Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 11th June 2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 346497)
"The Dark Power"
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TA9GdraOXm.../darkpower.jpg
I started disliking this movie long before the first death, an old Native American, right at the start, whose peaceful, natural death kicks off the series of murders by Zombie Toltec Sorcerers... eventually. -8/10 for story and acting and another -2/10 for old guy Lash LaRue, the whipman!
"The Goatman Murders"
http://static2.thcdn.com/productimg/...457-537938.jpg
A.K.A. "Deadly Detour"
http://c3.cduniverse.ws/resized/250x...46/8710746.jpg

If you see "The Goatman Murders in Asda for £3 and buy it, you've just paid £2.75 too much. Only good to put on when there are 4 or 5 of you and you're all smashed and ready for a gory laugh. It's a complete waste of eyeball time if you're alone.

Nice to see another TDP fan here. I think??;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th June 2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 346507)
No just some inbred in dungarees. Lots of gore and guts, some good deads, a bit of sex and a false ginger circumcised penis having a pee, at least I hope it was false or he had some weird fun-fur pubic hair! :fear:

Sold!

Seriously, it sounds great. :nod:

troggi 11th June 2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 346549)
Sold!

Seriously, it sounds great. :nod:

ENJOY ... er! I think. Yeah, enjoy it, you're obviously sick enough so I won't spoil the ending for you! :)

SShaw 11th June 2013 07:40 PM

Django Unchained (UK Blu) - if anything I appreciated this even more second time round - excellent!

Zann 11th June 2013 07:57 PM

A Lizard in a Woman's Skin

Fulci's masterful red herring laden giallo. Optimum did a great job with this DVD. Features some of the best music in any of Fulci's movies too in my opinion :nod:

re.form 11th June 2013 09:35 PM

A Good Day to Die Hard

Good God Almighty. Not only does Bruce Willis looked bored, he looks embarrassed to be there. He puts no effort into even speaking his lines. It's hard to enjoy a movie where the main actor looks like he's been dragged to the set after being blackmailed to show up. The action scenes look expensive but have no weight due to the complete lack of interesting antagonists. Why set a Die Hard movie in Russia anyway?

I don't usually moan about brainless Hollywood action movie's - but this is Die Hard -- these movie's weren't always brainless, they we're interesting things going on earlier in the franchise, melded with great gung-ho action. This is the 'AvP Requiem' of this franchise.

A short film about killing.

Hits you in the guts as it offers no explanation, and that's the point. One of those films that I find hard to review, as I'm not clever enough. All I can is that it wasn't the killer or the victim I felt the most sorry for - it was actually the young lawyer who saw his hope and dreams get crushed that had the biggest impact on me.

Life of Pi

Best looking film of recent times? Probably. Ang Lee doesn't mess around when it comes to visuals, does he? Gorgeous throughout. I'm not religious, but this made me think == without being made to think I was being preached at. Great stuff. Richard Parker's behaviour at the end must have made little kids in the audience cry. Animals, eh? :)

Nordicdusk 11th June 2013 10:53 PM

You really made that Goatman film sound fantastic. Expect it to pop up alot in peoples pick ups posts :lol:

It will be in mine soon too :pop2:

troggi 11th June 2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 346640)
You really made that Goatman film sound fantastic. Expect it to pop up alot in peoples pick ups posts :lol:

"Buyer beware" at £3 in Asda y' can't go wrong. It is very sick, gore and blood drenched and the end sequence...

The whole film did have me laughing...a lot (except the ginger penis, that was just, er, just...unjust)!

:decision::laugh::blush::peep::crazy:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 12th June 2013 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 346618)
A Lizard in a Woman's Skin

Fulci's masterful red herring laden giallo. Optimum did a great job with this DVD. Features some of the best music in any of Fulci's movies too in my opinion :nod:

My favourite Fulci film. :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th June 2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 346651)
My favourite Fulci film. :nod:

My favourite of his is Zombie Flesh Eaters, but Lizard in a Woman's Skin is probably his best.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th June 2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 346640)

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 346643)
"Buyer beware" at £3 in Asda y' can't go wrong. It is very sick, gore and blood drenched and the end sequence...

The whole film did have me laughing...a lot (except the ginger penis, that was just, er, just...unjust)!

:decision::laugh::blush::peep::crazy:

I picked this up today.

The Amazon reviews are brilliant. They loathe it. People are up in arms because the killer slaughters a bus load of blind folk.

Can't wait to watch it this weekend.

This is why i avoid looking at dvd's in Asda.

The lower reaches of the chart are populated by unknown horror films, fancily dressed in their slip cases, some even with lenticular sleeves, and all at stupidly affordable prices.

I'm a sucker for this kind of thing. :doh: :o :mmph:

Nordicdusk 12th June 2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 346709)
I picked this up today.

The Amazon reviews are brilliant. They loathe it. People are up in arms because the killer slaughters a bus load of blind folk.

The lower reaches of the chart are populated by unknown horror films, fancily dressed in their slip cases, some even with lenticular sleeves, and all at stupidly affordable prices.

Please do a review as soon as you watch this sounds great.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th June 2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 346711)
Please do a review as soon as you watch this sounds great.

Will do.

PaulD 12th June 2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

I know, it's like there's an odd little market for this sort of thing

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th June 2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 346714)
I know, it's like there's an odd little market for this sort of thing

They are soooo tempting as well.

I managed to escape with just two, the other being the latest Resident Evil film which i didn't know had a slipcase.

I need to check out some reviews for a few of the others i noticed there.

keirarts 12th June 2013 05:44 PM

i'm quite tempted to start a review page entirely for the cheapjack straight to home video shite thats on the shelves at asda...

nosferatu42 12th June 2013 06:20 PM

Do it now, we all need to know about those films that look shite but are worth watching (coming from a big fan of 70's & 80's horror who sat through so much shite to get that 1 good film). I'm not very up 2 date with new stuff so need a recommendation 4 the new stuff that's worth watching. :pop2:

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th June 2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 346726)
i'm quite tempted to start a review page entirely for the cheapjack straight to home video shite thats on the shelves at asda...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 346731)
Do it now, we all need to know about those films that look shite but are worth watching (coming from a big fan of 70's & 80's horror who sat through so much shite to get that 1 good film). I'm not very up 2 date with new stuff so need a recommendation 4 the new stuff that's worth watching. :pop2:

Yes please. :nod:

100%

It would be the best thing on here at the moment. :woot:

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th June 2013 06:46 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Being a bit of a sucker for cheap and chearful horror i thought i'd let you know about Blood Bath. A 12 movie collection from Mill Creek.

Being a fan of westerns and seeing this film starred the great character actor from classic American westerns Jack Elam i thought i'd start off with Uninvited (1993). The film begins with seven cowboy types being lead through a forest by their guide, a very grizzled looking Elam. This sequence played out during the opening credits, at the end Jack decided he wanted no more and that was the last we saw of him - three minutes. The film itself is set around a haunted gold mine apparently, but Uninvited turned into a very dull character study played out by bad actors using an even worse script. The production values were ok but very little happened and there's no way i'll be watching it again.

Tom Savini came next with Demonic (2006). Some teens leave London to take a break in the country but find themselves menaced by bloodthirsty creatures in the forests. Being British, the film isn't populated by American high school stereotypes which came as a blessing. In fact the whole opening third was pretty enjoyable. Then came darkness and the horror. I hate horror films which have you constantly staring at a black screen for what seems like ages. Demonic unfortunately excelled at this. When Savini is introduced as the local back woods psychopath his scenes are so poorly lit you wouldn't know it was him. The film soon becomes very boring as watching a black tv screen and listening to screaming soon becomes very repetitive.

My hopes were not particularly high for Hallowed (2006). A cheap rip off from a certain John Carpenter film. Witnessing his father murder his mother causes ten year old Gabriel to lose his sanity and be institutionalized. Twenty years later, he's released into society much to the annoyance of his Doctor. Hallowed is actually a very good film. Clocking in at around the sixty five minute mark it never outstays its welcome and remains fairly interesting throughout. Gabriel as an adult is a sinister Bible thumping young man who decides a local girl should learn religion the nut bag killer way. The acting and camera work is very good for a very low budget film keeping the characters believable and sustaining tension. Despite being a cheaper production than the first two i watched, Hallowed proved a far more satisfying viewing experience.

Haunting of Rebecca Verlaine (2003) A German production from the notorious Olaf Ittenbach. A director who makes his fellow countryman Uwe Boll seem like David Fincher. Whilst a slight step down from Hallowed, Haunting of Rebecca Verlaine still proved an enjoyable watch. The production values were higher than the previous three films combimned i would guess. The film has a fairly high gore quotent and comes to a climax as a group of armed Police officers are brutally slaughtered by the demons haunting Rebecca in an abandoned commune. Haunting of Rebecca Verlaine is decent fun but you find yourself waiting for the next bloody murder most of the time.

Shadows of the Dead (2004) A couple looking for a romantic getaway discover a body close to their woodland retreat. What seemed like a fun weekend turns into a horrific nightmare. Well at least for the first hour. The couple's problems begin when they realize the lad no longer has a pulse which i found interesting. The local doctors want to keep him in hospital unsurprisingly but the duo make a getaway. After a bit of hanky panky the girtl discovers she too no longer has a pulse then my interest started waning. What had begun as an interesting plot with breezy fun characters turned into a turgid "woe is me" gloomfest as the couple turn on each other and decide the best way to solve their problem is to shout loudly at each other. A lot. A few scenes of gore towards the end can't make up for a promising premise that turned out rather disappointing. For a rather better example of this film watch Return of the Living Dead 3.

British actress Fiona Horsey turns up in The Twisted Sisters (2006). Essentially a reworking of the Brian DePalma film Sisters, Horsey plays a young woman suspected by Police of murdering several people around London. As with all these films The Twisted Sisters is made on a micro budget. However here the budget has been wisely put to use with some nice location work around the capital including some fun scenes on the London Underground. The film is well directed and Horsey is a watchable actress, making The Twisted Sisters the best of the six films so far.

Below are the initial dvd covers for the films as they all had previous releases outside of this set. Some of them are going for silly money on Amazon.

More reviews to come.....

Zann 12th June 2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 346731)

I can relate.

The last modern horror I gave a chance was Inbred with the bloke off Emmerdale...just terrible :mmph:

troggi 12th June 2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

I picked this up today.

It is badly acted, badly scripted some terrible effects (oatmeal vomit, anyone?) AND yes the killer slaughters a busload of visually impaired holiday makers, some rather aptly but I wasn't going to tell anyone that and spoil the fun, was I? And I'm not going to say watch out for the blind pregnant lady either! Ooops, y' can put a spoiler on that can't you... No ok! Sorry!

J Harker 12th June 2013 07:38 PM

Finally got some time out to watch Django Unchained. I thought it was a blast, thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Yes it's Tarantino at his most indulgent but I personally didn't find that a problem. And the good far far outways the bad. Jackson is terrific as are most of the cast.

Zann 12th June 2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 346752)
Finally got some time out to watch Django Unchained. I thought it was a blast, thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Yes it's Tarantino at his most indulgent but I personally didn't find that a problem. And the good far far outways the bad. Jackson is terrific as are most of the cast.

For me his most self indulgent movie is Death Proof where several characters talk like him.

J Harker 12th June 2013 07:54 PM

See I find Death Proof to be pretty dull for around three quarters of its running time. Mostly dialogue and not even interesting dialogue. I think it's easily his worst film, although I've only seen in its own self contained form. Whether the original cut in its 'Grindhouse' edit is any better I don't know.

troggi 12th June 2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 346761)
See I find Death Proof to be pretty dull for around three quarters of its running time. Mostly dialogue and not even interesting dialogue. I think it's easily his worst film, although I've only seen in its own self contained form. Whether the original cut in its 'Grindhouse' edit is any better I don't know.

The Grindhouse Project was a great Idea. "Planet Terror" pulled it off, "Machete" pulled it off (and out and swung on 'em). "Deathproof"...mmmm! Know wha' I mean?

PaulD 12th June 2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 346758)
For me his most self indulgent movie is Death Proof where several characters talk like him.

The characters in most of his films talk like him!

Zann 12th June 2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 346772)
The characters in most of his films talk like him!

True :) but in this one especially.

troggi 12th June 2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

I picked this up today.

I'm a sucker for this kind of thing.
http://asda.scene7.com/is/image/Asda...ult_details_GM

"The Daughter of Darkness", my little girl, Katherine, came for tea today. "Daddy," she says "have you got anything Iain and I can watch tonight?" I showed her this case, I showed her what I had written about it! "Cool," she says with a bright smile "that'll do great!" Then I showed her what you lot had said, "hey, everybody likes the same as us!" she exclaimed, like it was some sort of endorsement.

Sometimes I'm so proud of my little girl! :nod::nod:

Slippery Jack 12th June 2013 10:34 PM

Does anyone have the number for Social Services :shocked: . . . ?

troggi 12th June 2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 346815)
Does anyone have the number for Social Services :shocked: . . . ?

You'd have grown up just as you are if you'd lived in my cave.

Slippery Jack 13th June 2013 08:16 AM

Finally watched Sightseers last night. Damn good fun, three in a row for Ben Wheatley I'd say (can't wait for A Field in England - looks fantastic :clap:). It's clear director and cast were big fans of Rob Brydon and Julia Davies' series Human Remains. The first half was essentially an extended episode (definitely a good thing). As the bodies began to pile up, I did feel it began to push the silliness a little too far, and I thought the ending lacked punch. But very entertaining on the whole (woo hoo! Birmingham accents! Oooh, there's the road out of the city I used this morning!). Most fun for me was recognising the Production Accountant from my last job playing a bloodied corpse in the bushes (hey, that's Gareth!!!) :lol: . . .

Frankie Teardrop 13th June 2013 10:28 AM

EXTERMINATOR 2 - Another one from the Shout Factory 4 pack. It's totally gaudy and brash, and I haven't seen a film look so '1984' since 'Night Of The Comet'. I prefer it to the more downbeat original - it's just a gleeful rip off, particularly of 'The Warriors'. Very enjoyable trash.

THIRST - From 1979. I've seen this weird vampire film a few times over the years, and I've never really known what to make of it. There some interesting, even powerful elements - the 'blood farm', which looks like a nightmare psyche ward, the whole merging of gothic themes and styles with chilly, almost Cronenbergian clinical horror, all the fairly harrowing 'deconditioning' aspects... but something about it really grated on me - the tone was too shrill, the acting too wooden, and, worst of all for me, the score was overblown and the musical cues too obvious and clunky. Despite these negatives, something about it really intrigued me and kept me going. Could've been really strong in safer hands perhaps.

ROBOWAR - From Bruno Mattei. Wish this one had an 'official' release - anyone wanting to sample its dubious charms will have to make do with a grey market VHS rip for now. It will appeal only to those with a hardwired inclination towards bottom of the barrel Italian exploitation, but it possesses the essential 'badness' required by such an audience in abundance... if you dig endless shots of commandos walking really slowly through a jungle accompanied by awful eighties synths, you're in the right place. The plot basically rips off 'Robocop' and 'Predator' and the film itself is by turns boring and loopy until the bizarrely haunting climax. I'm intrinsically biased towards this kind of awful garbage, so perhaps I'm not best placed to recommend it.

SCM 13th June 2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 346766)
The Grindhouse Project was a great Idea. "Planet Terror" pulled it off, "Machete" pulled it off (and out and swung on 'em). "Deathproof"...mmmm! Know wha' I mean?

Hobo With A Shotgun did well

gag 13th June 2013 04:21 PM

Incredible melting man, so bad it's good.

Rik 13th June 2013 05:35 PM

Funny story-After taking the boys to school this morning, I've got my earphones in listening to a bit of Delta Blues (more on that in a second) and I walked passed a teenage couple arguing in the street, proper screaming at each other. He was calling her a "Stupid bitch!" over and over, which inspired the first film I watched today....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...6L._SY300_.jpg

Complete over the top violence, Juliette Lewis looking sexy as Hell and Robert Downey Jr, what's not to like?

My second film choice came about from the last song I had playing on my iPhone before I got home, Terraplane Blues by the great Robert Johnson, so I watched this...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...eL._AA160_.jpg

Love this film, and everytime I watch it I attempt to learn how to play Eugene's Trick Bag by Steve Vai that is "performed" by Ralph Macchio at the end in his guitar battle with Vai, one day I will nail the damned thing!

troggi 13th June 2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCM (Post 346857)
Hobo With A Shotgun did well

How could I forget Rutger? :doh:
:pray: (Kneels in supplication) "O Lord Rutger, thought you can be mean and moody please accept this pint of Guinness as an offering for forgetting your contribution to the Grindhouse Project.

Salute to THE Jugger
:pray:

SCM 14th June 2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 346914)
How could I forget Rutger? :doh:
:pray: (Kneels in supplication) "O Lord Rutger, thought you can be mean and moody please accept this pint of Guinness as an offering for forgetting your contribution to the Grindhouse Project.

Salute to THE Jugger
:pray:

Out of all the fake grindhouse trailers there is one that would be brilliant to see as an actual movie. Eli Roth's Thanksgiving

Eli Roth's THANKSGIVING - YouTube

Susan Foreman 14th June 2013 11:42 AM

'Gimme Shelter' (1970)

Documentary featuring the Rolling Stones ill-fated concert at the Altamont racetrack in 1969

If you are unfamiliar with the incident, it is generally considered to be the moment when the 'summer of love' in the 1960's ended

Basically, the Rolling Stones played a free concert at the Altamont racetrack in California in December 1969 - 4 months after Woodstock. In an ill-conceived moment, it was decided that the Hells Angels would provide security!!!!

Bikers policing a rock festival. In concept, fine. In reality, 1960's Hells Angels = police, not good!!!!!!

Anyway, the atmosphere at the concert was nasty from the start. Jefferson Airplane vocalist Marty Balin was knocked out in a scuffle with the Angels. The Greatful Dead refused to appear. The look of hate a (hard) Angel gives to (the camp) Jagger during the Stones set is chilling

All this leads to the stabbing of audience member Meridith Hunter, who pulled a gun during the Stones set

Alongside Charles Manson, this is the event which 'killed' the era of love

'Gimme Shelter' - essential (but chilling) viewing

Demoncrat 14th June 2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 346121)
Just watched Baise-Moi. Probably the most average film I've ever seen :|

Offer still stands cough.;)

Demoncrat 14th June 2013 01:28 PM

due to my naughty mate, I've seen V/H/S 2. not a patch on the first imo, some nice touches though and more humor...if you want to see this AVOID the trailers!!!

(and Mayor, if you thought the first was shite....youlll F*****g hate this one btw!!;))