Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

JoshuaKaitlyn 8th January 2016 08:47 PM

His daughter kidnapped, he has a particular set of skills. Guess the movie....nar your wrong, its Commando (1985). My first picture of 2016 and great fun even with Vernon Wells' bloody awful acting especially at the end.

iank 8th January 2016 08:54 PM

He always looks like he's about to burst into a rendition of "YMCA" to me. ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 09:30 PM

Meanwhile...in list heaven or hell in Bizarre_Eye's case.

The Thing (2011) - 38.

Very generous indeed. That's perhaps 30 more than i'd give it.

The Pyjama Girl Case
- 36/100. This was the very first giallo i ever saw. It was a Redemption video. Thank heavens i liked it more than you did or i'd possibly never have bothered with the genre. As it happens i rather like it. Sure it's a tad slow but i still think 36 is quite low. As for it not being better than The Thing remake. :faint:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 09:35 PM

Lucker - 47/100. I found that almost unwatchable. Plus the special edition dvd is bleedin' awful quality.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 473499)
The Thing (2011) - 38.

Very generous indeed. That's perhaps 30 more than i'd give it.

The Pyjama Girl Case
- 36/100. This was the very first giallo i ever saw. It was a Redemption video. Thank heavens i liked it more than you did or i'd possibly never have bothered with the genre. As it happens i rather like it. Sure it's a tad slow but i still think 36 is quite low. As for it not being better than The Thing remake. :faint:

The Pyjama Girl Case remains one of the worst gialli I've ever seen. Awful and extremely annoying soundtrack too.

As for The Thing remake, I'd put it off for years having heard how terrible it was and only caught it about a year or so ago (I think). Whilst it still wasn't very good it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd prepared myself for hence the perhaps more generous rating.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 473501)
Lucker - 47/100. I found that almost unwatchable. Plus the special edition dvd is bleedin' awful quality.

Ha, there was something endearingly strange about Lucker that I can't quite put my finger on. Despite owning it on DVD I've only seen it once and that must have been about 5 years ago now.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 473502)
The Pyjama Girl Case remains one of the worst gialli I've ever seen. Awful and extremely annoying soundtrack too.

As for The Thing remake, I'd put it off for years having heard how terrible it was and only caught it about a year or so ago (I think). Whilst it still wasn't very good it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd prepared myself for hence the perhaps more generous rating.

Your biggest crime so far is a measly 45/100 for Apocalypse Now. Words are starting to fail me. It's a magnificent film.

Clearly not as good as The Demons of Ludlow 46/100, but what is? ;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 473504)
Your biggest crime so far is a measly 45/100 for Apocalypse Now. Words are starting to fail me. It's a magnificent film.

Clearly not as good as The Demons of Ludlow 46/100, but what is? ;)

Ah, you can read all about my disdain for Apocalypse Now in the Classic Films You Love to Hate thread. :nod:

In Ludlow's defense it has a glowing disembodied demon hand - can Apocalypse Now say the same? ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 09:48 PM

Bad Moon with a very average 50/100.

I think that's a bit of an unknown gem and rate it higher than more popular werewolf films like The Howling. Still at least you preferred it to VHS - 44/100.

Legally Blonde - a measly 46/100. It's a great comedy.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 473505)
In Ludlow's defense it has a glowing disembodied demon hand - can Apocalypse Now say the same? ;)

It has Brando...fairly similar i feel.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 473506)
Bad Moon with a very average 50/100.

I think that's a bit of an unknown gem and rate it higher than more popular werewolf films like The Howling. Still at least you preferred it to VHS - 44/100.

Legally Blonde - a measly 46/100. It's a great comedy.

Yeah, I was quite disappointed by Bad Moon. It had a strong opening but from then on it just seemed to fall apart. Too much mindless chat not enough lycanthrope action.

I may need to give Legally Blonde another watch at some point, although you probably know my spiel by heart now in terms of myself and comedy films and what's generally considered a 'good' or 'funny' comedy film isn't necessarily what my brain enjoys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 473507)
It has Brando...fairly similar i feel.

:lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 10:12 PM

Bloodsuckers - 53/100.

That is generous. Despite it having a decent cast including Peter Cushing it really is dull.

The Craft - 53/100 as well. Be off with you! It's a good job i have no respect for your film choices or it would have gone by now. ;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 473511)
Bloodsuckers - 53/100.

That is generous. Despite it having a decent cast including Peter Cushing it really is dull.

The Craft - 53/100 as well. Be off with you! It's a good job i have no respect for your film choices or it would have gone by now. ;)

Cushing is largely responsible for the '53' average rating of Bloodsuckers to be honest. Like you say, it is quite dull.

I know you're a big fan of The Craft and I think we've crossed paths in regards to it before, but I'm not a big fan. It's watchable and that's about it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 10:30 PM

Land of the Dead - 54/100. Jesus wept!

Admittedly it's a fave of mine and i'd give it a far higher score than it probably deserves - 88/100 say, but 54 is very low in my opinion.

FFS! I've just noticed you gave it the same score as The Lost Boys. :mad2:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 473514)

Admittedly it's a fave of mine and i'd give it a far higher score than it probably deserves - 88/100 say, but 54 is very low in my opinion.

Wolfen gets the same score as The Lost Boys.

This is just too much to take. :computerfix:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 473514)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I really didn't care much Land of the Dead... I actually preferred Diary.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 473515)
Wolfen gets the same score as The Lost Boys too.

This is just too much to take. :computerfix:

Wolfen is another I've never been a huge fan of. However, it is one I plan on re-watching in the near future so maybe the rating will shift.

Just think... from here on out everything is higher than The Lost Boys! :happy:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 473516)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I really didn't care much Land of the Dead... I actually preferred Diary.

I also notice Hallucinations of a Deranged Mind gets the same score as well.

Is that the film or just you?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 473518)
I also notice Hallucinations of a Deranged Mind gets the same score as well.

Is that the film or just you?

Potentially both... :madgrin:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 473517)

I think i'll turn the Inspector on you now.

Blood of Ghastly Horror - 4/100

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 473517)

You're a sick individual! :tongue1:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 473521)
I think i'll turn the Inspector on you now.

Blood of Ghastly Horror - 4/100

A fairly generous score I'd say ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 473523)
A fairly generous score I'd say ;)

And a whole 12 points less than 50 Shades of Grey. :cool:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 10:46 PM

Wax Mask - 64/100.

Not bad but one that improves with each watch i think.

Blow Up with 64/100 is surprisingly low. Obviously 64 isn't a bad score but i'd have expected higher.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 473525)
Wax Mask - 64/100.

Not bad but one that improves with each watch i think.

Blow Up with 64/100 is surprisingly low. Obviously 64 isn't a bad score but i'd have expected higher.

Wax Mask is a lot of fun - I was surprised at how much I liked it.

Conversely, I was disappointed by Blow Up. I really wanted to love it but it wasn't nearly as good as I thought it would be.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 10:48 PM

Under the Skin - 65/100.

Loved this when i first saw it then thought it was pretentious bollocks the second time and got rid of the dvd. I don't regret it.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 473527)
Under the Skin - 65/100.

Loved this when i first saw it then thought it was pretentious bollocks the second time and got rid of the dvd. I don't regret it.

Admit it: your initial judgement was clouded by nekkid Scarlett! ;)

My thoughts on this one:

"Under the Skin is a film where I’d convinced myself going in that I’d end up liking it more than I actually did.

A minimalistically stylish experience which plays to my love of the strangely under-stated, yet mixed feelings congeal together as that familiar pang of connectivity is coupled with a slightly stale after taste, all the while leaving your mind wandering in a chasm like void.

A generous 7 out of 10."

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 473528)
Admit it: your initial judgement was clouded by nekkid Scarlett! ;)

My thoughts on this one:

"Under the Skin is a film where I’d convinced myself going in that I’d end up liking it more than I actually did.

A minimalistically stylish experience which plays to my love of the strangely under-stated, yet mixed feelings congeal together as that familiar pang of connectivity is coupled with a slightly stale after taste, all the while leaving your mind wandering in a chasm like void.

A generous 7 out of 10."

It's getting tough to complain at your scores now i'm in the high sixties. i suppose i'm just looking for those i think are marked far too high.

And i haven't come across any...hang on Zardoz - 67/100. I hate that film. :D

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 11:00 PM

A 93/100 for Labyrinth. :shocked:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 11:03 PM

The Lair of the White Worm - 86/100

All is forgiven. Redemption is yours. :glitter:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 473530)
It's getting tough to complain at your scores now i'm in the high sixties. i suppose i'm just looking for those i think are marked far too high.

And i haven't come across any...hang on Zardoz - 67/100. I hate that film. :D

I'm sure you'll find a few. ;)

Really? It's an oddity for sure but I can't see how you can hate a film where Sean Connery wears both an orange nappy and a wedding dress!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 473535)
A 93/100 for Labyrinth. :shocked:

Labyrinth is fantastic! One of my childhood favourites.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 473537)
The Lair of the White Worm - 86/100

All is forgiven. Redemption is yours. :glitter:

:woot:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th January 2016 07:39 AM

Get a room, you two!

This might need a separate thread if it continues any longer!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th January 2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 473549)
Get a room, you two!

This might need a separate thread if it continues any longer!

Spoilsport! :tongue1:

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th January 2016 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 473561)
Spoilsport! :tongue1:

Yeah! Discussing films on a film forum...whatever next! ;)

The forum wasn't exactly flooding with posts at the time either. :tongue1: :D

Buboven 9th January 2016 03:47 PM

Cool Hand Luke (1968)

9/10

J Harker 9th January 2016 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 473381)
Yes.

Although it's incomplete - many a film missing due to wanting to re-watch before I rate, and also there are a fair few missing from their database which I can't rate. :(

This is generally the primary resource I use to do my 'top' lists as you can filter/sort on all manner of things making it extremely easy to cater for Nordy's 'Top Ten Tuesday' lists for instance. ;)

Excuse the late drunken welshman B-Eye, but this list...am i to understand that Avatar has 9 out of a possible 100? That you consider such...'classics'..ahem as The Waterboy, Four Weddings and a Funeral or Batman and Robin to be better films?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th January 2016 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 473613)
Excuse the late drunken welshman B-Eye, but this list...am i to understand that Avatar has 9 out of a possible 100? That you consider such...'classics'..ahem as The Waterboy, Four Weddings and a Funeral or Batman and Robin to be better films?

You are indeed correct, Mr. Harker!

Avatar is nothing more than a shallow, unoriginal, empty shell of a film that is the epitome of style over substance. I'd rather watch Batman and Robin back-to-back for a week than have to endure Avatar again.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th January 2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 473615)
You are indeed correct, Mr. Harker!

Avatar is nothing more than a shallow, unoriginal, empty shell of a film that is the epitome of style over substance. I'd rather watch Batman and Robin back-to-back for a week than have to endure Avatar again.

Some of it looks beautiful, so I imagine some scenes on repeat with a CD playing would be quite relaxing or entertaining. The story, as pointed out so brilliantly in South Park, is just a combination of The Smurfs, Dances with Wolves, and Pocahontas.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th January 2016 05:40 PM

I've yet to see Avatar. I bought it with shopping the day it came out for £5.

I may never watch it. :nudge:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th January 2016 06:42 PM

Zardoz (1974)

http://skyfall.a.ltrbxd.com/resized/...g?k=e422383aa7

https://45.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l...pg90o1_500.gif

67/100