Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Rondadoronron 11th September 2013 07:25 PM

goodies AD

Been watching the The Goodies LWT series,nowhere near as funny as there BBC series,but still entertaining enough,slightly more risque with the language and a few sexual innuendos,(Bill Oddie dressed in a miniskirt and fake boobs anyone?),Like alot of long running series the scripts were getting weaker by the episode,very hit and miss,but im easily pleased.Speaking of which-
Dracula Ad 1972 I luv it,Hammer failed but in entertaining way,groovy kids,played by actors in there 30's,gawdy sets,an unhappy looking Chris Lee taking the money,Pete Cushing well nuf said,but plenty of eye candy in the shape of Caroline Munro and Stephanie Beacham.Im a fan.

JoshuaKaitlyn 11th September 2013 09:32 PM

The Beast in Space (1980) Whay Hey! Gotta get me a pair of satyr pants!
Love Goddess of the Cannibals (1978) Whay Hey II How is it I never get invited to freaky voodoo do's?
Jack Reacher (2012) Ho Hum really!
Oblivion (2013) Interesting!

Had a 'Shameless Tom Cruise' day....(see what i did there?) Shameless....Tom Cruise :)

ArgentoFan1987 12th September 2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 365048)
I watched Slaughter High (Arrow) last night and apart from the terrible PQ, loved this film in a funny way. The acting was poor, the script even the director admitted was very poor, but there was just a charm to the whole thing that I can't explain..............doubt it will ever get it, but a Blu Ray release would be great.:)

Yeah, it was exactly the same for me. It's definitely one of those films you probably SHOULDN'T like, but there is just something about it that I LOVED!

trebor8273 12th September 2013 09:42 AM

these are some of the movies that been recommended by netflix for me any of these worth watching

the little girl who live down the lane 1974
murder by degree
moon of the wolf
the evictors
murders of the rue morgue 1971
hatchet for the honeymoon
5 dolls for an august moon
killers moon
schizo
crimson color of blood
the angry red planet
creature 1985
unknown origin
breeders
invisible invaders
beast with a million eyes

SCM 12th September 2013 10:05 AM

Watched Wild Wild West yesterday: massive massive regret.

keirarts 12th September 2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 365217)
these are some of the movies that been recommended by netflix for me any of these worth watching

murder by degree
moon of the wolf
the evictors
killers moon
schizo
crimson color of blood
the angry red planet
creature 1985
unknown origin
breeders
invisible invaders

Little girl who lives down the lane, Murder by decree (bob clark film!) The evictors, murders in the Rue morgue, hatchet, 5 dolls, killers moon, Schizo, unknown origin, invisible invaders and beast are all worth watching for different reasons. Dont think i've seen the others... its not a bad selection.

Rondadoronron 12th September 2013 12:10 PM

Incredible Melting Man

Watched Incredible Melting Man,Err melting really,not alot happens he shuffles about dripping every where,occasionally chowing down on odd person,not a bad way to spend some time,I kind of like watching people melt.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-4...L._SL1500_.jpg

Wes 12th September 2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rondadoronron (Post 365241)
Watched Incredible Melting Man,Err melting really,not alot happens he shuffles about dripping every where,occasionally chowing down on odd person,not a bad way to spend some time,I kind of like watching people melt.

Yep, that really sums up that movie. I thought this film was an absolute grind to sit through, it just seemed endless. That's a great Blu sleeve I must say. What's the pic quality like Ron ?

Rondadoronron 12th September 2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 365253)
Yep, that really sums up that movie. I thought this film was an absolute grind to sit through, it just seemed endless. That's a great Blu sleeve I must say. What's the pic quality like Ron ?

Actually excellent,I mean if your gonna watch grinding boredom do it in HI-Def,thats what I say.

Bringer Of Funerals 12th September 2013 01:00 PM

A Fistful Of Dollars, can't beat spaghetti violent fun

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th September 2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 365217)

murder by degree
moon of the wolf
the evictors
killers moon
schizo
crimson color of blood
the angry red planet
creature 1985
unknown origin
breeders
invisible invaders

Go with Breeders, lots of gory fun. It doesn't matter if its the 80's flick or the nineties one. Two completely different films but both fine schlocky fun.

Boo Radley 12th September 2013 05:17 PM

Watched Gozu last night.....
Can anyone tell me what the hell was going on?? :confused:

Make Them Die Slowly 12th September 2013 09:40 PM

More Netflix bollocks-"Tomorrow When the War Began" Oz "Red Dawn" rip off but minus the passion and politics of the 80s flag waver. Truly shit on every level. It's a 12A, as is the recent "Red Dawn" remake which although shite, at least never takes itself too seriously, unlike this stain of a film. So bad is this that I moved up my normal mid film wank break to the end of the first third. And do you know what, I couldn't get it up.

Rondadoronron 12th September 2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 365344)
More Netflix bollocks-"Tomorrow When the War Began" Oz "Red Dawn" rip off but minus the passion and politics of the 80s flag waver. Truly shit on every level. It's a 12A, as is the recent "Red Dawn" remake which although shite, at least never takes itself too seriously, unlike this stain of a film. So bad is this that I moved up my normal mid film wank break to the end of the first third. And do you know what, I couldn't get it up.

Why are you putting yourself thru this,you seem to be on some sadomasochistic film festival,the only one who's suffering is you,are you im torment?

Make Them Die Slowly 12th September 2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rondadoronron (Post 365345)
Why are you putting yourself thru this,you seem to be on some sadomasochistic film festival,the only one who's suffering is you,are you im torment?

I'm working in a paradigm whereby this is a transgressive act against my own beliefs and value systems thus freeing me from self created confines to soar above genre, taste and what little sense I was born with. Sure, I'm not enjoying the films but there is some wild sense of freedom when choosing to watch them that I don't get when picking films from my own unwatched collection.

Rondadoronron 12th September 2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 365351)
I'm working in a paradigm whereby this is a transgressive act against my own beliefs and value systems thus freeing me from self created confines to soar above genre, taste and what little sense I was born with. Sure, I'm not enjoying the films but there is some wild sense of freedom when choosing to watch them that I don't get when picking films from my own unwatched collection.

Thats what I thought.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th September 2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 365351)

He means there's bugger all on telly.

Make Them Die Slowly 12th September 2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 365361)
He means there's bugger all on telly.

You're right Dem, there's not enough buggering on telly.

JoshuaKaitlyn 12th September 2013 10:44 PM

Oasis of Fear (1971) Quite liked this!
Perfume the Story of a Murderer (2006) Caught the ending of this last year on TV and thought 'that looks interesting!' so it went into my lovefilm pile. I was right it was but at 2h 20m a little over long!

keirarts 12th September 2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Radley (Post 365297)
Watched Gozu last night.....
Can anyone tell me what the hell was going on?? :confused:

It's a gay love story between the Yakuza and his boss. He can't admit his feelings so the whole thing is a twisted way of resolving the tension. The 'horror' is the main characters disgust at his own sexual desires.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th September 2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 365391)
It's a gay love story between the Yakuza and his boss. He can't admit his feelings so the whole thing is a twisted way of resolving the tension. The 'horror' is the main characters disgust at his own sexual desires.

It's a fantastic film too (Miike's best in my opinion). I was lucky enough to catch this one on the big screen when it was released.

keirarts 13th September 2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 365400)
It's a fantastic film too (Miike's best in my opinion). I was lucky enough to catch this one on the big screen when it was released.

That would be excellent. Trouble is I live way out in the sticks and our cinema would never show anything like that. I watched it back in the early days of working at Blockbuster when they would stock anything and everything. All the Tartan asia extreme titles came in and I probably rented them all. Ended up buying them when they went pre-owned or saw them cheap and have a shelf full. The Miike films are amongst the best, I love Gozu, Visitor Q, Dead or Alive 1,2,+3, Shinjuku triad society ect....

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th September 2013 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Revolver (1973)

Violent criminals kidnap the wife of prison warden Oliver Reed and demand the release of an inmate (Fabio Testi) in exchange. Reed constructs an elaborate plan to let Testi escape then kidnaps him himself. Testi has no idea whi is trying to free him, nor have the local Mafia Dons who see him as small time.

For seventy minutes Revolver is one of the best Poliziotteschi films of the seventies. Then it all goes wrong. Up until then the story was tight and extremely gripping and was looking like one of the great mismatched buddy films that would take cinema's by storm in the late eighties. However when the action leaves Milan and moves to the French Alps it seems the writer got altitude sickness and just tacked any old convoluted crap onto the last forty five minutes. I felt the main characters played so beautifully up till this point by Reed and Testi lost their focus due to the absurdities of the screen play.

When i came to view this again i couldn't remember a thing about it from my first viewing. I still can't explain what fully happens as i just became bored with it which should never have happened.

At one point i did say to myself "Nice - Thats Bedorca's avatar" .

trebor8273 13th September 2013 01:38 PM

Murder by degree

Absolutely amazing fantastic acting from some of the best, great story and has to be one of the best Sherlock Holmes movies I have seen 10/10

Creature ( Titan find)

Chessy alien rip off but I enjoyed it a lot. 80s cheese at its best, mind while I was watching it I was thinking I wonder if Titan find was on netflex it was not until klaus kinkski and one of the female characters took of all her clothes that I remember this is Titan find 9/10

Rik 13th September 2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 365482)

At one point i did say to myself "Nice - Thats Bedorca's avatar" .

Ah, I've often wondered what film he got that from

Rik 13th September 2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 365526)
Murder by degree

Absolutely amazing fantastic acting from some of the best, great story and has to be one of the best Sherlock Holmes movies I have seen 10/10

I've only ever seen this once, many years ago on TV, I remember enjoying it so I think I'll have to grab a copy sometime

Rondadoronron 13th September 2013 08:55 PM

Taste the Blood of Dracula

Taste the Blood of Dracula.
Question when was Chris Lee ever happy playing Dracula,Answer I don't know but im sure someone some has an opinion on it.At least his scowls and snarls are more authentic because he probably was well pissed of by the 70s,little did he know the cape and fangs were yet to be hung up.
Still a cracking little story of well to do toffs who by day are respectable but at night are snogging trollops,and tippin shampers down there neck,and then evoke Dracula,( don't you just hate it when that happens)
This has a great cast including Linda Hayden,Peter Sallis ,Ralph Bates and
Roy Kinnear and you almost forget Pete Cushing is'nt around.Not the best but not bad,but why do I luv Satanic Rites more than I luv life,WHYYYYY.

mr 420 13th September 2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rondadoronron (Post 365647)
Taste the Blood of Dracula.
Question when was Chris Lee ever happy playing Dracula,Answer I don't know but im sure someone some has an opinion on it.At least his scowls and snarls are more authentic because he probably was well pissed of by the 70s,little did he know the cape and fangs were yet to be hung up.
Still a cracking little story of well to do toffs who by day are respectable but at night are snogging trollops,and tippin shampers down there neck,and then evoke Dracula,( don't you just hate it when that happens)
This has a great cast including Linda Hayden,Peter Sallis ,Ralph Bates and
Roy Kinnear and you almost forget Pete Cushing is'nt around.Not the best but not bad,but why do I luv Satanic Rites more than I luv life,WHYYYYY.

Nice one, Ron. I've got the above and Satantic Rites in my to watch pile. Me thinks it's going to be double-bill time tomorrow night. :pop2:

Rik 13th September 2013 09:53 PM

I love all the Hammer Dracula and Frankenstein films, I often watch more than one in one sitting, usually out of chronological order too, just to **** with the system :tongue1:

mr 420 13th September 2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 365662)
I love all the Hammer Dracula and Frankenstein films, I often watch more than one in one sitting, usually out of chronological order too, just to **** with the system :tongue1:

I know what you mean, Rik. God knows how many times I've watched the double bill of Fankenstein and the Monster from Hell and Vampire Circus. The latter has to be my favourite Hammer out of all of them.

nosferatu42 13th September 2013 10:07 PM

I love 'Vampire circus' too, great little film.:nod:

Rik 13th September 2013 10:11 PM

Yeah, Vampire Circus is a belter :nod:

mr 420 13th September 2013 10:15 PM

That reminds me, I still haven't got the Synapse BD of Circus. I really must pull my finger out.

JoshuaKaitlyn 13th September 2013 10:19 PM

Venus in Furs (1969) Dunno about this one! I was sighing deeply whilst watching this and not because of the nudity either! (although Laura Antonelli is easy on the eye). When it ended I just went Hmm! :mmph:

sjconstable 13th September 2013 10:21 PM

Insidious: Chapter 2 - 2/5

More watchable than The Conjuring, it gets pretty messy in the second half.

SShaw 14th September 2013 12:37 AM

So I am in Oldenburg (just a 30 minute train ride from my flat) for the weekend to experience the Oldenburg Film Festival's 20th instalment.

Tonight I attended the German Premiere (it didn't receive a release first time round) of Bobcat Goldthwait's Sleeping Dogs Lie a quite brilliant and funny look at the whether being absolutely truthful is really the best way to negotiate life. Bobcat, who is the festival jury chairman, was on hand for a Q and A although he had to give it half way through the film to fill time while the projectionist overcame technical problems.

Then I followed it up with a midnight screening of Scar Tissue a new low budget British crime thriller. This was also bedevilled with technical problems (Friday the 13th and all that I guess). While the technicians were able to solve the technical problems they could do nothing for the film which, apart from being beautifully photographed, was a complete mess.

I will try to post more detailed thoughts over on my diary in the gaps between screenings over the weekend.

Tomorrow its second time round for me with Willow Creek, another low budget British film - The List - and the almost unique opportunity to see The Image on the big screen.

nosferatu42 14th September 2013 02:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rain of fire (Holocaust 2000)

Attachment 120238

Strangely i bought 'The Antichrist' a couple of weeks ago on a whim then picked this one up when i suddenly remembered watching it on T.V as a kid.
Both are directed by Alberto De Martino but i was not aware of this at the time, both are scored by the great Ennio Morricone and both are Euro Horror rip offs of classic 70's Horror films. 'The Antichrist' copies 'The Exorcist' whereas this one takes 'The Omen' for inspiration.
Kirk Douglas is an industrialist working on a nuclear power plant that will be constructed in the holy land to attempt to bring an end to famine and energy problems.
He is told of a prophecy that foretells the apocalypse and that his project will bring about the end of the world, sceptical at first he is eventually convinced by the way everyone who tries to stop his work dies in strange circumstances, and realises his son (Simon Ward) is the antichrist.
I thought this film was ok, quite interesting but a little dull, the deaths are not very spectacular and the film needed more tension, this was a shame because with a little more effort it could have been really good.
Some of the ideas and scenes are similar to 'Damien, Omen II' but that is a much better film, one of the deaths is very similar too and i was surprised to learn 'Damien' came out the following year, maybe the makers saw this film and realised what not to do, while still sneakily nicking a few ideas.
On the plus side Kirk Douglas's girlfriend in this is quite cute and has a topless scene.:woot:
On the downside Kirk gets to run about in the nude in a dream sequence.:eek:
The end is quite understated as well and kind of needed a better pay-off.:pop2:

'The Antichrist' is the more entertaining film of the two, i quite enjoyed that one.:nod:

Glad i watched this again after all this time, interesting as a comparison to the 'Omen' films but don't expect too much. 5/10 :pop2:

Make Them Die Slowly 14th September 2013 08:27 AM

TOY SOLIDERS. Ever wondered if Jason Miller's soul went to heaven or hell after killing himself at the end of THE EXCORSIST. Well, wonder no more, he went to hell and here is the proof. Miller is totally unconvincing as an ex armed forces guy for hire who ends up baby sitting a rich girl and her friends as they cruise the coast of central America in her Daddy's boat. Things go bad after an extended boat party in which every one listens to Walkmans whilst grooving out in very short shorts. Following a drunken accident the gang of friends come ashore and into the hands of rebel troops hell bent on looking sleazy and useless. Some mild sexual assault later and party girl and Miller escape leaving her friends behind. Lots of soul searching later, she and Miller fly back to rescue her friends with the aid of her hip black butler, a young Tim Robbins and a geek. With no training and only 36 hours to rescue their friends they do so with machine guns, crap looking explosions and a box of fireworks. Bilge but fun.

SCM 14th September 2013 09:20 AM

Watched Timecop last night. I found it surprisingly decent, Jean Claude Van Damme as usual kicking names and taking ass (or is it the otherway? :tongue1:) and also doing the splits in the kitchen.

demonknight 14th September 2013 03:10 PM

Watched Star Trek Into Darkness on Bluray last night.
Loved every minute of it. Loved Simon Pegg in this one.
Everytime he opened his mouth and spoke (usually something funny)
I laughed out loud. Great action sequences and first rate CGI made
this movie a real standout for me :pop2: