostalgia and the unwillingness to grow up and yet manages to mix comedy with a sci-fi plot with some excellent choreographed fight sequences in too.

Hot Fuzz - gave this a watch after The World's End and think this might be my favourite of the three. I can't think of a film in recent years that's more densely packed with jokes and I love the way it takes various genre tropes and puts them all together to create something a bit different

The Evictors
- horror thriller starring Jessica Harper and Michael Parks as a married couple who move into a new house but become terrorised by a mysterious figure who presumably has some connection to the house. It does moments of tension really well and I was surprised at how creepy I found it, although films about home invasion and invasions of privacy always unnerve me

Tell No One - excellent French thriller about a man who starts to believe his murdered wife is still alive. It's very twisty-turning as layers upon layers are uncovered to get to the truth and is also really heart-breaking at the same time. I think I cried at the end. Sue me.

House - the Steve Miner one. The revisitation of a film I hadn't seen since my early teens. Darkly comedic with wonderful 80's plasticy effects and generally very silly. Top stuff.

Sharknado - think I already covered this but just to reiterate, being super-post-post-ironic and self-aware doesn't change the fact it's a tedious film which looks awful and trades off the craziness of its already tired concept. Bilge.

V/H/S
- again, already covered. Headache-inducing found footage film that doesn't have the courage or justification of its main concept and seems only to exist to appeal to genre fans nostalgic of the video format. Verdict: Eject

From Beyond - first time viewing of Stuart Gordon's icky Lovecraft adaptation. I'm quite ignorant of films based on Lovecraft's work but after this will be checking more of them out. I loved the 80s plastic-realism and the icky body-horror stuff makes me squirm in a way nothing else does. It's silly, over the top and at times ineptly directed (with one death scene a baffling case of "Why didn't he move out of the way?!" which so many horror films are guilty of) but it was short, sharp and delivered on the grue and guts.

Satan's Baby Doll - sigh. An all-over-the-place series of sexual set pieces strung together by a hamfisted plot involving possession. It manages to outstay its welcome even in its brief 75 minutes running time and even the most devout Italian exploitation purists will find little to get excited about.

I quite like 'Shock treatment' too , and like you say i think it has become even more impressive when you look at todays society. I still prefer RHPS of course but quite like Jessica Harper as Janet, i've got a bit of a thing for her because of this, 'Suspiria' and 'Phantom of the Paradise', will have to check out The 'Evictors' sometime.:nod:

Personally i liked the Boris Karloff story from 'Black Sabbath' the most, i'm a sucker for period horror stories and absolutely adore Boris so that probably had something to do with it, also it's quite an unusual take on the vampire legend.
So glad to have a good copy of this masterpiece finally.:)
Love 'From beyond' ,If you haven't seen them check out 'Re-animator' and 'Dagon' as soon as possible, great films. (i also quite like 'Bride of re-animator' although many others don't, but 'Beyond Re-animator ' didn't do it for me).
Also if you go for body horror 'Society' is a must.:pop2:

Love all the Cornetto trilogy. Modern classics.
Used to like 'House' when i was a teenager and was thinking the other day that i need to re-watch this although i could never be arsed with the sequels.
Was thinking about checking out 'Satan's baby doll', probably still will at some point because the trailer makes it look enjoyable, i like dodgy eurotrash films.:crazy:
As for 'V/H/S' and 'Sharknado' they never appealed to me anyway but i will steer well clear after listening to everyone here.:pop2:

nosferatu42 16th August 2013 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 117342

Watched this last night, hadn't seen it since it came out on video years ago.
Not a bad little film, pretty well acted and well made and interesting. The ending had a few little twists and some creature effects( which were good in the transformation but a little less successful in the final result).
Oh and Drew Barrymore with her hooha's out whilst having a blood shower.:woot:
Well worth a watch in my opinion. 7/10. :pop2:

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th August 2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 359203)
Oh and Drew Barrymore with her hooha's out whilst having a blood shower.:woot:

:lol: I normally wear clothes when i'm in the shower don't you?

I keep meaning to pick this up, like you i haven't seen it since the vhs days. Poison Ivy was another one, but i picked up a box set a few years ago.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th August 2013 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Last House in the Woods (2006)

Another in the Ghosthouse Underground series. This is as far away from yesterdays Brotherhood of Blood as you can get in levels of enjoyment. Again, a second viewing, but this is a film likely to receive many more.

You can tell from its title, Italian film The Last House in the Woods would have loved to been made thirty years ago and been a house on the left, the beach or on the edge of the park. Its a film which is heavily influenced by all these other sleaze classics not to mention The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Burial Ground. The film pays its dues to these films whilst carving an identity all of its own.

The Last House in the Woods is a film populated by normal folk who turn out to be wierdo's and wierdo's who turn out to be, well, wierdo's. On the reverse of the sleeve horror geek Chas Balun calls this the "Goriest Italian film in years". For fifty minutes of the films duration i was beginning to suspect he'd been watching another film entirely then it suddenly leaves the woods and becomes The Last House in Texas as chainsaws are wielded, stomachs are gutted, and much, much more. Special effects genius Sergio Stivaletti really has fun from this point onwards. As AC/DC declared "If You Want Blood...You've Got It".

Recommended to fans of Italian horror and gore hounds alike.

PaulD 16th August 2013 03:51 PM

Top review Dem! Not heard of this but will definitely check it out, especially due to Stivaletti's involvement

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th August 2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 359246)
Top review Dem! Not heard of this but will definitely check it out, especially due to Stivaletti's involvement

Thanks Paul. :)

There's a few pics on The Film Stills Thread if people want an idea of the film.

Rik 16th August 2013 04:12 PM

Looks good, I'll be checking that out at some point :nod:

PaulD 16th August 2013 04:13 PM

I've just realised, I actually have this! God, that's an indictment of my "To Watch" pile isn't it? Will bump it up in the priority list now

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th August 2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 359254)
I've just realised, I actually have this! God, that's an indictment of my "To Watch" pile isn't it? Will bump it up in the priority list now

:pound: