Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th February 2015 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 435702)
Yeah, it passes the time pleasantly enough and in it's own way felt quite old fashioned with it's lack of gore and special effects which is no bad thing once in a while.

Yes it has that old American Gothic vibe along the same way as things like City of the Dead and Fall of the House of Usher.

J Harker 12th February 2015 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 435693)
THE SKELETON KEY. Kate Hudson is an end of life nurse caring for John Hurt in this hokey slice of Southern Gothic dripping with hoodoo rites and all manner of jiggery pokery. Sadly the most sinister thing about this is the way the director manages to film almost all of Kate Hudson's scenes with her dressed only in knickers and T-shirt. Worth a look if it crops up on TV or if you wish to see Kate Hudson's arse every 5 minutes.

Well you got my attention!

JoshuaKaitlyn 13th February 2015 10:53 PM

Dracula Untold (2014) A wasted opportunity :( Shame really as I quite like Dracula pictures and had hoped this would be an epic. Instead we get a lot of CGI, no real story about Vlad's earlier days (whether true of fictional) and what looks and feels to me like a tacked on ending thats meant to tie it in with the Universal 'monsters' reboot ala Marvel's cinematic universe!

nosferatu42 13th February 2015 11:31 PM

The trailer makes it look as if they're trying to turn him into a romantic superhero type, yawn.
I shows a huge group of bats attacking an army or something, I know Dracula can control bats etc, but if his power is that vast then everyone might as well slit their wrists and pour him a glass full, because no one would have a hope against him.:crazy:
I will watch this at some point when it's cheap but i'm in no hurry.
Bring back lots of Blood and Boobs, that's my opinion.:)

JoshuaKaitlyn 14th February 2015 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 435890)
Bring back lots of Blood and Boobs, that's my opinion.:)

The film is sadly lacking in both!

Prince_Vajda 14th February 2015 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Generally, Vampire films (and especially those with a Dracula character) are something I enjoy. Even the silly Van Helsing had its great moments. However, I guess I'll take a pass on this one.

I just found this meme via a pretty popular search engine. It seems to sum up the movie pretty well.

https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/att...1&d=1423910564

trebor8273 14th February 2015 09:19 PM

What Films Have You Seen Recently?

13 Attachment(s)
Stargate

Attachment 156947

Forgotten how much I like this movie, a nice mix of action, adventure, science fiction and mythology or in the case of the movie Egyptology. With have a likeable cast of characters and a nicely paced story, only downsides are the gun ho america saves the day attitude and a very un-menacing villain, but apart from that it's all very enjoyable and a great sci fi movie that's spawned a franchise. Now that's out of the way , I now have 10 seasons of the tv series to watch. 8.5/10

Attachment 156948Attachment 156949

Attachment 156950Attachment 156951

Attachment 156952Attachment 156953

Attachment 156954Attachment 156955

Attachment 156956Attachment 156957

Attachment 156958Attachment 156959

JoshuaKaitlyn 14th February 2015 10:01 PM

As well as five seasons of SG Atlantis and two of SGU.

Frankenhooker 15th February 2015 05:58 AM

I watched 50 Shades Of Grey last night, in my defence it was a Valentines Day treat for the missus. Never has a film about sex bored me so much. I wouldn't say it was bad, just incredibly 'meh'.

As a trade off, we watched Dazed And Confused when we got back. Volume right up, probably pissing off the neighbours. Last night was probably the twentieth time I've watched it. I've loved it on each occasion. Set a generation before I left school, in a different country, it still manages to encapsulate that final day. Just a wonderful film.

Crimson Blade 15th February 2015 06:48 AM

Watched Vicente Aranda's Blood Spattered Bride again last night. Another excellent adaption of the Carmilla story.

Alexandra Bastedo is the lesbian vampire who sets out to steal the gorgeous newly wed Susan (Bell From Hell's Maribel Martin), from her domineering husband Simon Andreu (Death Walks in High Heels).

This is an absolute classic Spanish cult horror film which is rich with atmosphere and a gothic feel.
One of my favourite scenes is were Susan's husband finds Bastedo nude under the sand with just a snorkel sticking out. Very unique. :D
The old Anchor Bay dvd still looks pretty good, but i'd upgrade it to bluray in a heart beat.

keirarts 15th February 2015 07:19 AM

Zombie hunters.

Utterly dreadful film that manages to be one of the worst zombie films I can remember seeing. I'm including all the Bruno Mattei ones here. Its 'european' and everyone lives in cities communicating via virtual reality. A bunch of people decide to head outside (why? Well TBH I'm not sure, at this point I ceased caring) and they find some zombies. The main problem with the film is the film-makers ambitions outstrip both ability and budget. The dystopian city looks rubbish, as does the CGI effects and acting. The whole film seems to be attempting to make some profound take on the destruction of inter-personal relationships by modern technology, however it just ends up being f&*%^&g boring. EVENTUALLY the zombies turned up which was enough for me to drop the pills and booze but it was too little to late. I did contemplate taking this to CEX to get at least some of my money back but I don't want to be responsible for anyone else seeing this catastrophic turd of a movie so I kept the amray, tore up the sleeeve and snapped the disc in two. DON'T EVER WATCH THIS! It's hatefully, awfully terrible in a way that makes me so angry I think I'd pefer to watch Hellgate.

keirarts 15th February 2015 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Blade (Post 435991)
Watched Vicente Aranda's Blood Spattered Bride again last night. Another excellent adaption of the Carmilla story.

Alexandra Bastedo is the lesbian vampire who sets out to steal the gorgeous newly wed Susan (Bell From Hell's Maribel Martin), from her domineering husband Simon Andreu (Death Walks in High Heels).

This is an absolute classic Spanish cult horror film which is rich with atmosphere and a gothic feel.
One of my favourite scenes is were Susan's husband finds Bastedo nude under the sand with just a snorkel sticking out. Very unique. :D
The old Anchor Bay dvd still looks pretty good, but i'd upgrade it to bluray in a heart beat.

Blood spattered bride comes as a bonus feature on the daughters of darkness blu from blue underground. Its still SD however

Rik 15th February 2015 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 435989)
I watched 50 Shades Of Grey last night, in my defence it was a Valentines Day treat for the missus. Never has a film about sex bored me so much. I wouldn't say it was bad, just incredibly 'meh'.

I think I'm taking one for the team and going to watch this tonight, payback for dragging her to Grimmfest to watch Suspiria and Dawn of the Dead last October, knew that would come back and spank me on the arse! :lol:

keirarts 15th February 2015 10:55 AM

Texas Roadside massacre.

Now this is more like it. Unlike the dreary wank that is Zombie hunters, Texas roadside massacre is a film made by people aware of their limitations and are cutting their cloth accordingly and setting out to entertain rather than bog the film down with ideas that work better in 2AM daydreams after copious amounts of weed.
The film is very generic, a bunch of kids head of to find one of the groups sister, somewhere in the heart of Texas. Once there they run afoul of the cannibalistic nut-jobs that run a local BBQ shack with the slave labour from some of their lobotomised victims and the meat supplied by the ones who are killed outright. It's fairly predictable for anyone who has ever seen Texas chainsaw massacre or any of the 1000+ knock off's of its formula so this film will never be considered any kind of classic. However it's well paced, reasonably well shot and edited and sticks to keeping the trash hungry cult film audience satisfied enough to not want to switch it off.

keirarts 15th February 2015 11:10 AM

Maps to the stars.

Following in the footsteps of films about Hollywood such as Sunset Boulevard, The Player, Mullholland drive and the also quite recent Starry eyes, David Croneberg's latest opus tears apart the image of Tintsletown with even more well aimed savagery than any of those films. Julianne Moore plays a haunted Diva whose better days are behind her, who may or may not have been sexually abused by her mother, a Hollywood icon. she's campaigning to star in a remake of the film that won her mother an Oscar and in preparation has been seeing a new age guru played by John Cusack. Cusak and his wife played by olivia williams have a 13 year old son already out of rehab and a star of an asinine mega-hit bad babysitter. He's a shallow warped little sod who plays like a junior version of a character from one of Brett Easton Ellis's novels. Mia Wasikowska in full 'no makeup dowdy' mode plays Cusak and Williams older daughter, scarred from an attempt to burn down their home and now working for Moore as her assistant. As the film progresses some very dark secrets emerge and things get quite nasty indeed.

Maps is a fantastic, if somewhat bleak and unpleasant film that spares the audience nothing in uncovering the dark recesses of the Hollywood dream. Its not perhaps as directly savage as Starry eyes, a film that came out around the same time but its equally as nasty in a more internalised and tragic sense. It's often uncomfortable viewing but ultimately rewarding and is up there in the best films of 2014 for me along side nightcrawler.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th February 2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 436004)
Maps to the stars.

I also watched that this week, and again with the commentary, and completely agree with your summation. Maps to the Stars is tremendous, probably one of the 10 best films David Cronenberg has made.

J Harker 15th February 2015 04:22 PM

Last nighy i watched Carl Theodore Drydens Vampyr courtesy of the MoC disc.
Not sure, it starts out wonderfully then gets a bit jumbled. Probably one that requires multiple viewings but i found the story a bit hard to follow.
This afternoon i just watched Friedkins The French Connection. I tried this a few weeks back and found it dull as dishwater and really wasn't impressed, i actually fell asleep about halfway through. Whether it was late or i just wasn't in the right frame of mind i don't know but i really really enjoyed it this time. A brilliant police thriller that uses its New York settings to the max making the city almost as much of a character as Popeye himself, a fantastic Gene Hackman in the best performance I've ever seen of the guy. Love the sudden ambiguous ending too. Pity the blu transfer is a bit all over the shop but it doesn't stop the film being excellent. Hopefully I'll get to watch the sequel tomorrow.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th February 2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 436030)
Last nighy i watched Carl Theodore Drydens Vampyr courtesy of the MoC disc.
Not sure, it starts out wonderfully then gets a bit jumbled. Probably one that requires multiple viewings but i found the story a bit hard to follow.

I would either listen to the commentaries and then watch it again or read the short story Carmilla by J Sheridan Le Fanu from the book In a Glass Darkly before giving it another go – doing both might prove even more eye opening – as you will probably understand the basic story easier and then notice the brilliance of Dreyer's direction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 436030)
This afternoon i just watched Friedkins The French Connection. I tried this a few weeks back and found it dull as dishwater and really wasn't impressed, i actually fell asleep about halfway through. Whether it was late or i just wasn't in the right frame of mind i don't know but i really really enjoyed it this time. A brilliant police thriller that uses its New York settings to the max making the city almost as much of a character as Popeye himself, a fantastic Gene Hackman in the best performance I've ever seen of the guy. Love the sudden ambiguous ending too. Pity the blu transfer is a bit all over the shop but it doesn't stop the film being excellent. Hopefully I'll get to watch the sequel tomorrow.

I'm glad you gave it another go, because I think The French Connection is one of the greatest crime thrillers of the 1970s, if not the entire 20th century, with the '70s as a particularly strong decade for that genre. Gene Hackman hates his performance, simply because 'Popeye' Doyle is such an unlikeable character and he had real trouble with the part, threatening to quit on several occasions.

The colours on the British release are all over the place so, if you really like the film, you should buy the 'Filmmakers Signature Collection' release, where the colour timing has been corrected and it looks as good as it should.

Crimson Blade 15th February 2015 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 435997)
Blood spattered bride comes as a bonus feature on the daughters of darkness blu from blue underground. Its still SD however

I think it's an identical port of the Anchor Bay version as well, isn't it?

keirarts 15th February 2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Blade (Post 436061)
I think it's an identical port of the Anchor Bay version as well, isn't it?

I think so. Its been a good few years since I saw the Anchor bay release. Worth getting Daughters of Darkness either way as its a fantastic film.

Frankie Teardrop 15th February 2015 08:44 PM

MOSQUITO DER SCHANDER - Mid seventies German production featuring a mute file clerk who, humiliated and abused by everyone around him, decides to pop down the local morgue with his glass proboscis and start tapping the veins of the only ones who won't sneer in his face and treat him like a subhuman... sound depressing? Yeah, kind of, although interminable scenes of lead Werner Pochath bobbing about on a seemingly undersized scooter do undermine things a little on that score... 'joking' aside, 'Mosquito' is still pretty bleak, despite the scooter comedy-basic. 'Mosquito's elements are pretty horror-basic too, in that we're faced with lone ant/protagonist steadily losing it in an isolated bedsit surrounded by dolls and Giger posters, then a whole slew of corpse desecrations before a wonky resolution. Giger posters I can overlook, but dolls, I'm always up for more dolls. Despise them as clichés, but I can't get enough of them. Neither can Charles Band, and surely he's OK? Maybe I'm joking again. Here, the dolls are creepy, in that implicitly and slightly inappropriately eroticised way which smacks of seventies tinge. There's a whole lot of 'seventies tinge' about 'Mosquito', and in fact everything feels completely in tune with my mind's ersatz re-creation of the Euro-bloc circa 1977, right down to the spiralling uniformity of a plunge down an office block stairwell. The flip-side of this is the (slightly less effective) 'gothic' of some of the morgue and graveyard sequences. It's all tightly marshalled and boxed in though, and the limited horizons of Pochath's existence - work, bedsit, morgue (shit, gotta say at this point, he's doing one better than I am) - inspire a claustrophobic ambience, which is augmented by direction in the correct Euro-sleaze key of red-lit exploitation and vaguely arty surrealism. It's pretty gruesome... in fact, feels gorier than it is, the rubbish special effects lending a certain tawdriness to proceedings which is confirmed by the feel of the movie overall. What makes it more poignant than a mere low rent wallow is the narrative line which follows the fate of Mosquito's muse, a neighbour whose dreamy innocence parallels his own (sort of, minus the corpse ravaging). I cried at the end! That dancing in the forest! OK, I didn't cry, but I almost cried at 'Bright Eyes' when I was a kid. Anyway, if you dug 'Martin' but thought it was a little too optimistic, look no further. I have a feeling that some or many will balk at one early scene which depicts a quite hideous act of parental cruelty in a way which maybe seems a bit questionable in a statutory sense, but 'Mosquito' is a likely recommendation for weird people who like weird films about weird people.

Susan Foreman 15th February 2015 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 436002)
I think I'm taking one for the team and going to watch this tonight, payback for dragging her to Grimmfest to watch Suspiria and Dawn of the Dead last October, knew that would come back and spank me on the arse! :lol:

Bonus!

Make Them Die Slowly 15th February 2015 09:06 PM

MARDAANI. Hard arse cop flick straight out of India, with a female police officer on the trail of child traffickers. I really enjoyed this having only seen the singing and dancing end of Indian cinema previously. I'm pretty sure I missed loads of the political aspects to the plot, along with a host of Indian pop culture references along the way. I especially liked the ending where the heroine beats the shit out of the baddie and leaves him to be killed by loads of pre pubescent girls dressed as French maids who his was just about to pimp out to the high and mighty of the city.

nosferatu42 15th February 2015 10:29 PM

Nice review Frankie, i've got an old VHS of Mosquito that i found in a charity shop under the title Bloodlust, only problem is it's cut, but strangely i think most of the gore is there but the distributors cut out huge chunks of story.
After watching it i looked at some scenes on youtube, they had cut out the stuff as a child and some of the neighbour stuff.
On the back a label says 'Special Edition 1hr version'.:crazy:
Even from what i could make out it seemed very bleak but quite interesting and unusual, quite arty in places, would like to see a full version eventually. This is one of those films that some uk label should release in my opinion.:nod:

Frankie Teardrop 16th February 2015 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 436106)
Nice review Frankie, i've got an old VHS of Mosquito that i found in a charity shop under the title Bloodlust, only problem is it's cut, but strangely i think most of the gore is there but the distributors cut out huge chunks of story.
After watching it i looked at some scenes on youtube, they had cut out the stuff as a child and some of the neighbour stuff.
On the back a label says 'Special Edition 1hr version'.:crazy:
Even from what i could make out it seemed very bleak but quite interesting and unusual, quite arty in places, would like to see a full version eventually. This is one of those films that some uk label should release in my opinion.:nod:

"Special One Hour Edition!" I love things like that. If only I had a pair of those 'They Live' shades, then I'd be able to see through to the "We love rubbing the public's face in the diarrhoea of their own vile stupidity. Now cut yer knob off. DUHHHH!" message which obviously isn't intended. Always nice when the product controllers find a slightly less insulting way of patronising us. Makes life inside the death machine seem that little bit more tolerable.

As for Moz... would be great if a UK outfit took it on, although I'm not sure the flashback scenes would get through unscathed. They're really cruel, although not eroticised. I'd have thought 'Mosquito' would make a pretty cool number for Mondo Macabro or some such, but who knows how all the rights issues work out. I'm surprised it hasn't made it on to Blu-Ray in a way, because obviously excellent materials exist, given the image quality obvious even from the stuff on show on eg. Youtube.

Crimson Blade 16th February 2015 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 436071)
I think so. Its been a good few years since I saw the Anchor bay release. Worth getting Daughters of Darkness either way as its a fantastic film.

Totally agree. Love Daughters of Darkness as well.

I have the first edition that Blue Underground put out around 2003. Doesn't look too great now to be honest.
Keep meaning to pick up the bluray.

fuzzymctiger 16th February 2015 09:28 AM

Ramble time! I have an assessment tomorrow and there's only so much you can read about Turn of the Screw. Reverse order as usual. Sadly, I put this off too long, so some great thoughts (or complaints) may have since dissapeared.

Toxic Avenger III: The last time anyone should use left over footage for a sequel, Or How to become a Toxic Yuppie - Jesus christ what an absolute bore. You know you're in for trouble when an hour of an 100 minute run time is a flashback. You also lose consistency, with a headscratchingly poor move to have Toxie casually work for the villains of the first movie. The humour is dry, and so is the action. The last 40 minutes is a long battle in a series of challenges, with the devil himself. But this section just gets bizarre, with random reversing action, a painful to watch rehash of the original Melvin, god appearing, and more. As for the disc, 88's disc is packed with extras, but sadly a mess. Transfer is a lot dirtier than the other two, it's missing gore (not obvious jump cuts, but obvious lack for Toxie), it has a random 2 second poor 4x3 film stock insert that shouldn't be there. Unless you're a completist or an absolute die-hard fan, both of which I am, avoid. That being said, I still have high hopes for Citizen Toxie. 4/10

Blood Feast 2: All U Can Eat - Before i start reviewing, holy shit, a note on the disaster of a dvd and the fun experience I got out of it. Arrow's disc is in 4x3. The film is is 1:85. The transfer is 4x3, but with black bars, so it appears window boxed on any mdoern tv. But the credits fill the 4x3 box. Pissed at the idea of watching it window boxed, I said stuff it to director intensions, and stretched the 4x3 to 16:9. The result? I watched Blood Feast 2 in 2:35, and ****ing loved it. If you have this disc, try it, the film works fantastically, and nobody really looks too stretched at all.
As for the film, well what can one say about it? It's shit. It's self aware and shit, it's vapid, it's brutal as hell, and I loved it. The dialogue and characters are all over the top and ridicolous, and the gore is positively filthy, long and lingering. At times, quite purposely hilarious, like the recurring body of the father no one cares about. The opinion I reached was this movie is making fun of it's older incarnations, and is doing it again for fun. And it succeeds spectacularly. The overacting is theatrical as opposed to unbearable, the plot is goofball as opposed to silly, and the soundtrack is top. I rated it 8/10, but it gets a 10/10 for a Saturday night good time.

Once Upon A Time in America - I saw the 200 and god knows what minute version, but long story short it was the longest version and probably too long for the single sitting in a theatre I was at. Some new material is good, some is pointless, the quality of most is jarring. The film itself? A very interesting look at an era, that is very well directed and haunting at times. The opening sequence with the ringing phone is a perfect piece of film making in my opinion. The rest of the film could have done with splitting in two. It's very long and some scene's get pretty boring, and certainly plays out as more of a drama than any other genre really. Overall I enjoyed it, but I can't recollect an awful lot of thoughts on the film. 9/10

Turn of the Screw - the BBC tv adaption. ****ing awful in every regard. A travesty of an adaptation and a travesty of a film. Performances suck, editing and direction is laughable, excessive and ridiculous. A classic story butchered. 1/10

Natural Born Killers - Wow. This left me shocked and in awe. A true experiment in every single form of media, from music to every medium for filming imaginable. I was gripped immediately, but nearly lost it around the middle and was surprised by how soon they were in prison, but boy it just kept getting better. The multimedia rapid cutting, use of ads and stock footage, and sequences playing out like sitcoms, this film cleverly blends whatever it can get it's hands on to critique the society of it's time, and much like A Clockwork Orange, shock and confuse everyone in the process. The performances here are not to be questioned. Woody Harrelson is chilling, Robert Downy Jnr wild and believable, and Tommy Lee Jones is an absolute blast. The ending prison riot is the stuff of nightmares, the single most effective piece of brutality and hell I have ever seen (in the Director's cut only). If you haven't seen this, watch it. If you have, I'm curious to know what you think, as it appears to be very polarizing. 10/10

Midnight Movies: From Margin to Mainstream - Always wanted to watch this, and was pleased to see it on TV. Not so much a full documentary, but a look at the midnight success of each of the 6 films individually in order, with short connections. One could chop a segment out and make it a special feature on the respective film, and it would be great. On the whole it still works great though. One need not know the films, as they're briefly enough explained through lots of used footage, and interviews from the distributors, fans, and the directors themselves. And the director's themselves should be applauded, because they both love it. All are full of smiles and stories, and very very vibrant. John Waters, George A Romero, and David Lynch stick out, as all are very different filmmakers, who tell great stories, make you laugh, and are pleasant to watch. If you have any interest in these films, or their type in general, I highly recommend. 10/10

Toxic Avenger Part II: The much better sequel - I started this when I first received the disc, but just never got around to finishing it until recently, so memory is a bit stuffed. First the American set scenes at the start and finish, well are a lot of fun and gore, but some such as the opening battle, are far too drawn out. A lot of laughs here however, and still good silly fun. The Japan scenes? Absolutely loved them. For a studio as insensitive as Troma, they somehow made something so very accurate. Never once is it racist or does it stereotype, but in fact quite accurately depicts aspects of their culture, is shot on location in Tokyo at a variety of known, however not iconic places (I've been to a few which made it even better), and the Japanese cast truly give it their all. Overall an 8/10, but if you have interest in Japan, this is a good watch.

The Delta Force - I've had this for a while but put it off due to low expectations and long run time. I really shouldn't have though. The first half depicting the hijacking, I felt was honestly 10/10 material. If it was made as it's own movie, I feel it would have done very well, as the acting is very good and it's all very well executed for tension. Of course the second hour is extremely silly, but great action fun all the same. 9/10

Thief - This was a very good movie. I'm having trouble with thoughts here though. I really liked the score and cinematography, and the realism of the robberies was very good. It's tense, it's interesting, if you like Scorsese i'd say you'd like this. Had a lot of trouble with inaudible dialogue though. 10/10

Birdman - A solid film about an adaptation of a Carver story becoming very much a Carver story in itself. That's my only original thought here really. Everything else is obvious and has been said. Riotously funny, mesmerizing performances, unique scoring and cinematography. See it. 10/10

The Last Horror Film - I wanted to see this for a while, expecting it to be a 2nd Maniac almost, but was very pleasantly surprised in how much it wasn't. This film is almost like a time capsule. Depeche Mode and constant soft rock, Cannes Film Festival with a LOT of poster shots, and also the air that this needed to be rescued from somewhere. Two scenes of violence are from a very dark tape, and the opening credits jump around a fair bit with the music. However, this is a fun almost slasher. People connected to an actress die as Spinell tries to make his movie. Fun twist at the end that I really liked, and a hilarious final shot. It's a fun by the numbers almost Scooby Doo like horror movie, very self aware. 7/10

I'm splitting this in half here in case I lose anything and for easier reading.

fuzzymctiger 16th February 2015 10:09 AM

This one will be shorter as i remember a lot less of these

Tomb of Ligea - The best of the box I think. On location shooting and a very interesting story make for a much more interesting story than the previous films. 9/10

The Raven - An odd little film. Feels like a Sunday matinee kids film, silly harmless fun. Some good laughs and a fun little plot of magic battles and grudges. A very young Jack Nicholson appears as well. 8/10

Powaqqatsi - Right off the bat one can tell this won't be as operatic as it's predecessor and future Fricke films. The others opt for a slow build, a progression of themes, music, and images from slow and steady to fast and frantic. Powa however, opts to jump in blazing. As a result, it feels much less organized than the previous installment, and a fair lot of the images aren't as interested and powerful. It does improve around the second half however, bringing in more interesting shots and variation, but I guess it just will never be able to live up to the masterpiece the original. Arrow's Blu, like Koyaan, is Perfect. 8/10

Mark of the Devil - An odd film. Interesting varied characters and respective performances, and a cool score, whilst also being excessive, and kind of downbeat and repetitive. 7/10

Cheeky - Ugh. I picked this out as it was the Brass film that interested me most and supposedly one of his better ones, but shit if this is the better end I can't imagine the worst. This feels like porn, with unbelievable situations and characters. The main male character is so extremely misogynistic it's painful, what little plot there is runs wild, and so much of the sex manages to be unsexy. It's just boring and a very poor production. Well shot though, and a very fun score. Some very nice eye candy as well. Sadly the film offers naught else. 2/10

Night of the Comet - I loved this. Love love looooooooved it. There is so much good, the characters and story are fun, the scenery is fun, the writing is fun, it progresses nicely and steadily with different plot points. I just couldn't find anything wrong with it at all. I'm sure it didn't help that the main character and her sister remind me so much of my girlfriend and her sister, but still. This film would be perfectly paired with Return of the Living Dead. So 80's, so much fun, so good. 10/10

Branded to Kill - This opened very well, but fell so quickly. It's just wierd, and I feel it doesn't fit well in the Video line. It's wierd, it's all over the place, it's boring as hell for the most part. I didn't like it, but the bonus movie version looks more up my alley. 5/10

Black Sabbath - I have a slight sense of shame in saying this is the first Bava film I've enjoyed. Black Sunday did nothing, Baron Blood was silly, Lisa and the Devil i haven't even finished, Bay of Blood was cool but all over the place. This hwoever, is solid. Three stories, that never overstay their welcome. Good suspense and shooting and interesting stories. The third, A Drop of Water I think it was called, was amazing, the colorful cinematography, the amazing sets, and that face. I hope Blood and Black Lace is like this, it looks to be. 9/10

A Beautiful Mind - Tragic as hell, but very moving and interesting, with great twists. Not very real as it says however, but still good. 9/10

Bound - This really impressed me, as with such a small location and plot, it works amazing tension and action, and shows the future potential the Wachowski's proved with the Matrix and pissed away with everything after. 9/10

Naked Lunch - This was so overlong and boring and confusing and just wow, I have never been so lost with a movie so fast. 30 minutes in I was pretty much gone and it never got me again. The only redeeming features are Ed Harris' performance, and two great monologues regarding homosexuality, and a talking asshole. 2/10

Well thats it, i barey remember any of those.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th February 2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 436142)
Naked Lunch - This was so overlong and boring and confusing and just wow, I have never been so lost with a movie so fast. 30 minutes in I was pretty much gone and it never got me again. The only redeeming features are Ed Harris' performance, and two great monologues regarding homosexuality, and a talking asshole. 2/10

I love Naked Lunch. It's a brave attempt at a virtually unfilmable book. I highly recommend the book.

As for talking assholes...there are a lot of them about.

nosferatu42 16th February 2015 11:15 AM

I love Naked Lunch too, i think it helps to make sense of the film more if you find out about Burroughs life ,which is reflected in parts of the story. :pop2:

Buboven 16th February 2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 436142)
This one will be shorter as i remember a lot less of these

Tomb of Ligea - The best of the box I think. On location shooting and a very interesting story make for a much more interesting story than the previous films. 9/10

The Raven - An odd little film. Feels like a Sunday matinee kids film, silly harmless fun. Some good laughs and a fun little plot of magic battles and grudges. A very young Jack Nicholson appears as well. 8/10

Powaqqatsi - Right off the bat one can tell this won't be as operatic as it's predecessor and future Fricke films. The others opt for a slow build, a progression of themes, music, and images from slow and steady to fast and frantic. Powa however, opts to jump in blazing. As a result, it feels much less organized than the previous installment, and a fair lot of the images aren't as interested and powerful. It does improve around the second half however, bringing in more interesting shots and variation, but I guess it just will never be able to live up to the masterpiece the original. Arrow's Blu, like Koyaan, is Perfect. 8/10

Mark of the Devil - An odd film. Interesting varied characters and respective performances, and a cool score, whilst also being excessive, and kind of downbeat and repetitive. 7/10

Cheeky - Ugh. I picked this out as it was the Brass film that interested me most and supposedly one of his better ones, but shit if this is the better end I can't imagine the worst. This feels like porn, with unbelievable situations and characters. The main male character is so extremely misogynistic it's painful, what little plot there is runs wild, and so much of the sex manages to be unsexy. It's just boring and a very poor production. Well shot though, and a very fun score. Some very nice eye candy as well. Sadly the film offers naught else. 2/10

Night of the Comet - I loved this. Love love looooooooved it. There is so much good, the characters and story are fun, the scenery is fun, the writing is fun, it progresses nicely and steadily with different plot points. I just couldn't find anything wrong with it at all. I'm sure it didn't help that the main character and her sister remind me so much of my girlfriend and her sister, but still. This film would be perfectly paired with Return of the Living Dead. So 80's, so much fun, so good. 10/10

Branded to Kill - This opened very well, but fell so quickly. It's just wierd, and I feel it doesn't fit well in the Video line. It's wierd, it's all over the place, it's boring as hell for the most part. I didn't like it, but the bonus movie version looks more up my alley. 5/10

Black Sabbath - I have a slight sense of shame in saying this is the first Bava film I've enjoyed. Black Sunday did nothing, Baron Blood was silly, Lisa and the Devil i haven't even finished, Bay of Blood was cool but all over the place. This hwoever, is solid. Three stories, that never overstay their welcome. Good suspense and shooting and interesting stories. The third, A Drop of Water I think it was called, was amazing, the colorful cinematography, the amazing sets, and that face. I hope Blood and Black Lace is like this, it looks to be. 9/10

A Beautiful Mind - Tragic as hell, but very moving and interesting, with great twists. Not very real as it says however, but still good. 9/10

Bound - This really impressed me, as with such a small location and plot, it works amazing tension and action, and shows the future potential the Wachowski's proved with the Matrix and pissed away with everything after. 9/10

Well thats it, i barey remember any of those.

I would swap the scores round fro Night of The Comet (though for me it scrapes a 6) and Branded to Kill myself.

fuzzymctiger 16th February 2015 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 436143)
I love Naked Lunch. It's a brave attempt at a virtually unfilmable book. I highly recommend the book.

I'm certainly up for giving it another go at some point, with subtitles this time. But first time around I was bored silly

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 436144)
I love Naked Lunch too, i think it helps to make sense of the film more if you find out about Burroughs life ,which is reflected in parts of the story. :pop2:

I did some reading as I went, the whole William Tell incident is fascinating. Apparently another movie was made about just that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buboven (Post 436146)
I would swap the scores round fro Night of The Comet (though for me it scrapes a 6) and Branded to Kill myself.

Ah well, the world would be boring if we all had the same opinions. I think Night of the Comet is a new favourtie for me :)

gag 16th February 2015 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 436143)

Im sure i read somewhere that when he wrote the book he was high on drugs hence the weirdness. But when he come clean off drugs and tried help making the film he was just as lost as everybody else to what the book was about. so they kind of went with the flow and altered a few bits because if they made it as weird and bizarre as the book then it would have cost more to make and be too controversial and be a nightmare with the censorship in just about every country. or something along those lines.

gag 16th February 2015 12:41 PM

John doe vigilante

wow one of the best films seen in a long time.
Made by those from down under where we seem to be getting a lot of good films from these days.
Joe is a serial killers but only kills people like rapist pedophiles etc.
He being interviewed and telling his story why.
It doesn't play out like exterminator or the horseman its more of putting across both sides of the argument for and against, is he really doing good or is he just as bad as the others etc, it doesn't come across as a low budget film more like a big Hollywood blockbuster if you haven't seen it then do so now you wont be disappointed.
I recon itL become a firm favourite amongst people on here .

Demoncrat 16th February 2015 02:14 PM

Watched......

East LA Warriors (Addison Randall, 1989).
Didn't Godard say that "a film is a girl and a gun" ?? Well, in that case this is the greatest film of all time.
Or not.
From that "man in house" in Emperor Of The Bronx :laugh:, this torrid tale of loss, anger and high calibre gunplay kept me rivetted to my seat. Until I got bored. For undemanding action fans...

Snatch (Guy Ritchie, 2000). Not as funny as I remembered. Still, only two to get now (3 if y'count Wild Card though......;))

Sorceress (Brian Stuart, 1982). Not as sleazy as Albert Pyun's simliarly S&S themed effort from the same year, two siblings are pitted against a clothing shortage, amongst other perils haha. Ends with the best pay off line in ages!!! :)

sjconstable 16th February 2015 07:32 PM

Tokyo Tribe (2014) - 8/10

Sion Sono just keeps churning out amazing films, I don't know how he does it! What this film lacks in substance, it makes up for in pure entertainment value and is somewhat addictive, I already want to watch it for a third time in the space of 24 hours :D

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th February 2015 07:32 PM

WITHNAIL AND I-Classic British comedy.Makes you long for a sodden weekend in the Lake District,as long as Uncle Monty ain't invited....

RABID-Classic Cronenberg,much prefer his oldies to his modern stuff.Bleak and straight to the gore.No ****ing about here with complicated plots.....And those old Cronenberg names-class....Dr Keloid....made me yearn for a bowl of corn flakes:tongue1:

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE-First time I've seen this.Laurence Harvey is superb.Now all we need is his other classic,WELCOME TO ARROW BEACH on Blu uncut.Knowing my luck,Stanley Coopersmith,sorry Olsen will pick up the rights...:rolleyes:

FRIGHT NIGHT-The 35th anniv.was well worth the upgrade.Great Q&A sesh...

THE BONE COLLECTOR-DenZEL does Seven.

FALLEN-DenZEL does Seven with a supernatural slant....

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 16th February 2015 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjconstable (Post 436184)
Tokyo Tribe (2014) - 8/10

Sion Sono just keeps churning out amazing films, I don't know how he does it! What this film lacks in substance, it makes up for in pure entertainment value and is somewhat addictive, I already want to watch it for a third time in the space of 24 hours :D

Looking forward to checking this one out myself eventually.

Buboven 16th February 2015 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 436147)
I'm certainly up for giving it another go at some point, with subtitles this time. But first time around I was bored silly

I did some reading as I went, the whole William Tell incident is fascinating. Apparently another movie was made about just that.

Ah well, the world would be boring if we all had the same opinions. I think Night of the Comet is a new favourtie for me :)

Totally agree, and I have a recent new fav aswell, so we are both happy Arrow costumers :nod: :tea:

JoshuaKaitlyn 16th February 2015 09:48 PM

From 1963 - part 1:

Blood Feast - The oldest picture in the DPP list of 'video nasties'.

The Kiss of the Vampire - Heres one I haven't seen in a very long while. Not too bad despite the bats-on-a-string attack.

Kings of the Sun - Great performance by Yul Brynner, shame about the rest of the movie though.

Fun in Acapulco - Generic Presley.

Summer Holiday - Bloody awful!

Promises, Promises - Jayne Mansfield gets 'em out! Which is the only highlight of this picture!

- Another Fellini that really does nothing for me! Won the Oscar for best foreign picture

Doctor In Distress - Dirk Bogarde returns to the franchise in a passable entry to the series.

Leri, Oggi, Domani - Although released in 1963 this went on to win the Oscar for best foreign picture the following year. Its anthology film with three separate stories each with Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni in each part.

The Birds - Classic Hitchcock, no explanation as to why theres an Avian uprising, none needed just sit back and enjoy!