Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re.form (Post 69261)
It's worth watching this movie based on the sound design alone - the audio from the old tape recordings is one of the best things I've come across in a movie in quite a while. Brilliant. (They rest of the movie is great as well, btw!:happy:)

:thumb: Yep, a terrifically atmospheric film. :nod:

pedromonkey 24th March 2010 10:01 PM

in preporation for Day Blu i watched Day of the Dead last night and all i can say is that this film gets better everytime i watch it.

also watch stephen King's The Mist, This is possibly one of my fave films of alltime, such a fantastic film and that ending, Powerful stuff even on y 8th viewing

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 10:06 PM

B/W or colour version of The Mist Pedro?

pedromonkey 24th March 2010 10:26 PM

color, watched the black and white version once by turning the color down on me telly, did the trick and saved me some pennies. Darabont has said that you might as well do it that way.

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 10:30 PM

I tried that and colour version with the colour turned down looked different than the B/W version.I haven't even watched the colour version apart from doing that little test.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 10:40 PM

****!

I've just watched Paranormal Activity in the dark-not recommended unless you're wearing brown trousers!:eek:

Absolutely terrifying.

Scariest flick I've seen in a LONG time.:behindsofa:

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 10:56 PM

You scare easily then Reaps? ;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 11:35 PM

You shitting me?

You seen it Steve?

nekromantik 24th March 2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 69346)
****!

I've just watched Paranormal Activity in the dark-not recommended unless you're wearing brown trousers!:eek:

Absolutely terrifying.

ha ha
:lol:

It wasnt scary even in cinema, just creepy.

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 11:39 PM

:lol: I haven't see it.Can't really explain why but I'm in no hurry to see it.I'll probably catch it when it's on tv many,many years from now.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 11:39 PM

All these Charlie Bronson dudes.....:biggrin:

Turn the lights off and watch it at home in silence.....;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 69353)
:lol: I haven't see it.Can't really explain why but I'm in no hurry to see it.I'll probably catch it when it's on tv many,many years from now.

I was dubious too mate-but I highly recommend it.:nod:

antmumford 24th March 2010 11:44 PM

Just came back from cinema, I watched Shutter Island and I really enjoyed it. It's very creepy and tense, all helped by the wonderfully eerie score. Acting was superb by all, even Mark Ruffalo. Another fine example of brilliant film making by Scorcese.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 11:45 PM

Right bedtime,with the baseball bat.:eek::lol:

nekromantik 25th March 2010 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 69360)
Right bedtime,with the baseball bat.:eek::lol:

dnt let the bed bugs bite :lol:

Gojirosan 25th March 2010 12:48 AM

Quote:

****!

Absolutely terrifying.

Really? :ohwell:

I thought it was far, far too shite to evoke any emotion other than anger! I seem to recall actually throwing the disk across the room in contempt for the bloody thing!

:lol:

Wolf 25th March 2010 01:18 AM

Quote:

****!

Absolutely terrifying.

I wouldn't go that far. Wasn't really terrifying. Would highly recomend it though.

For me it was like what Blair Witch was trying to do but done properly.

Except it is very different to Blair Witch of course. I think it played upon the fear of the unknown very well and that's what makes a good movie about the paranormal for me.

I also liked

[SPOILERS]

the bit with the foot prints in the powder on the floor. It makes the thing tangible whilst still being completely unknown and also invisible. Like you're scared because you know something's there, but you don't know what it is or where it is apart from it's got pretty gnarly looking feet and it's somewhere in the room.

Plus the ending is impressive for me as the whole off camera scream, silence for a while then sudden shock really built up a lot of tension.

42ndStreetFreak 25th March 2010 10:44 AM

"Gay Bed & Breakfast of Terror"

http://www.beardyfreak.com/rvgay.php

On the eve of a large Gay and Lesbian party weekend five groups of guests arrive at the ‘Sahara Salvation Bed and Breakfast Inn’ as it’s renowned for being Homosexual friendly.

But the B&B is run by a fanatic Christian fundamentalist named Helen and her daughter Luella, who Helen wants to find a husband for , by converting a ‘confused’ Homosexual man back to the spiritual path of Heterosexuality, to move Luelle away from her sinful Lesbian desires.

And if all that wasn’t enough it turns out Luelle has a mysterious brother named Manfred who is meant to be kept locked up....

Opening with a groovy title sequence that sees a blonde go-go dancer belt out a fine tune called ‘Watch Out For The Straights’ "Gay B&B of Terror" starts out okay.
The Gay/Lesbian characters are all walking cliches of course and with such a title and such a set-up it will come as no surprise that director/star Jaymes Thompson’s film is camped up to the max and he keeps things moving at a steady lick (ho ho).

The film is far too long though and should have been tightened up in the editing phase.
And although the multiple flashbacks, that reveal various twists in the tale, are mostly entertaining enough (indeed the Mother‘s flashback, about the conception of Manfred, is a glorious work of warped genius and also a great anti-Republican take on the origins of Freddy Krueger no less), they are generally too long and appear too late in the narrative and thus slow down the escalating chaos as we move towards the climax (ho ho).

Dialogue is not anywhere near the greatness of a John Waters film or is the deliver of it but there are still a few gems to be dug up and admired here:
Highlight has to be the deranged Helen’s utterly mad rant to a tied up Alex;
“You will no longer yearn for the engorged penis of a well-muscled man in uniform! From this point on you will embrace the light of God and dream of the sugar sweet holy vaginal walls of your soon to be wife, and my lovely daughter, forever”!

Indeed Helen, in the most flashy and Watersesque role, has all the best speeches.
Enjoy such gems as “I must pray very hard…There’s too many fvcking assholes around”

What’s really surprising here though is the relative lack of strong sex or (really surprising) full-on nudity.
As a low-fi, SOV, Gay themed horror film it was surely not aimed at, or was ever going to catch, a mainstream audience or market, so why be so tame with the sexuality?
Plenty of opportunities for full frontal nudity are here, but instead we have underwear left on and towels wrapped around waists.
Indeed the only penis on display (can you believe, in a film called “Gay Bed & Breakfast of Terror”, have to write that!?) is attached to a blood covered dead body.

And talking of blood covered bodies…Where the film pretty much fails to deliver on the sex/nudity front it at least delivers on the horror front.
The murders are very bloody and pretty violent and whether it’s Helen or Luelle and their crucifix-handled dagger or Manfred and his foul fangs much blood is shed with lots of passionate shrieking to back it up.

The finale is wildly OTT and utterly chaotic and if it all seems a trifle forced and over-plotted at least the twist at the end is pretty amusing in concept, if strangely serious in much of its execution.
All of which results in a film that is sadly not as good as it should have been with such a set-up and a film that lacks much of the sex and nudity it should surely have had by default.

But despite all this “The Gay Bed & Breakfast of Terror” still manages to be fun, camp, passionate and ultimately entertaining thanks to the plentiful blood, some fun dialogue, the performances (especially Mari Marks as Helen and Georgia Jean as Luelle) and the general energy it gives off.

Next time though Mr Jaymes ‘assless leather chaps’ Thompson, pile in more damn sex and nudity please!

Phats 25th March 2010 11:20 AM

I watched Quatermass and the Pit last night. I couldn't stop laughing at Colonel Breen's facial expression when they were drilling the inside of the missile. :pound:

pedromonkey 25th March 2010 11:24 AM

Quaternass and the Pitt is a great film, scared the bejesus out of me when i was a kid.

daveroughcut 25th March 2010 11:26 AM

re: What films have you seen recently?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phats
I watched Quatermass and the Pit last night. I couldn't stop laughing at Colonel Breen's facial expression when they were drilling the inside of the missile. :pound:

Brilliant I was watching John Carpenters Quatermass homage Prince Of Darkness the other night. It's got a lot of Fulci worms too!

I recommend Lake Mungo. I hated Paranormal (In)Activity but Lake Mungo creeped me the **** out! Only Session 9, Emily Rose and Martyrs have done that before.

Gojirosan 25th March 2010 11:27 AM

I love both versions of Quatermass And The Pit: something about the story is so primal and powerful that it just works no matter what. Nigel Kneale being one of the best writers Britain has ever produced certainly helped of course!

I don't actually own a copy of the Hammer version at the moment, just the Rudolph Cartier TV version. Must amend that!

Gojirosan 25th March 2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveroughcut (Post 69430)
Brilliant I was watching John Carpenters Quatermass homage Prince Of Darkness the other night. It's got a lot of Fulci worms too!

Surely one of the most unfairly critcally lambasted and misunderstood films ever. It's so very under-rated by the Film Establishment that it's mystifying. I often wonder if they saw a different film!

pedromonkey 25th March 2010 11:29 AM

the hammer release has fantastic picture quality. worth seeking out. i got mine on amazon for less than a fiver

pedromonkey 25th March 2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 69433)
Surely one of the most unfairly critcally lambasted and misunderstood films ever. It's so very under-rated by the Film Establishment that it's mystifying. I often wonder if they saw a different film!

Prince of darkness is one of carpenters best films and yes it seems to get unfavourable reviews. i haven't seen that in a while...

vincenzo 25th March 2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 69429)
Quaternass and the Pitt is a great film, scared the bejesus out of me when i was a kid.

My all-time favourite Hammer film. :nod:

pedromonkey 25th March 2010 11:40 AM

what has happened to british cinema, We used to make some of the best horror and Sci-fi around but nowadays its all costume dramas and Romantic comedies.

Gojirosan 25th March 2010 11:44 AM

Well, this thread made me One-CLick the Optimum Quatermass And The Pit and the US release of Prince Of Darkness.

Thanks guys, I shall cite you all to my bank manager! ;) :D

pedromonkey 25th March 2010 12:07 PM

just doing our part for the greater good....

antmumford 25th March 2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveroughcut (Post 69430)

I recommend Lake Mungo. I hated Paranormal (In)Activity but Lake Mungo creeped me the **** out! Only Session 9, Emily Rose and Martyrs have done that before.

It was announced on November 25, 2008 that the makers of The Ring would be remaking Lake Mungo, with a planned release in 2011!

Don't suppose anyone knows when the original will actually be released on DVD in the UK or even how I could get to see this somehow, sounds real good?

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 25th March 2010 02:17 PM

Watched Fight For Your Life and The Thing With Two Heads last night - a nice little double bill!

It was the first time I saw FFYL and I thought it was brilliant! Such a great film! A mate of mine was warning me about how bad it is but I couldn't disagree with him more. Meh. Different strokes for different folks I guess. :) I need to buy this now!

Thing With Two Heads - seen it a couple of times before and really enjoy it. Great little grindhouse film! Although slow at first, when the police start to chase them it's a riot!

vincenzo 25th March 2010 03:07 PM

Two good films there. Fight For Your Life is long overdue a UK release.

I enjoyed Thing With Two Heads more the second time I saw it. The first time it drove me out of my skull. Both of them. :laugh:

(I had to say it, simply to get a-head)....... :dance:

Gojirosan 25th March 2010 03:12 PM

I'm very fond (if "fond" is the right word?!) of Fight For Your Life. It's a very good film, in my opinion. Well shot, brilliantly acted and very tense.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 25th March 2010 04:20 PM

Indeed it's an excellent film! I wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near as good as it was. Its like a mix of I Spit On Your Grave, Last House On The Left and House On The Edge and then some (!) which just works so well.

And IMO, it is not a rascist film at all, unlike it's reputation suggests.

I'm with you Vince, this does need a UK release - I'm sure it will have no problems at the BBFC, may even pass as a 15...maybe?

Oh, and Thing With Two Heads needs a good release too! :p

42ndStreetFreak 25th March 2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 69433)

Nope I saw the film with a
Squishy Satan in jar,
Strawberry jam-faced satan girl,
Rubbish Alice Cooper tying (and failing) to act like a brain dead tramp,
Pretentious psycho-babble tedium that reduced Satan to an algebra problem,
Obnoxious Chinese prick in a cupboard for half the film trying to be funny (because Carpenter has given up on making a serious Horror film just like nearly every other **** in the 90's)

And from here on the fall was mighty.

pedromonkey 25th March 2010 04:44 PM

i take it you didn't like then 42nd. Each to their own i guess.

42ndStreetFreak 25th March 2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 69440)
what has happened to british cinema, We used to make some of the best horror and Sci-fi around but nowadays its all costume dramas and Romantic comedies.

Not recently.
We've had some top horror films;

"Dog Soldiers"
"The Descent"
"Shaun of the Dead"
"Doghouse"
"Deathwatch"
"Tony"
"28 Days Later"
"28 Weeks Later"
"Last Horror Fim"
"Mum and Dad"
"The Children"
"The Cottage"
"Colin"
"Small Town Folk"
"Hush"
"Creep"
"Wilderness"
"Severance"
"Triangle"

Some with overseas money for sure (but that's been like that since the 60's at least for most films, including many 'Hammer' films), but all UK productions with heavy UK talent.

Even failed things like "Kung Fu Flid" tried something different, we've had indy super violent martial arts/action films like "10 Dead Men" and Darren's "Sudden Fury" (it at least got released on DVD and reviewed globally), and "Mad MAx" style sci-fi on the big screen for the first time in 2 decades with "Doomsday".

The big problem now is that unlike then we have no indy cinema chains where homegrown product can released.
It's not like it was in the 60's/70's or even the 80's. UK genre films are being made but have to fight against cunting "Avatar" on 5 million screens (and all it's ilk) on American studio owned cinema chains (or chains beholden to American films and studios for success) to get noticed.

If not it's into the vast ocean of DVD release it goes, where you have to fight to get even noticed.

And then we still have lack of funding in general...but people are out there giving it a go in greater numbers than we have see for years.

But to be fair this past decade has been the best for British horror/genre films since the 70's.

vincenzo 25th March 2010 05:00 PM

I quite enjoyed Prince Of Darkness for the atmosphere though the film itself was a big comedown from Carpenter's earlier work.

The Descent was the only title on that list I enjoyed.

42ndStreetFreak 25th March 2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 69540)

The Descent was the only title on that list I enjoyed.

:eek:

The only one? Really?!

I'm amazed mate.
But hey, opinion on a film is an opinion.
The huge upturn in horror/genre film production in the UK in the last decade is just simple fact though.

I for one am over the moon at some of the top class product we're putting out against all the odds.
Even full blown Exploitation like "Mum and Dad" or brutal vigilante flicks like "Harry Brown" that hark back in attitude and content to 70's grindhouse/drive-in films.
The kind of films not produced in this country for 30 odd years.

Fly the flag I say! :tongue1:

Gojirosan 25th March 2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 69536)
"Dog Soldiers"
"The Descent"
"Shaun of the Dead"
"Doghouse"
"Deathwatch"
"Tony"
"28 Days Later"
"28 Weeks Later"
"Last Horror Fim"
"Mum and Dad"
"The Children"
"The Cottage"
"Colin"
"Small Town Folk"
"Hush"
"Creep"
"Wilderness"
"Severance"
"Triangle"

There are still many on there I have yet to see, I should get on the case!

Of the ones I have seen, I would class Triangle and The Descent as first rate - excellent films irrelevant of genre. Others are good, but not great - Creep, The Cottage, Shaun Of The Dead, Dog Soldiers. I don't rate the 28 Days Crazies-rip-off films and thought Severance was promising but utterly ruined by the infuriating presence of the perenially untalented Danny Dyer.

Though I am not a flag-flyer by nature, I am glad you made that list, it has encouraged me to chase up the rest...

...unless Danny Dyer is in them! :lol: