Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th January 2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 388204)
It's posssed or it's got gremlins. Instead of posssed it want to put posted !

You're getting worse Trebor.

Go and have a large Scotch and try again. :lol:

trebor8273 19th January 2014 09:43 PM

Lesson for the day proof read posts. Also think I will take this iPad to see a old priest and a young priest before it gets any worse.

nosferatu42 19th January 2014 10:02 PM

I'd take it off predictive text, never use that stuff. if i make a mistake it's genuine. i also don't like to think of myself as predictable,(but i probably am).
All this time saving stuff kinda cancels itself out if u have to spend ages checking it afterwards.;)

nosferatu42 19th January 2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 388196)
Whats this? Scottish Lovecraft? I recommend you read a post before clicking submit. :tongue1:

I don't think its for tv at all. Have you ever seen so much gore on telly back then?

It doesn't seem made for T.V to me either, i think Dragon is great. I might even watch it later. Did Stuart Gordon make anything as good after? i kind of lost track.:pop2:

Make Them Die Slowly 19th January 2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 388214)
It doesn't seem made for T.V to me either, i think Dragon is great. I might even watch it later. Did Stuart Gordon make anything as good after? i kind of lost track.:pop2:

Did he ever make anything good? One of the most overrated men in horror in my opinion.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th January 2014 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 388216)
Did he ever make anything good? One of the most overrated men in horror in my opinion.

Reanimator's ok. I like From Beyond, Dagon and Space Truckers.

Thats about it.

nosferatu42 19th January 2014 10:22 PM

Re-animator,From Beyond,Dolls and Dagon are all pretty entertaining in my opinion but please yer self MDTS.:)

Make Them Die Slowly 19th January 2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 388219)
Re-animator,From Beyond,Dolls and Dagon are all pretty entertaining in my opinion but please yer self MDTS.:)

Quick re-edit my name whilst Dem's not looking!

nosferatu42 19th January 2014 10:30 PM

OOPs. i was almost right,sort of.;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th January 2014 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 388220)
Quick re-edit my name whilst Dem's not looking!

Thats what you'd be called if Yoda Ron had your username.

nosferatu42 19th January 2014 10:32 PM

Am i gonna be exterminated now, Dem?

nosferatu42 19th January 2014 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 128625;)

nosferatu42 19th January 2014 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 388219)

This is not good coz i'm quoting myself but most of the so called 'masters of horror' have only made a handful of really decent films. (and i know this will be controversial,but what the hell, i've had a few beers and i've got nothing better to do.)
In my opinion Stuart Gordon's not in the top group, but he's still notable. Even if only for Barbara Crampton in 'From Beyond'.:)

anythinggoes78 20th January 2014 07:52 AM

had a bite at some of my DPP list this weekend

Drop Dead Dearest - Didnt really enjoy this film found it to be all over the place one and too much like a tv movie, and an ending that really didnt resolve anything other than the fact i had wasted 80 mins.

Pranks - Not a bad film, but rather obvious the killer wasnt who everyone thought it was, still it had a couple of good moments

Unhinged - this was the better film of the weekend, nice twist at the end even though i had worked it out but it wasnt as blatenty obvious as other films.

Forest of Fear - Ha ha ha oh my good this film was crap a really amature effort that had me nodding off

Night of the demon - I paid £20 for this ??? ah well not quite as bad as forest of fear had a couple of good moments, i think i fell asleep at the end though so dont really know what happened.

Dave Boy 20th January 2014 09:01 AM

Original Hammer Double Bill night

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/0...df41e67e46.jpg

Demoncrat 20th January 2014 11:09 AM

Downtown (JF, 1975). The lure of the growler proved too tempting, must show more will power next time!! :laugh:

The Bank Job (2008, Roger Donaldson). (Lionsgate uk dvd) Set in movie Lahndahn, the Stath cor blimeys it wif 'er from Deep Blue Sea, 'im from All Or Nothing aaaand Peter Bowles says "f*ck" :nod:. Sorted!! Well, more or less...from the writers of Steptoe & Son no less....

Vampire Circus (1972, Robert Young). Synapse dvd. Far more nasty than the version I used to watch on tv "back in the day", this lurid tale of revenge and corruption certainly takes the whole packet of biscuits imho.

The Skull (1965, Freddie Francis). Legend Films dvd. Still as eerie as memory served me, I must get me more of Cushing:nod:. Contains some of the worst snooker playing in a film I've seen in years ahem.

Behind The Green Door (1972, Artie & Jim Mitchell) As I'd always wanted to see this, I watched it after VC & TS. How quaint it seems in these days of gagging and anal intrusion cough....

Demoncrat 20th January 2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anythinggoes78 (Post 388260)
had a bite at some of my DPP list this weekend

Drop Dead Dearest - Didnt really enjoy this film found it to be all over the place one and too much like a tv movie, and an ending that really didnt resolve anything other than the fact i had wasted 80 mins.

Pranks - Not a bad film, but rather obvious the killer wasnt who everyone thought it was, still it had a couple of good moments

Unhinged - this was the better film of the weekend, nice twist at the end even though i had worked it out but it wasnt as blatenty obvious as other films.

Forest of Fear - Ha ha ha oh my good this film was crap a really amature effort that had me nodding off

Night of the demon - I paid £20 for this ??? ah well not quite as bad as forest of fear had a couple of good moments, i think i fell asleep at the end though so dont really know what happened.

Blasphemer!!! £40 would be cheap for NOTD imho. :laugh:;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th January 2014 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
X-Men First Class. (2011)

I'm not the biggest fan of superhero movies, however I really enjoyed this reboot / reimagining / origins story from British director Mathew Vaughn. He really stepped up to the plate after the lacklustre X-Men The Last Stand and Wolverine's solo outing. I don't know what it is about the X-Men series of films but they seem less superhero than the Superman's and Iron Man's of this world. More a conventional thriller or action movie, thus seemingly making them far more realistic. I'm sure most of you saw this a couple of years back so i don't need to go into plot details.

The film had a great cast. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender were superb as young Charles Xavier and Magneto, both actors kept me glued to the screen. The gorgeous January Jones as Emma Frost was a worthy addition to the franchise, especially her sexy costumes..... Cooling off a little, i was delighted to see Rose Byrne from Damages, in a starring role as an FBI agent, added to a nice cameo from Hugh Jackman as Wolverine (**** off) and some nifty special effects. X-Men First Class was a thrilling two hours entertainment.

anythinggoes78 20th January 2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 388283)
Blasphemer!!! £40 would be cheap for NOTD imho. :laugh:;)

if i had of paid £40 like some people are charging i would of been upset ha ha ha

trebor8273 20th January 2014 06:23 PM

Caliber 9

Another blind buy and another film I enjoyed immensely. Great characters, dialogue, music, direction and acting. Fantastic go-go dance. Can't wait to see the other Fernando Di Leo films in the boxset. Not hard to see how these movies influenced tarantino( mind what didn't ). Lesson to be learned from this film bitches can't be trusted. 9.5/10

Next up Cujo which I've never seen.

nosferatu42 20th January 2014 07:16 PM

I quite like Cujo although from what i remember the end is much less heavy than in the book.:pop2:
Wont say anymore coz i don't want to ruin anything.

trebor8273 20th January 2014 08:03 PM

Well finished Cujo and enjoyed it and I thought a dog with rabies could not be terrifying, how wrong I was. The dog had a almost supernatural quality to it, with its great strength and intelligence. 8/10

Change of pace next hanger 18. On a bit of alien conspiracy thing at the moment.

J Harker 21st January 2014 12:25 AM

The Backwoods.
A Spanish/British horror thriller set in (extremely) rural Spain in the late 70's. Gary Oldman and Paddy Considine play friends and apparently former business associates on holiday with their wives to Oldman's recently purchased holiday retreat in the arse end of Spanish nowhere. While out hunting they come across an abandoned farmhouse and find a feral young girl chained up in a padlocked storeroom. They take the girl back to Oldman's gaff and pretty soon (as you'd expect) the local Deliverance boys turn up looking for her. I actually quite enjoyed this terribly flawed film. It's atmospheric and moody. Unfortunately the characters are all made over the shop. Considine's missus is absurdly moody and miserable for no reason that the film can be arsed to explain while Oldman's wife is just plain pointless. There's a lot of heavily implied back story with the characters that again is not expanded upon in the slightest. I'm not sure what it is I enjoyed now thinking about it but I did find it quite watchable.

keirarts 21st January 2014 08:28 AM

Wolf of Wall street.

Leo Dicaprio plays Jordan Belfort in a biopic of his life that comes across as a mixture of Oliver stones wall street and Caligula! Belfort is a cocky, greedy narcissistic little s**t out to make as much money as he can, any way he can. As a result he cottons on to the idea of selling junk bonds (penny shares ect) to wealthy clients at a huge commission and quickly becomes insanely rich. He ropes in a few of his scumbag friends who while terminally brain dead in most respects all seem to have the gift of the gab. Literally in this gig all you really need is to be able to sell stuff and have the moral compass of a hyena.

As the wealth pours in the office begins to resemble the excesses of ancient rome with parades of hookers being brought in for gang bangs, excessive drug consumption, naked marching bands and dwarf tossing.

The film got some stick for its portrayal of excess and its seeming lack of moral center. I would argue that in fact its a very moral picture. The excess is so excessive as to become almost ridiculous and it's hard to imagine anyone but a psychopath actually finding any of these people likable. Scorsese seems to want the viewers outrage to be based on the fact that Belfort pretty much got away with all of that.

Personally I think it was a great film that felt shorter than its 3hr running time. It was nice to see Rob Reiner as Belforts dad and the audience I was sat with all seemed to be into the film.

A word of caution. If the idea of seeing Leo Dicaprio snorting coke out a hookers bum hole with a straw is something that you really don't want to see. Steer well clear!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st January 2014 09:00 AM

I saw The Wolf of Wall Street on Sunday and really enjoyed it due to the terrific performances, brilliant direction, cinematography, editing etc and a screenplay which shows that Jordan Belfort and his colleagues aren't the only greedy people in the process at the people they target with 'get rich quick' offers are equally greedy otherwise they would say no and hang up.

The excesses are truly outrageous with the sheer quantities of drugs, prostitutes and alcohol almost defying belief. At the beginning of the film, he says: "On a daily basis I consume enough drugs to sedate Manhattan, Long Island, and Queens for a month. I take Quaaludes 10-15 times a day for my "back pain", Adderall to stay focused, Xanax to take the edge off, pot to mellow me out, cocaine to wake me back up again, and morphine... Well, because it's awesome."

That gives you an idea of the humour and there were numerous times to outshine when many people in the cinema were laughing out loud. Although it sounds like one film with a three hour running time, the time flew by and that's generally a sign of a good film – bad films frequently feel longer than they really are. I think you will struggle to win Oscars because American Hustle, 12 Years a Slave and Gravity will dominate the field, but this is still well worth seeing. It also, typically for a Martin Scorsese film, has an awesome soundtrack.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st January 2014 09:33 AM

Two very informative reviews for Wolf of Wall Street there.

Nice one Keirarts and Nosferatu.

I definitely want to see this film now.

@Keirarts - As for snorting coke out of a hookers bum? We do it every day round these parts. :shocked:

SCM 21st January 2014 10:02 AM

Over the past few days I have watched:
Return of the Living Dead: For me it is by far one of the funniest zombie movies I have ever seen.
Deadly Outlaw Rekka: Takashi Miike's yakuza film was fantastic, nice soundtrack and a great performance by Riki Takeuchi.
Slither: James Gunn's film was a surprise for me; I assumed it was going to be crap, but it was actually a really good film. Mind you I have a massive love for Nathan Fillion and Michael Rooker as actors.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st January 2014 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 388413)
@Keirarts - As for snorting coke out of a hookers bum? We do it every day round these parts. :shocked:

Sometimes even twice a day. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st January 2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 388425)
Sometimes even twice a day. :nod:

Lucky you!

Just shows how the other half live. :mmph:

Dave Boy 21st January 2014 10:21 AM

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/1...b7e2abf1da.jpg

Thought it was about time to visit Westworld again. Great film. I always think about which resort out of Westword, Roman World or Medievel World would be the most enjoyable.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st January 2014 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Victim. (2011)

Michael Biehn's directorial debut is marketed as a piece of grindhouse cinema, and to me it actually lives up to its billing. There are no missing reels or fake scratches on the film, always a sign of film makers thinking they understand what makes grindhouse cinema yet they are so wrong. What we get with The Victim is a tense, scuzzy, gratuitous, occasionally nasty, fast moving slice of exploitation with an edgy, twisty turny plot that keeps you interested.

The story involving a stripper who witnesses the murder of her friend by two police officers in the woods, eventually hiding out at Michael Biehn's isolated cottage to escape from them, is nothing new to the genre, but it's made with an infectious enthusiasm from all involved. For a first stab at the directing lark Biehn does well in my opinion. It's not perfect by any means, a driving scene is overlong for example, perhaps too many flashbacks, and a twist too many, but he manages to create an intense atmosphere and provide the viewer with a, for want of a better word, roller coaster ride of terror, sex and revenge on a minimal budget and small cast of mainly four people.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st January 2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 388442)
The Victim. (2011)

Thanks for the review and recommendation – another for the Lovefilm rental queue!

Demoncrat 21st January 2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 388281)
Downtown (JF, 1975). The lure of the growler proved too tempting, must show more will power next time!! :laugh:

The Bank Job (2008, Roger Donaldson). (Lionsgate uk dvd) Set in movie Lahndahn, the Stath cor blimeys it wif 'er from Deep Blue Sea, 'im from All Or Nothing aaaand Peter Bowles says "f*ck" :nod:. Sorted!! Well, more or less...from the writers of Steptoe & Son no less....

Vampire Circus (1972, Robert Young). Synapse dvd. Far more nasty than the version I used to watch on tv "back in the day", this lurid tale of revenge and corruption certainly takes the whole packet of biscuits imho.

The Skull (1965, Freddie Francis). Legend Films dvd. Still as eerie as memory served me, I must get me more of Cushing:nod:. Contains some of the worst snooker playing in a film I've seen in years ahem.

Behind The Green Door (1972, Artie & Jim Mitchell) As I'd always wanted to see this, I watched it after VC & TS. How quaint it seems in these days of gagging and anal intrusion cough....

Aaaand of course Clement & La Frenais DIDNT write S&S Cough

Bloody Merlot ahem.

Maxsimmus 21st January 2014 05:01 PM

Watched You're Next last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, some pretty strong violence on show too!

J Harker 21st January 2014 06:14 PM

Watched World War Z last night. Brad Pitt is a UN investigator sent out to find the source (and hopefully a cure for) a zombie plague that has swept the planet.
Not a bad film with some nice effects involving hundreds of zombies uniting to achieve feats such as scaling massive walls and dragging down helicopters.
Something was missing though, not sure what. Some more gore wouldn't have gone amiss but I don't think that's necessarily the problem. Still an enjoyable film with some real spectacle for a zombie film.

Linbro 21st January 2014 09:25 PM

Finished S1 of 'Breaking Bad', halfway through S2. Amazing show so far, though some eps have been very hard to watch - lost my dad to cancer a couple of years ago, he was only 62.
Probably pause after S2 and get through some more films from my pile. Also have some more TV series to watch - Broadchurch, The Returned and Black Mirror.

J Harker 21st January 2014 10:26 PM

Tonight I watched Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive.
Really great film that just oozes cool, from it's stylish 80's feel to the sudden bursts of drastic violence to the awesome soundtrack.
And Ryan Gosling surprised the hell out of me with his awesome performance, as did Albert Brooks.
The only other film I've seen of Refn's is Valhalla Rising which while ok didn't really make me crave more of his work, so I was a little indifferent going in, but Drive is great and now I do want to get hold of Only God Forgives.

Make Them Die Slowly 21st January 2014 10:36 PM

Just watched 3 Frankie Boyle stand up shows in a row. Very funny mix of social comment, filth and stuff to frighten the average Joe.

Linbro 22nd January 2014 07:03 AM

'The Burning', Scream Factory blu.
Looks great, for a low budget 80's slasher. Really enjoyed it and, along with Black Christmas and Halloween, the only slasher with re-watch value (for me). Acting is really good and natural, for the majority, and the raft/canoe kill scene is still pretty outrageous - in a good way. Some good extras too, the short interview with Leah Ayres was nice - I like hearing from actors who had a good time making horror films, and don't try to disown them.

Dave Boy 22nd January 2014 09:32 AM

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/b...ca0ba15b00.jpg

Bela Lugosi is up to no good, having his brutish assistant murder people for their insurance money. Good fun. One of the films that Bela made here in England.