Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th April 2016 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 487010)
Did you find it lacked focus or maybe needed tightening at times?

Yes, in some areas - although my main ethos was just to 'go with it' and treat it more as a visual and audial experience rather than a film... something that it didn't 100% quite succeed at either though.

Have you seen Refn's Only God Forgives? I feel that used similar aesthetics much more effectively.

Inspector Abberline 24th April 2016 01:47 PM

Ulzana's Raid (1972)

1 Attachment(s)
Ulzana's Raid (1972)

Directed by Robert Aldrich written by Alan Sharp,this is a western that tries to address the balance and show that it wasn't just the Apaches who could be brutal ,although by now Soldier Blue and Little Big Man had also covered this ground. That said the Apaches and JoaquÃ*n MartÃ*nez as Ulzana,and his war party are pretty damn mean bunch,and are portrayed as bloodthirsty savages who not only mutilate there enemies but in some case's cut out parts of there intestines and throw them about like they are playing beach volley ball. In fact any one who get in the way of Ulzana and his raiding party is in for a pretty sticky time,women are raped and the men usually mutilated and staked out on the ground,with one poor fella having his dead dogs tail stuffed in his gob for good measure. But its not all one sided,Aldrich shows us that the cavalry men sent out to capture Ulzana can be just as brutal,and are not adverse to mutilating the dead bodies of any Apache killed or shooting a woman rather than let her be caught by the Indians and raped. Although Aldrich is trying to redress the balance a bit, by showing that both sides can be just as brutal as each other,Westerns when dealing with Native Americans can not help themselves from being racist,and of course its always been in the best interests of American audiences to show that they are not the bad guys. Or is it an allegory for the Vietnam war? MEH At any rate its a interesting and violent tale ,with some great performances from Burt Lancaster as McIntosh the grizzled know it all tracker,Bruce Davison as Lt. Garnett DeBuin a virgin soldier who is given the job of tracking Ulzana and Jorge Luke as Ke-Ni-Tay ,McIntosh loyal scout. JoaquÃ*n MartÃ*nez as Ulzana has the thankless job of being the head baddie,there is very little in the way of characterisation for the Apache's,and we take it as red that they are just evil. Uk version has noticeable cuts for horse falls,but otherwise uncut for violence to humans.

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th April 2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 487014)
Yes, in some areas - although my main ethos was just to 'go with it' and treat it more as a visual and audial experience rather than a film... something that it didn't 100% quite succeed at either though.

Have you seen Refn's Only God Forgives? I feel that used similar aesthetics much more effectively.

Yes, i have. I really liked that after being underwhelmed by Drive and the dire Valhalla Rising.

Looking forward to The Neon Demon. He seems to have amped up the fetishistic aspect in that one.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th April 2016 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 487016)
Yes, i have. I really liked that after being underwhelmed by Drive and the dire Valhalla Rising.

Yeah, I loved Only God Forgives.

Soundtrack aside, I wasn't a massive fan of Drive either. I haven't seen Valhalla Rising. I'd highly recommend his Pusher films and Bleeder though if you haven't seen them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 487016)
Looking forward to The Neon Demon. He seems to have amped up the fetishistic aspect in that one.

Me too. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th April 2016 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 487015)
Ulzana's Raid (1972)

Directed by Robert Aldrich written by Alan Sharp,this is a western that tries to address the balance and show that it wasn't just the Apaches who could be brutal ,although by now Soldier Blue and Little Big Man had also covered this ground. That said the Apaches and JoaquÃ*n MartÃ*nez as Ulzana,and his war party are pretty damn mean bunch,and are portrayed as bloodthirsty savages who not only mutilate there enemies but in some case's cut out parts of there intestines and throw them about like they are playing beach volley ball. In fact any one who get in the way of Ulzana and his raiding party is in for a pretty sticky time,women are raped and the men usually mutilated and staked out on the ground,with one poor fella having his dead dogs tail stuffed in his gob for good measure. But its not all one sided,Aldrich shows us that the cavalry men sent out to capture Ulzana can be just as brutal,and are not adverse to mutilating the dead bodies of any Apache killed or shooting a woman rather than let her be caught by the Indians and raped. Although Aldrich is trying to redress the balance a bit, by showing that both sides can be just as brutal as each other,Westerns when dealing with Native Americans can not help themselves from being racist,and of course its always been in the best interests of American audiences to show that they are not the bad guys. Or is it an allegory for the Vietnam war? MEH At any rate its a interesting and violent tale ,with some great performances from Burt Lancaster as McIntosh the grizzled know it all tracker,Bruce Davison as Lt. Garnett DeBuin a virgin soldier who is given the job of tracking Ulzana and Jorge Luke as Ke-Ni-Tay ,McIntosh loyal scout. JoaquÃ*n MartÃ*nez as Ulzana has the thankless job of being the head baddie,there is very little in the way of characterisation for the Apache's,and we take it as red that they are just evil. Uk version has noticeable cuts for horse falls,but otherwise uncut for violence to humans.

I really like Ulzana's Raid, Inspector. It's actually refreshing to see Indians in a western. They really aren't in that many you know. I have around 150 of them, westerns not Indians, and i bet they don't even feature in a quarter of them.

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th April 2016 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Army of Frankensteins. (2013)

For a film with an IMDB score of just 2.8 i found Army of Frankensteins wildly entertaining.

The film is imaginative beyond belief with crazy ambitions that could never be achieved on such a low budget production. What starts out in a supermarket with a lad attempting and failing to propose to a girl ends with the theatre assassination of Abraham Lincoln. With huge nods to Back to the Future and populated by charming and not so charming characters along the way, what other film gives you the chance to see Karloff like Frankenstein monsters wading into Confederate soldiers on the battlefield? Not to mention hot air balloons and Army of Darkness Ash types complete with arm cannons?

Hindered only by lack of funds, Army of Frankensteins was a refreshing change from the norm in the rancid world of indie-horror.

Prince_Vajda 24th April 2016 03:34 PM

I seriously can't remember when I last watched a film...

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th April 2016 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 487037)
I seriously can't remember when I last watched a film...

Whats stopping you? You could watch something now?

Prince_Vajda 24th April 2016 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 487039)
Whats stopping you? You could watch something now?

I can't concentrate. New films, personal favourites, trash grenades... I've tried almost everything. 20 to 30 minutes into the film, I'm already opting out.

nosferatu42 24th April 2016 04:24 PM

I get like that sometimes, :rolleyes: maybe a tv show or a game.
I often find games better if i'm in that mood, something quick and simple that takes your mind off everything.:pop2:
:rambo:

Prince_Vajda 24th April 2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 487036)

For a film with an IMDB score of just 2.8 i found Army of Frankensteins wildly entertaining.

BloodRayne has a score of 2.9, and I once very much liked it. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th April 2016 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 487044)
BloodRayne has a score of 2.9, and I once very much liked it. :nod:

Me too. :nod:

Susan Foreman 24th April 2016 06:35 PM

For a film that is supposedly being made by students, the opening sequence of 'Urban Legends 2: Final Cut' is totally unbelievable

There is no way a student would have access to that kind of set and special effects, and as for the size of the cast and crew...

When I was studying film making at university, we had a cast and crew of six people, and our budget stretched to a couple of packets of Smarties (which were essential to the plot)

As for the rest of 'Urban Legends 2', it was rubbish

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th April 2016 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 487036)

A film can certainly be entertaining but not very good though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 487043)
I get like that sometimes, :rolleyes: maybe a tv show or a game.
I often find games better if i'm in that mood, something quick and simple that takes your mind off everything.:pop2:
:rambo:

Pffft... you actually have to do stuff whilst playing games though. :tongue1: ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th April 2016 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sapphire (1959)

Brit stalwarts Nigel Patrick and Michael Craig are investigating the murder of a beautiful young woman whose body was found brutally stabbed on Hampstead Heath. As the investigation deepens it turns out the girl in question, Sapphire, was leading a double life as her light coloured skin allowed her to pass as being white when in fact she was black.

BAFTA winning film Sapphire is a triumph of British film making. Not only is it a gripping crime thriller it's also a journey into another time, another time which seems not quaint as most British films of the time are, not quaint, just wrong. As much as anything the film is an examination of racial prejudice and comes over as hard hitting and thought provoking. The racist attitudes from more or less everyone in the film except Nigel Patrick are a sad sign of the climate of 50's Britain following the first wave of commonwealth immigrants to these shores. It's not just the white community who hold prejudices, the black's encountered have no trust in British justice and openly allow their hatred out during the police manhunt. However at the heart of the matter is a story of how racial prejudice tears one seemingly loving family apart, even to the point of murder.

Sapphire also shines behind the camera. The script is tight and the dialogue well written. The location work is also excellent showcasing a London slowly rebuilding itself following the second World War, slowly rebuilding but still socially rotten in places.

Sapphire is highly recommended.

iank 24th April 2016 10:06 PM

Sleepwalkers. Truly terrible early 90s Stephen King horror. Alice Krige appears to be acting in something else entirely, and is the only cast member to emerge with any credit, and while it starts off not too bad when it gets to the scene in the graveyard it becomes absolutely laugh out loud, hilariously bad. The bit where the cat attacks the guy's face and he's clawing at it reminded me of Leslie Nielsen doing the same with a towel in The Naked Gun and was about as ridiculous. :pound:
After that hilarity I turned it off and watched something intentionally funny instead, I.e Blackadder.;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th April 2016 10:07 PM

Sapphire is the final film i watched from Strawberry Media's Crime film box set.

The other films in the set are The Informers, Turn the Key Softly and Checkpoint. I've now reviewed them all on here and can thoroughly recommend all of them.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....qL%2BkdfJL.jpg

J Harker 24th April 2016 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 487068)
Sleepwalkers. Truly terrible early 90s Stephen King horror. Alice Krige appears to be acting in something else entirely, and is the only cast member to emerge with any credit, and while it starts off not too bad when it gets to the scene in the graveyard it becomes absolutely laugh out loud, hilariously bad. The bit where the cat attacks the guy's face and he's clawing at it reminded me of Leslie Nielsen doing the same with a towel in The Naked Gun and was about as ridiculous. [emoji14]ound:
After that hilarity I turned it off and watched something intentionally funny instead, I.e Blackadder.;)

I've not seen it but i always thought Sleepwalkers was meant to be one of the best Stephen King movies.

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th April 2016 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 487072)
I've not seen it but i always thought Sleepwalkers was meant to be one of the best Stephen King movies.

I like it if that means anything. :nod:

J Harker 24th April 2016 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 487076)
I like it if that means anything. :nod:

Hit and miss with you Dem. [emoji6]

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th April 2016 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 487078)
Hit and miss with you Dem. [emoji6]

Very true. :nod:

J Harker 24th April 2016 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 487079)
Very true. :nod:

[emoji106]

J Harker 24th April 2016 10:46 PM

That said we seem to like a few of the same flicks.

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th April 2016 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 487081)
That said we seem to like a few of the same flicks.

:D

J Harker 24th April 2016 10:51 PM

Must be to do with...
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...68ae3631d9.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th April 2016 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 487083)

You and your half bottles. :lol:

J Harker 24th April 2016 11:07 PM

Nowt wrong with half bottles. S'long as you buy two.

keirarts 25th April 2016 07:09 AM

The Dead Zone

Christopher Walken plays Johnny, a teacher who wakes up after a five year Coma to discover he has the power of second sight. The power is more of a curse and he becomes a recluse before being roped in to assisting in catching a serial killer haunting Castle Rock. Then he shakes the hand of presidential candidate Gregg Stillson and has a terrifying vision of the future.
Dead zone is one of those rare occurrences of a film that actually improves upon the book. I remember reading an interview with Cronenberg where he mentions the first script written by King himself played more like a slasher film with the focus on Johnny hunting Dodds. To his credit Cronenberg discarded that idea and focused more on the human drama with a stunning central performance from Christopher Walken who really delivers a nuanced performance as the gentle school teacher who seems to be constantly on the receiving end of bad luck. The film fits well into the filmography of early Cronenberg as while there are no gloopy effects in place the film does focus on the human body undergoing a significant change and the philosophical and social implications of that change.
The Australian Blu-ray is region B and looks great. It's bare bones, so if a boutique label in the U.S or U.K picks it up we may see some bonus features. There is a UK DVD release with a commentary from Kim Newman that's worth picking up.

Nordicdusk 25th April 2016 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 178034

Most if not everyone her has seen the classic Robocop so when I heard about this like a lot of remakes I avoided it until last night my girlfriend said we will give it a shot anyway Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton are alway worth a watch if nothing else it had them going for it but could they save the film.

The plot :

In order to gain public approval of their robotics program OCP need a prospect they can sell to the public because the robots they use in combat can not be used on American soil. They decide the best way around this is to put a human with emotions and feelings inside one of the suits to get a law passed so they can take over from the cops and patrol the cities of America.

Acting:

The acting is a real mixed bag here as a big fan of the two actors I mentioned at the beginning I really enjoyed their screen time but one problem with Keatons villain role which is no fault of his own but for the head of an evil corporation he was pretty non threatening so the writing was pretty bad for his character. Samuel L Jackson was just his typical self shouting his head off for no reason don't get me wrong I'm a fan of his but he has played this exact same role in many films already again bad writing for another big actor can you see a pattern emerging here. Next up the guy who plays Murphy no idea what his name is but I'm not pushed to find out his acting was terrible he was as much a robot before he became Robocop as he was in the suit.

Visuals:

Visually the robots looked pretty impressive I didn't think it looked too cgi heavy they managed to make it look pretty realistic especially at they start when they were patrolling the Middle East and we saw plants of them n the screen at once. Even Robocop blazing around on his motorbike around the city weaving in and out of traffic was solid there was one bike scene towards the end that left a lot to be desired but still I found the rest solid.

Final Impressions :

I can't pretend that I was not comparing this to the original no matter how hard I tried not too but in the back of my mind I couldn't help it but that's only natural. I'm going to say right off the bat I did not enjoy this at all the first hour bored me so much I felt no connection to anyone no matter how hard to tried and they tried hard to get me emotionally involved with Murphy and his family but in the end I felt so disconnected from them I just didn't care. Even when Murphy delivered the iconic line dead or alive you're coming with me I just laughed because it came across forced and awkwardly cheesy like the actor was embaressed to even say it himself. I tried but I felt nothing watching this.

Film 4/10

4 for visuals alone.

J Harker 25th April 2016 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 487113)
Attachment 178034

Most if not everyone her has seen the classic Robocop so when I heard about this like a lot of remakes I avoided it until last night my girlfriend said we will give it a shot anyway Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton are alway worth a watch if nothing else it had them going for it but could they save the film.

The plot :

In order to gain public approval of their robotics program OCP need a prospect they can sell to the public because the robots they use in combat can not be used on American soil. They decide the best way around this is to put a human with emotions and feelings inside one of the suits to get a law passed so they can take over from the cops and patrol the cities of America.

Acting:

The acting is a real mixed bag here as a big fan of the two actors I mentioned at the beginning I really enjoyed their screen time but one problem with Keatons villain role which is no fault of his own but for the head of an evil corporation he was pretty non threatening so the writing was pretty bad for his character. Samuel L Jackson was just his typical self shouting his head off for no reason don't get me wrong I'm a fan of his but he has played this exact same role in many films already again bad writing for another big actor can you see a pattern emerging here. Next up the guy who plays Murphy no idea what his name is but I'm not pushed to find out his acting was terrible he was as much a robot before he became Robocop as he was in the suit.

Visuals:

Visually the robots looked pretty impressive I didn't think it looked too cgi heavy they managed to make it look pretty realistic especially at they start when they were patrolling the Middle East and we saw plants of them n the screen at once. Even Robocop blazing around on his motorbike around the city weaving in and out of traffic was solid there was one bike scene towards the end that left a lot to be desired but still I found the rest solid.

Final Impressions :

I can't pretend that I was not comparing this to the original no matter how hard I tried not too but in the back of my mind I couldn't help it but that's only natural. I'm going to say right off the bat I did not enjoy this at all the first hour bored me so much I felt no connection to anyone no matter how hard to tried and they tried hard to get me emotionally involved with Murphy and his family but in the end I felt so disconnected from them I just didn't care. Even when Murphy delivered the iconic line dead or alive you're coming with me I just laughed because it came across forced and awkwardly cheesy like the actor was embaressed to even say it himself. I tried but I felt nothing watching this.

Film 4/10

4 for visuals alone.

His name is Joel Kinnaman, he's a Swedish actor and he is easily the films biggest problem. Terrible casting. Good review though Nord, its an easy film to tear apart because it is pissing upon something so sacred but i do think its entertaining enough if not judged too harshly.

Demoncrat 25th April 2016 01:51 PM

Watched
Rambo (1985, George P Cosmatos)
Cannon just copied this film ad infinitum it seems. I cannot call it acting, I call it staring at a fixed point intently. Hilariously violent, homoerotic, hawkish comic book from the director of The Cassandra Crossing.

Sign O'The Times (1987, "Prince")
More or less a concert film ahem. No "Ballad of Dorothy Parker" but they shoehorn the Sheena bloody Easton in in a dream! Ahem. Under A Cherry Moon next methinks.

Easy Money (1983, James Signorelli)
Only watched this to see Jennifer Jason Leigh. Standard Dangerfield schtick here, not as crude as Back To School though...

Nordicdusk 25th April 2016 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 487115)
His name is Joel Kinnaman, he's a Swedish actor and he is easily the films biggest problem. Terrible casting. Good review though Nord, its an easy film to tear apart because it is pissing upon something so sacred but i do think its entertaining enough if not judged too harshly.

Sorry if it came across like I was picking on this film I want to do my reviews like this from here on just happened this was the first film I tried it with.

J Harker 25th April 2016 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 487124)
Sorry if it came across like I was picking on this film I want to do my reviews like this from here on just happened this was the first film I tried it with.

But it didn't, that was my point. Thats why i though it was a good review it was fair.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th April 2016 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 487124)

I also liked the review – it could have been far more scathing, as mine would have been!

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th April 2016 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 487132)
I also liked the review – it could have been far more scathing, as mine would have been!

I too liked the review. I've removed the film from my wishlist since reading it though. :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th April 2016 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 487134)
I too liked the review. I've removed the film from my wishlist since reading it though. :lol:

The film is completely soulless and largely bloodless – it's a little like RoboCop 3 in that respect. It doesn't even have the style of the Total Recall remake, so there's nothing to warrant a watch.

J Harker 25th April 2016 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 487136)
The film is completely soulless and largely bloodless – it's a little like RoboCop 3 in that respect. It doesn't even have the style of the Total Recall remake, so there's nothing to warrant a watch.

Oh its better than RoboCop. At least it doesn't have android bloody ninjas and RoboCop flying.

keirarts 25th April 2016 03:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 487132)

my review for the Robocop remake would have been a visual one.....

Attachment 178073

Prince_Vajda 25th April 2016 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 487116)
Watched
Rambo (1985, George P Cosmatos)
Cannon just copied this film ad infinitum it seems. I cannot call it acting, I call it staring at a fixed point intently. Hilariously violent, homoerotic, hawkish comic book from the director of The Cassandra Crossing.

As for me, Rambo is an excellent film. Good action, solid acting, and a great message. :nod:

Nordicdusk 25th April 2016 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 487140)
As for me, Rambo is an excellent film. Good action, solid acting, and a great message. :nod:

I'm a big fan of the Rambo films love all four films.