Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Cinematic Shocks 12th August 2017 03:54 PM

Suspiria (1977)

****1/2 out of *****

Cinematic Shocks 12th August 2017 05:13 PM

Tombs of the Blind Dead (1972)

**** out of *****

trebor8273 12th August 2017 06:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6BIrQPNo-8

a lot better than the american movie, granted we dont see much of Godzilla in this one as well but at least you can see him and i enjoyed the whole story line involving the Japaneses government trying to deal with the treat of Godzilla and america being america. Shit most definitely blows up and makes what superman did to metropolis pale in comparison. 8/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQyZ99AoxO8

forget Good Will Hunting this is Afleck's and Damon's best work together. They both look so baby faced in this but it is 18 years ago! 9/10

now watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer (movie)

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th August 2017 06:57 PM

Hercules Round up.

:star:

Hercules (1983)

Italian production starring Lou Ferrigno. Hopelessly acted, with terrible cheap lightning like 80's sfx work all clunkilly thrown together and directed by Luigi Cozzi. Achieves a single star thanks to Sybil Danning's monumental chest. Even William Berger as King Minos can't save this one.

:halfstar:

The Adventures of Hercules II (1985)

Cozzi, Ferrigno and Berger back for a second go which somehow is even worse.

Sinbad of the Seven Seas (1989)

The great Enzo Castellari takes over the directorial reins for this unrelated film which again stars Ferrigno. The trailer looks bloody awesome. The film itself is bloody awful.

Demoncrat 12th August 2017 07:05 PM

Fight!!

:laugh:
They is Cannon blood.
Allowances have to be made

surely :lol:

I love the way Ferrigno handles his sparkling balls at the end of Sinbad :pound:;)

trebor8273 12th August 2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 546035)
:star:

Hercules (1983)

Italian production starring Lou Ferrigno. Hopelessly acted, with terrible cheap lightning like 80's sfx work all clunkilly thrown together and directed by Luigi Cozzi. Achieves a single star thanks to Sybil Danning's monumental chest. Even William Berger as King Minos can't save this one.

:halfstar:

The Adventures of Hercules II (1985)

Cozzi, Ferrigno and Berger back for a second go which somehow is even worse.

Sinbad of the Seven Seas (1989)

The great Enzo Castellari takes over the directorial reins for this unrelated film which again stars Ferrigno. The trailer looks bloody awesome. The film itself is bloody awful.

i enjoy them all, granted they are bad but bad in a good way, as mentioned above its typical Cannon silliness

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th August 2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 546036)
Fight!!

:laugh:
They is Cannon blood.
Allowances have to be made

surely :lol:

I love the way Ferrigno handles his sparkling balls at the end of Sinbad :pound:;)

There are plenty of excellent Cannon productions, allowances DO NOT have to be made, but these three are terrible. I'm a better actor than Ferrigno. :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th August 2017 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 546037)
i enjoy them all, granted they are bad but bad in a good way, as mentioned above its typical Cannon silliness

No they aren't.

I think you are doing Cannon a huge disservice saying that.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th August 2017 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 546038)
There are plenty of excellent Cannon productions, allowances DO NOT have to be made, but these three are terrible. I'm a better actor than Ferrigno. :lol:

They are rubbish, but I call them 'dumb but fun', only just qualifying in the second category.

trebor8273 12th August 2017 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Even this is a better actor than he is!

Inspector Abberline 12th August 2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

oh don't get Lou angry...

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th August 2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 546042)
oh don't get Lou angry...

I'll give you that one. He was excellent playing Bill Bixby.

Demoncrat 12th August 2017 07:28 PM

The Apple

;)

AAANYway ...

Cape Fear (1961, J Lee Thompson)
Far outstripping the gaudy remake, this taut thriller is still an abject lesson in dynamics. Still watching ...

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th August 2017 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 546037)

The Last American Virgin, the 'Ninja Trilogy', Lady Chatterley's Lover, Otello, Lifeforce, Schizoid, Sahara, The Company of Wolves and Highlander are all really good films produced by individually, or in part, by Cannon Films.

trebor8273 12th August 2017 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 546045)
The Last American Virgin, the 'Ninja Trilogy', Lady Chatterley's Lover, Otello, Lifeforce, Schizoid, Sahara, The Company of Wolves and Highlander are all really good films produced by individually, or in part, by Cannon Films.

i knew lifeforce was, but had no idea of the others

Demoncrat 12th August 2017 07:49 PM

Runaway Train

Cough
;)

trebor8273 12th August 2017 07:57 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw584-A9sAU

Oh dear, while the TV show was funny and thrilling this is just dreadfully unfunny and as scary as Scooby Doo, talking of Scooby Doo it just feels off without the Scooby gang(i know its set before she meets them). the vampires are just laughably, even Rutger Hauer who i usual love was terrible and seemed like he had escaped a pantomime. The only interesting thing was Donald Sutherland's character wasn't a watcher but some-sort of immortal being that was reborn every time he died. also watch out for Ben Affleck in early role as a basketball player. Also in this Buffy had the weird ability that she got the cramps when vampires are near! 5/10

Next up lake mungo, hope this is better than Buffy was

Demoncrat 12th August 2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 546044)
The Apple

;)

AAANYway ...

Cape Fear (1961, J Lee Thompson)
Far outstripping the gaudy remake, this taut thriller is still an abject lesson in dynamics. Still watching ...

Thompson wanted Hayley Mills for the daughter!!!
That would have been ....interesting.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th August 2017 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 546051)
Oh dear, while the TV show was funny and thrilling this is just dreadfully unfunny and as scary as Scooby Doo, talking of Scooby Doo it just feels off without the Scooby gang(i know its set before she meets them). the "vampires are just laughably, even Rutger Hauer who i usual love was terrible and seemed like he had escaped a pantomime. The only interesting thing was Donald Sutherland's character wasn't a watcher but some-sort of immortal being that was reborn every time he died. also watch out for Ben Affleck in early role as a basketball player. Also in this Buffy had the weird ability that she got the cramps when vampires are near! 5/10

I really like the movie because it is a lot of fun. Also, I think the visceral reaction (cramps) makes a lot of sense – why wouldn't a Slayer have an extreme physical reaction to vampires?

trebor8273 12th August 2017 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 546053)
I really like the movie because it is a lot of fun. Also, I think the visceral reaction (cramps) makes a lot of sense – why wouldn't a Slayer have an extreme physical reaction to vampires?

i liked the idea, but with the show they just went with the idea she couldn't sense them unlike other slayers, just found the whole film to silly ansd stupid, but maybe i should not compare it to the show and watch it on its own merits

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th August 2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 546055)
i liked the idea, but with the show they just went with the idea she couldn't sense them unlike other slayers, just found the whole film to silly ans stupid, but maybe i should not compare it to the show and watch it on its own merits

I treat them as separate entities, not comparing Kristy Swanson to Sarah Michelle Geller, Donald Sutherland to Anthony Head, Rutger Hauer to James Marsters/David Boreanaz.

Fran Rubel Kuzui directed the movie well, and the screenplay is very well written; apparently she developed it with Joss Whedon to the extent that they worked together on both the film and TV series, for which she is credited as an executive producer.

trebor8273 12th August 2017 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 546056)
I treat them as separate entities, not comparing Kristy Swanson to Sarah Michelle Geller, Donald Sutherland to Anthony Head, Rutger Hauer to James Marsters/David Boreanaz.

Fran Rubel Kuzui directed the movie well, and the screenplay is very well written; apparently she developed it with Joss Whedon to the extent that they worked together on both the film and TV series, for which she is credited as an executive producer.

will watch again at some point and try not to compare it to the show, which i did. you could see hints of what made the show so great. At the beginning of the film Buffy is a lot more Cordelia than Buffy

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th August 2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 546057)
will watch again at some point and try not to compare it to the show, which i did. you could see hints of what made the show so great. At the beginning of the Buffy is a lot more Cordelia than Buffy

I know what you mean about the Buffy character in the film because, from memory, she is nowhere near as strong – mentally or physically – as Joss Whedon made her, but it would be interesting to watch it myself because it's been a while.

Also, I'd like to hear your thoughts when you next watch the film and thinking about the TV show.

Stephen@Cult Labs 12th August 2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 546058)
I know what you mean about the Buffy character in the film because, from memory, she is nowhere near as strong – mentally or physically – as Joss Whedon made her, but it would be interesting to watch it myself because it's been a while.

Also, I'd like to hear your thoughts when you next watch the film and thinking about the TV show.

Yeah even at the beginning of the show, Buffy was nowhere near the ditzy blonde cheerleader Valley version in the film. I actually really like the film, and Paul Reubens is hilarious.

iank 12th August 2017 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 546056)

Cough splutter, as I understand it, the Kuzuis had absolutely nothing to do with the series at all, they gained credits solely because they share ownership of the rights to the character.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th August 2017 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 546063)
Cough splutter, as I understand it, the Kuzuis had absolutely nothing to do with the series at all, they gained credits solely because they share ownership of the rights to the character.

Having read a bit in the last few minutes, you're right. Joss Whedon's vision for the film was much darker than the comedy it became, something reflected in the frequent tense, violent and occasionally very scary scenes and episodes in the TV show

I thought the Kuzuis had more creative input but, according to Christopher Golden and Nancy Holder, their credits "relate to their funding, producing, and directing of the original movie version of Buffy."

Make Them Die Slowly 12th August 2017 10:26 PM

The Girl on the Train

Lots of people do acting in a rather slim plot of a film which is mind bogglingly complicated. I guessed who the killer was early on only to discover it wasn't the giant underpass dwelling centipede from Abscentia as I first thought. Recommended.

American Tiger

The wonderfully named Mitch Gaylord is framed for murder and sets to clear his name with the help of an old Chinese witch in an electric wheelchair and a ginger haired stripper. Donald Pleasence as the baddie gets to feel up a naked Chinese woman whilst his face is painted green and also turn into a pig.

Nudist Colony of the Dead

After their nudist camp is closed by Christians, the members make a suicide pact and vow to return from the grave...in the present day, the Christian's kids go to the camp for a bible retreat...if that doesn't sound shit enough already, it is a f*cking musical too.

Angel of Reckoning

Director Len Kabasonski, the king of taekwondo kicking monster flicks featuring vampires, werewolves and zombies changes pace in this vengeance driven drama...a female solider returns from active duty to take on the scum who drove her niece to suicide. Having enjoyed most of Kabasonski's dumb but fun monster films I was a bit let down by this. There is little action and and the whole thing takes itself too seriously. However I followed it up with another film by the same director....

Apocalypse Female Warriors

This is more like it, endless scenes of nudity and stilted martial arts in a post nuclear war setting which looks suspiciously like a closed school and a scrap yard. Top stuff.

Demoncrat 12th August 2017 11:05 PM

Sold then

:nod:

Now off to watch the animal cruelty bonanza that is Bambi
Night!!

bleakshaun 13th August 2017 05:40 AM

My mate showed me The Company of Wolves.
The film centers around a young girl, who dreams of being in a small village and having to traverse a path to visit her grandmother, during the film her grandmother tells her some tales based on wolves, the second half was based more on Little Red Riding Hood.
The acting is great, at first the plot felt difficult to follow but you start to understand by the second half of the film. What makes this standout is the transformation effects from man to wolf. Not as good as American Werewolf in London, but is well done. I'd recommend giving it a watch.
8/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

SilverSurfer 13th August 2017 11:56 AM

Bounty Killer (2013)

Christian Pitre steals the film as Mary Death,One very hot looking woman.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1ca5ef6c59.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4d/36...5f0581698a.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...fec502cb1b.jpg

Loved it.

SymbioticFunction 13th August 2017 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 546076)
My mate showed me The Company of Wolves.
The film centers around a young girl, who dreams of being in a small village and having to traverse a path to visit her grandmother, during the film her grandmother tells her some tales based on wolves, the second half was based more on Little Red Riding Hood.
The acting is great, at first the plot felt difficult to follow but you start to understand by the second half of the film. What makes this standout is the transformation effects from man to wolf. Not as good as American Werewolf in London, but is well done. I'd recommend giving it a watch.
8/10

Great fantasy film, easily one of the very best werewolf films ever made. :nod:

Also perhaps the best British film of the 1980's?

SymbioticFunction 13th August 2017 04:16 PM

Watched James Cameron's Terminator 2:

This is an extremely well made (but unnecessary) sequel to an all-time classic. The film abandons logic in a few places (for example, how can T-1000's contact with the sole of a shoe produce an identical security guard, and how come there were explosive yellow barrels already waiting at the lab?).

It's also a bit of a stretch that John Connor would choose to send back an identical model T-800 but since that was the only way of returning a lead actor, you just have to accept it. Is quite good fun to see the two lead actors now playing different roles (Linda Hamilton a highly trained badass, and Schwarzenegger a somewhat sympathetic, non-lethal cyborg).

There's a few plot contrivances too such as a very well-timed remote control car crash, a truck just happening to carry liquid nitrogen and a foundry being handily nearby. But the overall movie is so well crafted that you fairly easily choose to just go along with it. Final film score - 7.5/10.

(The original Terminator film would actually score a 9.5).

trebor8273 13th August 2017 06:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0z6C_9QdKE

5/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odR6tGpZTis

8/10

Nostalgic 13th August 2017 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 541887)
Logan

Savage and beautiful study of middle age, mortality and finding a meaning for life in the face of death.

I can't recommend this enough. Best film I have seen this year.

My exact thoughts. Jackman's best performance as the character, the film is perfect!

On a completely different note, just watched Hide & Go Shriek. Very good slasher I'd never even heard of until 88 put it out.

J Harker 13th August 2017 11:55 PM

Nightmare at Noon. 1988. Nico Mastorakis.

More utterly entertaining nonsense from Greek director Mastorakis.
This one features a rather tubby old looking Brion James, another b-list tough guy playing 'the albino' some sort of bio terrorist who poisons the water supply of middle of nowhere, backwater desert town Canyon something or other. The result being anyone who drinks of the water turning into homicidal maniacs.
Ex cop Reilly, vacationing lawyer Ken and Local Sheriff Hank struggle to contain the threat and battle the bad guys. Why? Not sure. How? Guns.
Any good? Hell yeah.
George Kennedy, Bo Svenson, Wings Hauser (what a feckin name!) and Brion James hold up another Mastorakis classic!!!

Justin101 14th August 2017 10:20 AM

https://s25.postimg.org/ausy0zivj/last_Week.png

Views from last week. Starting with Beat Girl which I'm sure most of you have already seen. Right from the off I was hooked to this one, what a delinquent! I wonder how much Christopher Lee was paid for what was clearly a days work :lol:

Next up was a Sunday morning in bed with Theatre of Blood and the League of Gentlemen. Having seen this before when I borrowed it off a work friend I decided to watch this time with the commentary track. It was really fun but maybe not very informative. They spend a lot of time talking about not recognising Diana Rigg in her various disguises and revolting in glee at the elaborate deaths! Recommended.

I tried to watch Eurocrime! twice, the first time the quirky editing and subtitles did my head in so I slept on it and gave it another try, I'm glad that I did. Chock full of insights from the likes of Henry Silva and Franco Nero. One of the little anecdotes was that if the film was acted in English but one of the actors couldn't speak it, they just counted to 10 instead of saying the lines :lol:

I'm not a 2000AD fan, although I've tried to be in the past, it fascinates me. I thought that Future Shock might be a good toe in for me, I think it was, even if it wasn't it was very entertaining. I didn't realise just how many big names in the industry started out at with the comic here in the UK.

Five Dolls for an August Moon was a disappointment. This is definitely a lesser Bava and not one which I think i'll be revisiting any time soon. It's a shame because it started off really well and quickly descended into madness. I'm not entirely sure I understood the ending either :lol:

The Cockettes is a documentary about a band of Hippies in the late 60s experimenting with free love and gender ambiguity who fell into Show Business partly by accident. It charts their rise to super stardom in their native San Francisco and the plummet from grace after an ill advised attempt to crack NYC.

I watched the American re-edit of Haxan, Witchcraft Through the Ages, first time viewing but it was a blast. A lot more violent than I was expecting. I'm going to give it another go soon with the original Swedish version.

Finally, now I know why they call it the 'Slow Motion Picture'. I've been a fan of Star Trek for years and years, I've see all of the films except for the first installment. While it was fun watching the over acting and dodgy effects, the actual film is just too long! They could have done with a good editor, every scene was just too long! Kirk and Scottie's fly by of the Enterprise took about 10 minutes, that's when alarm bells were ringing! I plan on watching all 10 movies over the next few weeks, let's see which my favourite is. It'll be between The Journey Home, The Undiscovered Country or First Contact I think.

nosferatu42 14th August 2017 10:46 AM

What no Wrath of Khan?? That's my favourite.:pop2:

Justin101 14th August 2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 546168)
What no Wrath of Khan?? That's my favourite.:pop2:

I do love that one, it's just not as fun as the other 3 I mentioned though :lol: It's funny to think that Wrath of Khan was the follow up the The Motion Picture :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th August 2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 546169)
I do love that one, it's just not as fun as the other 3 I mentioned though :lol:

Not a patch on them in my opinion.

bleakshaun 14th August 2017 12:24 PM

Watched Blair Witch
The little brother of the woman from the original believes she is still alive, so he decides to go to the forest with his student friends and a s**tload of cameras, only to be trapped in the woods by (presumably) the Blair Witch.
Adam Wingards film, sounds like crap on paper and utter garbage on screen, the film itself unfortunately fails as a successor to the original and merely serves as fan fiction without any subtlety or discretion.
3/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk