Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

bdc 14th December 2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 383007)
Foxy Brown

I'd heard this was a fairly unremarkable blaxploitation movie but I really enjoyed it and certainly prefer it over Coffy. Arrow's BD looks great too....now how about a BD of The Black Gestapo :)

The Black Gestapo is nowhere near as well known as Coffy and Foxy Brown...I would already be happy with a nice dvd. ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th December 2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 383081)
The Black Gestapo is nowhere near as well known as Coffy and Foxy Brown...I would already be happy with a nice dvd. ;)

I haven't seen The Black Gestapo, but if it can be mentioned in the same breath as Coffy and Foxy Brown, I'd love to be released as well.

bdc 14th December 2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 383083)
I haven't seen The Black Gestapo, but if it can be mentioned in the same breath as Coffy and Foxy Brown, I'd love to be released as well.

Black Gestapo had a smaller budget I think,Coffy and Foxy Brown were both AIP films.
There's some (awful) grey market dvd's around of Black Gestapo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzSrGWUyMuI

A "somewhat related in theme/feel" but earlier film would be The Tormentors (1971 and also a fun one imho):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eruYAw_9wn8

Both are not very pc... :lol: :thumb:

Gigantor 14th December 2013 12:46 PM

NOT OF THIS EARTH
UP FROM THE DEPTHS
HALLOWEEN

demonknight 14th December 2013 12:57 PM

Watched Insidious last night. Very impressive I have to say. I haven't seen many scary movies lately, but this movie scared the shit out of me at times. The acting was spot on for me, everyone on screen were truly believable. Roll on Insidious 2! Gonna watch it again with my wife over the Christmas, if she's up for it :)

ArgentoFan1987 14th December 2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 383091)
Watched Insidious last night. Very impressive I have to say. I haven't seen many scary movies lately, but this movie scared the shit out of me at times. The acting was spot on for me, everyone on screen were truly believable. Roll on Insidious 2! Gonna watch it again with my wife over the Christmas, if she's up for it :)

Yeah, I really liked Insidious. Genuinely scary. I feel it's unfairly "looked down on". I think it's very well done.

trebor8273 14th December 2013 03:25 PM

Might have a tobe hooper double bill, watching first part of salems lot might follow it up with lifeforce

keirarts 14th December 2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 383117)
Yeah, I really liked Insidious. Genuinely scary. I feel it's unfairly "looked down on". I think it's very well done.

I agree. I like insidious though I thought Sinister was better.

SShaw 14th December 2013 04:53 PM

Watched New Worlds this afternoon. Its an above average South Korean thriller concerning inter-clan politics and undercover detectives in the South Korean underworld. Nothing that hasn't been done before in Japanese genre cinema, but it passed the time.

Now its time to see if Peter Jackson will disappoint me again this Christmas.

... and he didnt. The second part of his Hobbit trilogy feels much leaner than last years openint chapter and despite its length held my attention. Terrific entertainment!

trebor8273 14th December 2013 05:15 PM

We'll finished the first part of salems lot and was going to watch fright night put cex have but the remake in instead of the original in the case, it's over a month sine I bought it and can't find receipt so will have to keep it, my fault should know by now to check disc from cex. :mmph:

Talking of originals think I will watch Carrie , from what people have said about the remake I not going near it with a 10 meter pole.

Edit
Anyone heard of a Thai film called the house?

Susan Foreman 14th December 2013 06:11 PM

I watched 'The Brady Bunch Movie' on Film4 this afternoon

A guilty pleasure to be sure

Highly recommended

The Brady Bunch Movie - Trailer - YouTube

LUNACHICKS - "Jan Brady" Live In Toronto 9/10/94 - YouTube

'Marsha, Marsha, Marsha'

*I actually saw this when it was first released at the cinema. I did my 'A' level English literature exam in the morning, and went to see this film in the afternoon

Rik 14th December 2013 07:00 PM

Took my eldest son to watch The Hobbit:The Desolation of Smaug this afternoon. Absolutely fantastic film, another job well done from Wingnut Films :nod:

J Harker 15th December 2013 08:16 AM

That's good to hear Rik. Me and the missus are watching it this afternoon.
My sister in law and her husband called in yesterday and went on about how disappointing it was, mainly because it deviates so much from the book apparently.

Rik 15th December 2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 383187)
That's good to hear Rik. Me and the missus are watching it this afternoon.
My sister in law and her husband called in yesterday and went on about how disappointing it was, mainly because it deviates so much from the book apparently.

It's been that long since I read the book, I can't remember much about it tbh, but look at how different the Shining is from the book and that's always considered a masterpiece.
We both thoroughly enjoyed it and are even thinking about going to watch it again over the Christmas holidays :nod:

J Harker 15th December 2013 10:29 AM

I've not read the book so it won't matter to me anyway.

SShaw 15th December 2013 12:57 PM

The rather terrific Julia's Eyes was this afternoons viewing. Recommended.

Followed up this evening with Restless Natives on DVD. I guess you probably need to have a little Scot's blood coursing through your veins to really love this. I think its fantastic feel good movie. It always puts a smile on my face.

sawyer6 15th December 2013 02:28 PM

Recent viewings

http://i40.tinypic.com/slsda9.jpg

trebor8273 15th December 2013 07:25 PM

King Kong

We'll not much more I can say about this classic which is king of monster movies, still a thrilling film and the effects are still great after all theses years, surprised how gruesome it is in places, a classic 10/10

Dust devil

Visual stunning but felt myself nodding off watching it, some great acting but really didn't seem to have any story. 6.5/10

Rik 15th December 2013 08:21 PM

Just finished watching Ghost Rider for the first time and it was better than I expected, probably add it to my collection at some point :nod:

Anyone know if the sequel is any good?

trebor8273 15th December 2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 383263)
Just finished watching Ghost Rider for the first time and it was better than I expected, probably add it to my collection at some point :nod:

i didn't enjoy either movie, but if you liked the first i think you will enjoy the sequel.

Rik 15th December 2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 383265)
i didn't enjoy either movie, but if you liked the first i think you will enjoy the sequel.

I've added it to my Lovefilm list seeing as it's not on either the UK or US Netflix.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th December 2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 383269)
I've added it to my Lovefilm list seeing as it's not on either the UK or US Netflix.

I enjoyed the first film a lot.

Spirit of Vengeance is sub standard rubbish. Not worth the time of day.

enterthehero 15th December 2013 11:21 PM

Just got in from watching hobbit 2. Great flick again better then the first as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gag 16th December 2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 383285)
I enjoyed the first film a lot.

Spirit of Vengeance is sub standard rubbish. Not worth the time of day.

neither are worth watching really.

Susan Foreman 16th December 2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 383146)
Now its time to see if Peter Jackson will disappoint me again this Christmas.

... and he didnt. The second part of his Hobbit trilogy feels much leaner than last years openint chapter and despite its length held my attention. Terrific entertainment!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 383161)
Took my eldest son to watch The Hobbit:The Desolation of Smaug this afternoon. Absolutely fantastic film, another job well done from Wingnut Films :nod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by enterthehero (Post 383289)
Just got in from watching hobbit 2. Great flick again better then the first as well.

Without giving anything away, does the film have a 'proper' ending, or does it have a 'cliffhanger' ending

I was led to believe that parts 1 & 2 were 'The Hobbit', while part 3 was going to consist of the appendices to the story

enterthehero 16th December 2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 383324)
Without giving anything away, does the film have a 'proper' ending, or does it have a 'cliffhanger' ending

I was led to believe that parts 1 & 2 were 'The Hobbit', while part 3 was going to consist of the appendices to the story

Definitely ends on a cliffhanger

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th December 2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 383324)

When it finished, the first thought that went through my head was 'I can't wait for the final instalment'. As I have a year to wait, I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing!

Rik 16th December 2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 383327)
When it finished, the first thought that went through my head was 'I can't wait for the final instalment'. As I have a year to wait, I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing!

That is exactly how me and Dylbo Baggins felt as the credits rolled :nod:

enterthehero 16th December 2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 383327)

It goes quick tho, the last one doesn't even feel like that long ago

Susan Foreman 16th December 2013 02:21 PM

Oh gosh!!

It's called 'Kill Keith', and it features Keith 'Cheggers' Chegwin, Tony Blackburn, Russell Grant and Joe Pasquale.

It's described as being 'The best British horror comedy since "Shaun Of The Dead"' [musimpson .co.uk] and 'horrifyingly funny' [aintitcoolnews .com]

How can it possibly fail?

Answer - very easily! A painful way to spend 90 minutes of my life

Not recommended

demonknight 16th December 2013 03:08 PM

Wrong Turn 2 - A great effort from Joe Lynch. I love this sequel. Great gore, nice helping of T&A, and some funny moments. Stand out for me is Henry Rollins. I think he's great in this. Opening scenes are a hoot. I couldn't wait for the very annoying blond to get her just desserts. Makes me wanna watch the first movie again :woot:

J Harker 16th December 2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 383263)

No. First one is a decent film. Second one is bad. Not even good bad. It's just awful, boring as hell.
There's not many films I just give up on but Spirit of Vengeance was one of them.

bdc 16th December 2013 06:42 PM

Finally finished watching RIN ~Daughters of Mnemosyne~ (2008)

My puzzled feelings when watching this 6 episode mini-series just show I'm a complete novice to modern anime I guess. ;)

First episode was ok but I had to struggle through some of the others (they serve a purpose though) and then at the end of episode 5 things finally started to become interesting.

Anyone else seen this?

I hate the opening theme song with a passion btw. :lol:

RiN Daughters of Mnemosyne - Opening - YouTube

SShaw 16th December 2013 06:53 PM

Finished last night with a second helping of Animals a rather odd Spanish coming of age story about a boy and his teddy bear, recommended but currently only appears to be available on Spanish DVD.

I started this evening with my first Christmas film the Dutch Santa Claus film Sint which I rather like, this time on UK DVD.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th December 2013 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sweet Vengeance (2013)

In the western town of Sweetwater, a fanatical preacher, a rogue sheriff and a classy former prostitute collide in a blood soaked tale of murder and revenge.

I really enjoyed Sweet Vengeance, it was a film i'd been looking forward to seeing and for once wasn't left wanting more.

For the first twenty minutes i felt the film was trying to be too provocative and clever for its own good, however with the proper introduction of Ed Harris's dingbat sheriff the storyline settled down and evolved into a rather tasty out for revenge western. Stylistically more on the lines of the spaghetti movement or later Hollywood pieces such as The Missing and Seraphim Falls rather than the classic American western of old. In fact having said that its a film which uses colour really well, especially January Jones's beautiful purple dress, startling against the yellows and browns of the classic western environments.

The film has an excellent cast, the already mentioned Ed Harris, Jason Isaacs as the crazed preacher and Madmen's Jones as the landowner whose murdered husband is at the centre of the plot. I've seen Jones in a couple of films recently and this is the first one where she's actually been given something meaty to do, her killing spree in the final twenty minutes is as brutal and well performed as any i've seen, Calamity Jane she ain't. Isaacs as the prophet Jason is downright disturbing at times, his nefarious actions eventually bringing him the unwanted attention of both Jones and Harris.

Sweet Vengeance has some fantastic stand out scenes - Harris crucified upside down for one and Jones, standing naked in the river, turns round, 45 in hand, casually killing her pursuers with ruthless efficiency, for another.

Intelligent, hard hitting and brutal, Sweet Vengeance is highly recommended.

trebor8273 16th December 2013 09:10 PM

In honour of the passing of the great peter o'toole watched Lawrence of Arabia and high spirits.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th December 2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 383412)
Sweet Vengeance (2013)

Like Seraphim, I just put this on my Lovefilm rental list as high priority, so shall report back when I've seen it.

Dave Boy 17th December 2013 07:14 PM

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/e...e4636dbf0a.jpg

Bela Lugosi is put into a trance by his 'dead' wife and commits murders. Enjoyable Poverty Row horror. Bela in his robotic like trance is well acted.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th December 2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 383599)
http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/e...e4636dbf0a.jpg

Bela in his robotic like trance is well acted.

It's how he played every role. :peep:

SShaw 17th December 2013 07:28 PM

Tonights film (to get me in the mood for Christmas) was the Spanish home invasion flick Kidnapped. A film I first saw at Fright fest and which I picked up on blu in a recent trip to Madrid. Recommended for those of you who like your films to be brutal, uncompromising and dark.