Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 6th March 2013 10:47 AM

Watched The Town.
If I didn't think that Affleck was up himself before, I sure do now. A semi- interesting car chase doth not a movie make. Fear In The City tonight! Twas my original choice, but mate couldn't face another 23rdC-er.:lol:

Beyond72 6th March 2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 325946)
I mainly remember the film from its many tv appearances during my adolescence, so releiving it through the 23rdC version was shall we say underwhelming cough.;) Go for it. It's an unusual "satanic" film due to the location etc.

It was one of those films I wasn't allowed to stay up for as a Kid.
So that might cloud my judgement, but I actually prefer it to Race with the Devil and the like.

trebor8273 6th March 2013 11:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
yesterdays viewings

trebor8273 6th March 2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 325956)
So that might cloud my judgement, but I actually prefer it to Race with the Devil and the like.

Thank you for months I've been trying to remember a film with Peter Fonda and a motor home which I saw asa kid but could not remember the name, all I remember was it was creepy and a tree and a actor that might or might not of been Peter Fonda, once again thanks:)

Beyond72 6th March 2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 325964)
Thank you for months I've been trying to remember a film with Peter Fonda and a motor home which I saw asa kid but could not remember the name, all I remember was it was creepy and a tree and a actor that might or might not of been Peter Fonda, once again thanks:)

Ha - glad I helped.

I just watched it the other day as well, the action packed finale was pretty cool.

PaulD 6th March 2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 325960)
yesterdays viewings

Seinfeld!

One of the best shows ever.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th March 2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 325947)
Watched The Town.
If I didn't think that Affleck was up himself before, I sure do now. A semi- interesting car chase doth not a movie make. Fear In The City tonight! Twas my original choice, but mate couldn't face another 23rdC-er.:lol:

I love it when opinions differ so wildly films as I think The Town is superb. It's not as good as Gone Baby Gone, which is still Ben Affleck's best film (and this from someone who thought Argo was a worthy winner of the Best Picture O and is currently waiting for the BD to arrive), but is an extremely well acted and directed piece with escalating tension, a great feel for its surroundings and location and with extremely well drawn characters.

The Harry Callahan saying about opinions is always true!

Harry Callahan's opinion on opinions - YouTube

Justin101 6th March 2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 325943)

Completed the Hammer Karnstein Trilogy last night with the excellent Twins of Evil, I love Peter Cushing in this as a kind of Matthew Hopkins type character, and of course who doesn't love the titular twins :coolblue:

Twins of Evil, Countess Dracula and Vampire Circus are my fav Hammer films - I love that era where they had stopped being classy and just went for full on blood and boobs.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th March 2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 325976)
Twins of Evil, Countess Dracula and Vampire Circus are my fav Hammer films - I love that era where they had stopped being classy and just went for full on blood and boobs.

Me too. They aren't my favourite Hammer films, but they're so easy to watch.

Demoncrat 6th March 2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 325956)

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

and of course, that should have been RELIVING ahem. Ah, I like both really. Was a staple back in the day, but recently with Kill List and The Last Exorcism, it's nice to see the old ways returning to genre cinema

keirarts 6th March 2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 325973)
I love it when opinions differ so wildly films as I think The Town is superb. It's not as good as Gone Baby Gone, which is still Ben Affleck's best film (and this from someone who thought Argo was a worthy winner of the Best Picture O and is currently waiting for the BD to arrive), but is an extremely well acted and directed piece with escalating tension, a great feel for its surroundings and location and with extremely well drawn characters.

The Harry Callahan saying about opinions is always true!

Harry Callahan's opinion on opinions - YouTube

fully agree about the town. I really like it.

Love Devils rain as well, I have the dark sky release which is the one to get.

Edgeworth 6th March 2013 07:12 PM

Watched Django Unchained last night, enjoyed it! Can't wait for the blu.

I like the way you die boy - best line in the movie.

Metallicbomb 6th March 2013 09:49 PM

Just watched
The Money Pit

Zann 7th March 2013 06:06 AM

Cut And Run

Possibly Deodato's most enjoyable film after the mighty CH. Those were the days, before these straightened times, when Anchor Bay put out endless quality releases. As much as I love the BD format, it hasn't seen the kind of early 2000s gold rush for genre releases that we enjoyed with the advent of DVD :(

tele1962 7th March 2013 06:12 AM

Lisa & The Devil last night, what can i say but weired and wonderful. Great film IMHO.
Seemed like on the Interview with Alan Jones he preferred The House Of Exorcism? Looks like i will be viewing that one soon.

keirarts 7th March 2013 07:06 AM

Come out and play.

Anyone else know they re-made who can kill a child?! Its set in mexico this time and is pretty much faithful to the origional. Not as good as the origional its not an umitigated disaster either, its got a great soundtrack and some fairly nast violence to it.

Paul@TheOverlook 7th March 2013 07:08 AM

Not even heard of the film at all.

jiraffejustin 7th March 2013 07:16 AM

The Vanishing (1988, George Sluizer) - Totally blew me away. I didn't really know what to expect going into this, I thought it was going to be some sort of supernatural story. I was way off on that assumption, but this movie has stuck in my head since I saw it about a week ago.

It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012, Don Hertzfeldt) - Hertzfeldt put his trilogy of short films about a man suffering from some sort of mental health issue together to be viewed as a feature film in three chapters. It mixes elements of humor, sadness, and joy together. Though the element of joy is few and far between, it hits harder because of the sense of pity you feel for Bill throughout. The humorous parts are very funny though. Especially in the second chapter when Bill recounts his family history. Be warned though, it's an experimental animated film, so it's definitely not for everyone.

The Prowler (1981, Joseph Zito) - It doesn't veer from the slasher formula, and it is a little bit predictable. But honestly, who cares? For the most part it's well acted, the villain has a neat outfit, and above all else the gore effects are very well done. As far as the slasher genre goes, this is one of the best it has to offer.

Bernie (2011, Richard Linklater) - I've read reviews from self-proclaimed "Jack Black haters" that praised his performance in this dark comedy. I'm a self-proclaimed "Jack Black lover." I loved him in this movie, he and Matthew McConaughey were the bright spots. I thought that the documentary type format kind of broke up the film a little too much, certain parts of it worked, but it just took too much time away from Black and McConaughey. As a whole, it was pretty enjoyable all things considered.

The Beyond (1981, Lucio Fulci) - I mentioned my recent viewing of this in another thread earlier. I said how much I had been thinking about the ending, and I still am. That ending was just icing on the cake for a full on cinematic assault by Fulci.

Pieces (1982, Juan Piquer Simón) - I really wanted to like this as I've noticed it seems to be popular around these parts, however there was just too much taking me out of the film. I enjoyed some parts, and other parts I just thought were too much. For example, the ending scene with the kid and the dead body just really took me out of it. The scene with Bruce Lee impersonator, Bruce Le, while funny, just added more confusion than anything else. The murders were well done, but everything else around them were noticeably less impressive.

keirarts 7th March 2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 326133)
Not even heard of the film at all.

Come Out and Play (2012) - IMDb

Jinx_Barkman 7th March 2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 326136)
The Vanishing (1988, George Sluizer) - Totally blew me away. I didn't really know what to expect going into this, I thought it was going to be some sort of supernatural story. I was way off on that assumption, but this movie has stuck in my head since I saw it about a week ago.

Great list of films but I had to single this one out. I LOVE this film. Methodical, chilling and haunting. And I applaud the decision by the director for the climax/finale. Brilliant film. I wish someone would release the soundtrack, preferably on vinyl.

Slippery Jack 7th March 2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 326136)
Pieces
I enjoyed some parts, and other parts I just thought were too much. For example, the ending scene with the kid and the dead body just really took me out of it. The scene with Bruce Lee impersonator, Bruce Le, while funny, just added more confusion than anything else. The murders were well done, but everything else around them were noticeably less impressive.

I know all the 'bad' points are why I like it so much :lol: One of the few films I've seen that is genuinely 'so bad it's good' - most are just plain bad, this one rocks :rockon: . . .

gag 7th March 2013 09:42 AM

I've known for sometime there a new wizard of oz film but didn't know Sam raimi directed it, just seen the trailer it look more like something Tim burton would do along the lines of what he did with Alice in wonderland.

Here's the First Full Trailer for Disney's Wizard of Oz Prequel, Oz: The Great and Powerful

fuzzymctiger 7th March 2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 326144)
I know all the 'bad' points are why I like it so much :lol: One of the few films I've seen that is genuinely 'so bad it's good' - most are just plain bad, this one rocks :rockon: . . .

Same here, this ones a favourite.

fuzzymctiger 7th March 2013 10:06 AM

Also, anyone here seen the new teaser for Disney's Cars spin off, Planes?

Strange choice of music being White Zombie's "More Human Than Human"

Love the fact that Disney now has some sort of connection with The Devils Rejects :P

sawyer6 7th March 2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 326151)

Love the fact that Disney now has some sort of connection with The Devils Rejects :P

What's next ? Boats ?

keirarts 7th March 2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 326151)

sometimes disney dosent seem to think these things through, they bought up naruto shippuuden for broadcast, a series that contains scenes and characters very undisneylike.

Hawkmonger 7th March 2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 326170)
sometimes disney dosent seem to think these things through, they bought up naruto shippuuden for broadcast, a series that contains scenes and characters very undisneylike.

Oh, I have to see where this is going. :pound:

PaulD 7th March 2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 326169)
What's next ? Boats ?

I know. Seems like such a waste of time. No-one really liked Cars anyway did they?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th March 2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 326180)
I know. Seems like such a waste of time. No-one really liked Cars anyway did they?

Although it's one of Pixar's weaker films, I really like Cars and I'm waiting for the Cars 2 BD (which I haven't seen) to arrive.

Rik 7th March 2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 326180)

My kids like it, I on the other hand didn't think it was anything special

JoshuaKaitlyn 7th March 2013 06:01 PM

From 1928

The Lights of New York
The Last Command
Plane Crazy
Steamboat Willie
The Passion of Joan of Arc

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post326257

fuzzymctiger 7th March 2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 326183)
Although it's one of Pixar's weaker films, I really like Cars and I'm waiting for the Cars 2 BD (which I haven't seen) to arrive.

Cars 2 was rubbish :(

demonknight 7th March 2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgeworth (Post 325522)
Death Race 2000, Piranha and a documentary about the guy who voices Elmo. (forget the name)

I think his name is Kevin Clash.

Dave Boy 7th March 2013 09:02 PM

Hammer Films...

The Pirates Of Blood River (1961)
The Devil Ship Pirates (1963)
The Stranglers Of Bombay (1959)

Metallicbomb 7th March 2013 10:17 PM

Just watched
Friday The 13th Part II
Friday The 13th Part III

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th March 2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 326275)
Cars 2 was rubbish :(

I'm not expecting it to be a masterpiece, but it was in the BOGOF sale so wasn't particularly expensive and looks to be a really good BD.

Hawkmonger 8th March 2013 08:40 AM

The whole Cars franchise is really poor stuff from Pixar, with the possible exeption of seeing other Disney characters in car format. Thats kinda cute.

fuzzymctiger 8th March 2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 326353)
The whole Cars franchise is really poor stuff from Pixar, with the possible exeption of seeing other Disney characters in car format. Thats kinda cute.

I actually quite liked the first one, but the second was painful, and had misleading advertising, as the whole movie is pretty much about Mater.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th March 2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 326361)
I actually quite liked the first one, but the second was painful, and had misleading advertising, as the whole movie is pretty much about Mater.

As I said before, I really liked Cars (and still do) even though it's nowhere near the quality of the likes of the Toy Story films, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo or WALL-E. As Mater was one of my favourite characters (if not my favourite) from Cars, that's a plus point in the sequel's favour.

fuzzymctiger 8th March 2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 326364)
As I said before, I really liked Cars (and still do) even though it's nowhere near the quality of the likes of the Toy Story films, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo or WALL-E. As Mater was one of my favourite characters (if not my favourite) from Cars, that's a plus point in the sequel's favour.

If you like him then you will most likely enjoy the 2nd.