Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Buboven 19th March 2015 11:28 PM

White God (2014)

6/10.

nosferatu42 19th March 2015 11:29 PM

Been watching the Horror channel alot since it descended from the heavens upon the unsuspecting public.
Been hoping it would materialise upon Freeview eventually.:woot:

So far a mixed bag, but whatever way you look at it it's a big money saver if you're into dodgy horror.:nod:

2001 maniacs

Found this entertaining,i like the H.G.lewis original for the cheesy gore but if you're honest it's only half a good film, scenes drag and unless you've got a big tolerance for hillbilly tunes and bad acting it goes on half an hour too long.
This loses the kitsch naive charm but retains it's cheesy low budget sensibilities and dodgy B movie performances while upping the gore.
Retains it's tongue in cheek feel and dodgy hillbilly music, so for me was a decent remake that kept some of the spirit of the original.

7/10 because i was entertained.:pop2:

nosferatu42 19th March 2015 11:33 PM

I'm still waiting for the other Nosferatu to take the bait, with my red rag to a bull review of the Exorcist.:tongue1:
Has anybody ever seen Nos and Mark Kermode in the same room?
Just out of interest.;)

Buboven 20th March 2015 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 440590)
Been watching the Horror channel alot since it descended from the heavens upon the unsuspecting public.
Been hoping it would materialise upon Freeview eventually.:woot:

So far a mixed bag, but whatever way you look at it it's a big money saver if you're into dodgy horror.:nod:

2001 maniacs

Found this entertaining,i like the H.G.lewis original for the cheesy gore but if you're honest it's only half a good film, scenes drag and unless you've got a big tolerance for hillbilly tunes and bad acting it goes on half an hour too long.
This loses the kitsch naive charm but retains it's cheesy low budget sensibilities and dodgy B movie performances while upping the gore.
Retains it's tongue in cheek feel and dodgy hillbilly music, so for me was a decent remake that kept some of the spirit of the original.

7/10 because i was entertained.:pop2:

The only problem with the Horror Channel I have is that it so pixelated on a HD TV.

nosferatu42 20th March 2015 12:08 AM

I'm low tech, so it's all good to me.:tongue1:
This sums up technology to me, if everythings at different levels whats the point.:nod:
You tube must be like nails on a blackboard then.:lol:

nosferatu42 20th March 2015 01:21 AM

More from the Horror channel.

The Langoliers

Erm, mixed feelings about this.
Started watching because i felt i should watch it once and had nothing better to do.
The story premise was interesting in a Twilight Zone way, this got me hooked, some of the performances were ok in a TV movie kinda way, Dean Stockwell is always worth watching.
Watched both eps back to back, god did it drag, was about 4 hours long, might have been good at around 2 hours tops.
On the plus side the woman in the green top was kinda sexy.:)
The main problem with it was nothing really happened, people transported through a rip in time to a place where nothing happens, some creatures appear that don't actually do anything to affect the main characters hardly.The whole thing is a character piece, but when the actings not that great it sort of self destructs
Stephen King turns up again for no reason apart from the paycheck.
All a bit meh really.

5/10

nosferatu42 20th March 2015 01:55 AM

And another H.C viewing.

Dark night of the scarecrow.

From what i gather this was originally a TV movie, if so it's one of the greats.
Has a really great atmosphere, Durant from Dark man is a mentally challenged guy who is falsely accused of killing a girl who didn't really die,and is murdered while disguised as a scarecrow... talk about having a bad day.
The scene when he get's killed is pretty haunting and powerful.:nod:
The four guys responsible get let off, so it is up to karma to sort it all out.
I had seen this when i was a kid and didn't rate it much. watching again i appreciated the creepy atmosphere, decent performances and sense of impending doom a lot more.
Hardly any blood but i found it effective, only wished there was more scarecrow action because the actual costume is creepy.Loved the final scene with the little girl.
Recommended if you're looking for atmosphere over blood.
8/10

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th March 2015 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 440591)
I'm still waiting for the other Nosferatu to take the bait, with my red rag to a bull review of the Exorcist.:tongue1:
Has anybody ever seen Nos and Mark Kermode in the same room?
Just out of interest.;)

I'm pretty sure my opinion about The Exorcist is well known and, although you're entitled to your opinion, you're wrong!

J Harker 20th March 2015 09:52 AM

Admittedly i have to give The Exorcist another go, like Friedkins other considered classic French Connection i fell asleep the first twice i sat to watch The Exorcist, unlike The French Connection (which i thoroughly enjoyed) on the third try i still wasn't impressed. The narrative just seemed to be all over the shop. Regans mother worry and attempts to get help didn't seem to synch with Regan's actual behaviour. It felt as if Friedkin was rushing to get to the shocks and falling over himself on the way.

Frankenhooker 20th March 2015 10:21 AM

Personally, I think not only is The Exorcist one of the best horror films of all time, it's one of the great American films period. Watching The Exorcist on the big screen is one of the best theatrical experiences I've had.

Rik 20th March 2015 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 440612)
Personally, I think not only is The Exorcist one of the best horror films of all time, it's one of the great American films period. Watching The Exorcist on the big screen is one of the best theatrical experiences I've had.

Mine too, despite the fact all my mates were laughing throughout! I'd already read the book 3 times by the time I got to see the film in 1998 at the cinema, and it didn't disappoint, still doesn't tbh. I'm not sure I'm as big a fan of it as Nos, but it's one I watch regularly and am actually using two scenes as part of my final Uni project (which I will show off here once it's finished for criticism).

I read some reviews that compared The Babadook to The Exorcist, no idea how they came to that conclusion, unless it's because they both feature single mothers with a troubled child?

Demoncrat 20th March 2015 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 440601)
And another H.C viewing.

Dark night of the scarecrow.

From what i gather this was originally a TV movie, if so it's one of the greats.
Has a really great atmosphere, Durant from Dark man is a mentally challenged guy who is falsely accused of killing a girl who didn't really die,and is murdered while disguised as a scarecrow... talk about having a bad day.
The scene when he get's killed is pretty haunting and powerful.:nod:
The four guys responsible get let off, so it is up to karma to sort it all out.
I had seen this when i was a kid and didn't rate it much. watching again i appreciated the creepy atmosphere, decent performances and sense of impending doom a lot more.
Hardly any blood but i found it effective, only wished there was more scarecrow action because the actual costume is creepy.Loved the final scene with the little girl.
Recommended if you're looking for atmosphere over blood.
8/10

A great film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th March 2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 440610)
Admittedly i have to give The Exorcist another go, like Friedkins other considered classic French Connection i fell asleep the first twice i sat to watch The Exorcist, unlike The French Connection (which i thoroughly enjoyed) on the third try i still wasn't impressed. The narrative just seemed to be all over the shop. Regans mother worry and attempts to get help didn't seem to synch with Regan's actual behaviour. It felt as if Friedkin was rushing to get to the shocks and falling over himself on the way.

Have you ever listened to Friedkin's commentary or read the book?

There is so much material within the film that it can be taken as popcorn entertainment or a sociopolitical commentary on the changing nature of childhood, the emergence of a fairly threatening/misunderstood group of teenagers and students (referenced in the film Chris MacNeill is making) and even a degree of urban decay (the homeless man in the subway and the children jumping on cars in the rundown street where Karras goes to visit his mother).

It's a film which, as Friedkin says in the introduction, is one where you get out of it what you take into it and I've gradually found that the more I know, the more rewarding and experience the viewing experience becomes.

Along with Rosemary's Baby and The Omen, The Exorcist was one of the films which forms the background for the theoretical debate in my MA dissertation, so I've looked at it in more depth than most casual viewers!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th March 2015 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 440617)
I read some reviews that compared The Babadook to The Exorcist, no idea how they came to that conclusion, unless it's because they both feature single mothers with a troubled child?

That's the basic similarity as, like you said, both films focus on mothers who can't understand their increasingly out-of-control child and their whole world seems to collapse around them in the process. The age difference between Reagan and Samuel seems to rule out any discussion of the influence of puberty on the strange behaviour and why the parent can't understand the child and how they are changing, but there is a degree of grief in both films as both children have, in one way or another, lost their fathers.

Buboven 20th March 2015 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 440618)
A great film.

Indeed, one of my very fave's aswell.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th March 2015 12:06 PM

The more i read about The Babadook the worse it sounds.

Nordicdusk 20th March 2015 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 440620)
Have you ever listened to Friedkin's commentary or read the book?

There is so much material within the film that it can be taken as popcorn entertainment or a sociopolitical commentary on the changing nature of childhood, the emergence of a fairly threatening/misunderstood group of teenagers and students (referenced in the film Chris MacNeill is making) and even a degree of urban decay (the homeless man in the subway and the children jumping on cars in the rundown street where Karras goes to visit his mother).

It's a film which, as Friedkin says in the introduction, is one where you get out of it what you take into it and I've gradually found that the more I know, the more rewarding and experience the viewing experience becomes.

Along with Rosemary's Baby and The Omen, The Exorcist was one of the films which forms the background for the theoretical debate in my MA dissertation, so I've looked at it in more depth than most casual viewers!

I must listen to the commentary later on myself still not gotten around to even watching the blu ray since I got it.

Rik 20th March 2015 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 440623)
The more i read about The Babadook the worse it sounds.

Do yourself a favour and spend £1 in Poundland for this, really enjoyable found footage type film, made by and starring Sean Stone (son of Oliver, who also has a small role) and a hell of a lot better than the Babadook!

Attachment 159573

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th March 2015 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 440624)
I must listen to the commentary later on myself still not gotten around to even watching the blu ray since I got it.

It's good, and much better than William Peter Blatty's, as he only speaks for half the length of the film – much of it describing what is happening on-screen – before finishing and leaving the rest of the commentary to outtakes and Mercedes McCambridge doing the 'Voice of the Demon'.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th March 2015 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 440625)
Do yourself a favour and spend £1 in Poundland for this, really enjoyable found footage type film, made by and starring Sean Stone (son of Oliver, who also has a small role) and a hell of a lot better than the Babadook!

Attachment 159573

Cheers Rik.

I'll pick up a copy.

Nordicdusk 20th March 2015 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 440626)
It's good, and much better than William Peter Blatty's, as he only speaks for half the length of the film – much of it describing what is happening on-screen – before finishing and leaving the rest of the commentary to outtakes and Mercedes McCambridge doing the 'Voice of the Demon'.

Thanks Nos I'll report back after I listen to it tonight.

Rik 20th March 2015 12:36 PM

I'll second that recommendation, great commentary :nod:

J Harker 20th March 2015 01:31 PM

I don't actually own the film i watched it on Now Tv at the time.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th March 2015 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 440633)
I don't actually own the film i watched it on Now Tv at the time.

:tsk:

:D

antmumford 20th March 2015 04:46 PM

I watched Automata after reading a review on here the other day and I quite enjoyed it. It*has moments of tremendous visuals and storytelling elegance but then let down with terrible acting and a bad script. The FX work, both CGI and practical, were 2nd to none. What made me chuckle was that Melanie Griffiths cameo was more robotic than the robots themselves. At one point I thought she was CGId in as her face is disfigured beyond belief. Thought Clio was much sexier!

trebor8273 20th March 2015 06:33 PM

More netflix viewings

Faust love of the dammed

awful managed about 20 minutes before I turned it off. 3/10

Dracula 2000

Better than I was expecting with some well knowing knowing faces . ( Christopher Plummer, Gerald butler, jeri Ryan , johhny Lee Miller and Nathan Fillion in an early role). Not going to win any awards and Miller was terrible( a sort of pre Danny dyer ) but enjoyed its take on how dracula became Dracula. A harmless bit a brainless fun 5/10

Next up I Frankenstein wonder if this is as bad as peopel say.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th March 2015 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 440779)
More netflix viewings

Faust loved of the dammed

I really like the film. I'm surprised you turned it off.

Still if we all liked the same things it would be awfully dull.

trebor8273 20th March 2015 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 440780)
I really like the film. I'm surprised you turned it off.

Still if we all liked the same things it would be awfully dull.

Might give it another go some time.

What's peoples views on I Frankenstein for those who have seen it

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th March 2015 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 440779)
More netflix viewings

Faust loved of the dammed

I thought it was okay, and have the Fantastic Factory boxset, which is all possible viewing.

I'm not sure how you can give it a score without watching the whole film and, based on your description, 3/10 seems generous anyway!

trebor8273 20th March 2015 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 440785)
I thought it was okay, and have the Fantastic Factory boxset, which is all possible viewing.

I'm not sure how you can give it a score without watching the whole film and, based on your description, 3/10 seems generous anyway!

From what I saw that's what I thought it deserved, but should watch it all, then rate it, plus points lots of gore and Jeffery Combs. Might try it again after watching I frankstein.

Nordicdusk 20th March 2015 06:54 PM

The Exorcist with the commentary. Thanks to Nos for bringing my attention to this it really is fantastic. The next time i watch the film I will see it in a whole new light. So many thing I never spotted in all the times I have watched the film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th March 2015 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 440789)
From what I saw that's what I thought it deserved, but should watch it all, then rate it, plus points lots of gore and Jeffery Combs. Might try it again after watching I frankstein.

I thought I Frankenstein was terrible, mostly because I love the book and it was clearly written and made by people who have no respect at all for Mary Shelley's masterpiece of horror.

Nordicdusk 20th March 2015 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 440793)
I thought I Frankenstein was terrible, mostly because I love the book and it was clearly written and made by people who have no respect at all for Mary Shelley's masterpiece of horror.

I was given the steelbook for free still not watched it i never had much interest in it to be honest but now I own it I may give it a watch sometime just not anytime soon :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th March 2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 440792)
The Exorcist with the commentary. Thanks to Nos for bringing my attention to this it really is fantastic. The next time i watch the film I will see it in a whole new light. So many thing I never spotted in all the times I have watched the film.

I'm pleased you enjoyed it and will hopefully see more in the film on your next viewing.

In some respects, the book is better than the film, but they are separate entities, and reading that will give another interpretation to events in the film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th March 2015 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 440795)
I was given the steelbook for free still not watched it i never had much interest in it to be honest but now I own it I may give it a watch sometime just not anytime soon :lol:

I suppose you're not losing anything but time!

Nordicdusk 20th March 2015 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 440796)
I'm pleased you enjoyed it and will hopefully see more in the film on your next viewing.

In some respects, the book is better than the film, but they are separate entities, and reading that will give another interpretation to events in the film.

I cant wait to read the book now after listening to this.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th March 2015 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 440801)
I cant wait to read the book now after listening to this.

Then there's the screenplay, Mark Kermode's BFI companion, The Friedkin Connection and a number of other books I could recommend!

Nordicdusk 20th March 2015 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 440805)
Then there's the screenplay, Mark Kermode's BFI companion, The Friedkin Connection and a number of other books I could recommend!

Thanks again i just ordered the book.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th March 2015 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 440808)
Thanks again i just ordered the book.

I look forward to reading what you think of it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th March 2015 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 440819)
I look forward to reading what you think of it.

Trebor has definitely hacked his account. :nod: