Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

J Harker 23rd May 2016 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 491135)
I went there a couple of times as a child holidaying in Normandy and that story always stuck with me.

Perhaps the scene which I remember most from The Longest Day is when the soldiers communicate with 'clickers' and one loss GI thinks he has found another GI when someone answers from the other side of the hedge. I won't say any more in case someone hasn't seen the film and doesn't want this scene spoiled.

Yes!! I've been thinking only an hour or ago i forgot to mention that scene. Funny enough i can't stop thinking about the film.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 491136)
It happened in real life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sainte-Mère-Église

Yes, that is a great sequence. Very memorable. The clickers sound just like ....

I think i'll watch The Longest Day again soon. These posts are getting me in the mood for it. Besides the 6th of June isn't a long way off.

I think i might try watching it again soon too. As much of a history lesson as anything. According to IMDB trivia (taken with a pinch of salt) Eisenhower walked out of the film after 15mins or so because he was frustrated with the inaccuracies. Also surprising how many actors in the film were actually involved in D-Day in real life. One of the actors abseiling up the cliff in the grappling hook scenes had actually done exactly that for real on D-Day.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd May 2016 06:24 PM

The weekend's viewings:

Orgy of the Dead (1965)

https://49.media.tumblr.com/3a518a18...qx8xo1_500.gif

29/100

Sans Soleil (1983)

http://66.media.tumblr.com/38a8933df...y4o9o1_500.jpg

76/100

Johnny Got his Gun (1971)

http://45.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv...2o1_r1_500.gif

74/100

Kill the Fatted Calf and Roast It (Uccidete il Vitello Grasso e Arrostitelo) (1970)

https://41.media.tumblr.com/86c95cec...hykvo1_500.jpg

60/100

Night of Violence (Le notti della violenza) (1965)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wLWxGuNKGD...ce1965vhsk.jpg

55/100

davidmurphy.dm19 24th May 2016 07:55 PM

Sleepaway Camp II and Bride of Re-Animator. SC from 88 Films looked good, movie wasn't too bad. Pretty gory I thought. Bride, from Arrow, looked great, and while not as good a movie as Stuart Gordon's original classic; Brian Yuzna's directorial efforts shine through for the most part. Bride is a good movie and a worthy sequel.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

J Harker 25th May 2016 10:32 AM

Took my boy to see The Angry Birds Movie on the weekend. It was surprisingly good. Probably one of the best video game adaptations ive seen even if it is animation.

Demoncrat 25th May 2016 12:55 PM

Crazy Six (1997, Albert Pyun)
Hey Banshee fans, wanna see a younger Ivana Milicevic? Otherwise avoid this turgid, drawn out bummer of a film. The Rob Lowe is in it. And Ice T. Seriously, it's not very good. like one of Frankie's films :peep:, but with "name" actors :lol:

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (1972, Bob Clark)
Is it me, or does it now look like a more coherent Andy Milligan film?

The Wanderers (Philip Kaufman, 1979)
A film that I watched a lot by osmosis really, as twas either this, How Sleep the Brave or Inside Seka that people all seemed to have in the hazy, grainy VHS days. Whilst more of a drama than memory served, I still enjoyed this love letter to the 60s from PK. He certainly chucks it in there, Kennedy, Dylan, women's/civil rights all get a mention.

Child 44 (2015, Daniel Espinosa)
Sprawling 50s set Russian thriller (based on a novel). Tom Hardy and Gary Oldman trade accentz, but all in all tis worth a looksee.

The Haunted Palace (1963, Roger Corman)
Tried to ignore the 5 words of HPL in the script, and watch it as a film in its own right. Still a block here, as tis neither as good as House Of Usher or as thrilling. Meh.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th May 2016 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Night of the Generals (1967)

Part giallo style murder mystery part adaptation of the events of Operation Valkyrie. This star studded mystery is an original war drama. Set in Poland and Paris, the bulk of the film concentrates on sadistic German General Tanz, played by a brilliant Peter O' Toole, a general who simply destroys whole neighbourhoods of Warsaw with his Panzer division when the resistance takes a pot shot at him on a city tour. He's one of three generals who can't reveal their whereabouts when a general was identified, or at least his trouser legs were, when a prostitute was brutally murdered. Omar Sharif's Major Grau investigates the murder as the girl was a German spy and vital to stopping the Polish resistance.

The Night of the Generals is a different sort of war film. There's no action barring Tanz's destruction of a Polish street. All the way through it has a vibe of decadence similar in ways to Cabaret(1972) and i'm sure it influenced the Eurocine films of the late 70's such as Fraulein Devil and Special Train for Hitler. It's this decadence, the feeling that the Germans can get away with anything that dominates the film making the whole thing quite seedy. O'Toole's seemingly detached from reality performance just adds to the grime.

The film has a terrific cast. Along with the aforementioned O'Toole and Sharif there's Charles Gray, Donald Pleasence, Christopher Plummer, Gordon Jackson, and Joanna Pettet among a cast of familiar faces from British film. As the plot unfolds and it transpires that two of the generals are involved in Valkyrie - the plot to kill Hitler as the Allies moved into Germany - then this takes centre stage over the giallo procedural aspects of tracking down the killer.

At two hours eighteen minutes the film is a touch too long. A good twenty minutes could easily have been shaved off and no one would notice, but on the whole The Night of the Generals is a nice blend of genres and an excellent piece of cinema.

Ranarchy 26th May 2016 05:43 PM

Straight out of Compton: I liked it, but boy, it depicts Dr. Dre as being too goody goody. Like the other guys are spot on. Dr. Dre comes off as virtuous as Charlie from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

trebor8273 26th May 2016 08:40 PM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...71de07666f.jpg

6.7/10

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...fa1bb538d5.jpg

6.3/10

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...aa769ff469.jpg

8.8/10

trebor8273 27th May 2016 08:36 PM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...8368ef4832.jpg

9/10

iank 27th May 2016 09:11 PM

The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear. It's nowhere near the same league as the original (one of the greatest comedy movies of all time) but it's still good for a laugh. :nod:

Nordicdusk 27th May 2016 11:22 PM

Blastfighter

Hell yeah this was the best laugh I have had with a film in ages. The film itself it pretty good but the dubbing is horrendous I was laughing the whole way through my favourite part was at the start

Get off this hill the buck is ours

Finish it off it's suffering

We want it alive now F*#! AWWWWFFFF

:lol:

If you don't own this do yourself a favour and pick it up it's a fun time and 88 did a really good job from the trailer I watched they really cleaned it up a ton some parts of the trailer looked like they were shot at night but the blu ray they were actual daylight scenes.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th May 2016 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 491804)
Blastfighter

Hell yeah this was the best laugh I have had with a film in ages. The film itself it pretty good but the dubbing is horrendous I was laughing the whole way through my favourite part was at the start

Get off this hill the buck is ours

Finish it off it's suffering

We want it alive now F*#! AWWWWFFFF

:lol:

If you don't own this do yourself a favour and pick it up it's a fun time and 88 did a really good job from the trailer I watched they really cleaned it up a ton some parts of the trailer looked like they were shot at night but the blu ray they were actual daylight scenes.

Got to admit i don't fancy paying a tenner for awful dubbing and laughing throughout at something that's not intended. It was one i had in my wishlist but i'm now considering removing it.

Nordicdusk 28th May 2016 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 491805)
Got to admit i don't fancy paying a tenner for awful dubbing and laughing throughout at something that's not intended. It was one i had in my wishlist but i'm now considering removing it.

It's entertaining but some things they say are so random and pointless even out of context of the conversation taking place at the time.

J Harker 28th May 2016 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 491805)

I really enjoyed Blastfighter. Didn't find the dubbing that bad, usual Italian quirkiness. Certainly not as daft as say Bronx Warriors.

Frankie Teardrop 28th May 2016 05:07 PM

Not much film / review action lately due to laptop malfunction. Still, I offer these meagre scrapings -

PARTS – THE CLONUS HORROR – Some all American teens haven't clocked that they're actually clones sequestered away on a sports-oriented body parts farm. Will one of them go 'Logan's Run' and bring home the truth? 'Parts' feels creakily late seventies, but actually does a good job of being rather bleak and claustrophobic for at least half its run time. This all changes when the hero guy breaks out and hits the wider world, whereupon 'Parts' just becomes another seventies sci-fi chase thriller, with some pretty preposterous characterisations and turns of event at that. It really does run out of steam, and that's disappointing given its initial promise, but 'Parts' is still definitely worth catching for that US conspiracy age downer vibe.

TEETH – High schooler has problem – not only is she an ideological virgin, but she suffers from the first confirmed case of Vagina Dentata in living memory. We follow her as she blossoms into an uneasy adulthood, punishing various sleazeballs along the way with gnashers that spit out dicks. I hadn't seen 'Teeth' in ages – it still stands up as a great idea, and is executed well, although the tone is more in tune with adolescence-focussed indie satire of a certain era (around the time of Ghostworld and Virgin Suicides et al) than it is with the body horror of Cronenberg et al. Despite this, it is surprisingly graphic in places, and doesn't skimp on cock chewing and its immediate aftermath. Maybe a little bit too arch for my liking, but plaudits for not just being another B-horror trading on an interesting theme. Dug that gyny surgeon, rummaging on the floor for his severed fingers - “It's true! Vagina Dentata! Vagina Dentata!”

THE TENANT – Anyone cast adrift and alone in the big city might identify with the protagonist of Roland Topor's novel, a study in alienation and absurdity wonderfully realised on celluloid by Roland Polanski here. Polanski himself plays Trelkovsky, a diffident young man who takes on an apartment which belonged to a woman who killed herself. He becomes convinced that those around him, especially the creepy residents of his tenement building, are trying to erode his identity and replace it with that of the previous tenant. His life becomes the kind of paranoid self fulfilling prophecy we're all too familiar with on the outer fringes of Leeds city centre. 'The Tenant' really captures the dumb belligerence / narcissism of urban life, and you can see here a heightened, skewed version of what goes on in every suburb and on every high street – a cold, malevolent public encroaching on you, the noble, sensitive victim. It's all an illusion, but it's the way everybody thinks, the moment they get pissed off with a shop assistant or a slightly surly bus driver. Chill guys, watch 'The Tenant' or take a load of e or something, it'll all work out in the end – look at what happened to Jesus.

RED LIGHTS – Excellent French thriller which sees a disenchanted middle aged married dude go on a voyage over to the darkside when he's separated from his wife on a cross-country drive. He drinks a bit too much booze and ends up tangling with a mysterious criminal, and, needless to say, it doesn't go well. I really liked 'Red Lights', a film which, despite some neo-noirish shadings, must lie a thousand miles away from the fifties American novel it's based on. A cool atmosphere of detached foreboding dominates 'Red lights', and makes long sequences of little apparent incident seem captivating. An ostensibly 'happy' ending doesn't do much to dispel the shadowy doubts that surround the main character, and what he might or might not have done.

TULPA – A latter day Giallo homage which is pretty successful in that it manages to combine stylishness, sexiness, weirdness and violence together with a heavy dose of tedium. Yep, boredom, the mainstay of the seventies Giallo (sorry, I'm not a massive fan of those movies by and large), is quite in evidence here, although it doesn't entirely ruin things as a few choice scenes such as a really dumb looking carousel murder weigh against the trudge factor and make sticking around for the silly and underwhelming finale kind of worth it. The plot is something I can't quite be bothered to explain, but it's basically about a kinky high powered business executive and her subterranean exploits in a sex club, which all ties in with a trenchcoat-wearing killer and aspects of Tibetan Buddhism. Which sounds like the makings of something really great now I think about it, but I guess the magic just wasn't there this time. However, have earmarked it for a rewatch when in a more forgiving mood.

davidmurphy.dm19 28th May 2016 05:41 PM

Silent Running from 1972 and starring Bruce Dern. No classic, but watchable. I love a bit of sci-fi every now and again and SR filled that gap for ninety plus minutes.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th May 2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 491845)

RED LIGHTS – Excellent French thriller which sees a disenchanted middle aged married dude go on a voyage over to the darkside when he's separated from his wife on a cross-country drive. He drinks a bit too much booze and ends up tangling with a mysterious criminal, and, needless to say, it doesn't go well. I really liked 'Red Lights', a film which, despite some neo-noirish shadings, must lie a thousand miles away from the fifties American novel it's based on. A cool atmosphere of detached foreboding dominates 'Red lights', and makes long sequences of little apparent incident seem captivating. An ostensibly 'happy' ending doesn't do much to dispel the shadowy doubts that surround the main character, and what he might or might not have done.

It's ages since i watched Red Lights. I got it when i was in my French craze ten years plus back now. Former Bond girl Carole Bouquet plays the wife if i recall. It is really good i remember. I'll have to watch it again now.

tele1962 28th May 2016 06:45 PM

Burial Ground 88 Films.

While I did enjoy this one it was I felt not really a classic. PQ was generally very good but 88 need to get their encoding sorted out, especially with the new scans they are planning.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th May 2016 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 491851)
Burial Ground 88 Films.

While I did enjoy this one it was I felt not really a classic. PQ was generally very good but 88 need to get their encoding sorted out, especially with the new scans they are planning.

No idea what you are talking about here. :confused: :lol:

tele1962 28th May 2016 07:14 PM

Put it this way Dem, they still look pretty good..........just me being picky.:headache:

iank 28th May 2016 09:47 PM

Commando. Not one of my favourite Arnie's but it's knockabout fun. I still find it impossible to take the lead villain at all seriously, he looks like he's just stepped out of a YMCA video...:woot:

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th May 2016 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 491854)
Put it this way Dem, they still look pretty good..........just me being picky.:headache:

I was hoping you'd explain what you meant. The tech stuff tends to go over my head at times.

J Harker 28th May 2016 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 491866)
I was hoping you'd explain what you meant. The tech stuff tends to go over my head at times.

He means the picture quality isn't as good as he'd like. [emoji4]

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th May 2016 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 491899)
He means the picture quality isn't as good as he'd like. [emoji4]

You know, dumb as i am, i kinda' figured that. ;)

J Harker 28th May 2016 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 491900)
You know, dumb as i am, i kinda' figured that. ;)

Yeah, i know...[emoji38]

tele1962 29th May 2016 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 491866)

Basically the way the picture or data fits into the Blu Ray, the compression. If not done properly it can cause artefacts, such as macro blocking, contrast being off, grain not rendered properly, softness to the picture etc.

All About Why Blu-ray Is Still Better Than Streaming Today

gag 29th May 2016 11:05 AM

Snowtown

So many things i could say about his film i don't know where to start,
But first thing ill say is give me films like this over a good 80/90 of films today.
its based on a true story of people who committed crimes and murders against mainly peodophiles one of those films that prove you dont need violence/action/gore/big bucks/ cgi/actors/and any other malarkey that most films that get made these days think you need especialy the Hollywood Blockbuster films.
The film is made plain and simple with very little going on, its tells the story of a mother and her children get into the wrong crowd of peodophile haters and killers, the film is more based on people feelings, emotions, and how most people feel against scum of society like peodophiles, except they dont talk about it they do it, what you see in the film is very little its more about the imagination of whats going on and what you dont see. But what you do see it kept to a bare minimum,
The film is potraid and made extremely well and made to pull you in and give the film a grim and disturbing feel to it, and doesnt let go.
The music score is also fantastic and help the tonne of the film give it that disturbing feel to it and how music can play a big part in the film if the score right and not just some random song or record playing in the background from a artist who had lots of hits in the charts,
Overall i give the film 9 out of 10 only thing that stops me from giving it a 10 is i would like to have known about how they got round to getting found out and caught, the write up at the end mainly tells you what police discovered and what they got sentenced for their parts in the killings.
If you havent seen the film then dig it out you wont regret it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th May 2016 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Penda's Fen (1974)

Centering around the adolescence of a boy named Stephen as he approaches his 18th birthday, Penda's Fen is a wonderful exploration of growing up, English tradition, art, sexuality, and loads of other things all to the magnificence of England's greatest composer, Sir Edward Elgar.

Directed by Alan Clarke and written by David Rudkin, this is a quite enthralling television film full of weirdness, quite a bit of which i didn't fully understand on first viewing. It's subject matter is controversial and i can appreciate why it is largely unknown but loved by those who have seen it.

Penda's Fen appears at first glance to be a host of unrelated vignettes as a boy turns into an adult and as such could almost be dipped in and out of, but it's the merging of pagan tradition and old England which grabbed me with it's stunning imagery such as the angel and King Penda on the hill, however none are as visually stimulating as the winged gargoyle perched on Stephen's bed one night. Admittedly, it's a sequence poached directly from Fuseli's The Nightmare painting but it's memorable and so highly effective as to be the highlight of this drama.

Penda's Fen isn't all po-faced metaphysical ambiguity. Some scenes are laugh out loud funny. Witness Stephen discovering a man erecting a road closure sign with a miss spelling of Pinvin. (Penda's Fen was the place name originally but the name morphed over the centuries into Pinvin).

Odd, obscure, occasionally unfathomable, yet riveting throughout. Penda's Fen is one i'll be coming back to make no mistake.

J Harker 29th May 2016 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 491949)
Penda's Fen (1974)

Centering around the adolescence of a boy named Stephen as he approaches his 18th birthday, Penda's Fen is a wonderful exploration of growing up, English tradition, art, sexuality, and loads of other things all to the magnificence of England's greatest composer, Sir Edward Elgar.

Directed by Alan Clarke and written by David Rudkin, this is a quite enthralling television film full of weirdness, quite a bit of which i didn't fully understand on first viewing. It's subject matter is controversial and i can appreciate why it is largely unknown but loved by those who have seen it.

Penda's Fen appears at first glance to be a host of unrelated vignettes as a boy turns into an adult and as such could almost be dipped in and out of, but it's the merging of pagan tradition and old England which grabbed me with it's stunning imagery such as the angel and King Penda on the hill, however none are as visually stimulating as the winged gargoyle perched on Stephen's bed one night. Admittedly, it's a sequence poached directly from Fuseli's The Nightmare painting but it's memorable and so highly effective as to be the highlight of this drama.

Penda's Fen isn't all po-faced metaphysical ambiguity. Some scenes are laugh out loud funny. Witness Stephen discovering a man erecting a road closure sign with a miss spelling of Pinvin. (Penda's Fen was the place name originally but the name morphed over the centuries into Pinvin).

Odd, obscure, occasionally unfathomable, yet riveting throughout. Penda's Fen is one i'll be coming back to make no mistake.

While I'm definitely intrigued this one does sound like it could go either way for me.

Demoncrat 30th May 2016 11:18 AM

Quote:

Not much film / review action lately due to laptop malfunction. Still, I offer these meagre scrapings -

PARTS – THE CLONUS HORROR – Some all American teens haven't clocked that they're actually clones sequestered away on a sports-oriented body parts farm. Will one of them go 'Logan's Run' and bring home the truth? 'Parts' feels creakily late seventies, but actually does a good job of being rather bleak and claustrophobic for at least half its run time. This all changes when the hero guy breaks out and hits the wider world, whereupon 'Parts' just becomes another seventies sci-fi chase thriller, with some pretty preposterous characterisations and turns of event at that. It really does run out of steam, and that's disappointing given its initial promise, but 'Parts' is still definitely worth catching for that US conspiracy age downer vibe.

TEETH – High schooler has problem – not only is she an ideological virgin, but she suffers from the first confirmed case of Vagina Dentata in living memory. We follow her as she blossoms into an uneasy adulthood, punishing various sleazeballs along the way with gnashers that spit out dicks. I hadn't seen 'Teeth' in ages – it still stands up as a great idea, and is executed well, although the tone is more in tune with adolescence-focussed indie satire of a certain era (around the time of Ghostworld and Virgin Suicides et al) than it is with the body horror of Cronenberg et al. Despite this, it is surprisingly graphic in places, and doesn't skimp on cock chewing and its immediate aftermath. Maybe a little bit too arch for my liking, but plaudits for not just being another B-horror trading on an interesting theme. Dug that gyny surgeon, rummaging on the floor for his severed fingers - “It's true! Vagina Dentata! Vagina Dentata!”

THE TENANT – Anyone cast adrift and alone in the big city might identify with the protagonist of Roland Topor's novel, a study in alienation and absurdity wonderfully realised on celluloid by Roland Polanski here. Polanski himself plays Trelkovsky, a diffident young man who takes on an apartment which belonged to a woman who killed herself. He becomes convinced that those around him, especially the creepy residents of his tenement building, are trying to erode his identity and replace it with that of the previous tenant. His life becomes the kind of paranoid self fulfilling prophecy we're all too familiar with on the outer fringes of Leeds city centre. 'The Tenant' really captures the dumb belligerence / narcissism of urban life, and you can see here a heightened, skewed version of what goes on in every suburb and on every high street – a cold, malevolent public encroaching on you, the noble, sensitive victim. It's all an illusion, but it's the way everybody thinks, the moment they get pissed off with a shop assistant or a slightly surly bus driver. Chill guys, watch 'The Tenant' or take a load of e or something, it'll all work out in the end – look at what happened to Jesus.

TULPA – A latter day Giallo homage which is pretty successful in that it manages to combine stylishness, sexiness, weirdness and violence together with a heavy dose of tedium. Yep, boredom, the mainstay of the seventies Giallo (sorry, I'm not a massive fan of those movies by and large), is quite in evidence here, although it doesn't entirely ruin things as a few choice scenes such as a really dumb looking carousel murder weigh against the trudge factor and make sticking around for the silly and underwhelming finale kind of worth it. The plot is something I can't quite be bothered to explain, but it's basically about a kinky high powered business executive and her subterranean exploits in a sex club, which all ties in with a trenchcoat-wearing killer and aspects of Tibetan Buddhism. Which sounds like the makings of something really great now I think about it, but I guess the magic just wasn't there this time. However, have earmarked it for a rewatch when in a more forgiving mood.

Haven't seen this is ages. May have a dig later!!

Welcome To New York (2104, Abel Ferrara)
AB does it again. Whilst not as outright nasty as some of his other work, this had me gripped nonetheless. Sort of based on a real life event, I'm saying nothing else.

Back in Time
Very gushy (except for Dan Harmon haha) documentary about Back To The Future. Didn't make me want to see it again either.

Sponge Out Of Water (2015, Tibbit/Mitchell)
More of the same silliness, if you liked the first film etc. Banderas seems to be enjoying himself. And did I spot a gag about the Italian post apocalyptic genre? Rewatch!!

Was also going to watch the Taiwanese oddity The Wayward Cloud as well, but decided to finish off my latest Ligotti book instead. Tonight!!:pop2:

Inspector Abberline 30th May 2016 11:31 AM

Vigilante 1983

2 Attachment(s)
Vigilante 1983

William Lustig out vigilante's Michael Winner in this 1983 thriller about a normal average guy Eddie Marino (Robert Forster) whose wife and son our attacked by a gang of denim jacket wearing street toughs.Where as Death Wish Paul Kersey worked alone,Vigilante starts with a speech from Fred The Hammer Williamson,as he gives a Donald Trump like recruiting message about taking back the city
Quote:

"Hey, I don't know about you guys, but me... I've had it up to here. There are some 40-odd homicides a day on our streets."
of course this is the type of speech you might expect from say Magnum Force,and it taps right into that rhetoric from those previous Vigilante movie's from the 1970's. But because it comes from mighty frame of Fred Williamson and not some white middle class middle aged business man,Fred Williamson character Nick seemingly takes the morale high ground,although the reality is that his gang are just as violent and unsympathetic as the crooks they go after. Luckily for the film we have Robert Forster as Eddie Marino,not only does Forster have the indignity of seeing his sons killer get sent free from a prison sentence,but he himself then gets 30 days in prison for attacking the sentencing Judge Sinclair (Vincent Beck). Oh dear,as we all now know from prison movies,being a new white man in prison usually means one thing,yes you guessed it sodomy.Luckily good old Woody Strode as Rake saves Forster from a fate worse than death,as he manages to fight off his attackers in the shower. With his son now dead,and his wife no longer wanting to see him,it doesn't take long for Eddie Marino to join up with the vigilantes and seek his revenge.Lustig's Vigilante pulls no punches in the violence stakes,and offers no more solutions to what society is supposed to do about the threat of inner city violence,apart from buy some guns and get yourself a van.We are shown that the police are ineffective,mainly due to cost cuts and redundancy,the courts and judges are either corrupt or stupid and that lawyers are even more corrupt,as shown by the magnificent sleazy Joe Spinell as Eisenberg.Vigilante is one of Lustigs finest films,my only real complaint was that it seemed over to quickly as Forster only just seems to be getting started on his bloody road of vengeance.Also the main theme music by Jay Chattaway is awesome,its very reminiscent of a spaghetti western theme.

Demoncrat 30th May 2016 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 491949)
Penda's Fen (1974)

Sold!!

Demoncrat 30th May 2016 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 491979)
Vigilante 1983

William Lustig out vigilante's Michael Winner in this 1983 thriller about a normal average guy Eddie Marino (Robert Forster) whose wife and son our attacked by a gang of denim jacket wearing street toughs.Where as Death Wish Paul Kersey worked alone,Vigilante starts with a speech from Fred The Hammer Williamson,as he gives a Donald Trump like recruiting message about taking back the city of course this is the type of speech you might expect from say Magnum Force,and it taps right into that rhetoric from those previous Vigilante movie's from the 1970's. But because it comes from mighty frame of Fred Williamson and not some white middle class middle aged business man,Fred Williamson character Nick seemingly takes the morale high ground,although the reality is that his gang are just as violent and unsympathetic as the crooks they go after. Luckily for the film we have Robert Forster as Eddie Marino,not only does Forster have the indignity of seeing his sons killer get sent free from a prison sentence,but he himself then gets 30 days in prison for attacking the sentencing Judge Sinclair (Vincent Beck). Oh dear,as we all now know from prison movies,being a new white man in prison usually means one thing,yes you guessed it sodomy.Luckily good old Woody Strode as Rake saves Forster from a fate worse than death,as he manages to fight off his attackers in the shower. With his son now dead,and his wife no longer wanting to see him,it doesn't take long for Eddie Marino to join up with the vigilantes and seek his revenge.Lustig's Vigilante pulls no punches in the violence stakes,and offers no more solutions to what society is supposed to do about the threat of inner city violence,apart from buy some guns and get yourself a van.We are shown that the police are ineffective,mainly due to cost cuts and redundancy,the courts and judges are either corrupt or stupid and that lawyers are even more corrupt,as shown by the magnificent sleazy Joe Spinell as Eisenberg.Vigilante is one of Lustigs finest films,my only real complaint was that it seemed over to quickly as Forster only just seems to be getting started on his bloody road of vengeance.Also the main theme music by Jay Chattaway is awesome,its very reminiscent of a spaghetti western theme.

A film that I haven't seen in long enough. And I call myself a Hammer fan :rolleyes:
Rectify!!

J Harker 30th May 2016 12:02 PM

I'll try and write a review later but last night i watched Where Eagles Dare. Burton, Eastwood. What an awesome film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th May 2016 01:27 PM

Quote:

Michael Bay had a huge budget and A-list cast when remaking this as The Island, yet Parts: The Clonus Horror is still the better film.

gag 30th May 2016 08:35 PM

13 cameras

Reasonable well made film about a landlord who a weirdo and creep and spies on his tenants, and locks a female in the basement.
I reasonable enjoyed but a few minor things that kinds irritated,
They been living there a few week or so and his partner wanted something fixing and he presumed tools where in a cupboard he never been in and forced it open to realise its a cellar the landlord said he didnt have, now dont know about anyone else but id have searched every door, cupboard, nook and cranny when i move into a new house.
Anyway he was surprised there was a cellar but he never went in again and the landlord come round and fixed it while they where out, now if i had forced a door open and someone fixed it i be pretty dam sure would have noticed if i didnt ask anyone to.
And a few other daft minor gripes, anyhow apart from my gripes aside the film is worth a watch if you come across it but dont go hunting it down.

This is England

Only just got round to watching this now time to watch the tv series pretty soon
I think the film is as good as British film making going to get, it doesnt just potray life in Britain in early 80s during the hated thatchers reign and the falklands, it potrays it as it really was and as realistic as youre going to get, and showing all the different types of people, punks, mods, rockers, etc. But also showed the double edged side of racism where some wanted foreigners out while others what happy to let live, it didnt dumb life in Britian down but also didnt glamourise it either, and showed how two best friends can fall out and against each other without actualy hating each other because they both wanted different side of the fence of being racist, and the 12yr old was actually the most sensible one of them all but was drawn between both sides because he didnt want to fall out with anyone of them and was kind of piggy in the middle, but stuck up for himself if was pushed to far,
Personally i think its a masterpiece in its own rigbts

iank 30th May 2016 10:00 PM

Evolution. Two community college scientists stumble on a meteorite that carries with it an extraterrestrial microbe, which soon begins to evolve at an exponential rate into something that could destroy all other life on Earth! David Duchovny, Julianne Moore, Orlando Jones and Seann William Scott star in this entertaining early 2000s sci-fi comedy from the director of Ghostbusters. I haven't seen this flick for about 13 years and couldn't remember anything about it, but I really enjoyed it! It was cool to have Dan Aykroyd as the Governor of Arizona too.:nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th May 2016 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From Here to Eternity (1953)

A first time viewing experience for me. From Here to Eternity is one of those films which always has a mention when it comes to the golden age of Hollywood. Mainly the Burt Lancaster / Deborah Kerr kiss scene on the beach as the surf rushes over them. For such a classic scene i found it odd that it comes only half an hour into this near two hour film. My brain always told me it must be the climax, the final act of love. However it isn't so that's that idea scotched.

The film itself is set in the weeks leading up to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. It follows the life of the newly transferred Montgomery Clift into Sergeant Burt Lancaster's platoon and the hard time he gets from the unit's captain for refusing to box in an army tournament.

More melodrama than war film, in fact the attack comes only during the final ten minutes, From Here to Eternity is really about the lives of Lancaster, who has an affair with the captain's wife, Clift and Frank Sinatra, whose story ends tragically following a beating from the thuggish Ernest Borgnine. Although Lancaster and Kerr steal the Hollywood reels the film belongs to Montgomery Clift. His portrayal of the put upon Robert E. Lee Prewitt is superb. How he didn't win the best actor Oscar that year i'll never know, especially when the film dominated the awards and Sinatra and Donna Reed walked off with Best Supporting Actor statues. (How Reed beat Thelma Ritter's turn in Pick up on South Street that year...What were they thinking?)

Come the end it's obvious why From Here to Eternity is a classic film - it has classic performances by stars on top of their game - it really is so much more than just a snog in the surf.

Justin101 31st May 2016 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 492021)

This is England

Only just got round to watching this now time to watch the tv series pretty soon
I think the film is as good as British film making going to get, it doesnt just potray life in Britain in early 80s during the hated thatchers reign and the falklands, it potrays it as it really was and as realistic as youre going to get, and showing all the different types of people, punks, mods, rockers, etc. But also showed the double edged side of racism where some wanted foreigners out while others what happy to let live, it didnt dumb life in Britian down but also didnt glamourise it either, and showed how two best friends can fall out and against each other without actualy hating each other because they both wanted different side of the fence of being racist, and the 12yr old was actually the most sensible one of them all but was drawn between both sides because he didnt want to fall out with anyone of them and was kind of piggy in the middle, but stuck up for himself if was pushed to far,
Personally i think its a masterpiece in its own rigbts

You're going to enjoy the series, it doesn't lose any of it's quality at all and has some of the best acting you're going to see on TV.

Justin101 31st May 2016 02:56 PM

I went to watch X-Men yesterday as it was a Bank Holiday. Unfortunately it IS as bad as everyone has been saying. I can't put my finger on it, but there is bad CG, the script is bad (eye rolling bad at points) and some of the 'Oh aren't we clever' bits just made me cringe, such as Jean Grey and gang coming out of Return of the Jedi and saying "The third one is always the worst" and when Apocalypse was on the hunt for his 4 Horseman they had the Metallica song of the same name on the soundtrack.

Nightcrawler was pretty good though to be honest and I thought that the guy who played Scott Summers was decent as well, he had zero chemistry with Sophie Turner though, who was doing this odd attempt at an American accent but you could clearly hear her posh British accent behind everything she said.

Otherwise it was instantly forgettable and really didn't feel like a Bryan Singer movie at all.