Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Philleh 23rd March 2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 68961)

Black Demons: I'd never seen this before, but I was impressed with the suspense created by Lenzi, and the voodoo take on the zombie uprising, complete with disfigured, shackled, undead slaves. I was disappointed with the lack of gore and zombie attacks though. Apart from two deliciously gross eyeball extraction scenes it was pretty bloodless; the zombies even backed off (willingly :confused:) from the attack at times... pretty good overall though.

Ignore Loops (:tongue1:), I have to agree that Black Demons isn't the as bad as its reputation would have you believe. :peace:

Pete 23rd March 2010 06:33 PM

:biggrin:

Its ****ing awful:chainsaw:

Philleh 23rd March 2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 68972)

Its ****ing awfully good fun!:chainsaw:

I agree matey!! :biggrin:

Pete 23rd March 2010 06:51 PM

:mad::chainsaw:

Black Demons is even worse than The House of Witchcraft, and that film is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

42ndStreetFreak 23rd March 2010 07:01 PM

"Raising Jeffrey Dahmer" -

Started off okay. This was actually a pretty interesting look at the effect Dahmer's crimes and arrests had on his family...far more "Living with what Jeffrey Dahmer Did" as much as "Raising Jeffery Dahmer".

Acting varies, the film is low budget and there is actually very little of Dahmer's crimes or actions on show here at all, but it managed to hold the interest as we saw the stress and hardship (and lies) the parents faced from the media.

But then the film throws Bo Svenson in 2 scenes as a fictional Detective and promptly has him do absolutely nothing at all plotwise...until a completely farcical, totally made-up, action that seems like it comae from a completely separate film.

From here on the film seems to have run out of things to say or show and frustratingly (despite the film's title) jumps over too many interesting events in the older Dahmer's life with his Dad (like his Dad's realisation about Dahmer's first killing...which amazingly gets mentioned in the film and then ignored by the film in the same scene).

As such it all plods to a weak finale that's a real shame because it started out well and had potential but ultimately fails by simply giving up on its own story after an hour.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd March 2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 68988)

Black Demons is even worse than The House of Witchcraft, and that film is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

:eek: C'mon loops it's not that bad! I've seen a hell of a lot worse. :biggrin: I'd say it was about on-par with Nightmare City for me. :nod: ;)

I do stick up for Lenzi a hell of a lot; but I think he's very unfairly treated! :tsk: :lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd March 2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philleh (Post 68970)
Ignore Loops (:tongue1:), I have to agree that Black Demons isn't the as bad as its reputation would have you believe. :peace:

See - Phil's got good taste! :tongue1: :jest:

Pete 23rd March 2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 69003)
:eek: C'mon loops it's not that bad! I've seen a hell of a lot worse. :biggrin: I'd say it was about on-par with Nightmare City for me. :nod: ;)

I do stick up for Lenzi a hell of a lot; but I think he's very unfairly treated! :tsk: :lol:

Don't ever mention Nightmare City in the same sentence as BD. I love NC:chainsaw:

I think Lenzi is unfairly treated but BD, Hells Gate and House of Witchcraft are at the very bottom of the italian horror barrel IMO.

42ndStreetFreak 23rd March 2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 69010)
Don't ever mention Nightmare City in the same sentence as BD. I love NC:chainsaw:

I think Lenzi is unfairly treated but BD, Hells Gate and House of Witchcraft are at the very bottom of the italian horror barrel IMO.

Lenzi is average in general I suppose...But very true, no one should ever say anything bad about the GEM that is "Nightmare City". The damn thing glitters like the gold it is!

TALL DUDE 23rd March 2010 07:23 PM

Watched paris lockdown last night.Gritty french gangster flick,which ticked all the right boxes for me.

Had one of the best double bills in a long time last thursday night...zombieland and night of the creeps. Oh yeah!!!:rockon:

Mojo 23rd March 2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 68988)

THOW is pretty bloody dull. I thought House Of Lost Souls was ok though :peep:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd March 2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 69010)

I'm not a huge fan of NC, which is probably why I rate BD about the same :behindsofa: (hides from another chainsawing... )

House of Witchcraft was made for TV, so I'll let him off with that, but do agree that Hell's Gate is a tad shite. The cover of my EC release is marginally more interesting than the film. :lol:

Philleh 23rd March 2010 07:30 PM

The boy did good with Oasis of Fear too!!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd March 2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philleh (Post 69022)
The boy did good with Oasis of Fear too!!

:nod:

And Spasmo. Just need a release of Paranoia now... ;)

Pete 23rd March 2010 07:33 PM

I agree with yer on that one:nod:

Seven Bloodstained Orchids and Spasmo are excellent giallo's.

Philleh 23rd March 2010 07:36 PM

And Almost Human and er... Black Demons?

Pete 23rd March 2010 07:37 PM

Battleforce and Eyeball are quite good.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd March 2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philleh (Post 69026)
And Almost Human and er... Black Demons?

Gotta be done! :lol:

Pete 23rd March 2010 07:38 PM

:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd March 2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 69029)
Battleforce and Eyeball are quite good.

Yeah, I really liked Eyeball. Knife of Ice would be welcome too. Seven Blood Stained Orchids is probably my favourite Lenzi gialli though.

Philleh 23rd March 2010 07:41 PM

I even have a soft spot for Nightmare Beach and Hitcher in the Dark! :fear:

Pete 23rd March 2010 07:43 PM

I think Umberto should get his own thread. Anyone else?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd March 2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 69031)
:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

Your chainsaws are no match for my machine gun loops...

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/f...ghting0016.gif

:heh:

Philleh 23rd March 2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 69035)

Second...ed?!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd March 2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 69035)

Third! :third:

Philleh 23rd March 2010 07:46 PM

Think again, tough guy!! Tee hee

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd March 2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philleh (Post 69039)
Think again, tough guy!! Tee hee

Who me... ;) (*Cough EDITED Cough*) :dance:

Philleh 23rd March 2010 07:50 PM

Smooth, daddy... smooth! :cool:

Anyways, I'm off to educate m'lady in the ways of Dawn of the Dead on Blu-ray! :peace:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd March 2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philleh (Post 69041)
Smooth, daddy... smooth! :cool:

Anyways, I'm off to educate m'lady in the ways of Dawn of the Dead on Blu-ray! :peace:

If it's her first time be gentle Phil ;) :thumb:

Philleh 23rd March 2010 07:53 PM

I'll save the Director's Cut for another time! :thumb:

re.form 23rd March 2010 08:38 PM

Recently watched Session 9 and Return of the Living Dead III

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd March 2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re.form (Post 69051)
Recently watched Session 9 and Return of the Living Dead III

I love Session 9 re.form - what did you think of it?

vincenzo 23rd March 2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re.form (Post 69051)
Return of the Living Dead III

This was my favourite of the series.

nekromantik 24th March 2010 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 69055)

Session 9 is a classic.
Full of atmosphere and dread :)
One of the best psychological horrors I have seen. :thumb:

vincenzo 24th March 2010 11:47 AM

Pink Floyd: The Wall

The film that inspired many of my school generation to yell "Hey teacher, leave those kids alone" (before running rapidly down the next corridor to escape). You don't have to be a Pink Floyd aficionado to appreciate this (I'm only a fan of their early Syd Barrett years) but either way this nightmarish, nihilistic movie stays with you long after you've seen it. I first 'experienced' it back in 1982 on the cinema, and left feeling as if I'd been hit by a very large train.

The 'AA' rating at the time was remarkably lenient, given the quite graphic violence, sexual footage (including hints of oral sex and a brief glimpse of lower female nudity during a sex scene), self mutilation (Geldof wincingly razoring his chest and hacking his eyebrows off), and a brief but nasty sexual assault scene (a woman being forcibly stripped topless). Even today it's a remarkably powerful film though it leaves you feeling physically drained. There's no humour or light relief in this film whatsoever, and even Gerald Scarfe's outstanding (and equally bloody/sexual) animations contain images that stay with you for a long time. For me this was more horrific than most horror films at that time.

Bob Geldof is mesmerising as Pink. Even though his lines are limited to mumbled dialogue (as are everyones) and one song (In The Flesh), you can't take your eyes off him. Especially his unforgettable hotel trashing scene ("Take that, f***ers!"). Sharp eyed viewers will spot Bob Hoskins as Geldof's agent, former Boney star James Laurenson as his father, Philip Davis & Gary Olsen as roadies, a young Joanne Whalley as a short-skirted groupie, and even Floyd maestro Roger Waters himself at Geldof's wedding.

An awesome movie that has to be experienced at least once. You wouldn't want to do it too often.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 69174)
Pink Floyd: The Wall

The film that inspired many of my school generation to yell "Hey teacher, leave those kids alone" (before running rapidly down the next corridor to escape). You don't have to be a Pink Floyd aficionado to appreciate this (I'm only a fan of their early Syd Barrett years) but either way this nightmarish, nihilistic movie stays with you long after you've seen it. I first 'experienced' it back in 1982 on the cinema, and left feeling as if I'd been hit by a very large train.

The 'AA' rating at the time was remarkably lenient, given the quite graphic violence, sexual footage (including hints of oral sex and a brief glimpse of lower female nudity during a sex scene), self mutilation (Geldof wincingly razoring his chest and hacking his eyebrows off), and a brief but nasty sexual assault scene (a woman being forcibly stripped topless). Even today it's a remarkably powerful film though it leaves you feeling physically drained. There's no humour or light relief in this film whatsoever, and even Gerald Scarfe's outstanding (and equally bloody/sexual) animations contain images that stay with you for a long time. For me this was more horrific than most horror films at that time.

Bob Geldof is mesmerising as Pink. Even though his lines are limited to mumbles (as are everyones) and one song (In The Flesh) you can't take your eyes off him. Sharp eyed viewers will spot Bob Hoskins as Geldof's agent, former Boney star James Laurenson as his father, Philip Davis & Gary Olsen as roadies, a young Joanne Whalley as a short-skirted groupie, and even Floyd maestro Roger Waters himself at Geldof's wedding.

An awesome movie that has to be experienced at least once. You wouldn't want to do it too often.

I've been meaning to see that film for ages now, Vince. Just never gotten around to it. I swear it was on TV not long ago.

The album is incredible and easily one of my favs - "If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!!!"

:thumb:

Last night I watched Fulci's Conquest - a very enjoyable film, VERY strange but a lot of fun nonetheless. Violent chewbaccas, a naked woman who gets sexual pleasure from a snake and of course ZOMBIES! What more could you ask for?! :laugh:

vincenzo 24th March 2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 69175)
The album is incredible and easily one of my favs - "If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!!!"

Those lines are in the film too. The teacher is brilliantly played by Alex McAvoy.

I bought The Wall album back in 1980 (most of my lot did) though I was never a huge fan of it. Much preferred Floyd's psychedelic days. Even Geldof himself admits to not being a fan, which makes his performance even more credible. The film was (and is) so startling an experience that even non-fans of the album tend to revisit it though.

It sure ain't Abba: The Movie. :laugh:

DeadAlive 24th March 2010 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I heard that Roger Waters wasn't exactly overjoyed with what Alan Parker did with the film. I remember seeing it at the cinema when it first came out and it was a mind blowing experience. It was quadrophonic sound if I remember correctly. (Before the days of surround sound.)

Vampire Killer Barbys - Not good. Not good at all. The longer it went on the more my brain began to melt. Sex, violence, more sex and gore galore...... but it still bored me beyond belief and the dub sync was terrible too.

re.form 24th March 2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 69055)

It's worth watching this movie based on the sound design alone - the audio from the old tape recordings is one of the best things I've come across in a movie in quite a while. Brilliant. (They rest of the movie is great as well, btw!:happy:)

re.form 24th March 2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 69116)
This was my favourite of the series.

Mine too. I love the first two for a larf, but this one is funny and weirdly, manages to be kind of semi-serious. (I think, anyway...all that self mutilation and doomed romance ;))

I like alot of Brian Yuzna's movies. Society and the Re-animator sequels being faves, but this one is a not so guilty pleasure.