Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179631Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th December 2012, 08:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

So yesterday's viewing was:

The Graduate. Man, I love this film. It wasn't so long ago I re-watched it, but I wanted the OH to see it and I could honestly watch this film on repeat. A true Generation X film, Hoffman is brilliantly awkward as the twenty year old lost at sea in sixties suburban wealth and expectation. Anne Bancroft is divine as the bored and sultry Mrs Robinson who patiently seduces him; a smoky temptress in leopard print clothing. Katharine Ross is the sweet daughter whose heart will be broken. It's got the most terrific air of melancholy, perfectly complimented by the iconic Simon & Garfunkel soundtrack, while Nichols' and cinematographer Robert Surtees' lighting, framing and composition is divine, encapsulating Ben's suffocation with plenty of sweaty close-ups and angled shots. And it's funny, often tragicomic in moments such as Ben's inevitable showdown with the cuckolded Mr Robinson, or the ending in which Ben's shell shocked stare speaks volumes, despite winning his prize.

And last night, as is tradition, Bob Clark's masterpiece Black Christmas, another of my favourite films of all time. Billy is a terrifying screen presence; ever omnipresent and, more creepily, never explained. We follow him first person as he prowls round the house, and are only afforded snatched glimpses; but we hear him, and what worrying sounds he makes. What little Clark does show is highly unnerving - the crazed eyeball through the door crack still sends shivers down my spine and made the OH nervously shrink into the sofa. The cast are exceptional; even the supporting cast are well written and performed, in particular John Saxon's lieutenant, Keir Dullea's tempestuous boyfriend or Margot Kidder's sassy drunk. But Olivia Hussey's beautiful, cool protagonist is the stand out, a credit to her Thespian roots and my personal favourite "scream queen" - although the term seems oddly beneath her.
VicDakin, bdc, Invid Ninja and 1 others like this.
Old 26th December 2012, 07:00 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

images (1).jpg
VicDakin and sawyer6 like this.
Old 26th December 2012, 07:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default What films have you seen recently?

What films have you seen recently?

sospechosos_habituales_1995_7.jpg1dc948e3asttas.jpgse7en-movie-poster.jpg

laconfidential.jpgholiday on the buses.jpggetaway_ver2.jpg

electraglideinblue2d.jpg
Old 26th December 2012, 08:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's a Wonderful Life (1946) One of those movies that is shown almost every christmas, 'It's a Wonderful Life' started life as 'The Greatest Gift', a short story written by Philip Van Doren Stern in 1939 and published in 1945. George Bailey gives up on his lifes dreams in order to help the people of Bedford Falls fulfil theirs touching the lives of so many people along the way. But because of $8,000 of misplaced money George's life begins to crumble and just as he is about to commit suicide an angel steps in to show George what the town and the lives of its people would be like if he hadn't been born. Filmed in the middle of a sweltering July, 6,000 gallons of a new type of fake snow was used. Up until 'Its a Wonderful Life', cornflakes painted white were used to show snow. So innovative was this that the RKO Effects Department received a technical award from the Academy, but although the movie was nominated for five academy awards including 'Best Picture' 'Best Director' and 'Best Actor' it didnt win any. Great movie with a great performance from Stewart.
Old 26th December 2012, 08:09 PM
Cult Master

download.jpg

Thanks to Vics trailer reminding me i had this.
VicDakin and sawyer6 like this.
Old 26th December 2012, 08:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Films watched over xmas so far....

what more can you say? reminds me of saturday mornings as a kid, the saturday morning picture show!

Great big bug movie, I enjoyed this a lot.

Would love see a remake of this! Classic futursitic sport and can not understand why it did not catch on? I would have a season ticket!

Was never going to top the series I watched as a kid (or the book ever!) but enjoyable film that is so hard to put to film I think.

On paper it sounds ridiculous, man eating plants that shuffle at snails pace a threat to mankinkd?..... but I LOVE THIS MOVIE! scared me has a kid and now has a place in my heart. Its great my little lad loves it too!
Old 26th December 2012, 09:17 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Tetsuo Double Feature

My head hurts
You watched them both IN ONE SITTING?! No man has done this and survived!
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 26th December 2012, 09:49 PM
Cult Veteran

Dredd!
"I am the law"

Pretty good but watching it in a 2D version is slightly annoying since some of the scenes are obviously devised to be all 'in your face' especially the over-cooked slo-mo bits. Much better than the Stallone version though hahah.
I want to get a 3D tv and watch it again how it was intended to be seen.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 26th December 2012, 10:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Dredd!
"I am the law"

Pretty good but watching it in a 2D version is slightly annoying since some of the scenes are obviously devised to be all 'in your face' especially the over-cooked slo-mo bits. Much better than the Stallone version though hahah.
I want to get a 3D tv and watch it again how it was intended to be seen.
Love Judge Dredd, and can not wait see this.

3D? have not been the cinema watch a 3D film yet and can't see me doing so. Dont know why but I just see it as a gimmick and going... 'ooohhh! that looked like it was coming at me!'...novelty would soon wear off and doesnt warrant the extra bucks for a 3D T.V or for cinema entrance.

Now completely immersive T.V...Thats a different matter! where did I put that blue movie?
Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 26th December 2012, 10:28 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
Love Judge Dredd, and can not wait see this. 3D? have not been the cinema watch a 3D film yet and can't see me doing so. Dont know why but I just see it as a gimmick and going... 'ooohhh! that looked like it was coming at me!'...novelty would soon wear off and doesnt warrant the extra bucks for a 3D T.V or for cinema entrance.

Now completely immersive T.V...Thats a different matter! where did I put that blue movie?
You will not be disapointed. It's a true addaptation of the classic comic book character.

Like this? Share it using the links below!