Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

PaulD 20th June 2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 159246)
Watched 'Inception' on Blu, really liked it, for a CGI it's pretty good. And is it just me or is good old Leo getting kinda cool in his middle-age, couldn't stand him when younger. More roles like that Leo.

You watched the behind the scenes features yet? You might be surprised at how many of the effects are achieved in-camera and not cgi (or only enhanced by cgi).

J.R. 20th June 2011 06:46 PM

I recently enjoyed Strip Nude for Your Killer and Dead Kids (aka Strange Behaviour).

mercury 20th June 2011 08:39 PM

Watched District 13 last night. I quite enjoyed it. Didn't have as mich free running as I expected but, enough to satisfy.

oaxaca 20th June 2011 09:45 PM

Just watched the directors cut of DARK CITY. It was startling to watch, really visually spectacular and a great story too. Some sci-fi films (such as the matrix) leave me a little cold but this one had plenty of style, character and a great cast. Good to see Crystal Maze legend Richard O Brian on screen! The film itself was clearly inspired by things like Lang's METROPOLIS, film noir and the legendary anime film AKIRA :D

mercury 21st June 2011 12:15 PM

Saw Bram Strokers Dracula last nigh for the first time. I have to say that i was underwhelmed. It was ok, but had it not been for the lovely Winona Ryder, I probably wouldn't have watched it all:)

oaxaca 21st June 2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 159429)
Saw Bram Strokers Dracula last nigh for the first time. I have to say that i was underwhelmed. It was ok, but had it not been for the lovely Winona Ryder, I probably wouldn't have watched it all:)

I thought it was decent rendition of Dracula; it wasn't a sombre affair like Herzog's Nosferatu and quite tongue in cheek but managed to create a good atmosphere and was superbly directed by Coppola.

Vampix 21st June 2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 159098)
I've watched Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell. Very enjoyable experience indeed. A Hammer movie with a wink is typical for the 70s (just think of Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde). Cushing is great as usual and some of the dialogues are really nice. The final scene has quite a lot of gore - I wonder whether George A. Romero had seen this flick before shooting Dawn of the Dead. :lol:

And the last monologue of Cushing aka Frankenstein - pure genius!

My favourite Hammer horror, Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell is an excellent film which has been unfairly maligned over the years imo.It has everything a Hammer fan could want: Peter Cushing, atmosphere and buckets of Kensington gore.Unfortunately Dave Prowse's monster costume is a bit ropey but still fairly original.

PaulD 21st June 2011 03:36 PM

Just watched Spielberg's Duel. I hadn't see this for years and had forgotten how good it is to be honest. I think some of it could have been a bitmore tense but it's a genuinely brilliant piece of film-making for both a debut feature and for a made-for-tv movie.

Prince_Vajda 21st June 2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 159482)
Just watched Spielberg's Duel. I hadn't see this for years and had forgotten how good it is to be honest. I think some of it could have been a bitmore tense but it's a genuinely brilliant piece of film-making for both a debut feature and for a made-for-tv movie.

I also think that Duel is a masterpiece. So minimalist and yet so impressive. :nod:

I especially love the scene at Sally's Snakerama Gas Station. :lol:

Greetings!

platostotal 21st June 2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 159483)
I also think that Duel is a masterpiece. So minimalist and yet so impressive. :nod:

I especially love the scene at Sally's Snakerama Gas Station. :lol:

Greetings!

Here comes one of my 'old enough to...' posts. But yes, saw Duel when it first aired, I was 12 I think. Even though adverts kinda hurt it, U.S. tv is plauged with em, still thought it a true horror gem. Couldn't wait to tell friends at school about it.