Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Bringer Of Funerals 2nd April 2013 11:04 PM

Ive bought the Girl With the dragon tattoo films on blu, havent had a chance to watch them yet, any good

J Harker 3rd April 2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 332497)
Ive bought the Girl With the dragon tattoo films on blu, havent had a chance to watch them yet, any good

Got the dvd set. Only watched the first one though. It's good but not as good as the book in my opinion.

J Harker 3rd April 2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 332474)
Yes I did, and it was definitely using all eight speakers, including the subwoofer!

Not me just having my amp settings wrong then! Cheers mate.

Vampix 3rd April 2013 01:39 AM

Just watched Poltergeist, it's not a bad film just a bit too sugar-coated for my liking in certain parts (probably Spielberg's influence).I liked it more when I was younger.I still enjoy the ending when all the coffins are popping up everywhere.The mummified corpses inside look like they've come right out of Hooper's Texas Chainsaw Massacre. :)

trebor8273 3rd April 2013 09:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
some recent viewings.

Rik 3rd April 2013 10:30 AM

Couple of films last night via Netflix because I couldn't sleep, seen both before just not got round to buying them yet. The Amityville remake is pretty good, although a little predictable (aren't all films like this?) and Hostel:Part III is a lot of fun, just don't expect it to be like the first two parts.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://p.playserver1.com/ProductImag..._300x300_1.jpg

J Harker 3rd April 2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 332506)
Just watched Poltergeist, it's not a bad film just a bit too sugar-coated for my liking in certain parts (probably Spielberg's influence).I liked it more when I was younger.I still enjoy the ending when all the coffins are popping up everywhere.The mummified corpses inside look like they've come right out of Tobe Hooper's classic TCM. :)

I watched it for the first time recently. I loved it. You can see a lot of Speilberg-ishness working it's way in their but I think the film carries enough scaresand weirdness to balance it out.

Rik 3rd April 2013 10:35 AM

I'll always have a soft spot for Poltergeist because it's one of the first horrors I watched as a kid (much to the annoyance of my parents and a stern bollocking for my cousin for letting me watch it with him), the bathroom mirror scene used to scare the shit outta me! The first sequel is good too, with part 3 being the worst of the trilogy, but still worth a couple of quid IMO

J Harker 3rd April 2013 11:01 AM

I actually watched the second one years ago. Was ok as I recall.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 3rd April 2013 11:54 AM

I haven't seen the Poltergeist sequels and, because I really like Poltergeist, I'm not sure if I really want to.

Rik 3rd April 2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 332542)
I haven't seen the Poltergeist sequels and, because I really like Poltergeist, I'm not sure if I really want to.

Like I said, part 2 is good, one reason being it stars the same family whereas 3 only has Carol Anne

SilverGunnar Hansen 3rd April 2013 01:30 PM

Dark Skies - This was a pleasant surprise, if you like Poltergeist you'll either like it even more or hate it with a passion, since it seems close to the unproduced script Spielberg had that split into ET and Poltergeist. Very solid acting and some good human drama, the scares are very obvious but overall I enjoyed it more than I expected. 7/10

Dark Skies (2013) Movie Review from Eye for Film

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 3rd April 2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 332557)
Like I said, part 2 is good, one reason being it stars the same family whereas 3 only has Carol Anne

If they are available to rent through Lovefilm, I'll add them to my rental list.

tele1962 3rd April 2013 03:56 PM

Just watched Dracula 3D (Dario Argento) and i was thouroughly entertained to be honest. It was like an old school horror, blood & guts, nudity. 3D had plenty of depth, PQ and audio were good to. I know some will think i am :crazy: but not half as bad a film as some have made out IMO but i would maybe wait for a UK release if anyone is thinking about a purchase. :)

PS
It only has DD5.1 not DTS-HD MA as it say's on the cover.

Rik 3rd April 2013 04:19 PM

I didn't mind it, wasn't blown away by it but it certainly isn't his worst film, it is the worst Dracula though

trebor8273 3rd April 2013 04:59 PM

Watching mad max, is it just me or is mel Gibson dubbed, his voice sounds weird and lip sync seems out.

Prince_Vajda 3rd April 2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 332623)
Watching mad max, is it just me or is mel Gibson dubbed, his voice sounds weird and lip sync seems out.

The whole movie is dubbed. The general public was too stupid for Australian accents...

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2

demonknight 3rd April 2013 05:05 PM

Watched The Godfather on Monday evening last.
Great movie, looking forward to part two shortly.
All the actors were great but Brando was awesome.
Excellent stuff all round.

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd April 2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 332623)

If you're watching it with the American soundtrack, where everyone's voice has been dubbed by Americans, then yes even Gibson was dubbed.

trebor8273 3rd April 2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 332627)
If you're watching it with the American soundtrack, where everyone's voice has been dubbed by Americans, then yes even Gibson was dubbed.

Thanks just changed it, the dub was awful, any idea why it was changed, was it so Americans could understand what was being said?

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd April 2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 332629)
Thanks just changed it, the dub was awful, any idea why it was changed, was it so Americans could understand what was being said?

Yeah, there's quite a bit of Australian slang in the film too, so they just changed everything. It sounds awful.

A few bits dubbed in the international version of Crocodile Dundee (by the original actors) as well, to change some Australian words.

trebor8273 3rd April 2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 332631)
Yeah, there's quite a bit of Australian slang in the film too, so they just changed everything. It sounds awful.

A few bits dubbed in the international version of Crocodile Dundee (by the original actors) as well, to change some Australian words.

Thanks again and agree it sounds awful, shouldn't be set as the default audio.

Prince_Vajda 3rd April 2013 05:53 PM

My posts seem to be ignored by the general public. Alright with me.

trebor8273 3rd April 2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 332642)

Sorry , thanks prince

Prince_Vajda 3rd April 2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 332645)
Sorry , thanks prince

I simply was too fast, and I am a bit edgy at the moment...apart from that, everything's fine. Don't worry. :)

As for 'Mad Max': a very good movie. The second film's also great.

trebor8273 3rd April 2013 06:05 PM

I actually can't ever remember see the first 2 only seen the last but enjoying the first.

Dave Boy 3rd April 2013 06:21 PM

The Man With The Severed Head :bored:

Hawkmonger 3rd April 2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 332649)
I actually can't ever remember see the first 2 only seen the last but enjoying the first.

I could never get BEYOND Thunderdome....boom(!)?

Ah that jokes old, anyway, MM is simply a joy for me. Anything from Oz and is set in the Apocalypse is good enough for me, which reminds me that I still haven't ordered Dead End Drive In....any good?

Rik 3rd April 2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 332642)

Did anyone feel a draft then? :tongue1:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...3FxVCaGiU9pVKY

Hawkmonger 3rd April 2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 332699)
Did anyone feel a draft then? :tongue1:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...3FxVCaGiU9pVKY

To soon, I fear the worst.

Rik 3rd April 2013 07:28 PM

I'm sure Prince knows my sense of humour well enough by now to know I'm only messing :)

Hawkmonger 3rd April 2013 07:32 PM

Not to comment for him, but he seem's a bit fractious at the moment. I swear he said he was leaving earlier.:confused:

Anyway, i'm about to watch The Blood Stained Shadow. :pop2:

gag 3rd April 2013 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Watched American Mary other day and on horror channel Emily booth was interviewing them, don't care what anyone says I really don't think Jen and Sylvia Sosa are attractive as people are raving on about,

Vampix 4th April 2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 332659)

There had to be a reason Arrow were giving away free DVDs of this flick. :D

keirarts 4th April 2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 332816)
There had to be a reason Arrow were giving away free DVDs of this flick. :D

Not watched mine yet, but some naschy stuff can have that effect!

Prince_Vajda 4th April 2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 332659)

Better than any sleeping pill on the market, me thinks. I can also recommend The Ghost Galleon or Devils of Darkness as a night cap.

Greetings!

JoshuaKaitlyn 4th April 2013 09:17 AM

From 1932:

Three Broadway Girls
The Mummy
Call Her Savage
Towed In A Hole
Red Dust
Bird Of Paradise
Vampyr
The Island Of Lost Souls
The Old Dark House

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post332845

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post332847

keirarts 4th April 2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 332850)
From 1932:

Three Broadway Girls
The Mummy
Call Her Savage
Towed In A Hole
Red Dust
Bird Of Paradise
Vampyr
The Island Of Lost Souls
The Old Dark House

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post332845

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post332847

Island of lost souls, old dark house and vampyr are three of my favourites.

gag 4th April 2013 05:03 PM

Penumbra not a bad little thriller one that's doesn't relie on plenty of going on just a slow burner that builds up very well reasonable acted and atmopshere etc only problem was the end result I'm not sure if I Actualy understood it.

JoshuaKaitlyn 4th April 2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 332852)
Island of lost souls, old dark house and vampyr are three of my favourites.

Wasn't keen on 'Vampyr'. As for the other two, Charles Laughton! Enough said! :nod: