Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Metallicbomb 4th August 2013 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 356333)
Oh yeah, it's lovely. Tiny little place that's not got the faintest whiff of them doing it to make a colossal amount of money. We've been there on numerous occasions - it's very small but they've got a nice selection of well looked-after animals that include cheetahs, tigers, lions, monkeys, meerkats and the like. Nothing too big but the enclosures are nice and the animals look happy and at ease.

Here's the website.

Have they added giraffes like it said at the end of the film?

Susan Foreman 4th August 2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 356346)
The girl who plays the barmaid in the club is Calico Cooper - the daughter of Alice

She has appeared on tour with her father, usually playing a victim!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNZhIikQUnY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVPFpvQWbKU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcahFJpkD6g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBAlEo_Pm8Y

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 356361)
How many daughters does he have? I thought one played the nurse.

Yes. Calico is the Nurse in the film of 'The Ballad of Dwight Frye' from the 'Brutally Live' tour - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVPFpvQWbKU

In addition to her (b.1981), Alice has a son Dash (b. 1985), who plays in a band called Co-Op (formerly known as Runaway Phoenix); and another daughter Sonora Rose (b. 1992).

Paul@TheOverlook 4th August 2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metallicbomb (Post 356373)
Have they added giraffes like it said at the end of the film?

They hadn't the last time I went there but that was almost a year ago now.

Mojo 4th August 2013 08:58 AM

Night Of The Devils

Excellent Eurohorror flick from the early 70s, with great atmosphere and excellent special effects.

Obviously it's much easier said than done ( rights issues, financial viability etc ) but it's fantastic to see something like this pop up on Blu-ray that hasn't seen the light of day before. Are you listening, Shameless?...

Highly recommended.

Delirium 4th August 2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 356371)
Saw The Conjuring today and wow did it live up to my hype!
I been going on about this non stop since October last year as even the story that announced it made me excited. Im a big Wan fan so this was a deffo watch for me but it went beyond that once I heard about the positive test screening last year!

Just like typical Wan, the cinematography is breathtaking, the acting from Vera, Patrick and the kids is great! There is a constant feeling of dread and atmosphere created in this flick and best of all no cheap jump scares!

My movie of the year so far and by far best horror in YEARS!

9/10

I had completely the opposite reaction. I wasn't going to go because I find Wan a banal filmmaker who simply regurgitates every tired horror movie trope, every single film. I should have trusted my judgement.

Personally I'm tired of being force-fed these lazy, sterile, studio product ghost stories that are being churned out at the moment. They're like the Mcdonalds of horror movies and they're simply not scary.

I personally expect better than this naff check-list of clichés, but clearly people are lapping it up.

Delirium 4th August 2013 11:41 AM

The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh

Really enjoyed this low key little chiller. Writer/director Rodrigo Gudiño is the founder of Rue Morgue magazine and this is his first full length feature, and a rather nifty little feature it is too. Vanessa Redgrave is the biggest name here, but it's no spoiler to say she's really just present in voice over. It's more a one man show as the recently deceased Rosalind Leigh's estranged son returns home after inheriting her house. She was a devout Christian, her home full of religious iconography and paraphernalia; he is without faith, and as the story unfolds we learn of their relationship.

There's a little bit of House of the Devil as the lead explores Leigh's fabulous house and it's a credit to both the lead actor and director that our attention is held throughout. Sure there's a couple of conventional horror movie tropes, but these are used sparingly (and thus more effectively) and there's a deep pathos to the story, as well as a few nice surprises.

It's no masterpiece, but it's one of those subtle little gems you often find relegated direct to video.

nekromantik 4th August 2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 356399)
I had completely the opposite reaction. I wasn't going to go because I find Wan a banal filmmaker who simply regurgitates every tired horror movie trope, every single film. I should have trusted my judgement.

Personally I'm tired of being force-fed these lazy, sterile, studio product ghost stories that are being churned out at the moment. They're like the Mcdonalds of horror movies and they're simply not scary.

I personally expect better than this naff check-list of clichés, but clearly people are lapping it up.

Yes it did not have anything that's not been done before but it was a well made and executed flick.

I hate recent remake after remake.

Each to their own.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Delirium 4th August 2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 356420)
Yes it did not have anything that's not been done before but it was a well made and executed flick.

I hate recent remake after remake.

Each to their own.

The problem is The Conjuring was more remake than some remakes I've seen.

keirarts 4th August 2013 02:47 PM

RED 2.

Easily as fun as the first and a great afternoons entertainment. Witty banter and lots of action with a fairly light-weight plot as an excuse to make a film about relationships like it's predecessor RED 2 is a a lot of silly fun. Anthony Hopkins gets fee reign to overact and chews the scenery up marvelously.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th August 2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 356453)
RED 2.

Easily as fun as the first and a great afternoons entertainment. Witty banter and lots of action with a fairly light-weight plot as an excuse to make a film about relationships like it's predecessor RED 2 is a a lot of silly fun. Anthony Hopkins gets fee reign to overact and chews the scenery up marvelously.

Thats good to know. I look forward to seeing it.

Invid Ninja 4th August 2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 356399)

Glad I'm not the only finding these modern ghost story horror films so boring from the trailers and constantly hyped presence alone; I know a good chunk of my friends really like James Wan but I do find him similarly dry as a director.

troggi 4th August 2013 10:31 PM

"Tokyo: The Last Megalopolis" 1987
http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/images/886tokyo.jpg
WOW! State of the art visual effects from 1987 are a little "see through" today! Let's be fair to this film In 1987 I was still using a Sinclair ZX Spectrum and the IBM PCs were as user friendly as a hand feeding station at a rabid weasel sanctuary! The celebrated "Video Toaster" (a souped up Commodore Amiga), that created the computer effects for such series as "Babylon 5" was still a little ways off. The effects in "Tokyo: The Last Megalopolis" are pretty good with some half decent stop-motion rat demons in there too!

You can probably tell already that I quite enjoyed this film, it has EVERYTHING, including the kitchen sink! Demons, ghosts, dark magic, light magic, pneumatic robots all in 1900-1930s Tokyo! The plot is a little difficult to follow, especially for someone as ill-tutored in Japanese custom and culture as me, but I can forgive that just for it existing, it's that much fun! My only real quibble is that it looks as though it had been lifted straight from a 1987 VHS. In my now famous marking system it gets 17/10 and when I get a copy with a better PQ it'll get at least 2 points more! :clap::clap:

keirarts 4th August 2013 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 356545)
"Tokyo: The Last Megalopolis" 1987
http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/images/886tokyo.jpg
WOW! State of the art visual effects from 1987 are a little "see through" today! Let's be fair to this film In 1987 I was still using a Sinclair ZX Spectrum and the IBM PCs were as user friendly as a hand feeding station at a rabid weasel sanctuary! The celebrated "Video Toaster" (a souped up Commodore Amiga), that created the computer effects for such series as "Babylon 5" was still a little ways off. The effects in "Tokyo: The Last Megalopolis" are pretty good with some half decent stop-motion rat demons in there too!

You can probably tell already that I quite enjoyed this film, it has EVERYTHING, including the kitchen sink! Demons, ghosts, dark magic, light magic, pneumatic robots all in 1900-1930s Tokyo! The plot is a little difficult to follow, especially for someone as ill-tutored in Japanese custom and culture as me, but I can forgive that just for it existing, it's that much fun! My only real quibble is that it looks as though it had been lifted straight from a 1987 VHS. In my now famous marking system it gets 17/10 and when I get a copy with a better PQ it'll get at least 2 points more! :clap::clap:

Its an adaptation of a great little manga and then anime called DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS...

Attachment 116372

It was one of the early official western anime releases. Back when we got one episode per tape and introduced a lot of people (me included) to japanese animation. Curiously the film seems to have come before the anime. The story is pretty solidly rooted in japanese folklore and myth and is fairly impenetrable for westerners. The manga was long enough that shorter movie length adaps like this made it even harder to grasp. Nontheless if you get the chance and you liked the film, seek out the anime series. Its pretty difficult to get hold of on dvd, I have the dubbed US release and that's out of print.

keirarts 4th August 2013 11:29 PM

Doomed Megalopolis (REGION 1) (NTSC): Amazon.co.uk: Suzanne J. E. Tourtillott: Film & TV

This is the release. Well overdue a re-issue imo.

J Harker 5th August 2013 12:24 AM

Watched RED tonight. Good stuff, nothing mind blowing but quite entertaining.
Also watched the first two episodes of Series 3 of Luther. Cracking show with Idris Elba playing such a great character.

troggi 5th August 2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 356553)
Its an adaptation of a great little manga and then anime called DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS...

Attachment 116372

It was one of the early official western anime releases. Back when we got one episode per tape and introduced a lot of people (me included) to japanese animation. Curiously the film seems to have come before the anime. The story is pretty solidly rooted in japanese folklore and myth and is fairly impenetrable for westerners. The manga was long enough that shorter movie length adaps like this made it even harder to grasp. Nontheless if you get the chance and you liked the film, seek out the anime series. Its pretty difficult to get hold of on dvd, I have the dubbed US release and that's out of print.

I seem to remember a either later version of the same story or a sequel being shown a few years ago on the "Sci-Fi Channel" or whatever it's called now but I may be mistaking it with something else entirely as it was so long ago. Any ideas? :confused:

SCM 5th August 2013 10:15 AM

Over the weekend I watched
The Emperor's New Groove:
Probably one of the best Disney movies out there (just Kronk that is all)
The Nun and the Devil:
Disappointing stretched out and completely dull, just couldn't get into it.
Tokyo Decadence:
Again like the previous film just really hard to get into watching

klownz 5th August 2013 11:03 AM

I watched The Conjuring last night and thought it was really good, much better than I was expecting but it did come a bit unstuck toward the end.

keirarts 5th August 2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 356591)
I seem to remember a either later version of the same story or a sequel being shown a few years ago on the "Sci-Fi Channel" or whatever it's called now but I may be mistaking it with something else entirely as it was so long ago. Any ideas? :confused:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tokyo-Last-M...yo+megalopolis

Probably this. Currently difficult to get as well. Shame because it has some conceptual designs by H.R Geiger and a bigger budget.

trebor8273 5th August 2013 11:47 AM

Sleepy hollow

Has to be my favourite Tim Burton film. A fantastic mix of horror and comedy with great performances all round, with a great cast including the great Christopher Lee. 10/10

Elminators

Cheesy sci if adventure from Charles band, the main reason I bought this box set

SciFi Movie Marathon (America 3000, Arena, Eliminators & Time Guardians) DVD New 826663141467 | eBay

It's not going to win any awards but its a fun little movie, which you can enjoy the silliness going on and forget what's going on outside 7.5/10

Arena

Had not seen this before and enjoyed it more than eliminators which might be down to the cast which includes. 8/10

Claudia christian
Marc Alaimo
Armin Shimerman

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th August 2013 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Goonies (1985)

If Steven Spielberg threw all his films into a barrel, i'm sure when you thought it was empty if you just scraped your nails along the slimy bottom you would come across The Goonies.

Whats the worst thing about Jurassic Park? - The kids. Whats the worst thing about Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? - The kid. Whats the worst thing about The Goonies? - Its populated by screaming, whining kids. Incidentally the worst thing from Temple of Doom is actually in The Goonies and he's the best thing about this terrible film.

The Goonies starts out not too bad with a few funny lines but soon goes downhill. The plot is a fairly ho-hum treasure hunt against a family of inept villains - the Fratelli's. The cast just get more annoying the longer the film goes on, especially the rotund beast in the flowery shirt who shouts loudly for the sake of it.

Recommended only to those who first saw this when they were five.

troggi 5th August 2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 356671)
The Goonies (1985)

If Steven Spielberg threw all his films into a barrel, i'm sure when you thought it was empty if you just scraped your nails along the slimy bottom you would come across The Goonies.

I concur!

keirarts 5th August 2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

The Goonies (1985)

Whats the worst thing about Jurassic Park? - The kids. Whats the worst thing about Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? - The kid. Whats the worst thing about The Goonies? - Its populated by screaming, whining kids. Incidentally the worst thing from Temple of Doom is actually in The Goonies and he's the best thing about this terrible film.

The Goonies starts out not too bad with a few funny lines but soon goes downhill. The plot is a fairly ho-hum treasure hunt against a family of inept villains - the Fratelli's. The cast just get more annoying the longer the film goes on, especially the rotund beast in the flowery shirt who shouts loudly for the sake of it.

:shocked:

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th August 2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 356693)
:shocked:

Don't look like that...

....its garbage. :D

keirarts 5th August 2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 356696)
Don't look like that...

....its garbage. :D

Its not garbage. Not to all tastes perhaps but it still makes me chuckle. For teen movies I prefer it to stuff like Ferris beuller for instance. But to each their own and all that. If everyone thought the same way about stuff the world would be f****g boring.

J Harker 5th August 2013 06:19 PM

I though I was the only person who didn't like The Goonies. Don't hate it, but I never really got the love for it when I was a kid and it's only got worse with age.

Dave Boy 5th August 2013 07:12 PM

Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein (1949)

Bud and Lou tangle with the original Universal Monsters, Dracula (Bela Lugosi), The Wolfman (Lon Chaney Jr) and the Frankenstein Monster (Glenn Strange). Great creepy sets and some unexpected horror moments that you would not expect in a comedy film.

keirarts 5th August 2013 07:14 PM

I suppose even though I like it and all, it does have the Spielberg taint to it. Its a bit saccharine in places, especially the end, but as it wasn't directly shot by the bearded one, its not as vomit inducing as ET..

I still like it though, warts and all...

Prefer the lost boys though.. :behindsofa:

SShaw 5th August 2013 08:02 PM

Bloodsport - 80's classic? Maybe.

trebor8273 5th August 2013 08:59 PM

Video dead
Nothing we haven't seen a million times before , but has a certain charm. 6.5/10

Possession
Tried watching this but get feeling its one of those films you have to be in the mood to watch, don't get me wrong from what I've seen it seems like it will be a great movie. Will try again later this week.

Delirium 5th August 2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 356750)
Possession
Tried watching this but get feeling its one of those films you have to be in the mood to watch, don't get me wrong from what I've seen it seems like it will be a great movie. Will try again later this week.

One of my favourite films. Stick with it, bud. It will reward you for years to come.

Rik 5th August 2013 11:14 PM

Can't believe people don't love the Goonies, it's one of my childhood favourites that I could watch at any time. I agree with Keirarts regarding Ferris Bueller, never liked this film and yes the Lost Boys is awesome!

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...EE9RRpOuEaQxkn

troggi 5th August 2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 356724)
Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein (1949)

Bud and Lou tangle with the original Universal Monsters, Dracula (Bela Lugosi), The Wolfman (Lon Chaney Jr) and the Frankenstein Monster (Glenn Strange). Great creepy sets and some unexpected horror moments that you would not expect in a comedy film.

My very favourite Abbott and Costello film. I haven't seen one for years! :)

troggi 6th August 2013 12:03 AM

Just remembered why I'm here, not in a deep philosophical way, just why I logged on about an hour ago!

"Shadow of the Vampire" 2000
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...GL._SY300_.jpg

I have tried watching this film on numerous occasions in the past and nevr got very far. Not the film's fault just circumstances. Well no circumstances to stop me tonight and I loved it. Willem Dafoe's Max Schreck almost steals every scene he is in except for the fact that Malkovich's Murnau is a far more "filled in" character.

Thoroughly enjoyed and will watch again and again, 17/10 for the most creative death scene that I've seen! :clap::clap:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th August 2013 01:11 AM

Quote:

The Goonies (1985)

I like The Goonies - despite hating kids and child actors in general, too.

There's not even any nostalgia involved, as I never saw the film as a child. I can't really explain why I like it; I guess it reminds me a bit of me and my friends when we were young, and happier times :) ... so yeah, you could say that there is some nostalgia there in respect to that aspect.

As for Spielberg 'barrel scraping', I guess you've never seen War Horse! ;)

troggi 6th August 2013 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 116423
"Teenagers from Outer Space" 1959
A tiny plywood flying saucer lands in the desert and disgorges, like a clown car, too many occupants. The first to pop out of the hatch bravely disintegrates the flesh off of a terrifyingly ferocious small terrier. They then bring out a small container containing something that looks like a gigantic cricket which promptly collapses due to exposure to our atmosphere just prior to the arthropod's collapse a young alien man notices something made by intelligent life amongst the bones of the deceased terrier and decides that they should not use this planet for their arthropods. After he escapes the leader of the young aliens leaves the pathological dog murderer to bring back the escapee and ties the now revived and rapidly growing arthropod in a cave...

Yes, it's a silly flick but eminently charming and thoroughly watchable. The crew must have raided every museum and research lab for miles around for the skeletons; and the horror of the giant lobster monster is too much to bear.

Enjoyable nonsense 15/10 for the schmaltzy ending. ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th August 2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 356795)

As for Spielberg 'barrel scraping', I guess you've never seen War Horse! ;)

War Horse whilst not being the greatest thing SS has put his name to is a far superior film to The Goonies.

Ghoulies is a better film than The Goonies as well. :nod:

Frankenhooker 6th August 2013 12:13 PM

A Short Film About Killing - Kieslowski's film began life as a shorter piece that was included in his 'Dekalog', a TV series based on the ten commandments. At it's core the film is an indictment of capital punishment but asks plenty of other questions along the way. The film is unrelentingly bleak with two absolutely gut-wrenching scenes, it's one of the powerful films I've seen, I've watched it three times now and each time it leaves me a little shaken. Kieslowski is one of my favourite directors and in my opinion 'A Short Film About Killing' is his best film, in fact it's one of THE best films period. Stunning.

tele1962 6th August 2013 12:20 PM

Anyone watched Possession ( Andrzej Zulawski ) on Blu yet, what did you think of the PQ etc?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th August 2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 356844)
War Horse whilst not being the greatest thing SS has put his name to is a far superior film to The Goonies.

Ghoulies is a better film than The Goonies as well. :nod:

:faint: