Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

nosferatu42 8th August 2013 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invid Ninja (Post 357192)
Just got back from the Prince Charles Cinema in London doing a second run of the 35mm print they obtained of Michael Mann's The Keep. :pop2: Second time I've seen the film and I still absolutely love it, warts and all. I do hope one day a Blu will be on the cards. :smow:

'The Keep' is on film 4 again next Thursday (15th) as part of their frightfest season if anyone still hasn't seen it, i know its not on dvd so felt that i should let everyone know. I quite like it myself. :)
They've also got Re-animator, Scanners, Don't look now, Dog Soldiers, Basket Case & Inferno ,all great films that i would urge everyone to see if they haven't already. (i'm sure most of you have):nod:
Also showing Splice which i quite liked when i saw it, had a distinctly Cronenbergian feel to it i thought. Was well acted and interesting, one of my favourite monster movies of recent years.:pop2:

nosferatu42 8th August 2013 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 357114)
If "Carry on Camping" is not everyone's favourite of the franchise it must be close to the top of the pile!
In order to finish this post it would be prudent to tell everyone which was my favourite "Carry On..." film, well stuff y', I'm not going to! :tongue1:

Mine must be 'Camping' and 'Carry on Screaming'. :)

Delirium 8th August 2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Just got back from the Prince Charles Cinema in London doing a second run of the 35mm print they obtained of Michael Mann's The Keep. :pop2: Second time I've seen the film and I still absolutely love it, warts and all. I do hope one day a Blu will be on the cards. :smow:

I'm a member of the PCC too. Saw that was on, but couldn't be bothered last night as too tired and needed an early night. Seen it a few times though.

Rik 8th August 2013 09:29 AM

Finally got round to watching The Warriors last night (Nordicdusk can get off my back now :tongue1:), really enjoyed it and will definitely add it to my collection in the near future. It was the director's cut, with the comic book style scene transitions, is this cut better or worse than the standard version?

Followed it with American Psycho, despite being a bit of a let down on the gore front if you've read the book, I still enjoy this film and watch it every couple of years or so. I only discovered last night that Mila Kunis is in the sequel, never bothered with it before due to it's stature as being ultra-crap, but I'm thinking I might give it a watch for the lovely Ms Kunis :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th August 2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 357225)
I only discovered last night that Mila Kunis is in the sequel, never bothered with it before due to it's stature as being ultra-crap, but I'm thinking I might give it a watch for the lovely Ms Kunis :nod:

I didn't rate the Bale film but every time i see the sequel on offer i almost buy it cos' of Mila.

troggi 8th August 2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Followed it with American Psycho, despite being a bit of a let down on the gore front if you've read the book, I still enjoy this film and watch it every couple of years or so. I only discovered last night that Mila Kunis is in the sequel, never bothered with it before due to it's stature as being ultra-crap, but I'm thinking I might give it a watch for the lovely Ms Kunis :nod:

I know that people rate "American Psycho" for precisely the reason that I find it impossible to read. To me it is an impenetrable list of status symbols and designer goods. Yes, I understand that this is key to the story but I cannot get past that list and into the meat of the story.

PaulD 8th August 2013 11:30 AM

The sequel is an utter disgrace. It's unbelievably poor.

Rik 8th August 2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 357252)
The sequel is an utter disgrace. It's unbelievably poor.

Not surpring considering William SHATner is in it too! :peep:

trebor8273 8th August 2013 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
RIIIIIIIiikkk!

gag 8th August 2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Finally got round to watching The Warriors last night (Nordicdusk can get off my back now :tongue1:), really enjoyed it and will definitely add it to my collection in the near future. It was the director's cut, with the comic book style scene transitions, is this cut better or worse than the standard version?

There is a lot of debate about the directors cut being worse, to be homest its not REALY that much of a big deal and doesn't ruin the film, but at the same time it doesnt improve it either its mainly the cartoon comic book style thats the only difference, but If had to choose then I would stick with the original, but good to see you've finally got round to seeing classic film, what took you so long it's one of my all time favs, watch it every year at least 3 times and never get bored off it,

Rik 8th August 2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 357272)
what took you so long it's one of my all time favs, watch it every year at least 3 times and never get bored off it,

I'd just never got round to watching it, no other reason, it's been on my Lovefilm list for ages and finally arrived the other day.
A mate of mine has some impressive Warriors related tattoos

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...50210732_o.jpg

Demoncrat 8th August 2013 04:17 PM

Revenge In The House Of Usher. Watched this last night, as always JF's cameo a delight. Decent enought print etc. Best of the later ones that I've seen so far.

Nordicdusk 8th August 2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Nice one Rik i knew you would like it but yes there is a BUT i wont stay off your back until you LOVE the film :lol:

Most people that are fans of the film cant stand the directors cut but i really honestly dont mind it at all. The Blu Ray PQ is fantastic well worth picking up and some great interviews with some of the stars of the film looking back on the film. Always great to see the actors look back with good memories of a film they acted in 20 years or so before.

Rik 8th August 2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 357347)
The Blu Ray PQ is fantastic well worth picking up and some great interviews with some of the stars of the film looking back on the film. Always great to see the actors look back with good memories of a film they acted in 20 years or so before.

I never watch the extras whenever I enjoy a film I rent, I always save them for when I buy the disc myself, which in this case will be in a few weeks once all this months pre-orders are out of the way.

ArgentoFan1987 8th August 2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

The Keep is one of those films that I'm absolutely desperate to see. Been looking for it on DVD, but (like Terry Gilliam's Brazil) is nowhere to be found.

ArgentoFan1987 8th August 2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 357200)
'The Keep' is on film 4 again next Thursday (15th) as part of their frightfest season if anyone still hasn't seen it, i know its not on dvd so felt that i should let everyone know. I quite like it myself. :)
They've also got Re-animator, Scanners, Don't look now, Dog Soldiers, Basket Case & Inferno ,all great films that i would urge everyone to see if they haven't already. (i'm sure most of you have):nod:
Also showing Splice which i quite liked when i saw it, had a distinctly Cronenbergian feel to it i thought. Was well acted and interesting, one of my favourite monster movies of recent years.:pop2:

Thanks for letting me know!!! I'll stay up to see it :D

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th August 2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 357355)
The Keep is one of those films that I'm absolutely desperate to see. Been looking for it on DVD, but (like Terry Gilliam's Brazil) is nowhere to be found.

:confused: Brazil is readily available on dvd and Blu in the UK and the US.

ArgentoFan1987 8th August 2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

I loved The Warriors (which I watched for the first time a few months back). I expected it to be a cheesy bunch of shite, but actually really enjoyed it! I shouldn't've judged a book by its cover

I've got so much to say right now, just notices I've posted three times in a row!!' That's because I've posted after reading every comment I want to respond to, instead of reading them all first and THEN posting.

On to the Carry On... Films. Never been a fan at all, but did really like Screaming! Probably because I'm such a fan of Hammer Horrors and neither Did James nor Barbara Windsor were in it!

American Psycho is one of the most over-rated films I've ever seen. Don't see the big deal AT ALL. Do want to see the sequel for, but only for the reason Rik already stated.

End of Life Story!!!

ArgentoFan1987 8th August 2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 357361)
:confused: Brazil is readily available on dvd and Blu in the UK and the US.

Is it?!!! I can never find it!

I actually only want to see it for one line that's used in Lord Abortion by Cradle of Filth.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th August 2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 357365)
Is it?!!! I can never find it!

I actually only want to see it for one line that's used in Lord Abortion by Cradle of Filth.

You can pick up the dvd from Amazon marketplace for under £2.

ArgentoFan1987 8th August 2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 357371)
You can pick up the dvd from Amazon marketplace for under £2.

Wonder why I couldn't find it before?

Thanks for that, btw :D

SShaw 8th August 2013 08:48 PM

Another trip to the Kino to see This is the End. I am not sure this will age well, but tonight it was good, if forgettable fun.

Frankie Teardrop 9th August 2013 09:25 AM

LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH - I always forget how much I love this film. It's surely up there with 'Messiah Of Evil' in the low-key but atmospherically threatening seventies low budget stakes. Like MOE it has a really insidious, faintly trippy quality and in places oozes a kind of doom laden malevolence in telling its tale of a post-psyche ward lady and her beatnik friends starting over in a desolate town, only to face mental collapse or supernatural onslaught (you be the judge, interpretations are open). For me, it has almost everything I ever look for in a movie - dreamlike detachment, weird electronic score, that strange semi abstract but intimate feel of seventies cinema. The performances are sometimes quite striking, too - the hippy runaway chick who inveigles her way into the crew's new house and who's maybe also a vampiric ghost (? or something, LSCJTD doesn't particularly pander to expectations of clarity or even sense really) totally gives me the creeps. There's just something about her leering face and the look in her eyes which is subtly wrong. I think maybe I've reviewed this before, but what the hell - LSJTD is fully deserving of your attention and I can't recommend it enough.

MACABRE - I feel pretty positively about 'Macabre'. I can understand how many might find it a bit 'meh', because, outside of a few 'highlights', almost nothing happens for most of its run time. Actually that's not true at all, what 'happens' is a simmering non-romance running one way between a blind tuba restorer and another traumatised post-psyche ward lady. That could be rubbish, or really (?good?) in a different kind of film, but it's neither because 'Macabre' is just such an odd flick. I don't know why, but it made me think of a hack-job Polanski - maybe the claustrophobic atmosphere of paranoia and isolation which pervades the over-decorated apartment where said tuba guy and psyche lady hang out. There's something suffocating about the whole scene here. The slick cocktail sax funk soundtrack, which was surely originally intended to score 'tasteful' softcore, only adds to the air of stifling sickness. On top of this we have a complete absolute arsehole of a nasty little girl, who, in a scene of epic bad taste, drowns her kid brother between shots of her mother moonlighting in shag mode with lover-on-the-side and who will go on to play vicious mind games with post-sanatorium mom. And then the necrophilious aspect, ear lobes in soup, the totally ridiculous last shot. Yeah, maybe not quite to everyone's taste, but overall quite a 'heady' concoction...

keirarts 9th August 2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 357511)
LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH - I always forget how much I love this film. It's surely up there with 'Messiah Of Evil' in the low-key but atmospherically threatening seventies low budget stakes. Like MOE it has a really insidious, faintly trippy quality and in places oozes a kind of doom laden malevolence in telling its tale of a post-psyche ward lady and her beatnik friends starting over in a desolate town, only to face mental collapse or supernatural onslaught (you be the judge, interpretations are open). For me, it has almost everything I ever look for in a movie - dreamlike detachment, weird electronic score, that strange semi abstract but intimate feel of seventies cinema. The performances are sometimes quite striking, too - the hippy runaway chick who inveigles her way into the crew's new house and who's maybe also a vampiric ghost (? or something, LSCJTD doesn't particularly pander to expectations of clarity or even sense really) totally gives me the creeps. There's just something about her leering face and the look in her eyes which is subtly wrong. I think maybe I've reviewed this before, but what the hell - LSJTD is fully deserving of your attention and I can't recommend it enough.

MACABRE - I feel pretty positively about 'Macabre'. I can understand how many might find it a bit 'meh', because, outside of a few 'highlights', almost nothing happens for most of its run time. Actually that's not true at all, what 'happens' is a simmering non-romance running one way between a blind tuba restorer and another traumatised post-psyche ward lady. That could be rubbish, or really (?good?) in a different kind of film, but it's neither because 'Macabre' is just such an odd flick. I don't know why, but it made me think of a hack-job Polanski - maybe the claustrophobic atmosphere of paranoia and isolation which pervades the over-decorated apartment where said tuba guy and psyche lady hang out. There's something suffocating about the whole scene here. The slick cocktail sax funk soundtrack, which was surely originally intended to score 'tasteful' softcore, only adds to the air of stifling sickness. On top of this we have a complete absolute arsehole of a nasty little girl, who, in a scene of epic bad taste, drowns her kid brother between shots of her mother moonlighting in shag mode with lover-on-the-side and who will go on to play vicious mind games with post-sanatorium mom. And then the necrophilious aspect, ear lobes in soup, the totally ridiculous last shot. Yeah, maybe not quite to everyone's taste, but overall quite a 'heady' concoction...

Totally agree about lets scare jessica to death. Checked it out after reading a glowing review from Kim Newman and glad I did.

gag 9th August 2013 12:55 PM

Latest franchise of the Texas chainsaw massacre , tbh I found it dull and boring and couldn't REALY get into it. Also don't know if this makes any sense but feel its been given to much of the Hollywood big blockbuster treatment, and sometimes I think that ruins a film I like my horrors to be grim dull dark gritty etc etc , especially if the originals are like that. And feel this is to bright and colourful for a horror.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th August 2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

I haven't seen Macabre for ages and your excellent write up makes we want to revisit it.

gag 9th August 2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 357586)
Latest franchise of the Texas chainsaw massacre , tbh I found it dull and boring and couldn't REALY get into it. Also don't know if this makes any sense but feel its been given to much of the Hollywood big blockbuster treatment, and sometimes I think that ruins a film I like my horrors to be grim dull dark gritty etc etc , especially if the originals are like that. And feel this is to bright and colourful for a horror.

Apparently just read there is another Tcm to be made Tcm 4 truthfully I thought leather face in this film was pretty rubbish and badly acted and played.. Extremely poor in my opinion they can cash in films as much as they like as long as the films are decent and don't go off the rails and stick to outline of the original, but when they are cashing in on films just for the sake of it and not sticking to the franchise properly is when I have a problem.

Texas Chainsaw 4 - IMDb. Won't hold my breath for it to be any good

PaulD 9th August 2013 01:55 PM

I don't see how this will be TCM4 since the previous one was a reboot albeit in 3D. It has nothing to do with the previous remake and in fact serves as a (lousy) sequel to Hoopers original.

troggi 9th August 2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH

MACABRE -

Excellent reviews Mr. Teardrop, you've certainly piqued my interest in these two beauties. :)

Could not sleep last night but too tired to do anything but let a film take me for a ride. So, from about 0300hrs-0500hrs I laid back and watched an "earlier-this-week-recording" of "Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief" and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it! 12/10 for better than average teenage fare (and not soppy emo stuff)!

Rik 9th August 2013 02:05 PM

Watched Mark of the Devil last night via a popular video site that rhymes with New Boob. Despite being an obvious cash in on the success of Witchfinder General (Reeves was actually pencilled in to direct, before his untimely death), I really enjoyed it, especially seeing Reggie Nalder without his 'salem's Lot make up as the sadistic Albino character. Herbert Lom and Udo Keir were both really good as always and I can safely say that I will be picking up the Arrow release next year, maybe even getting the BU DVD, the print I watched was absolutely terrible, understandable considering where I watched it.
Followed it with a documentary on Ed Gein. Nothing I didn't already know about the guy from the multitude of books and other docs I have on him, still enjoyable enough and really putting me in the mood for the Arrow Blu of Deranged out soon :popcorn:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th August 2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 357603)
...and in fact serves as a (lousy) sequel to Hoopers original.

This can be said about every TCM sequel though! :tongue1:

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th August 2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

I love Macabre Frankie. This is going to sound a little sick but to me it has an erotic atmosphere to it. Not the head parts of course, but the way Bernice leads the blind chap on.

Slippery Jack 9th August 2013 02:17 PM

The Paperboy

Or, 'The one where Nicole Kidman pisses all over Zac Efron'. I quite enjoyed this, had a enjoyably trashy appeal in a similar vein to Killer Joe. The plot threw up a few surprises too, especially in the third act . . .

keirarts 9th August 2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 357607)
Watched Mark of the Devil last night via a popular video site that rhymes with New Boob. Despite being an obvious cash in on the success of Witchfinder General (Reeves was actually pencilled in to direct, before his untimely death), I really enjoyed it, especially seeing Reggie Nalder without his 'salem's Lot make up as the sadistic Albino character. Herbert Lom and Udo Keir were both really good as always and I can safely say that I will be picking up the Arrow release next year, maybe even getting the BU DVD, the print I watched was absolutely terrible, understandable considering where I watched it.
Followed it with a documentary on Ed Gein. Nothing I didn't already know about the guy from the multitude of books and other docs I have on him, still enjoyable enough and really putting me in the mood for the Arrow Blu of Deranged out soon :popcorn:

The same site has a wonderful quality version of THE COMEDY OF TERRORS.

Anyone who hasn't seen it should remedy that right now!

Its FREE!!:nod:

Finally a bit of luck came my way. Had another crack at the english/maths test for my local council tax offices and did way better. A little birdie who shall forever remain anonymous just msgd me to say I was one of very few candidates to pass it. Fingers crossed I might finally be back in work.

The sensible sod in me says I should horde any wages I get for another rainy day but honestly sod that. I shall be playing catch up on a lot of releases!

Havent got the job yet but I have a REAL good feeling about this one!

PaulD 9th August 2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 357608)
This can be said about every TCM sequel though! :tongue1:

True! But at least Hooper's own sequel has a degree of fun about it.

ArgentoFan1987 9th August 2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 357612)
I love Macabre Frankie. This is going to sound a little sick but to me it has an erotic atmosphere to it. Not the head parts of course, but the way Bernice leads the blind chap on.

Does anyone else think that Stuart Gordon was thinking to Macabre when he made Re-Animator?

SShaw 9th August 2013 08:19 PM

I missed Shoot Out at the cinema, so picked it up on the way home this evening (the German blu-ray). Its a distinctly average action thriller. Stallone himself is not that great, he seems to walk around with a very odd gait while trying to affect a manly gruff accent that doesn't quite work. I am not sure I liked it.

troggi 9th August 2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 357621)
The same site has a wonderful quality version of THE COMEDY OF TERRORS.

Anyone who hasn't seen it should remedy that right now!

Its FREE!!:nod:

Finally a bit of luck came my way. Had another crack at the english/maths test for my local council tax offices and did way better. A little birdie who shall forever remain anonymous just msgd me to say I was one of very few candidates to pass it. Fingers crossed I might finally be back in work.

The sensible sod in me says I should horde any wages I get for another rainy day but honestly sod that. I shall be playing catch up on a lot of releases!

Havent got the job yet but I have a REAL good feeling about this one!

Yayy! A good thing! I'll keep everythin' crossed for y' matey. :clap:

Frankie Teardrop 9th August 2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 357612)

You're not alone, Dem. We've all been there...

That music, though. Makes me want to reach for a sick bucket rather than some tissues.

Rik 9th August 2013 09:38 PM

Think I might watch Macabre tonight :nod: