Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th July 2011 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 168572)
I just finished watching kuroneko(1968).A good classic japanese horror movie

Great film.

I'm very much looking forward to the Criterion Blu-ray, which is due for release this October.

Demoncrat 26th July 2011 10:13 AM

momentum's Prince of DarkNess...well thats how they spell it. i just love the description...Electrifying...Midnight...Undead.... Alien on the back cover. none of which describes the movie (though it sounds like a good film haha). hated this on release, but have warmed to it over time. its still very clunky (as is They Live if we're honest IMO) but there is a sense of dread that envelopes the film and i still love the ending...the commentry (momentum obviously didnt use spellcheck) is interesting as Carpenter's diffidence towards the film is an undercurrent...wish he'd do one for ITMOM!!

James Morton 26th July 2011 07:10 PM

What films have you seen recently?

saw SLAUGHTER HIGH last night
despite the 80's low budget look with cheesy music. fashions and dialogue, the death scenes and sfx were good

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th July 2011 07:19 PM

The Third Man - superb film-noir thriller. Good quality Blu, too.

Larry Cohen's Black Caesar - possibly the best Blaxploitation film ever made. Never tire of this one.

mercury 26th July 2011 07:22 PM

Watched Devil last night:pop2: Not the greatest film I have seen, but I really enjoyed this. Found this a bit chilling(during the dark sequences). Also liked the opening scenes. This grabbed my attention as it was a bit different:clap:

PaulD 26th July 2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 168739)
Watched Devil last night:pop2: Not the greatest film I have seen, but I really enjoyed this. Found this a bit chilling(during the dark sequences). Also liked the opening scenes. This grabbed my attention as it was a bit different:clap:

I caught most of that the other day on Sky Movies. Saw it at the cinema and still quite a decent film on a 2nd viewing.

I watched 500 Days of Summer last night. Not yer typical Cult Labs fare perhaps but a really good romantic-esque comedy. It grated at the start with all the Smiths/Belle and Sebastian/"hey we're a hip indie-music loving film" stuff but once that died down it made for a nice relaxing watch.

Just about to settle down to watch The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo for the very first time. Can't wait.

DryJack 26th July 2011 10:45 PM

Watched "Dance of the dead". I thought I was going to hate it but I actually enjoyed it a lot. Plenty of Eighties style gore. Also watched "The winter war". Excellent Finnish war movie about a period of history I knew nothing about.

pedromonkey 27th July 2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 168744)
Just about to settle down to watch The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo for the very first time. Can't wait.

i have all three of them but haven't gotten around to viewing them yet, the first is a apparently the best of the three...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryJack (Post 168785)
Watched "Dance of the dead". I thought I was going to hate it but I actually enjoyed it a lot. Plenty of Eighties style gore.

I highly rate Dance Of The Dead, it's one of my favourite of the recent low-budget zombie flicks, that and ZMD: Zombies Of Mass Destruction.

I watched a few films today, the first was a film called The Men that was on TCM and is Marlon Brando's first film, was very good story of Paraplegic war Veteran coming to terms with the loss of his legs.

Second film was JJ Abrams's Star Trek, saw it in the cinema and really disliked it, gave it a second viewing and found that this time i really did enjoy it, strange how that happens.

Final film of the day was Super, from James Gunn (Slither) which is a dark comedy about a guy who becomes a masked vigilante. It's been compared to Kick Ass but this is way more violent and dark than that film, this has a strange sort of Taxi Driver feel and the ending is very powerful. Great cast too that includes Rainn Wilson, Ellen Page, Michael Rooker, Liv Tyler and Kevin Bacon, Defo worth a watch.

nekromantik 27th July 2011 12:53 AM

Just seen the Spanish hand held cam horror Atrocious.

Now as far as hand held horror goes, this was decent.
It was much better then blair witch.

Its about a brother and sister whos parents take em to a old house thats been left there for 10 years. There is a local urban legend about a ghost in the woods next to the house and the kids film the events.

It is a bit slow starting up and nothing really big happens, Paranormal Activity has more action then this. I prefer PA over this for that reason.

If you enjoy these types of flicks its worth a watch.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 27th July 2011 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 168788)
Just seen the Spanish hand held cam horror Atrocious.

Now as far as hand held horror goes, this was decent.

So... it wasn't atrocious, then?! ;)