Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

J Harker 22nd October 2013 11:22 AM

Of course. But LXG is the better film. ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd October 2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 373126)
Of course. But LXG is the better film. ;)

In the universe where everything is backwards, it's regarded as a masterpiece.

J Harker 22nd October 2013 11:43 AM

Really not a big fan then?
So The Exorcist. Am I right in thinking that the spider walk sequence is in the more recent extended/directors cut? Is thr original theatrical version vastly different and more importantly better?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd October 2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 373131)
Really not a big fan then?
So The Exorcist. Am I right in thinking that the spider walk sequence is in the more recent extended/directors cut? Is thr original theatrical version vastly different and more importantly better?

The 'spider walk' scene is in the Extended Director's Cut (formerly known as The Version You've Never Seen), which also has a slightly different beginning, a different ending and visual effects of the Demon appearing in the house.

I much prefer the theatrical cut, but the longer cut is not without its merits and I watch it every so often.

J Harker 22nd October 2013 12:38 PM

I found the story just seemed a little disjointed, even though the film took it's sweet time something about the story felt a little rushed. And what causes Regans possession in the first place? Is there a reason I missed or is it just because?
In fact I didn't really see why her mother started taking her to see the doctors in the first place? It was as if that thread of the story was happening before Regan actually manifested any symptoms.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd October 2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 373143)
I found the story just seemed a little disjointed, even though the film took it's sweet time something about the story felt a little rushed. And what causes Regans possession in the first place? Is there a reason I missed or is it just because?
In fact I didn't really see why her mother started taking her to see the doctors in the first place? It was as if that thread of the story was happening before Regan actually manifested any symptoms.

There is a scene in the Extended Director's Cut in which Father Karras asks Father Merrin why Regan as the position makes no sense, and he replies:

"I think the point is to make us despair. To see ourselves as animal and ugly. The makers reject the possibility that God could love us."

This is all the subtext anyway because of the devastating effect it has on Chris MacNeil, the destructive power of the possession on Father Karras – a man who is losing his faith – and basically to target something innocent and destroy it without rhyme or reason.

Demoncrat 22nd October 2013 04:18 PM

Plus that ouija board cough...;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd October 2013 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 373197)
Plus that ouija board cough...;)

I think you need some of this:

Zann 22nd October 2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 373139)

I much prefer the theatrical cut, but the longer cut is not without its merits and I watch it every so often.

It amazes me how prevalent the extended cut is now. Last Halloween my local showed The Exorcist and it was the extended cut...it was the original 1973 theatrical cut that made history - keep it that way. Less is more.

Invid Ninja 22nd October 2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 373211)
It amazes me how prevalent the extended cut is now. Last Halloween my local showed The Exorcist and it was the extended cut...it was the original 1973 theatrical cut that made history - keep it that way. Less is more.

I'm perfectly happy with the extended cut of The Exorcist. Personally, the complaints of pacing hold no water for me. I think it's fine. :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd October 2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 373211)

I know – for years the theatrical cut was William Friedkin's preferred version and the extended one was the 'writer's cut', being William Peter Blatty's version of choice but, since Friedkin has now set the extended version is his favourite, it has taken precedence over the theatrical cut, which is almost like the supplementary feature.

The theatrical cut was the one I saw at the cinema and left an indelible impression on me, so will always be the version I turn to given the choice between the two.

Zann 22nd October 2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 373215)
I'm perfectly happy with the extended cut of The Exorcist. Personally, the complaints of pacing hold no water for me. I think it's fine. :)

Seeing the original so many times prior to the early 2000s extended release has made my preference unshakable...but to each their own. Still remember seeing a pirate when I was 11...it was and will always be the scariest thing I've seen on screen.

Zann 22nd October 2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 373219)
Still remember seeing a pirate when I was 11...it was and will always be the scariest thing I've seen on screen.

In the interest of clarity, I meant pirate as in video not pirate as in Jack Sparrow ;)

trebor8273 22nd October 2013 06:56 PM

Wreck it Ralph

Has to be my favourite Pixar next to toy story 1&3. One of the most fun and enjoyable movies I have seen in a long time. One of those movies I could never get bored of watching. Great characters and story, with lots of little Easter eggs for gamers to spot. Action, thrills,comedy and romance it has it all, definitely has a better love story than twilight. Fun for all ages. 10/10

Next up something completely different cat in the brain, which will be first time seeing this movie.

bdc 22nd October 2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 373000)
Well...just finished watching Sucker Punch (2011)...think I've watched the theatrical version as it says nowhere on the blu's which version they contain?
Anyway,it seems I watched the shorter version as I noticed the other version is longer.

Maybe I should watch the extended director's cut as well before doing a short review? ;)

Well...I've watched the extended director's cut as well now.

Short review (please keep in mind I'm tired. ;) )

"A young girl (Baby Doll) is locked away in a mental asylum by her abusive stepfather. She retreats to a fantastical world in her imagination where she and four other female inmates at the asylum, plot to escape the facility. The lines between reality and fantasy blur as Baby Doll and her four companions, as well as a mysterious guide, fight to retrieve the five items they need that will allow them to break free from their captors before it's too late...."

If this was an anime made by a Japanese crew it would probably get more praise...but it's not.

The main problem is that this was made by a US director for US audiences and the envisioned pg-13 rating does not help.

The whole voice-over and included "message" is obviously there for the mainstream audiences (who seem to have to be constantly told what's going on in a film) and is handled awkwardly (to say the least) as well.

The extended cut features footage where we actually see a "brothel show" being performed (which sort of lightens the mood of the film),more action (some obviously unfinished/lesser quality takes are also included) and what is probably the most important cut scene...the high roller scene at the end which wraps up Baby Doll's story perfectly.

It was probably cut for the pg-13 rating which is a real shame as this works really well.

Overall Sucker Punch certainly has it's moments but also some weaknesses...the film also feels rushed at times and not complete (the missing high roller scene in the theatrical version should have been kept in imho).

But it's probably the best live-action anime adaption style film I've seen. :lol:

Sucker Punch - Official HD Trailer by Zack Snyder - YouTube

Deleted "brothel show" dance scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-r6wxBdpWY

High roller scene alternate ending (SPOILERS!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFMsR02Ggx4

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd October 2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 373224)
Wreck it Ralph

Has to be my favourite Pixar next to toy story 1&3. One of the most fun and enjoyable movies I have seen in a long time. One of those movies I could never get bored of watching. Great characters and story, with lots of little Easter eggs for gamers to spot. Action, thrills,comedy and romance it has it all, definitely has a better love story than twilight. Fun for all ages. 10/10

Sorry to be a pedant, but it's not a Pixar film – it's made by Walt Disney Animation Studio. I really like it apart from the 'duty/doody' sequence.

trebor8273 22nd October 2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 373236)
Sorry to be a pedant, but it's not a Pixar film – it's made by Walt Disney Animation Studio. I really like it apart from the 'duty/doody' sequence.

Always thought it was, well you learn something new everyday. Also like the duty/doody sequence as well. Some great little scenes in this film. Really should of knowing as there's no Pixar lamp at beginning.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd October 2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 373237)
Always thought it was, well you learn something new everyday. Also like the duty/doody sequence as well. Some great little scenes in this film. Really should of knowing as there's no Pixar lamp at beginning.

I don't know if it was clear, but I don't like the duty/doody sequence as it feels far too juvenile and American – as far as I'm an, the British don't use the word 'doody' and I doubt it translates into other languages.

trebor8273 22nd October 2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 373241)
I don't know if it was clear, but I don't like the duty/doody sequence as it feels far too juvenile and American – as far as I'm an, the British don't use the word 'doody' and I doubt it translates into other languages.

I thought it was ok, but I did really enjoy the Felix/ Calhoun sub story / romance and the bad guy meeting.

Zangief: I relate to you, Ralph. When I hit bottom, I was crushing man's skull like sparrow's egg, between by thighs... and I think, why you have to be so bad, Zangief? Why can't you be more like good guy? Then I have moment of clarity... if Zangief is good guy, who will crush man's skull like sparrow's eggs between thighs? And I say, Zangief you are bad guy, but this does not mean you are *bad* guy.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd October 2013 08:21 PM

Yeah, the 'Villains anonymous' meetings were excellent and, like you, I like the romantic subplot with Felix. Is it wrong to find Calhoun attractive?

trebor8273 22nd October 2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 373244)
Yeah, the 'Villains anonymous' meetings were excellent and, like you, I like the romantic subplot with Felix. Is it wrong to find Calhoun attractive?

No it's not.

Cat in the brain

Really didn't seem much of a story, lucio fulci thinks he might be killing people so goes to see psychiatrist who is actually the killer and has lucio under his influence. But it just seems an excuse to have some very gory and brutal kills. 6/10

Next viewing I will be trying to see what's in the basket.

Nordicdusk 22nd October 2013 08:47 PM

14 Attachment(s)
Attachment 122855 Attachment 122856 Attachment 122857 Attachment 122858 Attachment 122859 Attachment 122860 Attachment 122861 Attachment 122862 Attachment 122863 Attachment 122864 Attachment 122865 Attachment 122866 Attachment 122867 Attachment 122868

All the films in the above list are great. Sorry i cant go into more detail on each film but im really sick all afternoon and even typing this is an effort sorry.

Frankie Teardrop 22nd October 2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 373245)
No it's not.

Cat in the brain

Really didn't seem much of a story, lucio fulci thinks he might be killing people so goes to see psychiatrist who is actually the killer and has lucio under his influence. But it just seems an excuse to have some very gory and brutal kills. 6/10

Shame you didn't seem to dig it too much - it's actually my favourite Fulci movie. That's pretty much a minority opinion, however. I just loved it from the moment I saw it, it's such a piece of unabashed cynicism, and seems to be about Lucio sneering at his audience with utter contempt. But it's also weirdly sophisticated (sort of, in an 'ideas' kind of way) for a grade z horror flick what with all the self-reflexivity and so forth in amongst the gore and the sleaze. Really odd film in many ways, not really that many like it at all, and I much prefer it to Johnny come lately postmodernists like 'Scream' and 'Cabin in the Woods'

J Harker 22nd October 2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 373233)
Well...I've watched the extended director's cut as well now.

Short review (please keep in mind I'm tired. ;) )

"A young girl (Baby Doll) is locked away in a mental asylum by her abusive stepfather. She retreats to a fantastical world in her imagination where she and four other female inmates at the asylum, plot to escape the facility. The lines between reality and fantasy blur as Baby Doll and her four companions, as well as a mysterious guide, fight to retrieve the five items they need that will allow them to break free from their captors before it's too late...."

If this was an anime made by a Japanese crew it would probably get more praise...but it's not.

The main problem is that this was made by a US director for US audiences and the envisioned pg-13 rating does not help.

The whole voice-over and included "message" is obviously there for the mainstream audiences (who seem to have to be constantly told what's going on in a film) and is handled awkwardly (to say the least) as well.

The extended cut features footage where we actually see a "brothel show" being performed (which sort of lightens the mood of the film),more action (some obviously unfinished/lesser quality takes are also included) and what is probably the most important cut scene...the high roller scene at the end which wraps up Baby Doll's story perfectly.

It was probably cut for the pg-13 rating which is a real shame as this works really well.

Overall Sucker Punch certainly has it's moments but also some weaknesses...the film also feels rushed at times and not complete (the missing high roller scene in the theatrical version should have been kept in imho).

But it's probably the best live-action anime adaption style film I've seen. :lol:

Sucker Punch - Official HD Trailer by Zack Snyder - YouTube

Deleted "brothel show" dance scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-r6wxBdpWY

High roller scene alternate ending (SPOILERS!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFMsR02Ggx4

Sounds like by and large you enjoyed it bdc. I just couldn't get past the fact that the huge amazing action sequenced were all her mind and therefore irrelevant. Thing is I like almost everything else Zach Snyder has done. Even that Owl bollocks is reasonable.

JoshuaKaitlyn 22nd October 2013 10:37 PM

World War Z (2013) :) No fault of the movie but it was kind of spoilt by my copy freezing every now and then! I think its a firmware problem with my player! First disc I've a problem with! (LG Smart Wi-Fi 3D BP620)

Susan Foreman 22nd October 2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 373245)

[Spoiler]"It's my brother"![/Spoiler]

keirarts 23rd October 2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 373251)
Sounds like by and large you enjoyed it bdc. I just couldn't get past the fact that the huge amazing action sequenced were all her mind and therefore irrelevant. Thing is I like almost everything else Zach Snyder has done. Even that Owl bollocks is reasonable.

The problem with sucker punch is it's SUPPOSED to be a feminist tract. The outlandish action scenes with the girls all in kinky fetish gear juxtaposed with the grim asylum scenes are supposed to be a critique of male fantasy images of women in cult fantasy. Trouble is it does not work. It feels like some bloke is trying to prove to the critics what a great feminist he is, except its feminism filtered through the male psyche. The girls are all being sexually abused in the asylum so they retreat to a 'reality' where they are working in a brothel, perhaps a more honest interpretation of their captivity rendered pointless by Snyder actually skirting over the whole sexual abuse thing for the PG-13. Then to escape that reality they retreat to one where they are superheroes. Their costumes they wear in the bordello become superhero costumes and the missions become superhero adventures to regain their freedom from 'male oppression'.

BIG problem is there is a whole extended length of the film where we the audience forget that they are in an asylum. In fact the whole thing becomes muddled and confusing thanks to the multiple layers of psychological reality the characters move through. Perhaps if the bordello stuff had been dropped at screenplay level and the film switched from reality (asylum) to fantasy (superheroics) then it might have worked. Then again Terry Gilliam did the whole thing much better many years ago with BRAZIL. Zach Snyder should have watched that first.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd October 2013 07:42 AM

Very well put.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd October 2013 07:52 AM

Sucker Punch reviewed by Mark Kermode - YouTube

Dave Boy 23rd October 2013 08:56 AM

Too many to review, but here is my list so far for my Halloween Horror film challenge.

1. THE VOODOO MAN (1944)
2. THE GORGON (1964)
3. SQUIRM(1976)
4. MAN MADE MONSTER (1941)
5. THE REPTILE (1966)
6. THE BLACK CAT (1934)
7. PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES (1966)
8. DRACULA (1931)
9. THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957)
10. THE BEAST MUST DIE (1973)
11. THE HAUNTING (1963)
12. POSSESSION (1981)
13. THE ALLIGATOR PEOPLE (1959)
14. DRACULA'S DAUGHTER (1936)
15. FRANKENSTEIN (1931)
16. THE DEVIL RIDES OUT (1968)
17. THE WICKER MAN (1973)
18. THE SKULL (1965)
19. RACE WITH THE DEVIL (1975)
20. NIGHT OF THE DEMON (1957)
21. I DON'T WANT TO BE BORN (1975)
22. SON OF DRACULA (1943)
23. THE MUMMY (1959)
24. THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935)
25. THEATER OF BLOOD (1973)
26. BLOOD OF THE VAMPIRE (1958)
27. SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (1939)
28. THE WOLFMAN (1941)
29. GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN (1942)
30. THE EXORCIST (1973)
31. DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE (1941)
32. FRANKENSTIEN MEETS THE WOLFMAN (1943)
33. HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1944)
34. HOUSE OF DRACULA (1945)
35. PHANTASM (1979)
36. DEATH LINE (1972)
37. THE BLOOD BEAST TERROR (1968)
38. DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978)
39. MARK OF THE VAMPIRE (1935)
40. THE UNCANNY (1977)
41. THE MAD GHOUL (1943)
42. MURDERS IN THE ZOO (1933)
43. DR. X (1932)
44. THE MUMMY (1932)

J Harker 23rd October 2013 09:01 AM

So he wasn't impressed either then. While the film is rubbish I can't say I particularly agree with most of Kermodes reasons why it's rubbish.
This whole thing about the costumes and the strip club and whether or not the film is misogynistic is irrelevant because 95% of the film doesn't even happen. To a much lesser extent the Matrix films suffer from the same problem. All the flashy action sequences are just bits of data in a computer.
One thing I think Mark Kermode was absolutely spot on with though - how can you take that many individual elements, pretty girls in skimpy gear fighting monsters and robots and Nazis with explosions and gunfire going off everywhere and end up with something so so boring?

sjconstable 23rd October 2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 373251)
Sounds like by and large you enjoyed it bdc. I just couldn't get past the fact that the huge amazing action sequenced were all her mind and therefore irrelevant.

Everything you experience is in your mind, just sayin'...

trebor8273 23rd October 2013 08:23 PM

Forbidden planet

Not much to say about this classic, apart from it looks amazing on blu and still after all this years looks better than most new sci films. Who needs fancy cgi ( are you listen Lucas ?). But of course the real star of this will always be Robbie. Also included are a fantastic amount of extras. 10/10

Hawkmonger 23rd October 2013 08:53 PM

Frankenhooker. From director of Basket Case, Frank Hennenlotter comes....this. And by and large...I really enjoyed it, its extremely tongue in cheek and silly. You know no one thought it was gonna be a classic but they rolled with it anyway. Best bit is probably the pimp getting a Glasgow kiss from a severed head! Ingenious:pound:

Prince_Vajda 23rd October 2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 373388)
Frankenhooker. From director of Basket Case, Frank Hennenlotter comes....this. And by and large...I really enjoyed it, its extremely tongue in cheek and silly. You know no one thought it was gonna be a classic but they rolled with it anyway. Best bit is probably the pimp getting a Glasgow kiss from a severed head! Ingenious:pound:

:p :peep: :bolt:

Demoncrat 23rd October 2013 10:40 PM

oh haha

AAAAnyway. Showed mate The Beyond, my crappy Vipco dvd as well, cough. Must get another version. He dug the ending and Dickie's attack. Next Nightmare Concert!!!

I also watched Paula-Paula. WOW.

I've also picked a doozie for the LA thread, Saturday bitches!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd October 2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 373411)

I've also picked a doozie for the LA thread, Saturday bitches!!

Is Saturday Bitches the film's title, or just an exclamation?

SCM 24th October 2013 10:06 AM

Watched Strippers Vs Werewolves last night. Such a boring movie, acting was average (decent little cameo from Martin Kemp though but really that was it). Hell Robert Englund couldn't save it.

Rondadoronron 24th October 2013 08:27 PM

What Films Have You Seen Recently?

Last couple of days ive been gnawing on raw meat shouting mind the doors and scratching myself,oh yeah and watched dis lot (and I managed to eat whole pack of choc hob nobs)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ZJ...w264-h207-p-nohttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/uM...w137-h207-p-nohttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/PU...w136-h207-p-nohttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/g8...w135-h207-p-nohttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/Yl...w137-h207-p-nohttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/zO...w136-h207-p-no

trebor8273 24th October 2013 08:32 PM

Just started the fury it looks stunning what another fantastic job by arrow. This scared the crap out of me as a kid, didn't get any sleep that night I was terrified