Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179678Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th March 2024, 04:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cool Hand Luke. 1967.

Paul Newman plays Lucas "Luke" ex soldier now a convict sentenced to two years hard labour and becomes a anti-hero among the prisoners. George Kennedy who got a oscar for his performance and rightly so, portrays the main guy every prisoner follows and ends up forming a friendship with Luke after a beat down and a card game. The film does come with it's moments of hardship with the wardens trying to break every man yet Luke seems to be the one they can't break even after some escapes and gets caught. There is one good comical moment with the prisoners out working and a blondie decides to tease them all with a wet sponge and a car that you know the guys are going to get hot under the collar a bit too much. Certainly a masterpiece for acting and plenty of familiar faces in one movie.

image.jpg
Old 6th March 2024, 06:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Trauma (1993)

Asia Argento plays a troubled young woman who may hold the key to tracking down the serial killer who murdered her parents.

Sadly her semi romantic relationship with local journalist Christopher Rydell slows proceedings to a standstill and turns an average Argento thriller into a bore fest.

Even the murder set pieces that Dario Argento is renowned for are lacking mainly because the same technique - decapitation using an electric powered wire garrote - which although cool the first time becomes somewhat samey with each subsequent use.

The film looks terrible in that awful tv movie way, in fact it looks far worse than Dario's actual tv movies ; Door into Darkness, Masters of Horror and Do You Like Hitchcock?

For me this is comfortably Argento's worst film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TraumaPoster.jpg (25.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 6th March 2024, 08:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Trauma (1993)

Asia Argento plays a troubled young woman who may hold the key to tracking down the serial killer who murdered her parents.

Sadly her semi romantic relationship with local journalist Christopher Rydell slows proceedings to a standstill and turns an average Argento thriller into a bore fest.

Even the murder set pieces that Dario Argento is renowned for are lacking mainly because the same technique - decapitation using an electric powered wire garrote - which although cool the first time becomes somewhat samey with each subsequent use.

The film looks terrible in that awful tv movie way, in fact it looks far worse than Dario's actual tv movies ; Door into Darkness, Masters of Horror and Do You Like Hitchcock?

For me this is comfortably Argento's worst film.
I have always had a bit of a soft spot for Trauma especially with Brad Dourif's death.
nicholasrope and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 6th March 2024, 09:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I have always had a bit of a soft spot for Trauma especially with Brad Dourif's death.
That's the only one that's not by garotte. Same result though.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 6th March 2024, 10:02 PM
Cult Veteran

I like Trauma too, I?ve watched it twice since getting the Vinegar Syndrome blu last year.
nicholasrope and nosferatu42 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th March 2024, 10:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I like Trauma too, I?ve watched it twice since getting the Vinegar Syndrome blu last year.
The Blu probably doesn't look like it was recorded off the Hallmark Channel unlike the Tartan dvd.
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 7th March 2024, 04:01 AM
Cult Addict

I've always liked Trauma as well.
I mean, come on it's fackin' Piper Laurie on a mental one, and i'm sure the "Nicolas" thing as her head rolls off is reminiscent of Pit and the Pendulum, another Poe reference.

Anyway Dracula, The Card Player, Giallo and Phantom (which for me is Dario's ultimate shitfest) are all inferior to this one.

Get a grip.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 7th March 2024, 09:49 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Silent films are something I do enjoy they are films that speak for themselves with entertainment and at the time production values, Nosferatu and L'Inferno still creep me out, Passion Of Joan Or Arc this just jumps right in to the film and that's what made it more appealing to watch.
There are loads of silent films I would highly recommend, from Vampyr to M, Battleship Potemkin to The Thief of Baghdad, Sunrise: A Tale of Two Humans to Intolerance, The Cabinet of Dr Caligari to Der Golum, and more light-hearted films such as City Lights, The General, and Safety Last.

Actually, looking at the silent films made by Alfred Hitchcock, Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Fritz Lang, Sergei Eisenstein, F.W. Murnau, D.W. Griffith, and Victor Sjostrom unearths a huge range of themes, techniques, and genres.

Quote:
The Sting I saw parts of it when I was young as my dad enjoyed it and I asked him about it and all he said was "just take a look at it" Redford, Newman and Shaw were a great combination of actors that made the film more enjoyable and I agree it should have won a award
It's one of my dad's favourite films as well, a stylish, good-humoured crowdpleaser, and one that unsurprisingly won many plaudits for for its direction, acting, screenplay, editing, music, costumes, cinematography, and art direction. It was the big winner at the 46th Academy Awards, taking seven Oscars from its 10 nominations.
Old 7th March 2024, 12:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I've always liked Trauma as well.
I mean, come on it's fackin' Piper Laurie on a mental one, and i'm sure the "Nicolas" thing as her head rolls off is reminiscent of Pit and the Pendulum, another Poe reference.

Anyway Dracula, The Card Player, Giallo and Phantom (which for me is Dario's ultimate shitfest) are all inferior to this one.

Get a grip.
Sorry, but Piper Laurie being in it means nothing to me. I think i can count what i've seen her in on one hand - The Hustler, Carrie, Trauma, Twin Peaks and The Thorn Birds. And, because of The Thorn Birds it's probably more than you know her for.

Oh and Laurie herself said in 1997, Trauma was terrible, so much so that she never bothered to watch it.
Old 7th March 2024, 03:05 PM
Cult Addict

I always just really liked her due to Carrie being a favourite since a kid, I guess there's something about unhinged older women in films that i dig.
Billie Whitelaw in The Omen and Bette Davis in Whatever happened to Baby Jane being two other prime examples.

Laurie is also in The Faculty and features in Ruby another goofy 70's horror film that used to turn up on late night TV a lot, it's not a great film but it is quite warped and she's good in it, i've always liked it.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!