Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

sjconstable 4th May 2014 12:01 PM

Real Steel - 2.5/5
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 3.5/5
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II - 3/5
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III - 2.5/5
Electric Dreams - 3/5
Paycheck - 1.5/5
Southland Tales - 2/5
The Nines - 3/5

It was my first time revisiting the Turtles films since the '90s, my hunch was right that even though I liked the second one best as a kid, the first one would turn out to be the best now - it was a bit too dark and gritty when I was little! I'm looking forward to seeing how the new one fares, it doesn't look too bad from the trailer apart from Shredder no longer being Japanese, wtf?

Maxsimmus 4th May 2014 01:45 PM

Watched the new Robocop movie and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it , no where near as violent as the original (think it might be a 15 or even 12 cert ) but still an enjoyable action/sci fi movie.

Also watched the new Stallone/DeNiro movie , Grudge Match which is ok and does what it says on the tin , have to say one of the highlights is in the end credits and worth waiting for .

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th May 2014 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rock of Ages (2012)

To many Rock of Ages would be seen as a guilty pleasure or even a thing of hatred, but i love the music of the LA scene that became famous worldwide from 1984-93 and sold millions of records. So much so that the US and UK charts seemed to be taken over by the likes of Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Poison, Guns n' Roses, Motley Crue, Extreme etc. Many of them bands who originated nowhere near the hair metal capitol of the world but who all looked and sounded like they did.

Rock of Ages is just a lot of fun, admittedly the plot is slight, yet entertaining none the less, with enthusiastic performances from Alec Baldwin, Paul Giamatti, Russell Brand, Catherine Zeta Jones, Mary J Blige, Malin Ackerman and Tom Cruise doing an amusing turn as Axl Rose alike Stacee Jaxx. Of the two main characters, Country singer Julianne Hough does well but Diego Boneta doesn't have the rock and roll personality to be the hero.

Whilst clearly set in 1986, hence the massive, frequently seen billboards for Iron Maiden's Somewhere in Time, Slayer's Reign in Blood, Motorhead's Orgasmatron and Poison's Look What the Cat Dragged In. Those pedantic enough can argue that much of the music used came in the years following. However this really didn't bother me as i found it all a joy to behold from beginning to end.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th May 2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 402397)
Rock of Ages (2012)

I hated just about every minute of Rock of Ages, even being a fan of most of the music!

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th May 2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 402399)
I hated just about every minute of Rock of Ages, even being a fan of most of the music!

I fully appreciate your sentiments. It is a musical though and the plot has to be advanced via dialogue and song. Exactly how you can do this whilst singing Pour Some Sugar On Me i don't know?

The story is also cliched, perhaps it caught me on a good night. Possibly a similar night to when i watched Mama Mia (God i loathe Abba) and enjoyed it.

Rik 4th May 2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxsimmus (Post 402376)
Watched the new Robocop movie and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it , no where near as violent as the original (think it might be a 15 or even 12 cert ) but still an enjoyable action/sci fi movie.

I watched this the other day and as much as it pains me to write this, I actually enjoyed it too, not a patch on the original, but still an enjoyable enough film :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th May 2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 402401)
I fully appreciate your sentiments. It is a musical though and the plot has to be advanced via dialogue and song. Exactly how you can do this whilst singing Pour Some Sugar On Me i don't know?

The story is also cliched, perhaps it caught me on a good night. Possibly a similar night to when i watched Mama Mia (God i loathe Abba) and enjoyed it.

I haven't seen Mamma Mia, though it is on my 'to watch' list. I like rock operas, but Rock of Ages seem to fail where the much better one succeed, with Tom Cruise's performance as one of the worst aspects. In terms of furthering the plot through song, I hated Moulin Rouge as well!

Make Them Die Slowly 4th May 2014 05:29 PM

FRANCES HA. Not the type of thing I would normally watch but I am trying to keep the sex and violence out of my viewing and firmly in my personal life only. This rather charming comedy follows Frances, a would be dancer, as her life slowly falls apart and she faces the prospect of being unemployed and homeless. Rather than reaching for a drill and offing tramps, Frances just rolls with whatever life has to offer her and is an eternal optimist believing she will achieve her dreams. Recommended.

trebor8273 4th May 2014 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 402402)
I watched this the other day and as much as it pains me to write this, I actually enjoyed it too, not a patch on the original, but still an enjoyable enough film :nod:

Just watched and was expecting a big pile of poo, but I really enjoyed it. It's different enough to stand on its own and didn't deserve the level of hate it got on release(far worse remakes out there). With have some fantastic acting from the likes of micheal Keaton , Samuel L Jackson and Gary Oldman who is fantastic (as usual). The original is still the best but this is a solid 7.5/10 for me.

trebor8273 4th May 2014 08:36 PM

The tingler

A great classic with the one and only Vincent Price given a great performance as a doctor investigating people who have died of broken spines, he discovers a creature called the tingler which feeds on the emotion of fear, it can be stopped by screaming. 8.5/10

Next up pet cemetery. I will be sleeping with the lights on tonight thanks too the lovely zelda.

keirarts 4th May 2014 09:37 PM

Trans-Europe Express.

Alain Robbe-grillet and his associates sit on a train and begin to discuss ideas for a new film. As they begin to formulate an idea for a crime film the film cuts back and forth to the film they are plotting. At points the film and 'reality' intersect. Jean-louis Trintingant in character enters the carriage and they acknowledge him.

The film takes the traditional structure and formula of the crime movie and dissects it with far more skill and intelligence than the massively overrated A bout de souffle. Plot points and character motivation change as the film progresses and the team back-track over stuff thats illogical. A really sadean streak runs through the film as well with Trintignant's character and his femme fatale mistress.

I have to confess to not having come across Robbe-grillet's stuff before. I'm glad I did as he's really quite a marvelous film-maker.

Successive slidings of pleasure.

A young woman is suspected of murdering her roommate. She's taken into custody into a convent. There she is interrogated and begins to use her wiles to seduce her captors. The film seems stuck inside the main characters head. Given that the main character seems to be a lying sadist the film plays as some kind of dark sadean nightmare that flashes back and forth through time and has some genuinely weird and perverse imagery and ideas. In many respects its a world away from the deconstructive black and white world of Trans-europe, yet its themes and imagery mark it as the work of the same director. I suppose its arguable that the film deconstructs the murder mystery from within the psyche of the suspect so in that respect its approach has some similarities to trans-europe.

Really glad I picked these films up. Given Tim Lucas has been working on some audio commentaries for the BFI set, I will most likely double dip.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th May 2014 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Airborne (2012)

Another winner from British producer Jonathan Sothcott (Dead Cert, Devil's Playground, Strippers vs Werewolves). This time it's a genuinely gripping thriller about a disparate group of strangers on a red eye flight from London to New York.

Starring Mark Hamill, Julian Glover, crafty cockney Simon Phillips and Gemma Atkinson. Airborne is a pacy, mystery, thrill ride with a well written script and great direction from novice director Dominic Burns who creates an atmosphere of tension from the off. All helped by the fact the team were actually able to film the whole thing in a full size transatlantic aeroplane.

To go into the story would spoil it so i won't, but i would recommend this to any fans of well crafted, low budget, film making.

Linbro 4th May 2014 11:28 PM

'Assault on Precinct 13' - first viewing, believe it or not, and I really enjoyed it. The low budget shows a couple of times, but nothing too distracting. Carpenter reached his peak a few years later with 'The Thing', then seemed to shoot himself in the foot. What a waste.
Still in shock re. the ice-cream van scene!

'Doomsday' - sort of ok action/sci fi flick, that 'borrows' heavily from 'Escape From New York', '28 Days Later', 'Aliens', 'Mad Max' etc, etc.
Performances and direction were ok, the script seemed to be the biggest problem. I started losing interest when they reached the castle, and it got a bit too silly, and lame one liners replaced any tension that had been built up.
Maybe Marshall is the next Carpenter - started in a blaze of glory, then fell in a hole?

Linbro 5th May 2014 12:10 AM

'Tales From the Crypt' - like most anthologies there are a couple of good stories, and a couple of not so good. Can't remember the actual titles, but I really liked the Santa Claus killer, and the car crash stories, and really disliked the Monkeys Paw story. The 'home for the blind' story sort of fell in between. Didn't know that Joan Collins was so hot, in her early years!

Make Them Die Slowly 5th May 2014 06:35 AM

IRON MAN II. Saggy follow up to the first film that takes ages until shit blows up.

STAR TREK. Non stop blowing up of shit.

SCM 5th May 2014 09:18 AM

Watched Gozu last night, boy that was messed up. That birthing scene was horrible.
Then watched planet terror, I decided to watch it scratch free which was a regret. It takes away something which was crap because it's a great film.

J Harker 5th May 2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linbro (Post 402425)
'Assault on Precinct 13' - first viewing, believe it or not, and I really enjoyed it. The low budget shows a couple of times, but nothing too distracting. Carpenter reached his peak a few years later with 'The Thing', then seemed to shoot himself in the foot. What a waste.
Still in shock re. the ice-cream van scene!

'Doomsday' - sort of ok action/sci fi flick, that 'borrows' heavily from 'Escape From New York', '28 Days Later', 'Aliens', 'Mad Max' etc, etc.
Performances and direction were ok, the script seemed to be the biggest problem. I started losing interest when they reached the castle, and it got a bit too silly, and lame one liners replaced any tension that had been built up.
Maybe Marshall is the next Carpenter - started in a blaze of glory, then fell in a hole?

Has to be said I really like Doomsday, I actually don't think Neil Marshall has made a bad film yet though I do wish he'd hurry up and make some more. I think The Descent is probably his high point.

keirarts 5th May 2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCM (Post 402440)
Watched Gozu last night, boy that was messed up. That birthing scene was horrible.
Then watched planet terror, I decided to watch it scratch free which was a regret. It takes away something which was crap because it's a great film.

Have you seen visitor Q? If you thought Gozu was messed up you aint seen nothing!!! :lol:

SCM 5th May 2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 402443)
Have you seen visitor Q? If you thought Gozu was messed up you aint seen nothing!!! :lol:

Not yet

keirarts 5th May 2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCM (Post 402444)
Not yet

Well worth checking out. Brace yourself though!

Invid Ninja 5th May 2014 11:32 AM

Just finished my second year at university so have finally squeezed more time into some films: here are I feel two of the highlights. :)

http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/pro...529.1020.A.jpg

55 Days At Peking (1963) Dir. Nicholas Ray

I genuinely have a real soft spot for the grandiose historical epics of the 50's and 60's with this being one of the Samuel Bronston super-productions that I hadn't heard of until it's recent Blu release. It's an admittedly, very romanticised depiction of the latter half of the Boxer Rebellion in China but for me it's carried by much of the hallmarks which make these films immensely watchable. A dependable cast of classic big-screen stars wading through beautiful, gigantic sets with ravishing costumes aplenty and a good few wide scale action sequences. :nod: The Dimitri Tiomkin musical score is a big cherry on top to boot. My kind of Sunday afternoon movie. :pop2:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BnkQgw8qA1...Poster%2B1.jpg

Sorcerer (1977) Dir. William Friedkin

Now hand on heart, I haven't seen the original 1953 film of The Wages Of Fear which I know for most film aficionados is supposedly superior to this long forgotten American remake. Saying that, I have been waiting years to see this film for the first time in a watchable form and was very pleasantly surprised to see it finally given a Blu release. To keep it brief, this is exactly my kind of film all over. Amazing Tangerine Dream score, brilliant acting all around, an utterly tangible, intoxicating atmosphere and some of the absolute best thriller sequences I have genuinely ever seen on film. It's reputation as an overlooked gem of 70's cinema is thoroughly well-deserved and then some. A truly great thriller, the likes of which I feel we won't be seeing again. :rockon:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th May 2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 402442)
Has to be said I really like Doomsday, I actually don't think Neil Marshall has made a bad film yet though I do wish he'd hurry up and make some more. I think The Descent is probably his high point.

I also don't think Neil Marshall has made a bad film and, like you think The Descent is his best – it's one of the finest horror films made in the last 20 years.

J Harker 5th May 2014 03:41 PM

Just come back from the Vue after seeing Amazing Spiderman 2. Surprised the flack this has been getting as I really enjoyed it and it was a big improvement on the last one. Still don't like the electric/mechanical web shooters though.

Bringer Of Funerals 5th May 2014 04:58 PM

You really need to see Visitor Q that film is messed up and pretty unique - it won't disappoint you

SShaw 5th May 2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCM (Post 402440)

Was Gozu not recently reissued in 3D (2013 in Germany)? I guess the rebirthing scene could become even more disturbing in 3D :)

trebor8273 5th May 2014 06:49 PM

Scream and scream again.

What the hell was that about, thankfully Cushing , lee and price only had a small amount of screen time in this very confusing , un aspiring and boring film. 6/10 .

Next up island of terror which is a bit of a guilty pleasure.

sjconstable 5th May 2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 402472)
Was Gozu not recently reissued in 3D (2013 in Germany)? I guess the rebirthing scene could become even more disturbing in 3D :)

2D films aren't flat - we perceive depth in the image, so how can the artificially layered effect of a 3D conversion make something appear more disturbing?

keirarts 5th May 2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 402472)

In fairness I think thats more to do with the germans getting worried people might get fed up of buying multiple hard boxes of the same title so now there adding 3d to their bootlegs...

I'm kidding of course... (or am I ;))

keirarts 5th May 2014 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 402479)
In fairness I think thats more to do with the germans getting worried people might get fed up of buying multiple hard boxes of the same title so now there adding 3d to their bootlegs...

I'm kidding of course... (or am I ;))

SERIOUSLY I AM KIDDING!

Went to see Amazing spider-meh 2 this evening.

Thought it was interesting to see spider-meh fight doctor manhattan, Jamie Foxx was good as the watchmen fave and would be a shoe-in over Billy Crudup for any sequel. The pantomime dame green goblin and the robo-rhino monstrosity were also....interesting. Because god forbid they should try and make characters that in any way resemble the source material. I mean, who would want to see that!? **ahem** AVENGERS! ***ahem**

trebor8273 5th May 2014 08:37 PM

Island of terror

Not one of fishers best films but as I said its a guilty pleasure of mine and it's enjoyable 90 minutes thanks to the top notch cast and script. But I really was expecting the third doctor and unit to turn up at some point as I found it to be very similar too a pertwee era doctor who. 8/10

Next up hatchet 3,

J Harker 5th May 2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 402480)
SERIOUSLY I AM KIDDING!

Went to see Amazing spider-meh 2 this evening.

Thought it was interesting to see spider-meh fight doctor manhattan, Jamie Foxx was good as the watchmen fave and would be a shoe-in over Billy Crudup for any sequel. The pantomime dame green goblin and the robo-rhino monstrosity were also....interesting. Because god forbid they should try and make characters that in any way resemble the source material. I mean, who would want to see that!? **ahem** AVENGERS! ***ahem**

I thought Jamie Foxx looked like The Emperor from Star Wars. Liked the Rhino suit. The Goblin looked silly but so did Willem Dafoe's version.

wonderlust 6th May 2014 12:49 AM

Blood Glacier, {2013}

http://blueprintreview.co.uk/wp-cont...22-726x248.jpg

keirarts 6th May 2014 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 402499)
I thought Jamie Foxx looked like The Emperor from Star Wars. Liked the Rhino suit. The Goblin looked silly but so did Willem Dafoe's version.

Agree about the Green Goblin suit in the Raimi version, but Willem Dafoe was perfect as Norman Osborne, thought this new bloke was a bit crap.

SCM 6th May 2014 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 402459)
You really need to see Visitor Q that film is messed up and pretty unique - it won't disappoint you

My mate has it so I'll have to ask him for a shot of it

J Harker 6th May 2014 06:33 PM

Last night Young Frankenstein, hilarious in places but like most of Mel Brooks stuff wildly uneven.

trebor8273 6th May 2014 06:44 PM

Hatchet 3.

As others have said a improvement on the second, with great gore and black humour and for me victory Crowley ranks up there with the likes of Freddy and Jason and it some ways this is what the Friday the 13th could of been (gore wise) if not for the censors. 8.5/10

Next up silver streak which seems a great film for a sunny evening to unwind with.

Edit

Decided to leave silver streak till the weekend, and decided to watch andromeda strain years since I've seen it hope it's as good as I remember

JoshuaKaitlyn 6th May 2014 07:08 PM

Paradox Soldiers (2010) A sequel apparently about a group of WWII reenactors that get caught in in some sort of time distortion field and are transported back to the Russian front. A Russian movie that didnt really explain why or how they had been transported back as well as a few other things!

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th May 2014 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Day of the Outlaw (1959)

Memorable western whose protagonists are as cruel and unforgiving as the bleak isolated wintry landscapes of Wyoming. Stark black and white photography maximizes the impact of the brutal uncompromizing weather conditions. Starring Robert Ryan and Burl Ives, Day of the Outlaw is a western that ignores the usual genre cliche's and is sure to make you turn up the heating.

trebor8273 7th May 2014 08:47 PM

Pet semetery

One of the few films along with candy man that still chills me every time I watch it. Like most king movies the book is a lot better but for me this is one of the better adaptations. Most of the cast are good in there roles but fred gwynne is fantastic as Jud Crandall and exactly what you imagine him to look and sound like from the book. Highlights are zelda and dead Gage( especially in that dress and hat which is very creepy) 8.5/10

Andromeda strain.

A true classic that looks fantastic on blu ray. Acting, direction, script are all top notch. Some people might find it slow and boring, but the slow pace adds tension and character development. 10/10

Next up bloodsucking freaks and manborg

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th May 2014 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Invasion USA (1985)

Billy Drago gets his knackers blown off.

Richard Lynch decides to invade America.

Chuck Norris takes it upon himself to stop him.

To quote MTDS "Shit blows up".