Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

applecore 16th January 2014 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 387616)
I've been hearing a lot of negative things about this film.

It was different to the usual Stiller fare, which was refreshing. Absolutely no slapstick or crude humour, just a decent story with some nice photography, etc.

trebor8273 16th January 2014 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Translavania 6-5000

Story about two newspaper reports (Jeff goldblum and Ed begley jr)who are sent to translavania to look into reports of Frankenstein. We have stars such as Jeffery jones ( Howard the duck, ferris bullers day off) and a young Michel Richards ( Kramer from Seinfeld ). But for the most it's unfunny and a lot of the jokes fall flat and cast really don't seem to be enjoying themselves and it has to have the worst looking wolfman ever, only real highlight is Geena Davis as a female vampire. 5/10

Night train to terror

On a train with have satan and god who are fighting for souls of people in three stories. Also on the train we have a godawful band who sing the same song after each story and who don't know that there fate is also being decided

First story is about a man after a car accident wakes up in a sanatorium and is made to kill young woman using a drug, this was probably my least favorite story, but it did have a good amount of gore and nudity.

Second story. About a young man who falls in love with a young woman who is under the control of a older man, the older man grows jeoulse as they fall in love , along the way they join a sort of death club where the members play Russian roulette type games.

Third story. Is about nazis and the antichrist, I enjoyed this one and the actor playing the antichrist was very disturbing, but like all the other stories it's very disjointed and confusing as they are taking from longer films which have been cut down . Will be interesting to see if I can find full versions of them. 7/10

Now watching Wilard and it's brilliant from what I have watched, worth a lot more than the penny I paid for it.

Frankie Teardrop 16th January 2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 387706)
Translavania 6-5000

Story about two newspaper reports (Jeff goldblum and Ed begley jr)who are sent to translavania to look into reports of Frankenstein. We have stars such as Jeffery jones ( Howard the duck, ferris bullers day off) and a young Michel Richards ( Kramer from Seinfeld ). But for the most it's unfunny and a lot of the jokes fall flat and cast really don't seem to be enjoying themselves and it has to have the worst looking wolfman ever, only real highlight is Geena Davis as a female vampire. 5/10

Night train to terror

On a train with have satan and god who are fighting for souls of people in three stories. Also on the train we have a godawful band who sing the same song after each story and who don't know that there fate is also being decided

First story is about a man after a car accident wakes up in a sanatorium and is made to kill young woman using a drug, this was probably my least favorite story, but it did have a good amount of gore and nudity.

Second story. About a young man who falls in love with a young woman who is under the control of a older man, the older man grows jeoulse as they fall in love , along the way they join a sort of death club where the members play Russian roulette type games.

Third story. Is about nazis and the antichrist, I enjoyed this one and the actor playing the antichrist was very disturbing, but like all the other stories it's very disjointed and confusing as they are taking from longer films which have been cut down . Will be interesting to see if I can find full versions of them. 7/10

Now watching Wilard and it's brilliant from what I have watched, worth a lot more than the penny I paid for it.

'Night Train to Terror' is one of my guilty faves for sheer schlocky disjointedness, but 'The Death Wish Club', which forms the basis of the second segment, is a really great lost cult film from the eighties, one which strangely resonates with echoes of David Lynch before his style and preoccupations had fully evolved. I assume you have the newish Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray, in which you can see 'The Death Wish Club' under its original title 'Gretta' on the dvd included. PQ isn't great, but it's really worth watching.

keirarts 16th January 2014 10:45 PM

Just been to see the latest paranormal activity film.

Hmmmm

If you like the pa films its worth a look as its certainly better than the fourth one. However if the glut of found footage horror has become dull then this does little new.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th January 2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Translavania 6-5000

I first saw this a couple of years ago and it did absolutely nothing for me. Like you Geena Davis' costume was the best thing about it.

I gave it another go last year and loved it. The jokes improved and i got into the characters. In short when you know what to expect you may get more out of it.

The only reason i bought it was because it was a double disc set along with Elvira Mistress of the Dark.

Susan Foreman 17th January 2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 387768)
The only reason i bought it was because it was a double disc set along with Elvira Mistress of the Dark.

Doesn't Elvira have a double set of her own?

No - I meant 'Mistress of the Dark' and 'Haunted Hills'!

Demoncrat 17th January 2014 01:07 PM

Machete Kills. As with the last sequel that I spoke about, this is far more OTT than the first, would have been my film of 2013 if I'd gotten round to catching it sooner!!!

anythinggoes78 17th January 2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 387792)
Machete Kills. As with the last sequel that I spoke about, this is far more OTT than the first, would have been my film of 2013 if I'd gotten round to catching it sooner!!!

A bit too OTT at times i felt, still loved it, not sure ill like Machette Kills in Space though

bdc 17th January 2014 06:33 PM

Quote:

Night train to terror

The third story has several full versions but : My favourite version can be found on this box set (as The Nightmare Never Ends),pic quality is ok and the best available for now I think.

Troma Triple B-Header, Vol. 4: The Nightmare Never Ends Collection

http://dv1.us/p1/690/052690-d0.jpg

demonknight 17th January 2014 06:37 PM

Final Destination 3 - not as bad as I remembered, definitely watchable :)

trebor8273 17th January 2014 07:15 PM

Willard
Really enjoyed this one which is down to crispin glovers performance as Willard, a outsider with no friends, a boss who loves to humiliate him, this all changes when he finds out he can communicate with rats, Glover gives us a performance in which gives us a sympathetic and likeable character who you route for. Glen Morgan of x files fame is the writer/ director and we have a little nod to the show in the form of a ginger pussy called Scully. 9/10

Dr mordrid

Another one I enjoyed, ok it's not going to win any awards but a great performance from the underrated Jeffery combs as usual. Was going to be a dr strange movie, would of been interesting to see what that would of been like. Also it could of made a very good tv series. 8.5/10

Well next up my first viewing of hellgate

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th January 2014 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Deranged (2012).

I didn't dislike this Spanish set British horror movie. However it is difficult to recommend as i found myself groaning at some of the set ups and thought on the whole, the four girls holding the film together to be fairly unlikable.

I found it to be one of the rare films that i could guess plot developments fifteen minutes before they came to fruition, which to some is the sign of a poor film but somewhat of a novelty to me.

The film co-stars Brit film icon Craig Fairbrass. Hmm! I wonder who the killer could be?

Still after all this, i know i'll probably watch it again at some point because although there is so much better out there, there is also so a heck of a lot worse.

trebor8273 17th January 2014 07:50 PM

I think there is something wrong with me I'm enjoying hellgate. :lol:

Make Them Die Slowly 17th January 2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 387929)
I think there is something wrong with me I'm enjoying hellgate. :lol:

There sure is, coughTCM2cough.:tongue1:

SShaw 18th January 2014 09:55 AM

Iron Sky: The Dictator cut on German blu which adds around 20 minutes of fun to an already enjoyable movie.

I also found time for Demons and the Time Bandits as part of my continuing Project to watch all of my Arrow releases in the first half of 2014.

Zann 18th January 2014 10:17 AM

Boardwalk Empire I-III

Over Xmas & NY. I don't think I'll ever enjoy and rewatch a TV series as much as The Sopranos but nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed this, it has a lot going for it and is pretty dark, twisted and humourless compared to The Sopranos.

Strong points for me are the character Richard Harrow and the build up and uncovering of the sickening dynamic between Jimmy Darmody, Gillian Darmody and Commodore Louis Kaestner.

Roll on BD release of season 4.

trebor8273 18th January 2014 07:57 PM

Gremlins

Thought I would give this a watch while there is still a little Christmas spirt left. Another favourite childhood film of mine, a 80s classic and even for all it's violence I still find it a very festive movie. For those who might not know the town square in this is the same one used in back to the future. Very nice looking steelbook 10/10

Hellgate

Not hard to see why this is disliked so much, awful dialogue, bad acting and a confusing story, but it's also very eerie in places and dispite all it's problems I found myself enjoying it and will be getting more viewings. 7/10

Enter the ninja

After completing his training as a ninja frank Nero goes and visits a old war buddy , were he ends up battling Christopher George's ( City of the living dead , the exterminator) camp villains, henchmen when George he finds that his men are next to useless against our ninja, he hires a ninja of his own to take care of him, this ninja turns out to be a rival of Nero's. A enjoyable 80s movie, which only could of been made in the 80s. A whole lot of fun. 8/10

Next up the sentinel

keirarts 18th January 2014 08:25 PM

COP.

A short break in the WIRE marathon to check out this excellent little thriller with James Woods based on the James Ellroy novel Blood on the moon.

Woods plays the almost typical Ellroy cop. A man who is many shades of gray. He's a loving father who sits and recounts the daily horrors of his job to his little girl in order to protect her from going down the wrong path from being disillusioned. He's dirty but not outright evil, more a bastard who is looking to get the job done however he can.

He begins tracking a serial killer who has been stalking LA undetected for many years killing women in some fairly brutal ways. We don't get any on screen slayings but the director certainly does not spare the audience the grisly aftermath either. Even after his murky and disreputable behavior gets him suspended he still continues to track the killer.

COP is an excellent noir-ish tale set in the seedy underbelly of LA. Ellroy's story's can make great cinema when done right and this is one of those examples. Woods is superb in the central role and we also get a great turn from Charles Durning as well.

It's a bit dear at the minute, but seeing as it was an MGM release here's hoping it gets a HD upgrade. Either way, if you get the chance check this one out.

Sam 18th January 2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 388088)
COP.

A short break in the WIRE marathon to check out this excellent little thriller with James Woods based on the James Ellroy novel Blood on the moon.

Woods plays the almost typical Ellroy cop. A man who is many shades of gray. He's a loving father who sits and recounts the daily horrors of his job to his little girl in order to protect her from going down the wrong path from being disillusioned. He's dirty but not outright evil, more a bastard who is looking to get the job done however he can.

He begins tracking a serial killer who has been stalking LA undetected for many years killing women in some fairly brutal ways. We don't get any on screen slayings but the director certainly does not spare the audience the grisly aftermath either. Even after his murky and disreputable behavior gets him suspended he still continues to track the killer.

COP is an excellent noir-ish tale set in the seedy underbelly of LA. Ellroy's story's can make great cinema when done right and this is one of those examples. Woods is superb in the central role and we also get a great turn from Charles Durning as well.

It's a bit dear at the minute, but seeing as it was an MGM release here's hoping it gets a HD upgrade. Either way, if you get the chance check this one out.

Picked this up this week from HMV for 1.50 in their 70% off sale. Sounds great from your review so might nudge it up towards the top of the 'to watch' pile

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

oaxaca 18th January 2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 388088)
COP.

COP is an 80's masterpiece... one of James Woods' best! I'd also recommend BEST SELLER to any fans of COP out there, its not as good but its close, and Wood's is on top form again :nod:

applecore 18th January 2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 387921)
Willard
Really enjoyed this one which is down to crispin glovers performance as Willard, a outsider with no friends, a boss who loves to humiliate him, this all changes when he finds out he can communicate with rats, Glover gives us a performance in which gives us a sympathetic and likeable character who you route for. Glen Morgan of x files fame is the writer/ director and we have a little nod to the show in the form of a ginger pussy called Scully. 9/10

I loved Willard. I had a pet rat growing up so certain bits of that film really got me. Crispin Glover is excellent too. Such a bizarre bloke.

trebor8273 18th January 2014 09:44 PM

The sentinel

Have to agree with nearly everything dem said in there review. A truly chilling and unsettling film, if I had watched this one I was a child I would be scared shitless and would not be able to sleep for the next few nights and even watching it as a adult makes me feel uneasy, a great cast only downside that their are so many great characters/ actors they get little screen time to be fully developed.

Will definitely be upgrading to blu ray, I know there is a German version but it is a bit expensive and will wait for someone to bring out a cheaper version. Shame Winner didn't make more horrors. 9.5/10

keirarts 18th January 2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 388096)
The sentinel

Have to agree with nearly everything dem said in there review. A truly chilling and unsettling film, if I had watched this one I was a child I would be scared shitless and would not be able to sleep for the next few nights and even watching it as a adult makes me feel uneasy, a great cast only downside that their are so many great characters/ actors they get little screen time to be fully developed.

Will definitely be upgrading to blu ray, I know there is a German version but it is a bit expensive and will wait for someone to bring out a cheaper version. Shame Winner didn't make more horrors. 9.5/10

With the sentinel, stick to any version with the Winner commentary track. Its amazing stuff. Easily as entertaining as the film.

trebor8273 18th January 2014 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 388099)
With the sentinel, stick to any version with the Winner commentary track. Its amazing stuff. Easily as entertaining as the film.

Will have to listen to it at some point

keirarts 19th January 2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 388089)
Picked this up this week from HMV for 1.50 in their 70% off sale. Sounds great from your review so might nudge it up towards the top of the 'to watch' pile

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Bargain!

I got mine on 99p bogof at cash gen. Looked it up on amazon and the price is surprisingly high.

keirarts 19th January 2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 388100)
Will have to listen to it at some point

It's full of Winner's anecdotes and as is typical of Winner lacks self censorship. As a result it made me chuckle and was genuinely fin to listen to.

SShaw 19th January 2014 01:33 PM

Off to Bristol for the week in a few minutes so this is likely to be my last update until next weekend.

Hell comes to Frogtown was exactly as I recalled. Piper improved dramatically by the time he worked with Carpenter. Here he is awful, but somehow, in spite of this, the movie manages to be enjoyable if rather average.

Bounty Killer I skipped this at Fantasia in favour of other things and after watching it on German blu-ray I have to say I am glad I did. It really has nothing to offer. A simple plot that manages to be predictable and completely senseless at the same time, dialogue that would shame even George Lucas, lead actors who while looking nice have no discernible acting talent surrounded by a supporting cast who its difficult to believe have ever appeared on camera before. This is bad cinema done badly. But it will appeal to you if you get off on attractive women shooting stuff with guns.

Now Wolf of Wall Street is a completely different kettle of fish. It is not clear how serious this movie is, but if taken as a cartoon of the stock-broker culture it works perfectly. Di Caprio gives a surprising good comic performance but lacks any subtlety. His is an exuberant over the top scenery munching performance, think Jack Nicholson as the Joker. And id therefore likely to win favour with the academy award voters who seem to lack all critical faculty and can only spot a good performance if the actor jumps up and down shouting "look at me I'm acting". This is a thoroughly enjoyable film and if you don't mind watching foul mouthed debauchery is highly recommended.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th January 2014 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fade to Black. (1980)

Fade to Black is a fantastic paen to all things Hollywood. Lovingly put together, the film brilliantly incorporates classic clips and soundbytes, not to mention enough movie quiz questions to keep your brain whirring throughout, and combines it all into a hugely fun horror escapade about a down on his luck movie fan and his love for a Marilyn Monroe lookalike.

The film makers clearly had a blast making Fade to Black, i'm sure it was a dream come true for lead Dennis Christopher who got to play many classic people and characters from Hollywood gone by, not to mention a thrilling climax atop Grauman's Chinese Theatre in the centre of Tinseltown. A special mention must go to Linda Kerridge who's impersonation of Monroe was at times uncanny, and got to thrill fans like me by having a shower scene that quite marvelously transformed into what is possibly the most famous scene in horror cinema.

Indeed the whole film was a treat for people like me who would prefer to watch a James Cagney or Marilyn Monroe film rather than the likes of Man of Steel ,Pacific Rim and other modern invaders of our multiplexes.

I'm sure some could analyse Fade to Black forevermore, but i'm just typing as i saw it as a first time viewing. A comically, brutal love letter to the glitter and glamour of Hollywood. I loved it.

And as for Mickey Rourke who professed to love Casablanca so much yet didn't know Rick's surname.... he deserved to die!

Make Them Die Slowly 19th January 2014 02:20 PM

CHILDREN OF THE CORN V. Eva Mendes' gusset, various Zappa children, the weird Arquette brother playing normal, Grasshopper's head splitting open and loads of fairly good violence. I quite liked it.

trebor8273 19th January 2014 03:45 PM

Hell comes to frogtown

Didn't enjoy this half as much as I thought it would, at best it was average all the characters didn't seem do interesting and didn't really care for any of them, the frogs themselves were probably the only highlight. 5/10

Vigilante

Not what I was expecting, was expecting something like death wish, in some ways it is but it doesn't have the level of shocking violence that death wish did(apart from the boys killing) and at the ending felt rushed and there was a lot more that could of happened. 7/10

Next up the haunted palace

J Harker 19th January 2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 388153)
Hell comes to frogtown

Didn't enjoy this half as much as I thought it would, at best it was average all the characters didn't seem do interesting and didn't really care for any of them, the frogs themselves were probably the only highlight. 5/10

Vigilante

Not what I was expecting, was expecting something like death wish, in some ways it is but it doesn't have the level of shocking violence that death wish did(apart from the boys killing) and at the ending felt rushed and there was a lot more that could of happened. 7/10

Next up the haunted palace

Fella you don't half get through your film watching. Jealous.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Make Them Die Slowly 19th January 2014 05:33 PM

PROJECT X. Teen comedy that plays it straight. It has a strange vibe that is half "The Inbetweeners" and half "Superbad" but without the belly laughs. I quite enjoyed it, especially the last third of the film where it switches up a gear and goes crazy.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th January 2014 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters. (2013)

Hansel and Gretel have turned pro. Coping with the trauma of their childhood captivity in the gingerbread house by slaying witches for bounty. Things take a turn for the worse with the appearance of the grand witch Muriel.

Anyone who has any idea of where my username comes from will know i like a bit of wicked witchery. So when a film comes along that has leather clad witches on broomsticks, lead by Famke Janssen, attacking a village from the air then i'm in witch heaven.

Seriously, did you read that properly? Leather clad witches on broomsticks attacking a village.... How awesome is that?

Fortunately Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters delivers on all counts, not just the previously mentioned scenes. Its a good old fashioned medieval romp full of folklore and superstition with just the right blend of action which thankfully doesn't rely completely on CGI for its thrills. Added to this is a nice layer of humour, mainly in the dialogue, rather than other methods such as pointless comedy characters, in fact some of the conversation was laugh out loud funny, especially the choice use of expletives.

The film stars Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton as the titular characters and both do a fine job. Arterton in particular seemed to revel in the madness, be it getting kicked to shit by thugs or headbutting Peter Stormare's sherrif in her opening scenes. The film was directed by Tommy Wirkola, he of Dead Snow, and Wirkola uses similar elements of gore and fun to make Hansel and Gretel a lot more of an entertaining ride than it could have been.

demonknight 19th January 2014 07:19 PM

Boogeyman 2;

Few minutes into this and I was hit with the realization that this movie is a remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street 3. Later on I could see Halloween II and the Creepshow segment 'They're Creeping Up On You'. B2 was the unrated director's cut and feature a fair amount of gore and bloodshed. Not bad, but you get the feeling early on that you've seen it all before :pout:

Make Them Die Slowly 19th January 2014 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 388168)
Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters. (2013)

Hansel and Gretel have turned pro. Coping with the trauma of their childhood captivity in the gingerbread house by slaying witches for bounty. Things take a turn for the worse with the appearance of the grand witch Muriel.

Anyone who has any idea of where my username comes from will know i like a bit of wicked witchery. So when a film comes along that has leather clad witches on broomsticks, lead by Famke Janssen, attacking a village from the air then i'm in witch heaven.

Seriously, did you read that properly? Leather clad witches on broomsticks attacking a village.... How awesome is that?

Fortunately Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters delivers on all counts, not just the previously mentioned scenes. Its a good old fashioned medieval romp full of folklore and superstition with just the right blend of action which thankfully doesn't rely completely on CGI for its thrills. Added to this is a nice layer of humour, mainly in the dialogue, rather than other methods such as pointless comedy characters, in fact some of the conversation was laugh out loud funny, especially the choice use of expletives.

The film stars Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton as the titular characters and both do a fine job. Arterton in particular seemed to revel in the madness, be it getting kicked to shit by thugs or headbutting Peter Stormare's sherrif in her opening scenes. The film was directed by Tommy Wirkola, he of Dead Snow, and Wirkola uses similar elements of gore and fun to make Hansel and Gretel a lot more of an entertaining ride than it could have been.

Nice review Dem.

trebor8273 19th January 2014 08:21 PM

The haunted palace

Not seen this one before, partly based on lovecrafts the case of Charles Dexter Ward, what we have is a very atmospheric film with a good cast including horror legends Lon Chaney jr and Vincent Price. Always surprised how much atmosphere etc roger corman got out of the small budgets of these movies. 9/10

Dagon

based on shadow over innsmouth and not Dagon , the story is transported to mordern Spain, found this to be a very atmospheric lovecraft tale transported to the screen. it's obvious that it's made for TV in some areas eg really poor cgi at times but has some decent acting and as said before very atmospheric and captures the spirt of the authors work and the cthulhu mythos, long time since I've read any lovecraft and after these two I will start reading his works, especially to see how these two movies compare to the writings. 8.5/10

Next up the first movie in the Fernando Di Leo crime collection , Caliber nine

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th January 2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 388184)

Dagon

based on shadow over innsmouth and not Dagon , the story is transported to mordern Spain, found this to be a very atmospheric lovecraft tale transported to the screen it's obvious that it's macthulhu mythosde for TV in some areas eg really poor cgi at times but has some decent acting and as said before very atmospheric and captures the spirt of the authors work and the cthulhu mythos, long time since I've read any lovecraft and after these two I will start reading his works, especially to see how these two movies compare to the writings. 8.5/10

Whats this? Scottish Lovecraft? I recommend you read a post before clicking submit. :tongue1:

I don't think its for tv at all. Have you ever seen so much gore on telly back then?

trebor8273 19th January 2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 388196)
Whats this? Scottish Lovecraft? I recommend you read a post before clicking submit. :tongue1:

I don't think its for tv at all. Have you ever seen so much gore on telly back then?

I really do need proof read, this stupid iPad has a mind of its own it replaces words with gobbledygook. Don't why I thought it was made for TV .

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th January 2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 388198)
I really need top proof read, .

:pound: You don't say. :lol:

trebor8273 19th January 2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 388201)
:pound: You don't say. :lol:

It's posssed or it's got gremlins. Instead of possessed it want to put posted ! See it's but posssed instead of possessed!!!!